What's new

The new "Battlestar Galactica TV series" (1 Viewer)

Jason St Louis

Stunt Coordinator
I know as of late i have been posting to see if i could come up with anything to discuss with my fellow board members? since postings on the "Superman 2 Donner re-cut" want only one thread devoted to it? I thought i could direct my attention to a another cause seriously?
The recent "Battlestar Galactica" franchise has been fighting to come back as a major pilot and series all year! No dout that many sci-fi fans would be interested in seeing a comeback of this overlooked and underated franchise!
I want to start a thread devoted to the series return! Other sci-fi and fantasy based shows have a forum to discuss what they like about a TV show or dislike? with BSG coming back i thought it strange no one isn't talking about it here on the boards as much as other shows!
There has been silence about the new production and only over the recent weeks have anyone seen new designs and images from the new show (Although they were rejected designs?)
There has been a "Petition" (Which got 10,000+ votes)to keep studio's like FOX interested in doing the show and support it?
With movie and TV fans coming to "Home Theater Forum" and petitioning for what they want or matters of discussing favorite movies or series. I thought if anyone out there want a "Thread" to discuss "Galactica" here on HTF should come here.
When the series or pilot does go into production and starts filming:) or before it, wouldn't it be prudent if BSG fans or fans of sci-fi in general to share information gathered from internet or pass information on current developments on the production (Based in Vancouver, Canada) to others on this site? I want to take an example from "Star Wars Episode 2" since there is always news on "Star Wars"!:)
It take it if they can huddle together and discuss Star Wars related news and events the Battlestar Galactica fanbase can do the same?:) even though the news from the new Tom DeSanto Galactica is not coming through as much as we would like? :frowning:
There are many great show for Battlestar Galactica to go up against if it comes back? the yet to be aired B5: Legend of the Rangers, Enterprise, Farscape, Andromeda, X-Files(Still?)and other genre series would it be great to talk BSG along side those shows as well? ;) ;) ;) :emoji_thumbsup:
Here's hoping i can get someone on the Battlestar Galactica bandwagon even if the new production is taking time! :)
see ya

Jason Seaver

Senior HTF Member
Oh, gads, you're going to wake Jeff up again...

"Battlestar Galactica" is not coming back. Fox lost interest once Bryan Singer was off the production, and no-one else is interested in paying for it.

Besides, there are already three itinerant-spaceship shows in production (four if you count "Lexx" along with "Enterprise", "Andrommeda", and "Farscape"); do we really need another? If you want to revive great sci-fi TV shows, start with "Max Headroom" (Frewer & Pays could use the work, and it barely needs updating). Or even better, have the producers come up with something that's not a retread.

Jason St Louis

Stunt Coordinator
Come on fellow Jason's must not have negative attitudes (Laugh:D) your honestly going to say those things in light of the wave of sci-fi franchises out there?
Battlestar Galctica has potential that needs to be unlocked? imagination is whats needed! What would happen if Star Trek didn't have a movie franchise with ST: "The Motion Picture" then there would be no, "Wrath of Khan" or other sequels, no talk of doing a second series, NO ST: TNG, NO ST: DSN, ST: VOYAGER, NO ST: ENTERPRISE No Franchise!
I'm not a nerd or geek, what i am and others here are. Are "Genre Buffs" we like the Sci-fi and drama shows, are movies and DVD movie collections! chit chat on girls and piping ho's(Laugh:D :D )and other stuff! :)
The project is not dead in the water? so have faith? TV excutives are dumb! hopefully the sheep in the boardroom will follow the leader when one decides to say yes! and then Bryan Singer's buddy Tom DeSanto can give the fans what we want to see BSG again! ;)
Its safe to say we live in the era of "Genre" movie and TV Series! (9+ seasons of the X-Files says so) don't lose faith BSG and other shows we make a comeback!
All BSG fans come here to keep the faith:emoji_thumbsup:

Jason Seaver

Senior HTF Member
your honestly going to say those things in light of the wave of sci-fi franchises out there?
What, that Fox has lost interest and no-one else wants to finance it? Yeah.

That there are enough spaceship-oriented shows and retreads out there and that I'd like to see something new and exciting? Hell, yes.

Jason St Louis

Stunt Coordinator
I think you need to go to site such as WWW.BattlestarGalactica.com and WWW.BattlestarPegasus.com and Link Removed Link Removed for info on what the current situation on BSG really is? because i hear other parties other than Fox ARE interested!!!
The only reason you may be bored is because late 90's sci-fi shows and early 2001 shows still follow the same story telling style? i bet with good written scripts, original ideas and characters that make you give a damn! Old shows like BSG with new ideas built around the old story premise would still pull in new viewers!
I refuse to believe no one interested in that come on!!! :frowning:

Jason Seaver

Senior HTF Member
Um, Jason, only one of those links works.
The only reason you may be bored is because late 90's sci-fi shows and early 2001 shows still follow the same story telling style? i bet with good written scripts, original ideas and characters that make you give a damn!
And those well-written scripts, original ideas and characters aren't a given. Heck, the very basis of the show is not being an original idea, but redoing something that's been successful before.

And I'm not so much bored with current sci-fi as I am sated - between them, "Farscape", "Andromeda", and "Enterprise" produce 70 new one-hour episodes of spaceship sci-fi per year. I'm grateful, don't get me wrong, but I'd like to see something else, too, something as exciting and clever and creative and completely new from the ground up as "Max Headroom" was in its day.

My question about a "Galactica '02" series is basically the same question I had about "Enterprise": What does it get me that I'm not already getting from what's already available? What else could the production budget be used on that might be more original?

Jeff Kleist

Senior HTF Member
Last I heard DeSanto is currently seeking another director. All of the sets and costumes are finished, actors are signed. Apparently Singer is asking friends of equal caliber to do it etc etc

Fox wants to do it, they just want a big name to attach to it for the premiere

Jason St Louis

Stunt Coordinator
Well Mr Seaver Jeff's here!

As for Galactica's premise being original well it is! Humans looking for Earth almost as if they are the Aliens? Let face facts BSG was looking for the "3rd rock from the Sun" (a little humor) way before ST: Voyager was.

and had more references to ancient earth than Stargate-SG1 (which is in my opinion inferior to the movie?!)

One can only wait and see what becomes of the efforts to revive this show and watch the unfolding developments to see which one of us is right!

Jason Seaver

Senior HTF Member
As for Galactica's premise being original well it is! Humans looking for Earth almost as if they are the Aliens? Let face facts BSG was looking for the "3rd rock from the Sun" (a little humor) way before ST: Voyager was.
So, it was original... 25 years ago. Whoop-de-smeggin-doo!

Jason St Louis

Stunt Coordinator
"Whoop-de-smeggin-do?" yeah right! remember this is the Battlestar Galactica thread? you should make your "Red Dwarf" thread on your own time?:frowning:
If don't like Galactica then why post here???:frowning:

Jeff Kleist

Senior HTF Member
Yes, it was original 25 years ago, and even the network later regretted canning it (and then tried to apologize with The-Series-That Shall-Not-Be-Named). Awesome show, awesome concept, I'll watch any new programming they bring on.
Have to disagree on Stargate Mr. St. Louis, SG-1 is far superior to the movie. Of course it has had the advantage of much more time to develop, and a lack of Roland Emmerich :)

Jason St Louis

Stunt Coordinator
Well you have the right to your opinion, but the movie had more going for it, Kurt Russell's Colonel O'neill is far more believeble as a military man and has more pathos, than the comic relief "MacGuyver" version of O'neill? Lets face facts, if movie never was done then the series would not be around? but i still respect your opinions!

Back to the point does any want to share anything on BSG!

Jon_B

Screenwriter
I loved watching Battlestar Galactica. I was only a wee little lad, but I still enjoyed the series.

As for StarGate, the movie was good but the series is excellent. I'd take Dean Anderson and Michael Shanks over Kurt Russell and James Spader anytime.

Jon

Jason St Louis

Stunt Coordinator
Well i still say the movie versions of those characters would, beat the TV versions!
The TV series destroyed the chance of a sequel or movie series! say what you want about "Independance Day" from Roland Emmerich and Dean Delvin, but Stargate was a movie franchise thing?
But hey ISN'T THIS THREAD SUPPOSE TO BE ABOUT GALACTICA :)

Jeff Kleist

Senior HTF Member
There are SG-1 movies coming after the series concludes next year(my final word on Stargate)
BSG was never really "The Odyssey" except in a very baseline way. The only similarity is that they are wandering blind looking for a place. It could be argued that the Ship of Lights is like the gods, but they really didn't have the whims and pettiness that the Greek gods presented. The analogy really isn't valid to that
I am a walking encyclopedia of Galactica lore, ask me anything ;)
My DVD is signed by Richard Hatch, Anne Lockhart (yes, I know she wasn't in the pilot), Jack Stauffer(ditto), Dirk Benedict, John Colicos(RIP), and Herb Jefferson :) That's the only reason why I'm hoping NOT to have an SE show up :)
I've also met Sarah Rush(Rigel, aka "Launch all vipers girl), Terry "The Man" Carter (Col Tigh), Ron Kelly(It's late, I believe that's his name, I could be remembering his real name and not the name he acted under. He's now a TV reporter in San Diego) (Reese), Laurette Spang (Cassiopeia), Kent McCord(OK, he was G80, but was supposed to be on Galactica season 2. I can tell the entire story of how G80 came about and how he got roped into it if people care to hear it) and just about seemingly the entire FX team (that was an AMAZING 2 hours of conversation! These same guys did Space Above & Beyond and parts of From the Earth to the Moon)
So basically through talking with all these guys, I have amassed enough info I should write a book :)

Jeff Kleist

Senior HTF Member
First, Fox controls the new Galactica, and they pulled Singer off to work on X-Men 2 instead :frowning:
OK, in a nutshell
After they canned Galactica, ABC got a storm of letters of protest, and the show they replaced it with on Sundays didn't pull in NEAR the numbers (The show was cancelled because it was really expensive and not in the top 5, it was coming in at something like 11 for the week though)
Sooooooo, they called up Glen Larson and said "Hey, we want you to make us a TV movie where Galactica finds Earth, you have 5 months" This of course, was after they trashed all the sets, etc etc. Glen said OK, and started writing. 2 weeks later, they called him up again. "We want a miniseries in 4 months now" Glen said OK. couple weeks later "We want a series, you have 6 weeks, and it's gotta have motorcycles like CHiPS!" Sooo, poor Kent McCord, who had signed for Galactica season 2, and for some reason there was a clause that said he had to do 80 since it was technically season 2, and that other guy, slapped that hunk of #$#@$ together in 6 weeks and aired it. Shows were literally finished at the last minute (if you look at some of the "next time on G:80" segments you see unfinished FX all over the place).
Kent later went on to play many, many great roles, including his more recent (right after I met him) turn as John Crichton's father in Farscape. Actually, when I met John Colicos for the first time, he was about to film the episode of DS9 where Kor dies, and he told me "...I haven't read the script, but I hope they kill me this time. I'm just too damn old to go through that makeup again" :) I also forgot to mention I ALMOST met Ed Begley Jr., but he had foot surgery the Thursday before the Galactica con. His wife had to physically restrain him from going, he wanted to so badly! :) DARN! :frowning:

Jason St Louis

Stunt Coordinator
O.K. Jeff! i know you've said this on the other Galactica post but?
Explain the "Cloven hoof footage" thing from "War of the Gods" which was said to be filmed but cut out?! (even you got to agree its part of "Galactica Lore") Everyone talks about the "Hoof Footage" when talking about that episode? too many people have brought it up?
That scene when Apollo looks in is badly edited looks like something was cut? or moved around haphazzardly! (Look at the episode again and see that Starbuck is running to see what Apollo is gazing at but in the next shot is backing out looking shocked?)
My second question is do you know how much footage exactly was filmed for the pilot (i.e. The Serina cut scenes, Cassiopia's death on Carillon? Longer extended scenes of the destruction of the colonies!, extended scenes of Starbuck and Athena on the Galactica bridge? and the Carillon bar! scenes)
O.K. :) Now let the sharing of info begin:emoji_thumbsup:

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation821
Recent bookmarks