What's new

Film projection vs digital (1 Viewer)

snoopy28574

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Stephen Batchelor
I recently viewed Iron Man 3. It appeared to be a aging film print. Just about all the movies I have seen in the past year were described as being digitally projected and looked great. I understand that film has greater resolution, but it seems to me that we lose more than we gain when its projected in the cinema.

I have not had the pleasure recently to view a large screen IMAX presentation. Does a digitally shot movie suffer that much on a screen that big ? I'm speaking of 2k here.

I also wonder if the original shooting of film itself is a problem. Now I love the look of film, but watching the directors cut of kingdom of heaven on blue ray revealed some minor problems for me. I do not have a direct to digital blue ray for comparison yet. I intend to purchase Avatar for that purpose.

I have seen a BBC documentary on blue ray before, the Galapagos Islands, it had its moments where it was spectacular. I know we don't want our movies looking like TV, but I wonder if digital is the new way to go for cinema too.

For new movies are we scanning the original negatives to make the digital intermediate or are we scanning the resulting positives ? Could this be part of the problem for the eventual blue ray ? If there is one at all. I assume movies which are intended for a IMAX presentation are mastered to film.

On a final note, I admit im to picky and want the impossible at times

Joseph DeMartino

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joseph DeMartino
I recently viewed Iron Man 3.
Wow. This may be our first post from an actual time traveller. How was it?

I'll leave the serious discussion of film vs. digital projection and mastering sources for new films to the experts But I would like to welcome you to the forum.

Regards,

Joe

P.S.

On a final note, I admit im to picky and want the impossible at times

So it sounds like we dated at some point, but I don't remember ever going out with a girl named "Stephen".

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
Digital projection is firmly in place, and is about to get even better.

RAH

Minytisny

Auditioning
Real Name
Miny tisny
if the picture has a black area in it, the film would be clear in that area.. but in a projector film the colors will corrispond correctly. red on wall means red on film and so on and so forth.. so in conclusion. they might need a different projector , printer or machine to print those type of pictures out..
good luck and i hope this helped.
http://in.zorpia.com/MiaHogana/video/296760/African_Mango_Ultra

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks