Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

Film projection vs digital

Robert Harris

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
6 replies to this topic

#1 of 7 OFFLINE   snoopy28574

snoopy28574

Stunt Coordinator

• 84 posts

Posted May 24 2010 - 03:12 PM

I recently viewed Iron Man 3. It appeared to be a aging film print. Just about all the movies I have seen in the past year were described as being digitally projected and looked great. I understand that film has greater resolution, but it seems to me that we lose more than we gain when its projected in the cinema.

I have not had the pleasure recently to view a large screen IMAX presentation. Does a digitally shot movie suffer that much on a screen that big ? I'm speaking of 2k here.

I also wonder if the original shooting of film itself is a problem. Now I love the look of film, but watching the directors cut of kingdom of heaven on blue ray revealed some minor problems for me. I do not have a direct to digital blue ray for comparison yet. I intend to purchase Avatar for that purpose.

I have seen a BBC documentary on blue ray before, the Galapagos Islands, it had its moments where it was spectacular. I know we don't want our movies looking like TV, but I wonder if digital is the new way to go for cinema too.

For new movies are we scanning the original negatives to make the digital intermediate or are we scanning the resulting positives ? Could this be part of the problem for the eventual blue ray ? If there is one at all. I assume movies which are intended for a IMAX presentation are mastered to film.

On a final note, I admit im to picky and want the impossible at times

#2 of 7 OFFLINE   Joseph DeMartino

Joseph DeMartino

Lead Actor

• 8,303 posts
  • LocationFlorida

Posted May 27 2010 - 01:33 AM

I recently viewed Iron Man 3.

Wow.  This may be our first post from an actual time traveller.  /img/vbsmilies/htf/laugh.gif  How was it?

I'll leave the serious discussion of film vs. digital projection and mastering sources for new films to the experts  But I would like to welcome you to the forum.

Regards,

Joe

P.S.

Quote:
On a final note, I admit im to picky and want the impossible at times

So it sounds like we dated at some point, but I don't remember ever going out with a girl named "Stephen". 

#3 of 7 OFFLINE   snoopy28574

snoopy28574

Stunt Coordinator

• 84 posts

Posted May 27 2010 - 01:53 PM

I would not have caught that if I had not read your reply.

#4 of 7 OFFLINE   Robert Harris

Robert Harris

Lead Actor

• 7,597 posts

Posted June 03 2010 - 01:44 AM

Digital projection is firmly in place, and is about to get even better.

RAH

"All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find that it was vanity: but the dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible. This I did." T.E. Lawrence

#5 of 7 OFFLINE   snoopy28574

snoopy28574

Stunt Coordinator

• 84 posts

Posted June 03 2010 - 02:44 AM

Thanks for the info. Always informative.

#6 of 7 OFFLINE   revgen

revgen

Second Unit

• 372 posts

Posted July 10 2010 - 07:29 AM

Originally Posted by Robert Harris 

Digital projection is firmly in place, and is about to get even better.

RAH

If you write an article on the subject, I will be the first to read it.

#7 of 7 OFFLINE   Minytisny

Minytisny

Auditioning

• 1 posts

Posted June 03 2011 - 05:12 PM

if the picture has a black area in it, the film would be clear in that area.. but in a projector film the colors will corrispond correctly. red on wall means red on film and so on and so forth.. so in conclusion. they might need a different projector , printer or machine to print those type of pictures out..
good luck and i hope this helped.
http://in.zorpia.com...can_Mango_Ultra