What's new

Looking for a Good Sub for Marantz SR8002 Receiver (1 Viewer)

scout228

Auditioning
Real Name
John R
Had an old passive sub that I rigged to run for my Marantz SR8002 receiver for a little while (mostly just to prolong the current setup until I moved the equipment to a dedicated HT room). Now that everything is settled, I wanted to get some takes on what type of subwoofer would work best for my receiver.

I would like to, if possible, stay under $500. I've considered the

• Def Tech ProSub 800 8" (300-Watt) or
  • Def Tech ProSub 1000 10" (300-Watt) or
  • MartinLogan Dynamo 500 10" (360-Watt).

But have no working knowledge on any of them. The room itself is about 15' x 15'

Any suggestions and/or experience to back it up?

scout228

Auditioning
Real Name
John R
How do these pair against my original choices?

Are there any major differences between the 2 makes/models?

John Garcia

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
ED wouldn't be among my top choices if you are looking for great product support IMO.

I would stick with the manufacturers that are already well established and are known for excellent service. The HSU Research VTF-2 MkIII is just above your price and will do very well. The SVS PB-10 is actually not available at this time, so you would need to look at the PB-12 which is also above your range, but would be an excellent choice as well. I've owned a 1st generation PB-10 and a 1st generation VTF-2 and both were great.

http://www.hsuresearch.com/products/vtf-2-mk3.html

gene c

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gene
I had an SVS sub a few years ago but it was way too much for my environment (apartment). I sold it (regretably) to a co-worker. I haven't owned an ED sub but others here on this forum highly recommend them so I alsways include them as well

You will get much better value from an ID speaker/sub company than from a BM one. Just look at their weights. The ML and Def Tech subs weight around 35-40 lbs but the SVS and ED subs weight 60-70 lbs. But this also means they are probably larger than the DT and ML subs if space is limited.

scout228

Auditioning
Real Name
John R
Given the room I would say the limitation factors of my older passive sub would have been a problem, but I'd want to stick to something that is suitable for the size without overpowering it.

Is the PB-10 not available right now from the manufacturer? Are there other resellers that have it in stock or is it a strict ID thing?

The "sweet spot" here is that I must stay under 500

gene c

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gene
They are an ID company with no resellers. I didn't realize they were out of stock but I think they are worth the wait.

Robert_J

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
eD's customer support has improved over the years but they do drop the ball every once in a while. Most of their issues are solved if you call the factory in Iowa.

All things being equal, I'd pick SVS over eD but eD does have better prices on equivalent subs.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
maanw2357
Recent bookmarks