Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

TCFHE Press Release: Predator: Ultimate Hunter Edition (Blu-ray)

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
77 replies to this topic

#1 of 78 OFFLINE   Ronald Epstein

Ronald Epstein

Studio Mogul

• 40,547 posts

Posted May 24 2010 - 11:13 AM

Posted Image
IT CAME FOR THE THRILL OF THE HUNT

PREDATOR
ULTIMATE HUNTER EDITION

Arnold Schwarzenegger Stars In The Original Sci-Fi Action Hit Arriving On Blu-ray June 29 Featuring An All-New Digital Restoration Of The Film And Retrospective Documentary

Includes $10 Movie Money For Predators – In Theaters Everywhere July 9
Posted Image

LOS ANGELES, CA (May 20, 2010) – “If it bleeds, we can kill it…” The ultimate warrior faces the ultimate enemy when Predator: Ultimate Hunter Edition arrives on Blu-ray with a stunning new restored transfer on June 29 from Twentieth Century Fox Home Entertainment. Available just in time for the theatrical debut of Predators on July 9, the Blu-ray includes $10 in Movie Money to see the latest film in theaters across the country.

Dutch (Arnold Schwarzenegger; The Terminator) wages an all-out war against an unseen enemy, a force more powerful and deadly than any on Earth-because the Predator is not of this Earth. As he leads an elite group of commandos on a rescue mission deep into the jungle, Dutch and his team quickly learn that their foe kills for pleasure and hunts for sport. However, this time….it picked the wrong man to hunt.

Directed by John McTiernan (Die Hard), Predator also stars Carl Weathers (Rocky), Michael Biehn (The Terminator) and Jesse Ventura (The Running Man). Along with a complete digital restoration of the film, the all-new Predator: Ultimate Hunter Edition Blu-ray is loaded with extras including a sneak-peek at the upcoming Predators, an all-new documentary entitled “Evolution of the Species: Hunters of Extreme Perfection” featuring interviews with Predators producer Robert Rodriguez, director Nimród Antal and original Predator producer John Davis, a feature-length commentary by John McTiernan, making-of documentaries, behind-the-scenes footage and much more. The Blu-ray will be available for a suggested retail price of $29.99 U.S./$37.99 Canada.

Predator: Ultimate Hunter Edition Blu-ray Special Features: (Catalog #2268509)
ALL-NEW Digital Restoration of Predator
ALL-NEW Sneak Peak at Predators
ALL-NEW “Evolution of the Species: Hunters of Extreme Perfection” Featurette
Feature-Length Audio Commentary by John McTiernan
Text Commentary by Historian Eric Lichtensfeld
“If It Bleeds, We Can Kill It” Making-Of Documentary
“Inside The Predator” Documentary
Special Effects Featurettes
Deleted Scenes and Outtakes
Short Takes
Theatrical Trailers
Photo Galleries
Predator Profile

About Twentieth Century Fox Home Entertainment
Twentieth Century Fox Home Entertainment, LLC (TCFHE) is a recognized global industry leader and a subsidiary of Twentieth Century Fox Film Corporation, a News Corporation company. Representing 75 years of innovative and award-winning filmmaking from Twentieth Century Fox, TCFHE is the worldwide marketing, sales and distribution company for all Fox film and television programming, acquisitions and original productions on DVD, Blu-ray Disc Digital Copy, Video On Demand and Digital Download. The company also releases all products globally for MGM Home Entertainment. Each year TCFHE introduces hundreds of new and newly enhanced products, which it services to retail outlets from mass merchants and warehouse clubs to specialty stores and e-commerce throughout the world.

# # #

Follow TCFHE on Twitter @foxhomeent

PREDATOR: ULTIMATE HUNTER EDITION BLU-RAY
Street Date: June 29, 2010
Prebook Date: June 2, 2010
Screen Format: Widescreen – 1.85:1
Audio: English 5.1 DTS HD Master Audio, English 4.0 Dolby Surround, Spanish 5.1 Dolby Digital and French 5.1 DTS
Subtitles: English/French/Spanish
U.S. Rating: R
Total Run Time: 108 minutes
Closed Captioned: Yes
Posted Image

Ronald J Epstein
Home Theater Forum co-owner

Click Here for the latest/hottest Blu-ray Preorders  Click Here for our complete Blu-ray review archive

Click Here for our complete 3D Blu-ray review archive Click Here for our complete DVD review archive

Click Here for Blu-Ray Preorder Release Schedule  Click Here for forum posting rules and regulations

#2 of 78 OFFLINE   Jeff Robertson

Jeff Robertson

Second Unit

• 458 posts

Posted May 24 2010 - 04:11 PM

ALL-NEW Digital Restoration of Predator

Let the dissection begin!

#3 of 78 OFFLINE   oscar_merkx

oscar_merkx

Lead Actor

• 7,632 posts

Posted May 24 2010 - 11:21 PM

always thought this was one of the better Arnie movies

Toastmasters International

Communication is Everything

#4 of 78 OFFLINE   Holer

Holer

Stunt Coordinator

• 233 posts

Posted May 25 2010 - 12:13 AM

Still ticks me off that they release another version of the film with a new transfer. It wasn't that long ago that they released it on Blu the first time. Between this and the decision to release the 'Man with No Name' movies only in a set so that those of use who already have TGTBATU must buy it again really sticks in my craw.

All this double and triple dipping is just inexcusable for a format this young and really points up how much utter indifference the studios have for their customers. This is especially irritating in that this is still very much a niche market, especially when it comes to catalog titles. When Sony releases 'Jason and the Argonauts', will they then follow it up six months later with another Harryhausen box packaging the same movie with other films that are only available in the box, like they did last time?

It gets to the point where you're really afraid to make a purchase because you don't know what is coming next. If the studios offer some kind of rebate program, fine, but a lot of them don't. I'm glad that the studios are taking the time to make the best transfers possible, but don't release a shit transfer in the first place just to make a quick buck. That's nothing but a big F-You to the consumer and I think, sooner or later it's going to come back to bite them in the butt.

#5 of 78 ONLINE   Worth

Worth

Screenwriter

• 1,176 posts

Posted May 25 2010 - 01:38 AM

I'm a little skeptical about the "all new digital restoration". I saw this a couple of times when it came out and the current blu-ray replicates the look of the film faithfully as I remember it.

I wonder if the new disc will be a real improvement or if they'll just DNR it to death in order to appease the grain haters.

Sealed with a curse as sharp as a knife. Doomed is your soul and damned is your life.

#6 of 78 ONLINE   Worth

Worth

Screenwriter

• 1,176 posts

Posted May 25 2010 - 01:38 AM

I'm a little skeptical about the "all new digital restoration". I saw this a couple of times when it came out and the current blu-ray replicates the look of the film faithfully as I remember it.

I wonder if the new disc will be a real improvement or if they'll just DNR it to death in order to appease the grain haters.

Sealed with a curse as sharp as a knife. Doomed is your soul and damned is your life.

#7 of 78 OFFLINE   Stephen_J_H

Stephen_J_H

Producer

• 4,075 posts
  • LocationNorth of the 49th

Posted May 25 2010 - 07:50 AM

It'll probably just be a re-encode in AVC to make room for special features. If it's DNRed to death, I'm sure we'll get fair warning.

"My opinion is that (a) anyone who actually works in a video store and does not understand letterboxing has given up on life, and (b) any customer who prefers to have the sides of a movie hacked off should not be licensed to operate a video player."-- Roger Ebert

#8 of 78 OFFLINE   Jeff Robertson

Jeff Robertson

Second Unit

• 458 posts

Posted May 25 2010 - 08:34 AM

But a re-encode alone wouldn't be enough for anyone to notice. DNRing it would, unfortunately (for those that like it and hate it). I'm hoping it will be something more along the lines of revisiting source material but we all know the cost is too prohibitive.

#9 of 78 OFFLINE   joshEH

joshEH

Producer

• 3,093 posts
  • LocationRoom 303, The Heart O' The City Hotel

Posted June 06 2010 - 03:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Holer 

Still ticks me off that they release another version of the film with a new transfer. It wasn't that long ago that they released it on Blu the first time. Between this and the decision to release the 'Man with No Name' movies only in a set so that those of use who already have TGTBATU must buy it again really sticks in my craw.

All this double and triple dipping is just inexcusable for a format this young and really points up how much utter indifference the studios have for their customers. This is especially irritating in that this is still very much a niche market, especially when it comes to catalog titles. When Sony releases 'Jason and the Argonauts', will they then follow it up six months later with another Harryhausen box packaging the same movie with other films that are only available in the box, like they did last time?

It gets to the point where you're really afraid to make a purchase because you don't know what is coming next. If the studios offer some kind of rebate program, fine, but a lot of them don't. I'm glad that the studios are taking the time to make the best transfers possible, but don't release a shit transfer in the first place just to make a quick buck. That's nothing but a big F-You to the consumer and I think, sooner or later it's going to come back to bite them in the butt.

The original Blu-Ray looks like utter crap, though. Anything new could only be a huge improvement, at this point.

"Pablo, please take Chet's corpse into the other room, and then fix Mr. Hallenbeck a drink."

#10 of 78 ONLINE   Worth

Worth

Screenwriter

• 1,176 posts

Posted June 08 2010 - 02:30 AM

Originally Posted by joshEH 

Quote:

The original Blu-Ray looks like utter crap, though. Anything new could only be a huge improvement, at this point.

You can argue that the film looks like crap, but the transfer is pretty faithful to the source.

Things aren't looking too good for this new edition, though. A (not terribly good) translation of a German review:

http://www.hd-report...dition-blu-ray/

At the first meeting of Carl Weathers and Arnold Schwarzenegger Weathers looks as if he or silk fabric would have been filmed by a scattering filter. This shows his face any pores or wrinkles and looks like a wax doll, similar to "The Longest Day". The anti-noise filter has massive problems with movement and produced here frayed, soft edges. Here and noise is also seen standing. In the jungle, when the camera pans slowly to be very, denoised, the edges smooth and clean and the picture looks from a distance a little bit of plastic and clear. This image appears however, that any artificial or digital, that is, relatively sharp edges and small details within these edges. This effect can not be with the image of, for example, "The Untouchables - The Untouchables"or"dust million from Charlie - The Italian Jobcompare ", because there was the picture still tolerable. The image is sometimes a touch too dark, other times is the black level low and the black looks gray.For film grain haters may represent an improvement in this new version, but the image has nothing to film-like reproduction of the original material.

#11 of 78 OFFLINE   joshEH

joshEH

Producer

• 3,093 posts
  • LocationRoom 303, The Heart O' The City Hotel

Posted June 08 2010 - 04:39 AM

It's just that the version that's out now looks unflinchingly in certain places like a swarm of Mexican mosquitoes are obscuring the director's framing -- a major Iraqi sandstorm-effect, that could've been mitigated slightly. I'm no film-grain hater, but for a movie that was shot as relatively recently as this one, the sheer speckage and dust is almost kinda absurd, especially given this format.

If they keep the original transfer, and simply do a better cleanup job, that'll certainly be fine with me.

"Pablo, please take Chet's corpse into the other room, and then fix Mr. Hallenbeck a drink."

#12 of 78 OFFLINE   Christian Preischl

Christian Preischl

Screenwriter

• 1,376 posts

Posted June 08 2010 - 04:54 AM

They even included an English outline below their German review. The gist: save your money.

English (outline):
- the picture was heavily treated with DVNR and/or degraining tools
- details are effectively lower than on the previous version
- picture looks somewhat “digital” or “artificial”
+ scenes in the jungle (with slow pans) offer (from a distance) a small bit of 3-dimensionality

#13 of 78 OFFLINE   Michael Osadciw

Michael Osadciw

Screenwriter

• 1,325 posts

Posted June 09 2010 - 01:47 PM

this is going to be a funny discussion.  People complained that the original BD (and DVD) looked too grainy.  Now people will complain that it's been wiped out and want it back again.  Is there a middle between the two?  Probably not.  My guess is that the grainy image was one that best represented the film.  I've always wondered about those "hot reds" though...they've never looked right.  Based on the comments from this German site, did they take the existing master and feed it through every possible electronic tool for something completely different?

It would be nice to have an insider on this one...

Warner Bros. Blu-ray Reviewer
Anchor Bay/Starz Entertainment Blu-ray Reviewer

THX/ISF Professional Video Calibrator
HIGHEST FIDELITY CALIBRATIONS

#14 of 78 OFFLINE   Inspector Hammer!

Inspector Hammer!

Executive Producer

• 11,067 posts
  • LocationWilmington, Delaware

Posted June 09 2010 - 03:15 PM

I see all the time people say "the BD looks like crap, looks dark, looks grainy" but what they fail to realize is that this is how the film has always looked, even in theaters.

As long as they don't DNR it to death and take away from what the film is supposed to look like than I'm all for this release.

Not really concerned about the extras, all of that is on the DVD special edition including McTiernan's sleep-inducing commentary.

"That's Jack Bauer!!!!!! He's coming for me!!!!!" - Charles Logan

#15 of 78 ONLINE   Robert Crawford

Robert Crawford

Studio Mogul

• 25,025 posts
  • LocationMichigan

Posted June 09 2010 - 09:22 PM

I agree with Michael and John about the current Blu-ray representing what the film looked like during its theatrical run.

Crawdaddy

Crawdaddy

Blu-ray Preorder Listing

#16 of 78 OFFLINE   Brian Borst

Brian Borst

Screenwriter

• 1,137 posts

Posted June 10 2010 - 06:25 AM

For me, the movie spread out on a BD-50 with an AVC encode, and with every extra from the 2-disc DVD would've been enough. I thought Fox was on the right track, concerning their BDs? Maybe I'll pick up the older while I still have the chance. I don't see a second re-release coming that soon.

Never go out with anyone who thinks Fellini is a type of cheese

My Blu-Ray/DVD Collection

#17 of 78 OFFLINE   T.Konradt

T.Konradt

Auditioning

• 3 posts

Posted June 11 2010 - 04:16 AM

Originally Posted by Worth 

You can argue that the film looks like crap, but the transfer is pretty faithful to the source.

Things aren't looking too good for this new edition, though. A (not terribly good) translation of a German review:

Due to the heavy traffic my little review experienced in the last few days, I added a detailed English text.

So the terrible translation is no longer necessary ;-)

So, here it is
"“Predator” was shot flat on 35 mm film. It is well known that due to the used film stocks and the shooting conditions the picture of “Predator” was always a bit rough, raw and grainy. The DVD verions offered a quite grainy but also somewhat dirty picture. Only little DNR was applied on the DVD versions. The first Blu-ray edition offered (except for the higher resolution) a similar picture quality as the DVD. But the quality was not really convincing and everybody hoped for a real restoration. This new “Ultimate Hunter Edition” was announced (on US sites) as beeing “digitally remastered”. The German press release reads like “For the first time the cult movie will be available uncut and rated FSK 16. Additionally Fox splashes out a new HD master and a lot of unseen special features”. But after putting the disc in and clicking on “Play” we are confronted with a soft and blurry version of the 80’s FOX logo. It is quite unlikely that this BD originates from a new HD master drawn from the original camera negatives. The credits were treated in a similar way: no grain and a bit of edge enhancement to make the letters stand out. In the smoky scene were Carl Weathers meet Arnold Schwarzenegger, Weathers looks like he has been filmed through a fog filter or a fine net stretched across the lens. Thus, his face has neither pores nor wrinkles and it looks like a waxwork from Madame Tussauds, like a lot of faces in “The Longest Day” or “Patton”. The degrain/denoise filter was not optimised for movement and creates hazy/soft edges. In the jungle scenes where the camera pans are much slower, the filter works better and the edges are cleaner and sharper. So (from a distance) the picture offers even a sense of 3-dimensional depth. However, the picture looks a bit “digital” and/or artificial, with sharp edges and low detail inbetween these edges. This effects is not like those of “The Untouchables” or “The Italian Job” - the picture quality of those BDs was still somehow bearable. The picture is sometimes a bit too dark, sometimes the black levels are a bit weak and look greyish. For the so called “film grain haters” this new version may be a welcome improvement - however, this picture quality has nothing to do with a filmlike reproduction of the source material. Maybe Fox can persuade John McTiernan and Don McAlpine to supervise a new transfer (from the OCN) so Fox can sell a new “25th Anniversary Edition” in 2012."

But I was wrong about my assumption that is quite unlikely that this BD originates from a new HD master:

I received feedback from Fox Germany today that, believe it or not, a brand new HD master was used for this new BD.

They just should have left out that heavy DNR....

Thomas Konradt

hd-reporter.de

#18 of 78 OFFLINE   T.Konradt

T.Konradt

Auditioning

• 3 posts

Posted June 11 2010 - 04:27 AM

Originally Posted by Worth 

Due to the heavy traffic my little review experienced in the last few days, I added a detailed English text.

So the terrible translation is no longer necessary ;-)

So, here it is
"“Predator” was shot flat on 35 mm film. It is well known that due to the used film stocks and the shooting conditions the picture of “Predator” was always a bit rough, raw and grainy. The DVD verions offered a quite grainy but also somewhat dirty picture. Only little DNR was applied on the DVD versions. The first Blu-ray edition offered (except for the higher resolution) a similar picture quality as the DVD. But the quality was not really convincing and everybody hoped for a real restoration. This new “Ultimate Hunter Edition” was announced (on US sites) as beeing “digitally remastered”. The German press release reads like “For the first time the cult movie will be available uncut and rated FSK 16. Additionally Fox splashes out a new HD master and a lot of unseen special features”. But after putting the disc in and clicking on “Play” we are confronted with a soft and blurry version of the 80’s FOX logo. It is quite unlikely that this BD originates from a new HD master drawn from the original camera negatives. The credits were treated in a similar way: no grain and a bit of edge enhancement to make the letters stand out. In the smoky scene were Carl Weathers meet Arnold Schwarzenegger, Weathers looks like he has been filmed through a fog filter or a fine net stretched across the lens. Thus, his face has neither pores nor wrinkles and it looks like a waxwork from Madame Tussauds, like a lot of faces in “The Longest Day” or “Patton”. The degrain/denoise filter was not optimised for movement and creates hazy/soft edges. In the jungle scenes where the camera pans are much slower, the filter works better and the edges are cleaner and sharper. So (from a distance) the picture offers even a sense of 3-dimensional depth. However, the picture looks a bit “digital” and/or artificial, with sharp edges and low detail inbetween these edges. This effects is not like those of “The Untouchables” or “The Italian Job” - the picture quality of those BDs was still somehow bearable. The picture is sometimes a bit too dark, sometimes the black levels are a bit weak and look greyish. For the so called “film grain haters” this new version may be a welcome improvement - however, this picture quality has nothing to do with a filmlike reproduction of the source material. Maybe Fox can persuade John McTiernan and Don McAlpine to supervise a new transfer (from the OCN) so Fox can sell a new “25th Anniversary Edition” in 2012."

But I was wrong about my assumption that is quite unlikely that this BD originates from a new HD master:

I received feedback from Fox Germany today that, believe it or not, a brand new HD master was used for this new BD.

They just should have left out that heavy DNR....

Thomas Konradt

hd-reporter.de

#19 of 78 OFFLINE   RobertR

RobertR

Lead Actor

• 9,533 posts

Posted June 11 2010 - 05:05 AM

This makes me glad I bought the original release.  No way am I interested in this DNR'd to death version.  It's simple:  A Blu ray should look like the film that's on it.  If the film is grainy, then the BD should look grainy.  If someone doesn't like the look of the film, why is he watching it?

#20 of 78 OFFLINE   dpippel

dpippel

Producer

• 3,293 posts

Posted June 11 2010 - 09:47 AM

Another DNR mess involving a classic film? Great! The people responsible should be sacked. And then the people responsible for sacking the people responsible should ALSO be sacked! I just watched "WaxSpartacus" on Blu-ray last night and wow, it is absolutely horrid. Now Predator has fallen, um, prey to whatever misguided decision-making process is being used by the powers-that-be. Hey Hollywood - ENOUGH ALREADY!!! This crap is really getting ridiculous!

Careful man, there's a beverage here!