HT91

• PipPip
  • 14 posts

Posted May 23 2010 - 11:06 PM

Hello everybody

I've been posting for quite a while to try to figure out the sound system

now comes the first part of the work, the room construction

given that I'm building a house right now, I have a choice in the room design

the height (8.5 feet =2.5 meters) and width (13 feet=4 meters) are fixed, all I can do is change the length right now.

I ran it through some calculators, and appearently the room should be either 11 feet in width (the 13 feet being the length), or 19 feet in length

so the calculators give me the choice between 8.5*13*11 or 8.5*13*19

sound isn't an issue, I have more than enough to fill the big room..what I'm wondering is would the smaller room cause reverbration problems??

and what do you think about the dimensions??

please answer me ASAP for the construction of the room's last wall starts tomorrow

thank you all

#2 of 12 drobbins

drobbins

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 1,870 posts

Posted May 23 2010 - 11:27 PM

If it was me, I would do the 19' with out a question. It gives room for 2 rows of seats or if just one row, it gives space for the surround speakers to blend together.

#3 of 12 HT91

HT91

• PipPip
  • 14 posts

Posted May 23 2010 - 11:28 PM

ok

and what do you think about the size ratio?

do you have other size ratios that might be better?

#4 of 12 drobbins

drobbins

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 1,870 posts

Posted May 24 2010 - 01:25 AM

There is a calculation that you can use for the room size to help the acoustics. Here is a thread with some links. http://www.hometheat...size-room-ratio

The other considerations is your screen size and you projector throw if you are using a projector.

#5 of 12 smithb

smithb

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 1,536 posts

Posted May 24 2010 - 04:34 AM

Personally, I think you are focusing too much on this one factor. Have you decided yet on screen size, speaker/sub placement, equipment placement, seating size and number, projector and throw distance, lighting, use of acoustic panels, and door placement?

Determining the room dimensions is part of the overall equation but I wouldn't overdue it's significance with regards to short cutting in other areas. A room 14' by 11' is pretty small. However, 13' by 19' would not necessarily by my first choice either depending on the other factor's. My room is actually 18' by 15' which is definitely against what calculator's would recommend but it fits my other needs considering the other factors, and the walls are all acoustically treated. I have no complaints.

#6 of 12 helenk579

helenk579

• Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted June 01 2010 - 04:30 PM

Originally Posted by drobbins 

There is a calculation that you can use for the room size to help the acoustics. Here is a thread with some links. http://www.hometheat...size-room-ratio

The other considerations is your screen size and you projector throw if you are using a projector.

Such a very amazing link!

#7 of 12 helenk579

helenk579

• Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted June 01 2010 - 04:31 PM

Originally Posted by HT91 

Hello everybody

I've been posting for quite a while to try to figure out the sound system

now comes the first part of the work, the room construction

given that I'm building a house right now, I have a choice in the room design

the height (8.5 feet =2.5 meters) and width (13 feet=4 meters) are fixed, all I can do is change the length right now.

I ran it through some calculators, and appearently the room should be either 11 feet in width (the 13 feet being the length), or 19 feet in length

so the calculators give me the choice between 8.5*13*11 or 8.5*13*19

sound isn't an issue, I have more than enough to fill the big room..what I'm wondering is would the smaller room cause reverbration problems??

and what do you think about the dimensions??

please answer me ASAP for the construction of the room's last wall starts tomorrow

thank you all

I also think so.

#8 of 12 TeddM

TeddM

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 38 posts

Posted June 16 2010 - 12:31 PM

I'd dump the calculator entirely and go for as long a space as you can get. Room calculators have limited usefulness in small rooms which tend to be boomy dues to their limited size.

Proper room  design starts with the seating and the placement of eyes and ears.  Then based on screen size, you try to keep the seating out of the peakers and valleys sonic-wise.

19' long is still fairly tight for two rows.as you want your last row of seating at least 2' off the back wall.

#9 of 12 TeddM

TeddM

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 38 posts

Posted June 16 2010 - 12:31 PM

I'd dump the calculator entirely and go for as long a space as you can get. Room calculators have limited usefulness in small rooms which tend to be boomy dues to their limited size.

Proper room  design starts with the seating and the placement of eyes and ears.  Then based on screen size, you try to keep the seating out of the peakers and valleys sonic-wise.

19' long is still fairly tight for two rows as you want your last row of seating at least 2' off the back wall.

#10 of 12 TeddM

TeddM

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 38 posts

Posted June 16 2010 - 12:32 PM

double post...

#11 of 12 Robert_J

Robert_J

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 8,015 posts
  • LocationMississippi

Posted June 16 2010 - 02:02 PM

Originally Posted by TeddM 

Boomy bass can be corrected with any number of available subwoofer EQs.

#12 of 12 Adam Gregorich

Adam Gregorich

Advanced Member

• 14,401 posts
  • LocationThe Other Washington

Posted June 16 2010 - 03:35 PM

The bigger the room the more flexibility you have for the 98 other theater related decisions you still have to make /img/vbsmilies/htf/smile.gif

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users