What's new

Room size URGENT...construction starts tomorrow (1 Viewer)

HT91

Auditioning
Real Name
Hisni
Hello everybody

I've been posting for quite a while to try to figure out the sound system

now comes the first part of the work, the room construction

given that I'm building a house right now, I have a choice in the room design

the height (8.5 feet =2.5 meters) and width (13 feet=4 meters) are fixed, all I can do is change the length right now.

I ran it through some calculators, and appearently the room should be either 11 feet in width (the 13 feet being the length), or 19 feet in length

so the calculators give me the choice between 8.5*13*11 or 8.5*13*19

sound isn't an issue, I have more than enough to fill the big room..what I'm wondering is would the smaller room cause reverbration problems??

and what do you think about the dimensions??

please answer me ASAP for the construction of the room's last wall starts tomorrow

thank you all

drobbins

Screenwriter
Real Name
Dave
If it was me, I would do the 19' with out a question. It gives room for 2 rows of seats or if just one row, it gives space for the surround speakers to blend together.

HT91

Auditioning
Real Name
Hisni
ok

and what do you think about the size ratio?

do you have other size ratios that might be better?

smithb

Screenwriter
Real Name
Brad Smith
Personally, I think you are focusing too much on this one factor. Have you decided yet on screen size, speaker/sub placement, equipment placement, seating size and number, projector and throw distance, lighting, use of acoustic panels, and door placement?

Determining the room dimensions is part of the overall equation but I wouldn't overdue it's significance with regards to short cutting in other areas. A room 14' by 11' is pretty small. However, 13' by 19' would not necessarily by my first choice either depending on the other factor's. My room is actually 18' by 15' which is definitely against what calculator's would recommend but it fits my other needs considering the other factors, and the walls are all acoustically treated. I have no complaints.

helenk579

Auditioning
Real Name
Helen K
Originally Posted by drobbins

The other considerations is your screen size and you projector throw if you are using a projector.

Such a very amazing link!

helenk579

Auditioning
Real Name
Helen K
Originally Posted by HT91

Hello everybody

I've been posting for quite a while to try to figure out the sound system

now comes the first part of the work, the room construction

given that I'm building a house right now, I have a choice in the room design

the height (8.5 feet =2.5 meters) and width (13 feet=4 meters) are fixed, all I can do is change the length right now.

I ran it through some calculators, and appearently the room should be either 11 feet in width (the 13 feet being the length), or 19 feet in length

so the calculators give me the choice between 8.5*13*11 or 8.5*13*19

sound isn't an issue, I have more than enough to fill the big room..what I'm wondering is would the smaller room cause reverbration problems??

and what do you think about the dimensions??

please answer me ASAP for the construction of the room's last wall starts tomorrow

thank you all

I also think so.

TeddM

Stunt Coordinator
I'd dump the calculator entirely and go for as long a space as you can get. Room calculators have limited usefulness in small rooms which tend to be boomy dues to their limited size.

Proper room design starts with the seating and the placement of eyes and ears. Then based on screen size, you try to keep the seating out of the peakers and valleys sonic-wise.

19' long is still fairly tight for two rows.as you want your last row of seating at least 2' off the back wall.

TeddM

Stunt Coordinator
I'd dump the calculator entirely and go for as long a space as you can get. Room calculators have limited usefulness in small rooms which tend to be boomy dues to their limited size.

Proper room design starts with the seating and the placement of eyes and ears. Then based on screen size, you try to keep the seating out of the peakers and valleys sonic-wise.

19' long is still fairly tight for two rows as you want your last row of seating at least 2' off the back wall.

Robert_J

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Originally Posted by TeddM

Boomy bass can be corrected with any number of available subwoofer EQs.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NHCondon
Recent bookmarks