What's new

DVD Review HTF DVD REVIEW: The Three Stooges Collection Volume Eight, 1955-1959 (1 Viewer)

Richard Gallagher

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rich Gallagher

The Three Stooges Collection Volume Eight: 1955-1959

Studio: Sony/Columbia
Years: 1955-1959
Rated: Not Rated
Program Length: 515 minutes
Aspect Ratio: 1.85:1 Anamorphic Widescreen
Languages: English Dolby Digital 2.0
Subtitles: None

The Program

When Sony announced in 2007 that the 190 short films which The Three Stooges made for Columbia Pictures would be released in chronological order, fans were enthusiastic but skeptical. The skepticism arose from concerns that the series would stall at some point, and that the shorts made after Curly Howard’s retirement might never see the light of day. Stooges aficionados were relieved when the shorts from the Shemp Howard era were released, but there were still concerns about Sony’s commitment to release the last eight Stooges shorts, also known as the Joe Besser period.

Well, Sony deserves a tip of the cap because we now have The Three Stooges Collection Volume Eight: 1955-1959, a three-disc collection which includes the last of the Shemp shorts and all sixteen of the Joe Besser shorts (thirty-two shorts in all). As with each of the previous seven volumes, the restored transfer are in excellent shape and probably look as good as they did in theaters more than fifty years ago. This is the line-up:

Fling in the Ring
Of Cash and Hash
Gypped in the Penthouse
Bedlam in Paradise
Stone Age Romeos
Wham! Bam! Slam!
Hot Ice
Blunder Boys

Husbands Beware
Creeps
Flagpole Jitters
For Crimin’ Out Loud
Rumpus in the Harem
Hot Stuff
Scheming Schemers
Commotion on the Ocean

Hoofs and Goofs
Muscle Up A Little Closer
A Merry Mix-Up
Space Ship Sappy
Guns A Poppin’
Horsing Around
Rusty Romeos
Outer Space Jitters

Quiz Whizz
Fifi Blows Her Top
Pies and Guys
Sweet and Hot
Flying Saucers Daily
Oil’s Well That Ends Well

Triple Crossed
Sappy Bull Fighters

Serious fans of the Stooges will see a lot of familiar story lines in this set. By the mid-fifties the market for theatrical shorts had virtually dried up, and in the end Columbia was the only studio producing them. The older Stooges shorts were not yet ubiquitous on television, so it made sense to recycle old scripts and even old footage. Nevertheless, most of the Joe Besser shorts were developed from original scripts. Shemp Howard died of a heart attack at the age of 60 in 1955. Reportedly, his brother Moe wanted to hire Joe DeRita (who bore a resemblance to Curly) to replace Shemp, but DeRita was under contract at the time. The part was then offered to Besser, a long-time vaudevillian who had played the role of “Stinky” in the Abbott & Costello television program.

HTF member Scott MacGillivray wrote an incisive essay about these shorts on Amazon’s site, and he kindly gave me permission to reprint his comments here:

This final volume of Stooge shorts is interesting on two levels. First, it represents the transition from the Shemp Howard years to the Joe Besser years, with many familiar plots and gags being lifted from older comedies. Some of these patchwork shorts are very clever: OF CASH AND HASH is a slick reworking of SHIVERING SHERLOCKS; CREEPS is probably better remembered than its inspiration THE GHOST TALKS. BLUNDER BOYS, an amusing parody of "Dragnet," is noteworthy for using entirely fresh material (even if the battlefield "exterior" looks like it cost five dollars to stage).

But this set is even more interesting to film buffs, as a living record of the end of an era, and as a fascinating exhibition of creative film editing. SCHEMING SCHEMERS deserves a special Oscar for the editing, with footage from three older comedies spliced into the new material. By the time Joe Besser joined the Stooges in 1956, two-reel short subjects were 99% extinct, and only Columbia and the Stooges were still making them. This actually had a liberating effect on the series. There is a new, free-wheeling, we-don't-care spirit about these last shorts that is missing from the half-hearted, script-bound remakes of the mid-fifties. The budgets are at a new low, but the Stooges are more relaxed and they improvise freely: Larry reciting Hamlet's soliloquy while chewing gum is a lunatic moment from FIFI BLOWS HER TOP; Joe scores in a shipping-room routine in MUSCLE UP A LITTLE CLOSER; Moe abandons his bossy role for dialect character comedy in SWEET AND HOT. There are many inside jokes for fans: OIL'S WELL THAT ENDS WELL slips in a reference to writer Felix Adler; SAPPY BULLFIGHTERS has a poster headlining one Julio Blanco -- namely, producer-director Jules White; and more than one short shamelessly plugs Columbia's feature films then playing in theaters! The writers experiment with new ideas (including references to science-fiction and rock-and-roll), familiar ideas (the usual slapstick with pies, shotguns, and other weapons), and even ancient ideas (SWEET AND HOT sets the Stooges' act all the way back to 1934's WOMAN HATERS, with the same screenwriter again casting the trio as three unrelated characters in a musical comedy). The final Stooge short filmed, FLYING SAUCER DAFFY, was actually recorded in stereo; Columbia does have a broadcast video master in stereo, and hopefully it will be included in this DVD set.

True, you will see plenty of old material repeated throughout this set, but there are also some new routines that you'll only see here. Fully half of the Joe Besser shorts were filmed from scratch, with new, original stories and no recycled scenes. You'll also recognize Columbia regulars Emil Sitka, Gene Roth, Philip Van Zandt, Benny Rubin, George J. Lewis, Harriette Tarler, and Joe Palma supporting the Stooges. If you've never bothered much with these later Stooge shorts, give them a try. These seasoned comedians still have plenty of gas in the tank.

FLYING SAUCER DAFFY was indeed the final Stooges short to be filmed, but it was not the last one to be released. That distinction goes to SAPPY BULL FIGHTERS, a remake of 1942’s WHAT’S THE MATADOR? Incidentally, the version of FLYING SAUCER DAFFY in this set is in mono, as are all the other shorts in the collection.

To my knowledge, none of the shorts which are included in Volume Eight have ever appeared on DVD before. One of them, RUMPUS IN THE HAREM, was included in the laserdisc box set The Three Stooges Comedy Collection. While it is true that the Stooges were well past their peak when these shorts were made, the films are both rare and essential for fans. Kudos to Sony for leaving Stooges fans with absolutely nothing to complain about.

The Video

The black and white transfers have been beautifully restored and for the most part look like new. As with the previous volumes in the series, there are occasional scenes where the image goes soft, but this appears to be softness which appeared in the original elements. Contrasts are excellent, film grain is intact, and the images are virtually free of damage. All of the shorts in this set are presented in anamorphic 1.85:1 widescreen. Original technical specifications for these shorts are difficult to find, but the Internet Movie Database says that some of them were originally shown at 1.37:1. I have been unable to confirm that, and in truth all of them look fine projected at 1.85:1.

The Audio

The mono soundtracks are of course limited, but they are in excellent shape. The dialogue is always intelligible and the sound is free of distortion. Viewers will note that the iconic Stooges theme music, “Three Blind Mice,” which plays over the opening credits, changed when Joe Besser joined the group. Trumpets were added, followed by Joe, Larry and Moe singing “Hello…Hello…Hello!”

The Supplements

There are no supplements on this DVD set.

The Packaging

The thirty-two shorts are spread over three discs. Each disc comes in its own slimcase, and the three slimcases come in a slipcase. A brief description of each short can be found on the back of each slimcase. The artwork on the covers of the slimcases is similar to the artwork on the slipcase, except that the slimcases have different thumbnail photographs.

The Final Analysis

It seems superfluous to say that The Three Stooges Collection Volume Eight: 1955-1959 is an essential buy for anyone who has been collecting the previous seven volumes. When I reviewed the first volume of this series in 2007, I tried to encourage HTF members to support it wholeheartedly. Mission accomplished – For Duty and Humanity!

Equipment used for this review:

Toshiba HD-XA-2 DVD player
Panasonic Viera TC-P46G15 Plasma display calibrated to THX specifications by Gregg Loewen
Yamaha HTR-5890 THX Surround Receiver
BIC Acoustech speakers
Interconnects: Monster Cable

Release Date: June 1, 2010

Steve...O

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve
Hi Rich,

Thanks for a very well written and informative review. I just picked up my copy today (thanks to certain warehouse club selling this for $16.99) and am looking forward to viewing over the next few weeks.

Also, thanks for the efforts you made in the past to convey the wishes of the membership for chronological releases back to Sony. This release concludes a truly remarkable series that Sony should be very proud of. After all the misguided efforts in prior years, they responded to consumer demand and went all out to ensure a quality (and definitive) presentation of these shorts.

Steve

Christian Preischl

Screenwriter
Real Name
Christian Preischl
Couldn't agree more. I never bought any of the early releases, but every single one of these collections was a day and date purchase for me.

Ockeghem

Ockeghem
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Scott D. Atwell
Richard,

Thank you for an excellent and informative review. I also liked this line of Scott MacGillivray's, which you included:

"But this set is even more interesting to film buffs, as a living record of the end of an era, and as a fascinating exhibition of creative film editing."

This is one of the primary reasons I purchase and collect films. As a fan of The Three Stooges for decades, it is particularly gratifying for me to read that The Three Stooges' shorts are thought of and given their due from these vantage points. I will be purchasing this collection very soon. :)

Richard Gallagher

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rich Gallagher
Originally Posted by Ockeghem

Richard,

Thank you for an excellent and informative review. I also liked this line of Scott MacGillivray's, which you included:

"But this set is even more interesting to film buffs, as a living record of the end of an era, and as a fascinating exhibition of creative film editing."

Yes, I thought that Scott nailed it. The editing of old and new footage truly is creative. You will also note that there are scenes with a Shemp stand-in, and of course you never see his face.

Traveling Matt

Supporting Actor
I too held out on Stooge DVDs until they were done right, which is of course this series. Very happy to see the boys get this kind of treatment to the end, which is no doubt the best treatment their historically-neglected work has ever received.

Now, if only WB would take a page and release the early Ted Healy Fox films with similar care and respect.

David Deeb

Screenwriter
Real Name
David
Excellent review Richard. Been looking forward to this set for a long time.

These are the "lost episodes" of the Stooges. And Scott's comments acknowledge there is plenty to enjoy in the final Shemp films and the Besser films.

Sony deserves a big thanks for such a fine series. Thanks for listening to us and for following through with the complete shorts restored on sale on DVD. The films are now preserved for generations to come.

Would we be so lucky to see a volume 9 with the Curly Joe features?

Ockeghem

Ockeghem
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Scott D. Atwell
"Would we be so lucky to see a volume 9 with the Curly Joe features?"

I'd pick this up in a heartbeat. :)

Joe Lugoff

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joe
The complete chronological Stooges was something I asked for for years, but never thought I'd see. Stooge fans everywhere are very grateful to Sony. After years of doing the Stooges "wrong," they turned 100% around and did it right.

But to prove that people are never happy, we now are pointing out that for the Columbia Stooges to be truly complete, there should be one more volume with the five Columbia features (or six, if you want to count "Stop! Look! and Laugh!").

David Deeb

Screenwriter
Real Name
David
Originally Posted by Joe Lugoff

But to prove that people are never happy, we now are pointing out that for the Columbia Stooges to be truly complete, there should be one more volume with the five Columbia features (or six, if you want to count "Stop! Look! and Laugh!").

Don't know if you are referring to me since I mentioned the features in this thread, but I'm not "pointing out" or complaining. And I'm very, very happy with Sony & this series. It certainly "completes" the Stooge short film collection.

The features would be a wonderful bonus, and we would certainly be "lucky" to get them. But please, no complaining from me.

Looking forward to watching my Volume 8 next week.

Joe Lugoff

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joe
I wasn't talking about anyone complaining. I was just joining the group that is saying they'd like one more volume, with the five (or six) feature-length movies.

rdf8585

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
rdf8585
Most Stooge fans won't be content until the Shemp, Besser, and DeRita Columbia solo efforts are out.

DeWilson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Denny
Originally Posted by rdf8585

Most Stooge fans won't be content until the Shemp, Besser, and DeRita Columbia solo efforts are out.

Why should these just sit in the valuts at Colpix when they can be enjoyed by fans?

That goes the same for the Charlie Chase, Hugh Herbert and Vera Vague shorts,too!

Dick

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rick
Thanks again, Sony. Time now for a complete set of the Stooges feature films, and a separate release of HAVE ROCKET WILL TRAVEL for those of us who have the others.

rdf8585

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
rdf8585
Chances are the solo shorts would sell well, so there really isn't any reason why they shouldn't be released. Sony stands to profit, as would the fans who have long clamored for them. Volume 8, which includes the oft-maligned Besser shorts and the Fake Shemp efforts, is at #42 right now on Amazon and is a top 5 pre-order at DVD Empire.

Joe Karlosi

Senior HTF Member
First, let me join in the praise for Sony in releasing all of these Three Stooges Shorts in chronological order. This is hands-down the BEST DVD project ever, in terms of quality, presentation, and the speed at which these films were released!

Second -- I would love to see a "set" consisting of the Features with Curly Joe DeRita. I already have all but two of the features on stand alone DVDs, but if the price was right and we could get all the movies in one attractive collection as a set, I'd double-dip for the ones I already have, no problem.

Ockeghem

Ockeghem
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Scott D. Atwell
Surprisingly, I could not find Volume Eight at either of the two Walmart stores in our area when I checked over the weekend. For me, this is the first time that I have not been able to obtain any of the volumes once they were released. I'm hoping that this is because they are selling really well. :)

David Deeb

Screenwriter
Real Name
David

Surprisingly, I could not find Volume Eight at either of the two Walmart stores in our area when I checked over the weekend. For me, this is the first time that I have not been able to obtain any of the volumes once they were released. I'm hoping that this is because they are selling really well. :)

Or could be that the Memorial Day holiday slowed down some deliveries & shelf stocking. I imagine they will arrive shortly.

TravisR

Senior HTF Member

It isn't released until today. People have found them already because many Costcos broke the street date and put it out last week.

Ockeghem

Ockeghem
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Scott D. Atwell
David, Travis,

Okay, thanks.

Originally Posted by TravisR

It isn't released until today. People have found them already because many Costcos broke the street date and put it out last week.

This makes sense. My error -- I thought volume eight had been widely-released late last week.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
thinksinc
Recent bookmarks