Jump to content



Sign up for a free account to remove the pop-up ads

Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

Anyone remember GRINDL (1963) with Imogene Coca?


This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
17 replies to this topic

#1 of 18 OFFLINE   Robert13

Robert13

    Second Unit



  • 488 posts
  • Join Date: Feb 21 2007

Posted May 20 2010 - 04:02 AM

I wonder if any studio would resurrect this show for a dvd release. I've read many favorable things online from people who fondly remember the show and how funny it was. Does anyone else have an interest in this series? Apparently, it is a ScreenGems property.



#2 of 18 Guest__*

Guest__*
  • Join Date: --

Posted May 20 2010 - 05:02 AM

I remember the show vaguely.  By vaguely, I mean that I remember Imogene Coca was in it, and that she was a domestic.



#3 of 18 OFFLINE   Robert13

Robert13

    Second Unit



  • 488 posts
  • Join Date: Feb 21 2007

Posted May 20 2010 - 07:14 AM

That's what I've been reading. Would love for Sony to start some sorta tv archive program like Warner Archive and release all of these shows that they own. It's a shame they own all of these rare shows and they aren't putting them to any use.



#4 of 18 OFFLINE   Matt Hough

Matt Hough

    Executive Producer



  • 11,595 posts
  • Join Date: Apr 24 2006
  • LocationCharlotte, NC

Posted May 20 2010 - 08:39 AM

Yes, though it does date me, I do remember both Grindl and It's About Time, Imogene Coca's two 1960s sitcoms, neither of which had long runs. I really liked Grindl, but then, I am a big fan of Imogene Coca, so of course I liked it, and would love to see the series again.



#5 of 18 OFFLINE   cajunhillbilly

cajunhillbilly

    Screenwriter



  • 1,765 posts
  • Join Date: Mar 24 2008

Posted May 21 2010 - 12:29 AM

I remember her in Its About Time.  Would love to see that on dvd.



#6 of 18 OFFLINE   Rob_Ray

Rob_Ray

    Screenwriter



  • 1,510 posts
  • Join Date: Apr 12 2004
  • Real Name:Rob Ray
  • LocationSouthern California

Posted May 21 2010 - 09:12 AM

I remember Grindl fairly well.  Of course, I was only seven, but I remember it being a good vehicle for Imogene Coca.  She had a wonderful foil in James Milhollin, the thin, Franklin Pangborn-type guy with the baggy eyelids who was all over TV back in the sixties in roles Pangborn would have played in the forties.  He was Reta Shaw's husband in "The Ghost and Mr. Chicken" and had my favorite line in that film.  Describing his wife's psychic sensations and "vibrations" he relates that after one ghostly apparition, she "came home and vibrated for a month!"


I'm sure Grindl was the typically early sixties TV silliness that aimed no higher than a seven-year-old's taste (for the My Mother the Car crowd) but I'd love to catch a glimpse of it again, and seeing as how the entire series would fit in one DVD boxset, I'd pick it up.  Imogene Coca's comedy could be inspired and too little of it survives.



#7 of 18 OFFLINE   Neil Brock

Neil Brock

    Screenwriter



  • 2,145 posts
  • Join Date: Apr 29 2009

Posted May 22 2010 - 08:58 AM

I have about a half dozen episodes of the show and I didn't watch it originally so I don't have any rose-colored memories of the show. Objectively speaking, it has to be one of the 5 worst shows of the decade. Painfully unfunny.



#8 of 18 OFFLINE   Professor Echo

Professor Echo

    Screenwriter



  • 1,575 posts
  • Join Date: Jul 28 2008
  • Real Name:Glen
  • LocationLos Angeles

Posted May 23 2010 - 09:01 AM



Originally Posted by Neil Brock 

I have about a half dozen episodes of the show and I didn't watch it originally so I don't have any rose-colored memories of the show. Objectively speaking, it has to be one of the 5 worst shows of the decade. Painfully unfunny.


/img/vbsmilies/htf/thumbsup.gif


I have about eight episodes and could barely make it through half of them. I had memories of liking the show, even though I was very very young when it aired, but revisiting it proved to be a disaster.  My gf walked out in the middle of the first episode, haha.  As bad as IT'S ABOUT TIME was, GRINDL makes it look like Masterpiece Theater.



#9 of 18 OFFLINE   Rob_Ray

Rob_Ray

    Screenwriter



  • 1,510 posts
  • Join Date: Apr 12 2004
  • Real Name:Rob Ray
  • LocationSouthern California

Posted May 24 2010 - 02:50 AM



Originally Posted by Point-Blank 




/img/vbsmilies/htf/thumbsup.gif


I have about eight episodes and could barely make it through half of them. I had memories of liking the show, even though I was very very young when it aired, but revisiting it proved to be a disaster.  My gf walked out in the middle of the first episode, haha.  As bad as IT'S ABOUT TIME was, GRINDL makes it look like Masterpiece Theater.


Okay, I haven't seen the show since it first aired and now you have me *really* curious.  Any show that makes IT'S ABOUT TIME look like MASTERPIECE THEATER has *got* to be seen!



#10 of 18 OFFLINE   Robert13

Robert13

    Second Unit



  • 488 posts
  • Join Date: Feb 21 2007

Posted May 24 2010 - 04:02 AM

I'd really like to see it too. I've been searching for episodes for a long time to no avail. Can anyone help out a fellow tv-addict? Pleeeeease. Even just the first 2 episodes would be great.



#11 of 18 OFFLINE   Robert13

Robert13

    Second Unit



  • 488 posts
  • Join Date: Feb 21 2007

Posted May 24 2010 - 06:42 AM




Originally Posted by Rob_Ray 

I remember Grindl fairly well.  Of course, I was only seven, but I remember it being a good vehicle for Imogene Coca.  She had a wonderful foil in James Milhollin, the thin, Franklin Pangborn-type guy with the baggy eyelids who was all over TV back in the sixties in roles Pangborn would have played in the forties.  He was Reta Shaw's husband in "The Ghost and Mr. Chicken" and had my favorite line in that film.  Describing his wife's psychic sensations and "vibrations" he relates that after one ghostly apparition, she "came home and vibrated for a month!"


One of my all-time favorite movies!!! My favorite is when she goes over to the iron gate of the mansion and shrieks "OH THE DIVINE EMANATION! HAIL COSMIC CHIEF!" LOL!!!




#12 of 18 OFFLINE   richbarrac

richbarrac

    Auditioning



  • 3 posts
  • Join Date: May 26 2010

Posted May 26 2010 - 03:09 AM

I loved GRINDL when I was seven years old too (as well as ITS ABOUT TIME and DOUBLE LIFE OF HENRY PHYFE come to think of it) but my only memory of the series is Grindl making a bet with Milhollin where they flipped a coin and rather landing on Heads or Tails it landed on its edge and I remember thinking that was the funniest thing I had ever seen!   While it wouldnt surprise me if it were one of the five worst shows of the decade, Id still like to see that again!



#13 of 18 OFFLINE   ajabrams

ajabrams

    Second Unit



  • 266 posts
  • Join Date: Mar 15 2009

Posted May 26 2010 - 06:26 PM

Wow - I loved Imogene Coca and that's why I loved GRINDL --I'd like to see it too!  Some others from that era that I'd love to watch again are THE HATHAWAYS (Peggy Cass and Jack Weston!!), GUESTWARD HO, BRINGING UP BUDDY, and HEY, JEANNIE! --Ahh, childhood memories....



#14 of 18 ONLINE   Joe Lugoff

Joe Lugoff

    Screenwriter



  • 2,029 posts
  • Join Date: Feb 04 2005
  • Real Name:Joe

Posted May 27 2010 - 04:23 AM

Same here ... and ANGEL and FAIR EXCHANGE.   I thought those were so good ... I'd love to know if I'd find them not so good today.



#15 of 18 OFFLINE   Robert13

Robert13

    Second Unit



  • 488 posts
  • Join Date: Feb 21 2007

Posted May 31 2010 - 04:39 PM

Well, thanks to a fellow poster, I was able to see some episodes of GRINDL and I must say it is definitely a hidden gem. Imogene Coca is wonderful in the series. The episodes were funny and original. It really was unlike any other series. She wasn't really a Hazel-like character, nor was she Lucy Ricardo. Imogene Coca truly made her original and gave the series its own style. I'm a bit surprised it didn't last longer. I think many classic tv fans of tv from that era would enjoy this show. It would be nice to see Sony or whoever currently owns it dig it up and put it out there for us fans. I have to say I am now a fan of this series. Great, harmless fun for the whole family.



#16 of 18 OFFLINE   Larry Geller

Larry Geller

    Supporting Actor



  • 562 posts
  • Join Date: Jan 10 2002

Posted June 01 2010 - 07:29 AM

I love Imogene & watched It's About Time regularly when it was on (I was 11), but Grindl was way beyond the pale, one of the worst shows in TV history, and I knew it THEN. Absolutely unwatchable on every level. Not even good as camp. Made My Mother The Car seem like Citizen Kane.


Mmmm, snout!-Homer Simpson

#17 of 18 OFFLINE   Robert13

Robert13

    Second Unit



  • 488 posts
  • Join Date: Feb 21 2007

Posted June 01 2010 - 08:17 AM



Originally Posted by Larry Geller 

I love Imogene & watched It's About Time regularly when it was on (I was 11), but Grindl was way beyond the pale, one of the worst shows in TV history, and I knew it THEN. Absolutely unwatchable on every level. Not even good as camp. Made My Mother The Car seem like Citizen Kane.


That's so funny how different perspectives can be from person to person. I thought the show was hilarious. Her character was so loveable.



#18 of 18 OFFLINE   Joe Lugoff

Joe Lugoff

    Screenwriter



  • 2,029 posts
  • Join Date: Feb 04 2005
  • Real Name:Joe

Posted June 01 2010 - 06:00 PM



Originally Posted by Robert13 

Well, thanks to a fellow poster, I was able to see some episodes of GRINDL ...


How?