Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

USHE Press Release: The Breakfast Club 25th Anniversary (Blu-ray)

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
12 replies to this topic

#1 of 13 OFFLINE   Ronald Epstein

Ronald Epstein

Studio Mogul

• 40,623 posts

Posted May 19 2010 - 12:24 AM

Posted Image

From Universal Studios Home Entertainment: CELEBRATE THE 25TH ANNIVERSARY OF AN ICONIC COMEDY THAT DEFINED A GENRE FOR THE FIRST TIME EVER ON BLU-RAY™ HI-DEF, THE BREAKFAST CLUB 25TH ANNIVERSARY EDITION

http://content.prnewswire.com/designimages/line-horz-01_PRN.gif); background-repeat: repeat-x; background-attachment: initial; -webkit-background-clip: initial; -webkit-background-origin: initial; background-color: initial; background-position: 0px 2px; ">  

FROM UNIVERSAL STUDIOS HOME ENTERTAINMENT

AUGUST 3, 2010

UNIVERSAL CITY, Calif.May 18 /PRNewswire/ --

OVERVIEW: Written and directed by John Hughes (Sixteen Candles, Ferris Bueller's Day Off), The Breakfast Club quickly became the definitive teen film of the 1980's and remains as moving and poignant today as it was 25 years ago. To commemorate the 25th anniversary of this landmark comedy, The Breakfast Club is now available for the first time on Blu-ray™ Hi-Def on August 3, 2010, from Universal Studios Home Entertainment.  Starring Emilio Estevez ("Two and a Half Men"), Molly Ringwald ("The Secret Life of the American Teenager"), Anthony Michael Hall ("The Dead Zone"), Judd Nelson (The Boondock Saints II) and Ally Sheedy ("Psych"), The Breakfast Club 25th Anniversary Edition is a hilarious coming-of-age story that set a precedent for generations to come!

Blu-ray™ Hi-Def BONUS FEATURES:  Unleash the power of your HDTV with perfect picture and purest digital sound.

• BD-LIVE™: Access the BD-Live™ Center through your Internet-connected player to get even more content, watch the latest trailers and more!
  • SINCERELY YOURS: A 12-part documentary with Judd NelsonAnthony Michael HallAlly Sheedy and other cast members as they reflect on the making of The Breakfast Club. Revisit these unforgettable characters and hear filmmakers such as Amy Heckerling (Clueless) and Diablo Cody (Juno) discuss the cultural resonance of the film.
  • THE MOST CONVENIENT DEFINITIONS – THE ORIGINS OF THE BRAT PACK:  Cast members, journalists and film historians discuss the "Brat Pack" label and its impact on pop culture and the group's careers.
  • FEATURE COMMENTARY:  With Judd Nelson and Anthony Michael Hall.
  • THEATRICAL TRAILER
  • MY SCENES: Bookmark your favorite scenes from the movie.

SYNOPSIS: From writer/director John Hughes (Sixteen CandlesWeird Science), The Breakfast Club is an iconic portrait of 1980s American high school life. When Saturday detention started, they were simply the Jock, the Princess, the Brain, the Criminal and the Basket Case, but by that afternoon they had become closer than any of them could have imagined. Featuring an all-star '80s cast including Emilio EstevezAnthony Michael HallJudd NelsonMolly Ringwald, and Ally Sheedy, this warm-hearted comedy helped define an entire generation.

BLU-RAY™ HI-DEF TECHNICAL INFORMATION:

Street Date: August 3, 2010

Copyright: 2010 Universal Studios Home Entertainment

Selection Number: 61112006

Running Time: 1 Hour 37 Minutes

Layers: BD-50

Picture Format: Widescreen

Aspect Ratio: 1.85:1

Rating: R

Languages/Subtitles: English SDH, Spanish and French European Subtitles

Sound:  English DTS-HD Master Audio 5.1, French DTS 2.0

CAST AND FILMMAKERS

Cast: Emilio Estevez, Judd Nelson, Ally Sheedy, Anthony Michael Hall, Molly Ringwald, Paul Gleason

Directed By:  John Hughes

Written By:  John Hughes

Executive Producers:  Gil Friesen and Andrew Meyer

Produced By:  John Hughes and Ned Tanen

Director of Photography:  Thomas Del Ruth

Production Designer:   John W. Corso

Editor:  Dede Allen

Costume Design By:  Marilyn Vance

Casting By:  Jackie Burch

Ronald J Epstein
Home Theater Forum co-owner

Click Here for the latest/hottest Blu-ray Preorders  Click Here for our complete Blu-ray review archive

Click Here for our complete 3D Blu-ray review archive Click Here for our complete DVD review archive

Click Here for Blu-Ray Preorder Release Schedule  Click Here for forum posting rules and regulations

#2 of 13 OFFLINE   Scott Merryfield

Scott Merryfield

Executive Producer

• 10,665 posts
  • LocationMichigan

Posted May 19 2010 - 01:36 AM

"Starring Emilio Estevez ("Two and a Half Men")"  /img/vbsmilies/htf/confused.gif

Maybe Universal used so much DNR on this release that they turned Estevez into Charlie Sheen. /img/vbsmilies/htf/laugh.gif

#3 of 13 OFFLINE   Jason Charlton

Jason Charlton

Screenwriter

• 2,985 posts
  • LocationBaltimore, MD

Posted May 19 2010 - 01:47 AM

Geez, what is it with these press releases lately... anyone looking for a job who can spell and knows how to do searches on IMDB.com should have NO problem getting work with these studios!  /img/vbsmilies/htf/smile.gif

Are you new to the Home Theater Forum? Stop by the New Member Introductions area and introduce yourself! See you there!

#4 of 13 OFFLINE   Powell&Pressburger

Powell&Pressburger

Screenwriter

• 1,322 posts
  • LocationMPLS, MN

Posted May 19 2010 - 02:58 AM

Kind of sick of re-issues of The Breakfast Club that still can't include the extended television sequences or any of the other deleted scenes.

I believe before Hughes passed away, it was noted that he owned the complete cut of the film per his contract. It would have been nice if Universal could work with the Hughes estate on including deleted scenes etc for a Blu release.

maybe in 4 or 5 more years perhaps.

Hopefully Universal doesn't ruin the image quality of the release.

Stop the Replacing of original Studio Opening / Closing logos! They are part of film history.

Marantz SR7007 MartinLogan: ESL, Grotto i, Motif, FX2, Motion 15
Oppo BDP-103 Region Free Pioneer LD CLD-D505
Panasonic 65" TC-P65ZT60

#5 of 13 OFFLINE   Joseph DeMartino

Joseph DeMartino

Lead Actor

• 8,303 posts
  • LocationFlorida

Posted May 19 2010 - 03:01 AM

Originally Posted by Scott Merryfield 

"Starring Emilio Estevez ("Two and a Half Men")"  /img/vbsmilies/htf/confused.gif

Maybe Universal used so much DNR on this release that they turned Estevez into Charlie Sheen. /img/vbsmilies/htf/laugh.gif

Maybe they wrote the release before Charlie Sheen signed his new contract for the show, and they just assumed Emilio would replace him next season.  /img/vbsmilies/htf/smiley_wink.gif

Regards,

Joe

#6 of 13 OFFLINE   John Stell

John Stell

Supporting Actor

• 862 posts
  • LocationColumbia, MD

Posted May 19 2010 - 06:46 AM

Actually, Emilio was in one episode of the series, back in 2008.  Ally Sheedy has been in only 2 episodes of Psych.  I guess this just a press agent's attempt to make all these '80s stars seem current.

"...you would not understand...You do not...have...daughters."

#7 of 13 OFFLINE   Jeff Robertson

Jeff Robertson

Second Unit

• 458 posts

Posted May 19 2010 - 08:10 AM

Blahahahah. Too funny. Thanks for that.

Originally Posted by Scott Merryfield 

#8 of 13 OFFLINE   David Deeb

David Deeb

Supporting Actor

• 847 posts

Posted May 19 2010 - 09:09 AM

Originally Posted by Powell&Pressburger 

Kind of sick of re-issues of The Breakfast Club that still can't include the extended television sequences or any of the other deleted scenes.

I believe before Hughes passed away, it was noted that he owned the complete cut of the film per his contract. It would have been nice if Universal could work with the Hughes estate on including deleted scenes etc for a Blu release.

Great news!  Happy to get this on BD, but very sad that we can't get these scenes.   Dying to see them.  A perfect opportunity for Universal to capture additional sales will be missed.

Instead the first bonus feature they promote is:  "BD-Live...to get even more content, watch the latest trailers and more!"  

Hey Universal - no one is screaming for more BD-Live.  Why not put the "more" on the actual 25th anniversary disc & make it be something about the actual film rather than going online to watch unrelated trailers?  

Do you really think this is a selling point?

#9 of 13 OFFLINE   Southpaw

Southpaw

Supporting Actor

• 881 posts

Posted May 19 2010 - 09:50 AM

Originally Posted by David Deeb 

Great news!  Happy to get this on BD, but very sad that we can't get these scenes.   Dying to see them.  A perfect opportunity for Universal to capture additional sales will be missed.

Instead the first bonus feature they promote is:  "BD-Live...to get even more content, watch the latest trailers and more!"  

Hey Universal - no one is screaming for more BD-Live.  Why not put the "more" on the actual 25th anniversary disc & make it be something about the actual film rather than going online to watch unrelated trailers?  

Do you really think this is a selling point?

For whatever reason, they do.

I have my BD player hooked up to my wireless network and have never attempted to do any BD-live stuff. I just don't think I'm missing out on much.

#10 of 13 OFFLINE   Aaron Silverman

Aaron Silverman

Lead Actor

• 9,575 posts
  • LocationFlorida

Posted May 20 2010 - 06:23 AM

Are those docs and the commentary new material?  I don't recall them being on the DVD editions.

"How wonderful it will be to have a leader unburdened by the twin horrors of knowledge and experience." -- Mr. Wick

#11 of 13 OFFLINE   Doug Otte

Doug Otte

Supporting Actor

• 702 posts

Posted May 20 2010 - 08:11 AM

Originally Posted by Aaron Silverman 

Are those docs and the commentary new material?  I don't recall them being on the DVD editions.

They weren't on the HD-DVD, but I don't know if they were on the DVD.  I assume they're new.

Doug

#12 of 13 OFFLINE   WillG

WillG

Producer

• 5,232 posts

Posted May 20 2010 - 08:49 AM

They weren't on the HD-DVD, but I don't know if they were on the DVD.  I assume they're new

The most recent DVD release of TBC had those extras. Editions of Weird Science and Sixteen Candles were released at the same time, also with extras.

STOP HIM! He's supposed to die!

#13 of 13 OFFLINE   oscar_merkx

oscar_merkx

Lead Actor

• 7,632 posts

Posted May 20 2010 - 10:02 PM

This is so mine.

What about Weird Science ?

Toastmasters International

Communication is Everything

Forum Nav Content I Follow