Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

Singin' in the Rain

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
79 replies to this topic

#1 of 80 OFFLINE   graham8z

graham8z

Extra

• 17 posts

Posted March 28 2012 - 07:23 PM

Up for pre-order on Amazon UK £11.99 16th July 2012 buy date.

#2 of 80 OFFLINE   Robin9

Robin9

Screenwriter

• 1,916 posts

Posted March 30 2012 - 06:51 AM

Many thanks. I have placed my order. (For those interested, this BRD is zone free)

#3 of 80 OFFLINE   Ethan Riley

Ethan Riley

Producer

• 3,394 posts

Posted March 30 2012 - 03:19 PM

I'd love to have The Band Wagon on Blu.  All the time and effort that went in re: the restoration for SD DVD should now go towards the Blu version.  

Yeah that one still looks good. I wish for that one and Silk Stockings; maybe if they ever do two-packs of the musicals? I think those two films would go well together. Seems like we're now getting one MGM musical every six months--whereas before we got one every two years!

#4 of 80 Guest__*

Guest__*

Posted March 30 2012 - 04:45 PM

Can't wait for Singin' in the Rain...not a big fan of The Band Wagon.

#5 of 80 OFFLINE   haineshisway

haineshisway

Screenwriter

• 2,372 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles

Posted March 30 2012 - 06:27 PM

One can only hope that the too brown color of the Singin DVD has been fixed - it was nothing like the IB prints I've owned over the years.

#6 of 80 OFFLINE   Richard M S

Richard M S

Supporting Actor

• 633 posts

Posted March 31 2012 - 12:48 AM

Gene Kelly's 100th birthday is in August of this year, so hopefully more of his films will be released on blu-ray.

#7 of 80 OFFLINE   Edward Weinman

Edward Weinman

Stunt Coordinator

• 168 posts

Posted April 05 2012 - 02:32 PM

If WB can purchase the rights to the Samual Goldwyn library for release on disc, why can't they take time to release the treasures that they already control...meaning the MGM musical library. The years go by and...

#8 of 80 OFFLINE   NY2LA

NY2LA

Screenwriter

• 1,352 posts

Posted April 05 2012 - 04:19 PM

Seeing the foreign release in the old' blu cheapcase lessens my hope that we'd get at least a proper digibook. How did the Blu of MMISL compare to the 2 disc SE DVD? I suppose we can hope for at least whatever that got. I saw the premiere of the Ultra-Res digi-restoration (RAH, does that qualify for it word?) let's say remastering - at the AMPAS Goldwyn Theatre a few years back. Every surviving participant who could be there was there. Looked so good you could see details like Kelly's scar and other things we weren't expected to notice. Wonderful evening. Panel afterward. Someone should've taped it. Not sure how they'll better that unless they went back to the seps and did the ultra-res again in 6k or higher.

#9 of 80 OFFLINE   darkrock17

darkrock17

Supporting Actor

• 824 posts
  • LocationAlexandria, VA

Posted April 05 2012 - 04:21 PM

If WB can purchase the rights to the Samual Goldwyn library for release on disc, why can't they take time to release the treasures that they already control...meaning the MGM musical library. The years go by and...

I think it's time for WB to lose some it's distribution rights, mostly the MGM libary from the Golden Age of Hollywood. Shout Factory or Fox could do a better job then what WB been doing. Warner Archives MOD was good in the begining, but now it's become the norm and shows there too lazy to put any effort into the releases.

#10 of 80 OFFLINE   Edward Weinman

Edward Weinman

Stunt Coordinator

• 168 posts

Posted April 05 2012 - 04:43 PM

[ I saw the premiere of the Ultra-Res digi-restoration (RAH, does that qualify for it word?) let's say remastering - at the AMPAS Goldwyn Theatre a few years back. Every surviving participant who could be there was there. Looked so good you could see details like Kelly's scar and other things we weren't expected to notice. Wonderful evening. Panel afterward. Someone should've taped it. Not sure how they'll better that unless they went back to the seps and did the ultra-res again in 6k or higher. [/quote] ...you know...I believe I was also at that AMPAS Goldwyn Theatre showing and, for some reason, the digital "Singin' In The Rain" showing did not look like Technicolor...it did not look like film to me...but, yes, it was a wonderful evening...the panel consisting of Debbie Reynolds, Donald O'Connor, Cyd Charisse, Camden and Greene, Rita Moreno...(parden spelling errors)...sitting two rows in front of me was Ann Miller...(I believe we are speaking of the same evening)...

#11 of 80 OFFLINE   NY2LA

NY2LA

Screenwriter

• 1,352 posts

Posted April 05 2012 - 05:07 PM

...you know...I believe I was also at that AMPAS Goldwyn Theatre showing and, for some reason, the digital "Singin' In The Rain" showing did not look like Technicolor...it did not look like film to me...but, yes, it was a wonderful evening...the panel consisting of Debbie Reynolds, Donald O'Connor, Cyd Charisse, Camden and Greene, Rita Moreno...(parden spelling errors)...sitting two rows in front of me was Ann Miller...(I believe we are speaking of the same evening)...

Yes they ranged from ambulatory to ambulance story... I recall O'Connor got a hand for making it up onto the stage unattended, Comden and Greene were in matching wheelchairs. I heard Ann Miller fell down and broke her hair. (rimshot!) Bless 'em all... great to have them there, you got the feeling this wasn't gonna happen again. On the way home we passed "Sunset and Camden-nn."

#12 of 80 OFFLINE   haineshisway

haineshisway

Screenwriter

• 2,372 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles

Posted April 05 2012 - 06:59 PM

[quote name="Edward Weinman" url="/t/300658/singin-in-the-rain#post_3913869"][ I saw the premiere of the Ultra-Res digi-restoration (RAH, does that qualify for it word?) let's say remastering - at the AMPAS Goldwyn Theatre a few years back. Every surviving participant who could be there was there. Looked so good you could see details like Kelly's scar and other things we weren't expected to notice. Wonderful evening. Panel afterward. Someone should've taped it. Not sure how they'll better that unless they went back to the seps and did the ultra-res again in 6k or higher. [/quote] ...you know...I believe I was also at that AMPAS Goldwyn Theatre showing and, for some reason, the digital "Singin' In The Rain" showing did not look like Technicolor...it did not look like film to me...but, yes, it was a wonderful evening...the panel consisting of Debbie Reynolds, Donald O'Connor, Cyd Charisse, Camden and Greene, Rita Moreno...(parden spelling errors)...sitting two rows in front of me was Ann Miller...(I believe we are speaking of the same evening)...[/quote] The last DVD, sharp as it may have been, looked nothing like the dye transfer prints I've owned - brown is not what Singin' in the Rain is about.

#13 of 80 OFFLINE   Garysb

Garysb

Screenwriter

• 1,446 posts

Posted April 06 2012 - 08:33 AM

Its £10.99 at Amazon UK now. About £ 12.24 shipped to the US after removing the VAT and adding shipping. :D Amazon.co.uk guarantees pre orders so anyone who ordered at a higher price will get it at the lowest price Amazon sells it for between the time you order it and release day.

#14 of 80 OFFLINE   NY2LA

NY2LA

Screenwriter

• 1,352 posts

Posted April 16 2012 - 05:05 PM

Amazon is taking orders for the US release, and from the images it's clear that Warners era of using original key art is over. Now they're trying to make the old titles look new - like books rather than movies. Singin' In The Rain: 60th Anniversary Collector's Edition (Blu-ray/DVD Combo) $59.49 http://static.hometh...um.com/imgrepo/http://static.hometh...um.com/imgrepo/ America’s beloved musical gem, starring Debbie Reynolds, Gene Kelly and Donald O’Connor, celebrates its 60th Anniversary on Blu-ray for the very first time with an all new 3-Disc Blu-ray & DVD Ultimate Collector’s Edition. The sensational limited and numbered 3-Disc Ultimate Collector’s Edition will feature the film both on Blu-ray and DVD, and includes an all new hi-definition documentary, and special collectible memorabilia.

#15 of 80 OFFLINE   Andrew Budgell

Andrew Budgell

Screenwriter

• 1,223 posts

Posted April 16 2012 - 05:14 PM

These Warner Bros box sets are getting a bit ridiculous.

#16 of 80 OFFLINE   Mark-P

Mark-P

Screenwriter

• 2,370 posts
  • LocationCamas, WA

Posted April 16 2012 - 05:31 PM

I hope the wait for the cheaper single-disc isn't too long because I'm dying for Singin' in the Rain on Blu-ray, but there's no way I'm springing for the box set at that price.

#17 of 80 OFFLINE   dana martin

dana martin

Screenwriter

• 1,962 posts
  • LocationNorfolk, VA

Posted April 17 2012 - 12:10 AM

hopefully one of the vendors (Target/BB) will get an exclusive 3 disc digibook and eliminate  the extra stuff, sort of like the Citizen Kane from BB, would be all over it in a sec.

Playing at the Drive In

Quote:Welles, Kubrick, Hitchcock, Spielberg, Jackson, Wood ?? a true Auteur should be one who follows his artistic vision

#18 of 80 OFFLINE   Matt Hough

Matt Hough

Executive Producer

• 11,626 posts
  • LocationCharlotte, NC

Posted April 17 2012 - 12:20 AM

I love the movie, but I don't find that big box the least bit appealing, and an umbrella? Really?

#19 of 80 OFFLINE   Jacksmyname

Jacksmyname

Second Unit

• 302 posts

Posted April 17 2012 - 12:59 AM

I love the movie, but I don't find that big box the least bit appealing, and an umbrella? Really?

I'm a big fan of the big box sets, and I have them all. I really enjoy the printed materials included with them. The box sized hard cover books are always nice. But I have to agree with you on this one. I'll probably wait and see if a digi book becomes available.

#20 of 80 Guest__*

Guest__*

Posted April 17 2012 - 12:59 AM

Why do they use the most simple font out of all the cool fonts they could use? Do they think that the customer can't read anything more fancy?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users