What's new

*** Official ROBIN HOOD Discussion Thread (1 Viewer)

RobertR

Senior HTF Member
Your review is pretty much in agreement with another one I read, Patrick. The other reviewer nodded off a couple of times. It sounds like it actually avoids the legendary aspects of the story, going for a drab, dreary "historical" look. I'd rather have the stuff of legend.

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
It's my understanding that this is meant to be a "prequel" to the usual Robin Hood story of legend. That's why it misses all of the familiar trappings of the Robin Hood story. The story here is supposed to be the events that led to him later becoming "Robin of the Hood."

Steve Christou

Long Member
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve Christou
“I really don’t mean any disrespect to the makers of the film or to Kevin,” Crowe says, “but you look back at Robin Hood: Prince of Thieves and it’s like watching an extended Jon Bon Jovi video. “Those hairdos, and those costumes,” he adds obviously thinking of Costner’s luscious locks as he walked through sun-dappled Sherwood Forest to Bryan Adams’ song Everything I Do. “My favourite Robin Hood? The Disney fox. He could actually act. As for whether I’ve got it right, you can’t say because it’s all made up in the first place”, he says bluntly.
Sienna Miller was lined up to play Maid Marion but was replaced at the last minute by Cate Blanchett. “Look, Sienna would have been great,” he says. “Every actor brings their own stuff. But I think Sienna is too young. Not that it was my fault. It wasn’t my call. It’s more that I’m too old and fat. But Cate brings something else. “The way we have changed the character, we really needed somebody who was going to be resilient in the face of all these things that are going on. And Cate is superb in this film. She was excellent to work with and a great partner in crime.”
He says he would only move to Los Angeles “if Australia and New Zealand were swallowed by a huge tidal wave, if there was a bubonic plague in Europe and if the continent of Africa disappeared from some Martian attack”. He’s not one to mince his words is Russell, but he has mellowed in the five years since he was arrested then conditionally released for beating up a New York hotel employee... with a telephone. “It was a dumb response,” he says. “I can beat myself up about it and I can be regretful, which I am. But all you can do is shrug your shoulders.”
http://www.mirror.co.uk/celebs/news/2010/05/16/russell-crowe-kevin-costner-s-prince-of-thieves-was-like-a-long-bon-jovi-video-115875-22260984/

Steve Christou

Long Member
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve Christou
Yep he's mellowed alright - [/url]

Cursing Crowe, 46, flipped when interviewer MARK LAWSON suggested "hints" of Irish in his portrayal of the Nottingham legend - and asked the Hollywood hellraiser why.

The Gladiator star raged: "You've got dead ears mate - seriously dead ears if you think that's an Irish accent."

Lawson - in an interview for Front Row recorded at London's Dorchester Hotel - asked him if the accent was meant to be northern.

The actor snarled before flouncing off: "No I was going for an Italian... missed it? F*** me."

http://www.thesun.co.uk/sol/homepage/showbiz/bizarre/2972245/Russell-Crowe-swears-on-BBC-over-Robin-Hood-accent-jibe.html

[/quote]

RobertR

Senior HTF Member
Originally Posted by Malcolm R

It's my understanding that this is meant to be a "prequel" to the usual Robin Hood story of legend. That's why it misses all of the familiar trappings of the Robin Hood story. The story here is supposed to be the events that led to him later becoming "Robin of the Hood."

In my view, if you're going to call a movie "Robin Hood", then you'd damn well better give movie goers exactly that--Robin Hood, instead of some revisionist take.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
This thread is now designated the Official Discussion Thread for "Robin Hood". Please, post all comments, links to outside reviews, film and box office discussion items to this thread.

All HTF member film reviews of "Robin Hood" should be posted to the
[COLOR= #44708c]Official Review Thread[/COLOR].

Thank you for your consideration in this matter.

Crawdaddy

Pete-D

Screenwriter
Y'know the Costner version always gets dumped on, but it was far more entertaining (not only Rickman but Morgan Freeman was solid) and far more "Robin Hood-ey" than this version. The score was also very good for the Costner film (this one wasn't bad, but not really memorable).

I think they basically ended up making a watered-down, duller version of Gladiator with Russell Crowe playing basically the exact same character (Maximus, not Robin Hood).

They did add some new twists to the story sure ... but it just seemed like they borrowed most of those new elements from movies like Gladiator, Troy, and Braveheart and purposely stayed away from more familiar aspects of the Robin Hood legend.

Edwin-S

Premium
Senior HTF Member
I listened to the radio clip. If that is what the British call a "flip out" then all I can do is laugh. He hardly so much as raised his voice when he said "bollocks" and the "I was going for Italian" line was hardly snarled out. Actually, I thought the reviewer was just being a moron when he brought up the unrelated subject of "Gladiator". You could gather that he was just trying to bait Crowe. Crowe left because there was no longer any point in talking to the idiot.

I got a laugh when Crowe said his favourite Robin Hood was the Disney fox. It was even funnier when he said at least he could act, especially when a person looks at it in comparison to Kevin Costner. Crowe hit that one right on the head.

I'll probably just wait until this one hits Blu-ray, since it doesn't seem to be much of a Robin Hood movie.

Greg.K

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Greg K.
It's not like the "how did he become Robin Hood" story really needed to be told - that was covered in Prince of Thieves, and more satisfactorily.

BTW, those French landing craft were something else. Like a medieval D-Day. I half expected Tom Hanks to jump out & start lobbing grenades at the emplaced archers.

Steve Christou

Long Member
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve Christou
Hoho that BBC interviewer should have asked Crowe about the WWII landing craft before he left! Hmmm do interviewers really have fun with Crowe and hope he loses it? Maybe.

So this film should have been called "Robin Longstride"? But would audiences queue up to see a film called Robin Longstride?

Yeah I think I'll wait for the DVD, sorry, Blu-ray.

RobertR

Senior HTF Member
Originally Posted by Patrick Sun

OMG I had an idea it was pretty bad, but I had no idea it was THAT dumb and devoid of any real connection to Robin Hood.

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
So where's Ron-P's review? He was the biggest cheerleader for this film based on the trailers.

Ron-P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ron
You might have to wait for it to be out on Blu. From a trailer stand point it looked fantastic but I have yet to read a positive review of the film so I highly doubt I'll dump $10 to see this.I never see films within their first opening week, I wait for the crowds to die first which also allows me time to read up on a film.

Usually with films like this I put aside bad reviews and go but this is just getting so dumped on I'll wait.

Pete-D

Screenwriter
Think of it sorta of as like Gladiator 2 ... only if Maximus was reincarnated into 13th century England with a duller/less interesting plot and a less villianous adversary. And a lesser score. And a more pedestrian romance. And not as many cool action scenes. And not as many memorable characters. And a female lead (Cate Blanchett is can't miss) who is woefully miscast. And ... well you get the point.

And yes, Crowe is a better actor than Costner (though for a guy who did Field of Dreams, Bull Durham, Dances With Wolves, etc. etc. he sure seems to get no respect, lol) .... but honestly I'll take Costner in his interpretation over what Crowe and Ridley came up with any day of the week.

Costner may have completely missed the boat with the terrible accent, but he got most everything else right. Crowe misses the mark on everything including the "Irish" accent (lol). Though you can't really fault him with the script I guess.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks