Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

*** Official ROBIN HOOD Discussion Thread

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
29 replies to this topic

#1 of 30 OFFLINE   RobertR

RobertR

Lead Actor

• 9,635 posts

Posted May 15 2010 - 04:38 AM

Your review is pretty much in agreement with another one I read, Patrick.  The other reviewer nodded off a couple of times.  It sounds like it actually avoids the legendary aspects of the story, going for a drab, dreary "historical" look.  I'd rather have the stuff of legend.

#2 of 30 OFFLINE   Malcolm R

Malcolm R

Executive Producer

• 11,995 posts
  • LocationVermont

Posted May 15 2010 - 08:33 AM

It's my understanding that this is meant to be a "prequel" to the usual Robin Hood story of legend. That's why it misses all of the familiar trappings of the Robin Hood story. The story here is supposed to be the events that led to him later becoming "Robin of the Hood."
The purpose of an education is to replace an empty mind with an open mind.

#3 of 30 OFFLINE   Steve Christou

Steve Christou

Long Member

• 14,810 posts
  • LocationLondon, England

Posted May 15 2010 - 09:41 AM

“I really don’t mean any disrespect to the makers of the film or to Kevin,” Crowe says, “but you look back at Robin Hood: Prince of Thieves and it’s like watching an extended Jon Bon Jovi video.

“Those hairdos, and those costumes,” he adds obviously thinking of Costner’s ­luscious locks as he walked through sun-dappled Sherwood Forest to Bryan Adams’ song Everything I Do.   “My favourite Robin Hood? The Disney fox. He could actually act. As for whether I’ve got it right, you can’t say because it’s all made up in the first place”, he says bluntly.

Sienna Miller was lined up to play Maid Marion but was replaced at the last minute by Cate Blanchett.

“Look, Sienna would have been great,” he says. “Every actor brings their own stuff. But I think Sienna is too young. Not that it was my fault. It wasn’t my call. It’s more that I’m too old and fat. But Cate brings something else.

“The way we have changed the ­character, we really needed somebody who was going to be resilient in the face of all these things that are going on. And Cate is superb in this film. She was ­excellent to work with and a great ­partner in crime.”

He says he would only move to Los Angeles “if Australia and New Zealand were swallowed by a huge tidal wave, if there was a bubonic plague in Europe and if the continent of Africa disappeared from some Martian attack”.

He’s not one to mince his words is Russell, but he has mellowed in the five years since he was arrested then ­conditionally released for beating up a New York hotel employee... with a ­telephone.

“It was a dumb response,” he says. “I can beat myself up about it and I can be regretful, which I am. But all you can do is shrug your shoulders.”

http://www.mirror.co...15875-22260984/

Dave hören... auf, wille stoppen sie Dave... stoppen sie Dave... Mein gehirn geht... Ich bin gefühl es... Ich bin gefühl es... Ich bin ängstlich Dave... Guter Nachmittag. Ich bin ein HAL 9000 computer. Ich wurde funktionsfähig am HAL-Betrieb in Urbana, Illinois auf January 12 1992.

My DVD and Blu-ray Blog

#4 of 30 OFFLINE   Steve Christou

Steve Christou

Long Member

• 14,810 posts

Posted May 15 2010 - 09:44 AM

Yep he's mellowed alright - [/url] Cursing Crowe, 46, flipped when interviewer MARK LAWSON suggested "hints" of Irish in his portrayal of the Nottingham legend - and asked the Hollywood hellraiser why. The Gladiator star raged: "You've got dead ears mate - seriously dead ears if you think that's an Irish accent." Lawson - in an interview for Front Row recorded at London's Dorchester Hotel - asked him if the accent was meant to be northern. The actor snarled before flouncing off: "No I was going for an Italian... missed it? F*** me."     http://www.thesun.co...ccent-jibe.html [/quote]

Dave hören... auf, wille stoppen sie Dave... stoppen sie Dave... Mein gehirn geht... Ich bin gefühl es... Ich bin gefühl es... Ich bin ängstlich Dave... Guter Nachmittag. Ich bin ein HAL 9000 computer. Ich wurde funktionsfähig am HAL-Betrieb in Urbana, Illinois auf January 12 1992.

My DVD and Blu-ray Blog

#5 of 30 OFFLINE   RobertR

RobertR

Lead Actor

• 9,635 posts

Posted May 15 2010 - 10:38 AM

Originally Posted by Malcolm R 

It's my understanding that this is meant to be a "prequel" to the usual Robin Hood story of legend. That's why it misses all of the familiar trappings of the Robin Hood story. The story here is supposed to be the events that led to him later becoming "Robin of the Hood."

In my view, if you're going to call a movie "Robin Hood", then you'd damn well better give movie goers exactly that--Robin Hood, instead of some revisionist take.

#6 of 30 OFFLINE   Robert Crawford

Robert Crawford

• 26,167 posts
  • LocationMichigan

Posted May 15 2010 - 11:43 PM

This thread is now designated the Official Discussion Thread for "Robin Hood". Please, post all comments, links to outside reviews, film and box office discussion items to this thread.

All HTF member film reviews of "Robin Hood" should be posted to the
Official Review Thread.

Thank you for your consideration in this matter.

Crawdaddy

Crawdaddy

Blu-ray Preorder Listing

#7 of 30 OFFLINE   Pete-D

Pete-D

Screenwriter

• 1,746 posts

Posted May 16 2010 - 01:05 PM

Y'know the Costner version always gets dumped on, but it was far more entertaining (not only Rickman but Morgan Freeman was solid) and far more "Robin Hood-ey" than this version. The score was also very good for the Costner film (this one wasn't bad, but not really memorable). I think they basically ended up making a watered-down, duller version of Gladiator with Russell Crowe playing basically the exact same character (Maximus, not Robin Hood). They did add some new twists to the story sure ... but it just seemed like they borrowed most of those new elements from movies like Gladiator, Troy, and Braveheart and purposely stayed away from more familiar aspects of the Robin Hood legend.

#8 of 30 OFFLINE   Edwin-S

Edwin-S

Producer

• 5,853 posts

Posted May 16 2010 - 07:16 PM

I listened to the radio clip. If that is what the British call a "flip out" then all I can do is laugh. He hardly so much as raised his voice when he said "bollocks" and the "I was going for Italian" line was hardly snarled out. Actually, I thought the reviewer was just being a moron when he brought up the unrelated subject of "Gladiator". You could gather that he was just trying to bait Crowe. Crowe left because there was no longer any point in talking to the idiot. I got a laugh when Crowe said his favourite Robin Hood was the Disney fox. It was even funnier when he said at least he could act, especially when a person looks at it in comparison to Kevin Costner. Crowe hit that one right on the head. I'll probably just wait until this one hits Blu-ray, since it doesn't seem to be much of a Robin Hood movie.
"You bring a horse for me?" "Looks like......looks like we're shy of one horse." "No.......You brought two too many."

#9 of 30 OFFLINE   Greg Kettell

Greg Kettell

Screenwriter

• 1,243 posts
  • LocationNY Capital Region

Posted May 17 2010 - 05:43 AM

It's not like the "how did he become Robin Hood" story really needed to be told - that was covered in Prince of Thieves, and more satisfactorily. BTW, those French landing craft were something else. Like a medieval D-Day. I half expected Tom Hanks to jump out & start lobbing grenades at the emplaced archers.

#10 of 30 OFFLINE   Patrick Sun

Patrick Sun

Studio Mogul

• 38,172 posts

Posted May 17 2010 - 09:12 AM

This is a hilarious recap of the film:

http://meaninglessco...7-ROBINHOOD.jpg

"Jee-sus, it's like Iwo Jima out there" - Roger Sterling on "Mad Men"
Patcave | 2006 Films | 2007 Films | Flickr | Comic-Con 2012 | Dragon*Con 2012

#11 of 30 OFFLINE   Steve Christou

Steve Christou

Long Member

• 14,810 posts

Posted May 17 2010 - 09:40 AM

Hoho that BBC interviewer should have asked Crowe about the WWII landing craft before he left! Hmmm do interviewers really have fun with Crowe and hope he loses it? Maybe. So this film should have been called "Robin Longstride"? But would audiences queue up to see a film called Robin Longstride? Yeah I think I'll wait for the DVD, sorry, Blu-ray.

My DVD and Blu-ray Blog

#12 of 30 OFFLINE   Andrew Pierce

Andrew Pierce

Stunt Coordinator

• 189 posts
  • LocationMinneapolis

Posted May 18 2010 - 07:44 AM

I don't know about Robin Hood, but the best Friar Tuck by a landslide was Porky Pig.

#13 of 30 OFFLINE   Scott McGillivray

Scott McGillivray

Supporting Actor

• 852 posts

Posted May 18 2010 - 09:58 AM

Originally Posted by Patrick Sun 

THAT is hilarious!  So accurate.  Sad that the comic strip was more entertaining than the whole film!

Scott A. McGillivray
Vancouver, B.C.

Struggling Actor and Movie Nut!
(Check out my profile on IMDB!)http://www.imdb.com/name/nm1425496/

#14 of 30 OFFLINE   RobertR

RobertR

Lead Actor

• 9,635 posts

Posted May 18 2010 - 02:10 PM

Originally Posted by Patrick Sun 

OMG I had an idea it was pretty bad, but I had no idea it was THAT dumb and devoid of any real connection to Robin Hood.

#15 of 30 OFFLINE   Malcolm R

Malcolm R

Executive Producer

• 11,995 posts
  • LocationVermont

Posted May 19 2010 - 09:38 AM

So where's Ron-P's review? He was the biggest cheerleader for this film based on the trailers.
The purpose of an education is to replace an empty mind with an open mind.

#16 of 30 OFFLINE   Ron-P

Ron-P

Producer

• 6,285 posts

Posted May 19 2010 - 10:52 AM

You might have to wait for it to be out on Blu. From a trailer stand point it looked fantastic but I have yet to read a positive review of the film so I highly doubt I'll dump $10 to see this.I never see films within their first opening week, I wait for the crowds to die first which also allows me time to read up on a film. Usually with films like this I put aside bad reviews and go but this is just getting so dumped on I'll wait.
You have all the weapons you need...Now fight!

#17 of 30 OFFLINE   Pete-D

Pete-D

Screenwriter

• 1,746 posts

Posted May 19 2010 - 12:06 PM

It's really not a terrible movie ... it's just not a very good Robin Hood movie.

#18 of 30 OFFLINE   RobertR

RobertR

Lead Actor

• 9,635 posts

Posted May 19 2010 - 02:05 PM

Seems like something akin to false advertising.

#19 of 30 OFFLINE   Pete-D

Pete-D

Screenwriter

• 1,746 posts

Posted May 19 2010 - 09:57 PM

Think of it sorta of as like Gladiator 2 ... only if Maximus was reincarnated into 13th century England with a duller/less interesting plot and a less villianous adversary. And a lesser score. And a more pedestrian romance. And not as many cool action scenes. And not as many memorable characters. And a female lead (Cate Blanchett is can't miss) who is woefully miscast. And ... well you get the point. And yes, Crowe is a better actor than Costner (though for a guy who did Field of Dreams, Bull Durham, Dances With Wolves, etc. etc. he sure seems to get no respect, lol) .... but honestly I'll take Costner in his interpretation over what Crowe and Ridley came up with any day of the week. Costner may have completely missed the boat with the terrible accent, but he got most everything else right. Crowe misses the mark on everything including the "Irish" accent (lol). Though you can't really fault him with the script I guess.

#20 of 30 OFFLINE   Jason Charlton

Jason Charlton

Producer

• 3,279 posts
  • LocationBaltimore, MD

Posted May 20 2010 - 02:23 AM

Haven't seen the movie and doubt I will, but found this article very interesting.  It attempts to chronicle the script development for the film, and describes how it went through MASSIVE changes.

I love these types of stories.

http://nymag.com/dai...ssell_crow.html

Are you new to the Home Theater Forum? Stop by the New Member Introductions area and introduce yourself! See you there!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users