Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

Paypal in my checking account

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
5 replies to this topic

#1 of 6 OFFLINE   Henry Gale

Henry Gale

Producer

• 4,633 posts

Posted May 12 2010 - 04:00 PM

How did Paypal just make a withdrawal from my checking account?

I'm sure I never gave them that info, well, not knowingly.

They just cost me a bank fee.

Anyone know anything about this process?

"I was born to ramble, born to rove
Some men are searchin for the Holy Grail
But there ain't nothin sweeter 
Than riden' the rails."
-Tom Waits-

#2 of 6 OFFLINE   ChristopherG

ChristopherG

Screenwriter

• 1,523 posts

Posted May 13 2010 - 12:27 AM

To become a confirmed member, I believe you have to provide them with your bank account information.  I seem to recall them needing to debit my account for a $0.25 and then they would put it back - once completed you become "verified".  So, if you then use Paypal and do not have enough in your paypal account, they will hit your bank account.

It takes 52 pounds of pressure to rupture an eyeball... :blink:

#3 of 6 OFFLINE   Malcolm R

Malcolm R

Executive Producer

• 11,681 posts
  • LocationVermont

Posted May 13 2010 - 06:24 AM

When I joined, they actually made two small deposits to my account, which I then had to confirm.

Did you recently use PayPal to make a payment somewhere?  As Chris said, if there is not enough balance in your PayPal account to cover the balance, they'll take it from somewhere else. I usually have them take it from a credit card, but they always make it default to the bank account so you have to manually switch it to the card.

The purpose of an education is to replace an empty mind with an open mind.

#4 of 6 OFFLINE   Henry Gale

Henry Gale

Producer

• 4,633 posts

Posted May 13 2010 - 09:23 AM

Thanks.

Yes, I had made a small purchase on Ebay, but I expected it to come from a credit card. There was no money in the checking account they hit so I got an overdraft charge.

Complained to the bank this morning and they removed the charge. More than I expected./img/vbsmilies/htf/smile.gif

"I was born to ramble, born to rove
Some men are searchin for the Holy Grail
But there ain't nothin sweeter 
Than riden' the rails."
-Tom Waits-

#5 of 6 OFFLINE   Cameron Yee

Cameron Yee

Executive Producer

• 10,655 posts
  • LocationSince 2006

Posted May 17 2010 - 01:52 PM

Yes, you have to be careful because Paypal withdraws in this order:

Paypal Account

Bank Account

Credit Card

You have to select credit card each time if that is your preferred method of payment.

It can also get problematic if you have overdraft protection, as it will not tell Paypal there are insufficient funds. At least in that scenario you would be dealing with interest rather than the usually exorbitant overdraft charge.

One thing leads to another at cameronyee.com

#6 of 6 OFFLINE   JohnRice

JohnRice

Lead Actor

• 8,578 posts

Posted May 23 2010 - 03:21 PM

You can also select to have NO instant funding with PayPal, which is what I did.  The downside is, if you don't have the money in the PayPal account, you can't complete the purchase.  The upside is, there are never unexpected withdrawals.  I also thought you could select your credit card as the only source for instant funding, but they might have gotten rid of that, since they have to pay a transaction fee.

The Hybrid System

The Music Part: Emotiva XSP-1, Thiel CS 3.6, Emotiva XPA-2, Marantz SA8004, Emotiva ERC-3, SVS PB-12 Plus 2

The Surround Part: Sherbourn PT-7030, Thiel SCS3, Emotiva XPA-5, Polk & Emotiva Surrounds.