Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

Paramount Announcement: Paramount Home Entertainment Recalling Saving Private Ryan Blu-ray Discs

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
71 replies to this topic

#1 of 72 OFFLINE   Ronald Epstein

Ronald Epstein

Studio Mogul

• 42,332 posts

Posted May 12 2010 - 08:55 AM

PARAMOUNT HOME ENTERTAINMENT RECALLING SAVING PRIVATE RYAN SAPPHIRE SERIES BLU-RAY DISCS Replacement Product to be Available at Retail by Tuesday, May 18             HOLLYWOOD, CA (May 12, 2010) – Paramount Home Entertainment today announced that it is recalling the Sapphire Series Blu-ray edition of Saving Private Ryan recently released in North America, the United Kingdom and the Benelux countries due to an audio synch error that occurred during Technicolor’s authoring process. Although Technicolor employs comprehensive quality control measures, in this instance the issue was not detected prior to replication. “Technicolor has been a valuable partner to Paramount Home Entertainment, and both Paramount and Technicolor are committed to providing the highest quality product to consumers,” said Dennis Maguire, President, Paramount Pictures Home Entertainment Worldwide. “Our Sapphire Series was created to present our greatest films with the finest picture and sound quality available. Saving Private Ryan is a five time Academy Award® winning film including Best Director from one of America’s most acclaimed filmmakers so we are recalling this edition to ensure that every Blu-ray disc honors Steven Spielberg’s vision.” Technicolor has set up the following toll-free numbers for consumers who have already purchased the Saving Private Ryan Sapphire Series Blu-ray, which provides details on how they can receive a replacement copy—US and Canada: 888-370-8621, UK: 08000-852-613. Consumers can also return the Blu-ray to the stores where they purchased the product to receive a replacement. Technicolor expects to have replacement discs available at retail no later than Tuesday, May 18.

Ronald J Epstein
Home Theater Forum co-owner

Click Here for the latest/hottest Blu-ray Preorders  Click Here for our complete Blu-ray review archive

Click Here for our complete 3D Blu-ray review archive Click Here for our complete DVD review archive

Click Here for Blu-Ray Preorder Release Schedule  Click Here for forum posting rules and regulations

#2 of 72 OFFLINE   Hollywoodaholic

Hollywoodaholic

Edge of Glory?

• 1,425 posts
  • LocationSomewhere in Florida

Posted May 12 2010 - 09:04 AM

How embarrassing. And on a Spielberg film, no less. But where was the love on "Gladiator?" I'll wait to exchange this at Best Buy.

#3 of 72 OFFLINE   FoxyMulder

FoxyMulder

映画ファン

• 5,049 posts
  • LocationScotland

Posted May 12 2010 - 09:09 AM

I find it funny that the Paramount rep says that when they didn't recall Gladiator which was an embarrassment, still that films 10th anniversary remastered edition was just released in France and is out all over the world this year. This is a real pain though as i got mine from Movietyme which now means i have to email them and ask them to accept a return and hope they can fix this for me and that means sending mine in and receiving a replacement. I bet if this was any release other than a Spielberg one that this would have been hushed up. Still on the bright side i do believe this bodes well for future Spielberg releases as far as the quality goes. I did check out the beach scenes and noticed lip sync issues.

:Fun Movie Quotes:

"A good body with a dull brain is as cheap as life itself"   

"Maybe it's a sheep dog... let's keep going" 

"Please doctor, I've got to ask this. It sounds like, well, just as though you're describing some form of super carrot"

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

#4 of 72 OFFLINE   ChadMcCallum

ChadMcCallum

Second Unit

• 438 posts

Posted May 12 2010 - 09:11 AM

Originally Posted by Hollywoodaholic 

But where was the love on "Gladiator?"

Excellent question. I guess Ridley Scott either wasn't aware of the problem, didn't care or doesn't have the clout with Paramount that Spielberg has.

#5 of 72 OFFLINE   Steve Tannehill

Steve Tannehill

Producer

• 5,550 posts
  • LocationDFW

Posted May 12 2010 - 09:11 AM

I called the toll free number. They took my name, address, and phone number and said that they would send me a replacement disc.

#6 of 72 ONLINE   Powell&Pressburger

Powell&Pressburger

Screenwriter

• 1,387 posts
  • LocationMPLS, MN

Posted May 12 2010 - 09:12 AM

Embarrasing would be Universal releasing poor Blus for Spartacus and Out of Africa and Elizabeth. This is actually a way to correct an authoring error. I called and it was easy they take your name address and telephone number to replace your disc.

Stop the Replacing of original Studio Opening / Closing logos! They are part of film history.

Marantz SR7007 MartinLogan: ESL, Grotto i, Motif, FX2, Motion 15
Oppo BDP-103 Region Free Pioneer LD CLD-D505
Panasonic 65" TC-P65ZT60

#7 of 72 OFFLINE   Christian Preischl

Christian Preischl

Screenwriter

• 1,376 posts

Posted May 12 2010 - 10:56 AM

Well, I gonna put the question out there: has anybody from Europe who owns the US disc called Paramount? Do they ship overseas? I have my doubts, but you never know.

#8 of 72 OFFLINE   Jeff Robertson

Jeff Robertson

Second Unit

• 465 posts

Posted May 12 2010 - 12:53 PM

From what I have read, chapter 15 is where one can test to see if the lip synch problem exists. This chapter opens with Miller at a coffee machine, but he is not talking to anyone at that time. He does start talking once he goes outside. I didn't notice anything out of synch here on my Oppo BDP-83 player. I haven't tried the disc on my Sony BD player though.....EDIT...I just popped it in and I am seeing some dialog out of sync when four of the guys are talking on the stairs. There is some distance from the camera, and on my 55" display, I barely noticed it. The synching improved as the scene advanced and when the camera came in closer, it looked spot-on. I will have to review this scene again on my Oppo.

#9 of 72 OFFLINE   Jeff Robertson

Jeff Robertson

Second Unit

• 465 posts

Posted May 12 2010 - 01:05 PM

It plays out the same way on the Oppo. I must have not noticed it the first around due to how far away the men's faces are from the camera. Are there any other scenes where the lip synch problem is more obvious? Otherwise, I'm not sure that I need to bother with replacement. I am certainly not going to be getting a larger display anytime soon and if I ever do, I'm sure the platinum 4K Super HD version of the disc will be out by then. [/url] From what I have read, chapter 15 is where one can test to see if the lip synch problem exists. This chapter opens with Miller at a coffee machine, but he is not talking to anyone at that time. He does start talking once he goes outside. I didn't notice anything out of synch here on my Oppo BDP-83 player. I haven't tried the disc on my Sony BD player though.....EDIT...I just popped it in and I am seeing some dialog out of sync when four of the guys are talking on the stairs. There is some distance from the camera, and on my 55" display, I barely noticed it. The synching improved as the scene advanced and when the camera came in closer, it looked spot-on. I will have to review this scene again on my Oppo. [/quote]

#10 of 72 OFFLINE   AaronMK

AaronMK

Supporting Actor

• 768 posts
  • LocationOrlando, FL

Posted May 12 2010 - 03:34 PM

Quote:
I did check out the beach scenes and noticed lip sync issues.
I think you would be the first person I have heard about noticing sync issues there.  I thought everything sounded perfectly in sync at that point.  After the espresso machine, it sounded out of sync consistently.  Not by much, but enough to be slightly disorienting.  I started noticing it when the lid of the espresso machine closed, and the sound had a delayed reaction.  Same with gun shots, and when characters said something fast. Anyway, I appreciate that Paramount is fixing the problem. Even if it is because Spielberg's clout, I'm impressed on how quickly they are releasing fixed discs.

#11 of 72 OFFLINE   FoxyMulder

FoxyMulder

映画ファン

• 5,049 posts
  • LocationScotland

Posted May 13 2010 - 01:22 AM

Tom Hanks is on the beach with someone next to him and he is saying something and the audio of his voice was slightly out of sync with his lips, as i say above i only viewed parts of it and was going to watch the whole movie this week sometime. I did call the American number since i have an import disc ( although i am the UK ) and i asked several questions only be told each time that they didn't know a thing about why the disc was being recalled and they were just hired to man the phones and take numbers, they couldn't even tell me if i would get a disc sent from America to Scotland but took my address details anyway but they had a bit of trouble with the telephone number on their computer screen as a UK number doesn't fit their box. I would imagine the UK disc is identical but i don't want the UK packaging with certificate on the front.

"Please doctor, I've got to ask this. It sounds like, well, just as though you're describing some form of super carrot"

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

#12 of 72 ONLINE   TravisR

TravisR

Studio Mogul

• 23,180 posts
  • LocationThe basement of the FBI building

Posted May 13 2010 - 01:35 AM

Originally Posted by FoxyMulder 

Tom Hanks is on the beach with someone next to him and he is saying something and the audio of his voice was slightly out of sync with his lips, as i say above i only viewed parts of it and was going to watch the whole movie this week sometime.

Keep in mind that huge portions (if not all) of the dialogue in the opening are likely to have been re-recorded during ADR sessions so that might be an explanation.

#13 of 72 OFFLINE   FoxyMulder

FoxyMulder

映画ファン

• 5,049 posts
  • LocationScotland

Posted May 13 2010 - 03:10 AM

I wouldn't rule it out since i have yet to watch the whole movie but just in case i am going to get a replacement disc as you never know if there are issues elsewhere such as the aforementioned coffee scene. Mind you i doubt Spielberg would allow what Hanks is saying to be slightly off as to be that noticeable so it probably is the reported lip synch issues.

#14 of 72 OFFLINE   cineMANIAC

cineMANIAC

Screenwriter

• 1,997 posts
  • LocationNew York City/San Lorenzo, PR

Posted May 13 2010 - 03:48 AM

Great. I suppose they'll want a receipt as a condition for replacement - I threw it away. So I paid $34 for a defective blu-ray I can't exchange. Glad I kept the old DVD.
RIP Roberto Gomez Bolanos.

#15 of 72 OFFLINE   dpippel

dpippel

HTF Premium Member

• 3,435 posts

Posted May 13 2010 - 03:53 AM

Why would they require a receipt? You're in possession of the defective item. It's not as if two people can return the same disc.

Careful man, there's a beverage here!

#16 of 72 OFFLINE   cineMANIAC

cineMANIAC

Screenwriter

• 1,997 posts
  • LocationNew York City/San Lorenzo, PR

Posted May 13 2010 - 04:03 AM

Originally Posted by dpippel 

Why would they require a receipt? You're in possession of the defective item. It's not as if two people can return the same disc.

I could've found it on the street or gotten it for free somewhere. They wouldn't want to just "give" me a blu-ray

RIP Roberto Gomez Bolanos.

#17 of 72 OFFLINE   dpippel

dpippel

HTF Premium Member

• 3,435 posts

Posted May 13 2010 - 04:12 AM

Originally Posted by Luisito34 

I could've found it on the street or gotten it for free somewhere. They wouldn't want to just "give" me a blu-ray

They wouldn't just be giving it to you. You've got the product in your possession. Just because you may have received it as a gift or lost the receipt doesn't change the fact that it's defective. I've been involved in several DVD product replacement programs and not one of them required a receipt. I either sent in the disc itself or the UPC and it was a done deal. I seriously doubt that you have anything to worry about.

Careful man, there's a beverage here!

#18 of 72 OFFLINE   JonZ

JonZ

Lead Actor

• 7,794 posts

Posted May 13 2010 - 06:20 AM

I called the number and they said Best Buy will exchange the disc without a receipt. I was right there today so I decided to go in and see if they had any of the fixed discs. Was told they returned their entire stock and are expecting new discs next week.

#19 of 72 OFFLINE   Christian P

Christian P

Stunt Coordinator

• 86 posts

Posted May 13 2010 - 10:55 AM

Originally Posted by Christian Preischl 

Well, I gonna put the question out there: has anybody from Europe who owns the US disc called Paramount? Do they ship overseas? I have my doubts, but you never know.

I also would like to know. I think I never returned a disc to Amazon.com. Does anyone have experience with that process? Do they send out a prepaid mailer or do you have to advance the return postage?

#20 of 72 ONLINE   TravisR

TravisR

Studio Mogul

• 23,180 posts
  • LocationThe basement of the FBI building

Posted May 13 2010 - 11:51 AM

^ I don't know how it works outside of  the U.S. but in my experience you have to send the item back to Amazon using your own box and money. When you contact them and say you have a defective disc, they give you a label with their address on it and they immediately send you a new copy of the item. Once again, I have no idea how if that's how it works for international orders.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users