Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

A few words about...™ Spartacus -- in Blu-ray

A Few Words About

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
437 replies to this topic

#81 of 438 OFFLINE   trajan

trajan

Screenwriter

• 1,085 posts

Posted May 17 2010 - 09:48 PM

Check out the rave review at DVD Talk.

#82 of 438 OFFLINE   FoxyMulder

FoxyMulder

映画ファン

• 5,073 posts
  • LocationScotland

Posted May 18 2010 - 12:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by trajan /forum/thread/300552/a-few-words-about-spartacus-in-blu-ray/60#post_3692074 After looking at the screen captions at dvdbeaver, all  I can say is that the  bluray blows the dvd out of the water. The sharpness on the bluray is amazing! A must buy for me.
Is this a joke. ?

:Fun Movie Quotes:

"A good body with a dull brain is as cheap as life itself"   

"Maybe it's a sheep dog... let's keep going" 

"Please doctor, I've got to ask this. It sounds like, well, just as though you're describing some form of super carrot"

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

#83 of 438 OFFLINE   EnricoE

EnricoE

Supporting Actor

• 518 posts

Posted May 18 2010 - 12:54 AM

well, i guess my criterion dvd will stay in the shelf.   thanks mr. harris for this insightful information on how universal screwed up spartacus once again :(

#84 of 438 OFFLINE   Torsten Kaiser

Torsten Kaiser

Film Restoration & Preservation

• 96 posts

Posted May 18 2010 - 01:03 AM

http://www.dvdtalk.c...edition/#foot 4   It will never seize to amaze me how some people can determine with absolute precision the values, quality or deficiencies of a particular film element or the respective derived master without ever having layed eyes on it much less having a background in handling same.  
Torsten Kaiser
-----------------------
TLEFilms Film Restoration & Preservation Services
www.TLEFilms.com

#85 of 438 OFFLINE   FoxyMulder

FoxyMulder

映画ファン

• 5,073 posts
  • LocationScotland

Posted May 18 2010 - 04:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Torsten Kaiser /forum/thread/300552/a-few-words-about-spartacus-in-blu-ray/60#post_3692113

http://www.dvdtalk.c...edition/#foot 4

It will never seize to amaze me how some people can determine with absolute precision the values, quality or deficiencies of a particular film element or the respective derived master without ever having layed eyes on it much less having a background in handling same.  

Gee i gotta say i had Zulu for rental last month and i thought it lacked fine detail, the exact opposite of what the reviewer you link to says, in fact Zulu is horrendous and i thought the fine detail was non-existant and i'm no expert but could see that clearly it was a poor release.

Is Spartacus as bad as Zulu. ?

"Please doctor, I've got to ask this. It sounds like, well, just as though you're describing some form of super carrot"

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

#86 of 438 OFFLINE   PaulDA

PaulDA

Screenwriter

• 2,617 posts
  • LocationSt. Hubert, Quebec, Canada

Posted May 18 2010 - 06:20 AM

/forum/thread/300552/a-few-words-about-spartacus-in-blu-ray/60#post_3692126   Gee i gotta say i had Zulu for rental last month and i thought it lacked fine detail, the exact opposite of what the reviewer you link to says, in fact Zulu is horrendous and i thought the fine detail was non-existant and i'm no expert but could see that clearly it was a poor release.   Is Spartacus as bad as Zulu. ?
He refers to a UK release (perhaps that accounts for the difference?).  
Never try to teach a pig to sing. It wastes time, and it annoys the pig.

#87 of 438 OFFLINE   FoxyMulder

FoxyMulder

映画ファン

• 5,073 posts
  • LocationScotland

Posted May 18 2010 - 06:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulDA /forum/thread/300552/a-few-words-about-spartacus-in-blu-ray/60#post_3692170 In fairness, I don't think Glenn Erickson is making such definitive statements.  He is careful to note that he is reporting what he sees on his equipment and that he is not an expert on the technical side of things (he also offers links to why, for him, an improvement over DVD is often "enough").  I'm not saying his view of the PQ in this case should be privileged over that of RAH (I find myself in agreement more often with RAH than Erickson re: PQ, where they differ, by a wide margin) but I do think it unfair to characterize Erickson's comments as a claim of "absolute precision".   What I do value from Erickson are his discussions of the films themselves (the content, not the technical elements).  That is his strength.   He refers to a UK release (perhaps that accounts for the difference?).  
I am UK and i am fully aware of how the transfer for Zulu came about as i researched this after watching it. The USA have a different distributor therefore i am hopeful a better transfer might eventually pop up.   I'm just wondering since both films were shot Super Technirama 70 if Spartacus has suffered as poor a blu ray release as Zulu.  

#88 of 438 OFFLINE   Steve Christou

Steve Christou

Long Member

• 14,808 posts
  • LocationLondon, England

Posted May 18 2010 - 06:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FoxyMulder /forum/thread/300552/a-few-words-about-spartacus-in-blu-ray/60#post_3692126   Gee i gotta say i had Zulu for rental last month and i thought it lacked fine detail, the exact opposite of what the reviewer you link to says, in fact Zulu is horrendous and i thought the fine detail was non-existant and i'm no expert but could see that clearly it was a poor release.   Is Spartacus as bad as Zulu. ?
Was it on VHS? The Zulu I saw on Blu-ray looked fantastic, fine detail, gorgeous colours. One of the best Blu-rays I've seen. I find people's opinions here fascinating, and I never cancel an order, I want to see the film for myself, and than decide. /img/vbsmilies/htf/smile.gif

Dave hören... auf, wille stoppen sie Dave... stoppen sie Dave... Mein gehirn geht... Ich bin gefühl es... Ich bin gefühl es... Ich bin ängstlich Dave... Guter Nachmittag. Ich bin ein HAL 9000 computer. Ich wurde funktionsfähig am HAL-Betrieb in Urbana, Illinois auf January 12 1992.

My DVD and Blu-ray Blog

#89 of 438 OFFLINE   FoxyMulder

FoxyMulder

映画ファン

• 5,073 posts
  • LocationScotland

Posted May 18 2010 - 06:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Steve Christou /forum/thread/300552/a-few-words-about-spartacus-in-blu-ray/60#post_3692185

Was it on VHS? The Zulu I saw on Blu-ray looked fantastic, fine detail, gorgeous colours. One of the best Blu-rays I've seen. I find people's opinions here fascinating, and I never cancel an order until I've seen the film for myself. /img/vbsmilies/htf/smile.gif

My thoughts are posted here.

http://www.darkrealm...creencaps-zulu/

You tell me if its the same film you saw, i watched on a 104inch screen, i saw no fine detail and the image looked very processed to me, detail was just poor, glad you enjoyed it though and i wish i had your eyes so that i could enjoy everything they give us on blu ray.

#90 of 438 OFFLINE   John Hodson

John Hodson

Producer

• 4,495 posts
  • LocationBolton, Lancashire

Posted May 18 2010 - 06:56 AM

/forum/thread/300552/a-few-words-about-spartacus-in-blu-ray/60#post_3692183 I am UK and i am fully aware of how the transfer for Zulu came about as i researched this after watching it.
Oh? Do tell.
So many films, so little time...
Film Journal Blog
Lt. Col. Thursday: Beaufort; no preliminary nonsense with him, no ceremonial phrasing. Straight from the shoulder as I tell you, do you hear me? They're recalcitrant swine and they must feel it...

#91 of 438 OFFLINE   John Hodson

John Hodson

Producer

• 4,495 posts
  • LocationBolton, Lancashire

Posted May 18 2010 - 07:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FoxyMulder /forum/thread/300552/a-few-words-about-spartacus-in-blu-ray/60#post_3692188

I've yet to see Zulu on BD yet myself, but a couple of points. The 6 channel magnetic track appears to be lost. Sheldon Hall author of Zulu: With Some Guts Behind It has lead the search to try and track one down for years now, but no luck (the fact that it may turn up - ever the optimist - has lead to my not replacing my SD copy with BD). A couple of years ago, Dr Hall said Paramount now held worldwide rights to Zulu (IMDB seems to agree with this), and claimed a US release of the latest restoration was on the way. But no news since - seeing as it's Paramount we're talking about here, that comes as no surprise.

Apologies for the OT comments.
So many films, so little time...
Film Journal Blog
Lt. Col. Thursday: Beaufort; no preliminary nonsense with him, no ceremonial phrasing. Straight from the shoulder as I tell you, do you hear me? They're recalcitrant swine and they must feel it...

#92 of 438 OFFLINE   Steve Christou

Steve Christou

Long Member

• 14,808 posts
  • LocationLondon, England

Posted May 18 2010 - 07:08 AM

Those Zulu screenshots looked great! You don't mind if I grab a few for my website "Blu-ray for people with normal-sized screens" do you? /img/vbsmilies/htf/smiley_wink.gif   So wait, people are cancelling orders because some of these old films don't look so good on giant wall-sized screens? [wince]

Dave hören... auf, wille stoppen sie Dave... stoppen sie Dave... Mein gehirn geht... Ich bin gefühl es... Ich bin gefühl es... Ich bin ängstlich Dave... Guter Nachmittag. Ich bin ein HAL 9000 computer. Ich wurde funktionsfähig am HAL-Betrieb in Urbana, Illinois auf January 12 1992.

My DVD and Blu-ray Blog

#93 of 438 OFFLINE   FoxyMulder

FoxyMulder

映画ファン

• 5,073 posts
  • LocationScotland

Posted May 18 2010 - 07:12 AM

has lead the search to try and track one down for years now, but no luck (the fact that it may turn up - ever the optimist - has lead to my not replacing my SD copy with BD). A couple years ago, Dr Hall said Paramount now held worldwide rights to Zulu (a fact IMDB seems to agree with), and claimed a US release of the latest restoration was on the way. But no news since - seeing as it's Paramount we're talking about here, that comes as no surprise.   Apologies for the OT comments.
Thats interesting, i was under the impression Sony/MGM held the rights, not such good news then. ( in my opinion since the same transfer will hit America )   Thanks for the info about the 6 channel magnetic soundtrack, i'll revise my blog with that info.   My information is the UK edition was done for Sky HD with the full involvement of Paramount.   I won't bring up Zulu again since it's off topic, although in a way since both were shot Super Technirama 70 it is also on topic. ( a little )  

#94 of 438 OFFLINE   Robert Harris

Robert Harris

Archivist

• 8,120 posts

Posted May 18 2010 - 07:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulDA /forum/thread/300552/a-few-words-about-spartacus-in-blu-ray/60#post_3692170 What I do value from Erickson are his discussions of the films themselves (the content, not the technical elements).  That is his strength.
Could not agree more.  Glenn's pieces always have something interesting to add to the equation.   RAH

"All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find that it was vanity: but the dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible. This I did." T.E. Lawrence

#95 of 438 OFFLINE   Paul Penna

Paul Penna

Supporting Actor

• 547 posts

Posted May 18 2010 - 09:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FoxyMulder /forum/thread/300552/a-few-words-about-spartacus-in-blu-ray/60#post_3692188

You tell me if its the same film you saw, i watched on a 104inch screen, i saw no fine detail and the image looked very processed to me, detail was just poor, glad you enjoyed it though and i wish i had your eyes so that i could enjoy everything they give us on blu ray.

Wow! I had no idea that Michael Caine was made out of plastic.

#96 of 438 OFFLINE   Mike Frezon

Mike Frezon

Studio Mogul

• 32,930 posts
  • LocationRensselaer, NY

Posted May 18 2010 - 09:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul Penna /forum/thread/300552/a-few-words-about-spartacus-in-blu-ray/90#post_3692230 Wow! I had no idea that Michael Caine was made out of plastic.
Imagine his wife's surprise...

There's Jessie the yodeling cowgirl. Bullseye, he's Woody's horse. Pete the old prospector. And, Woody, the man himself.Of course, it's time for Woody's RoundUp. He's the very best! He's the rootinest, tootinest cowboy in the wild, wild west!

HTF Rules | HTF Mission Statement | Father of the Bride

Dieting with my Dog & Heart to Heart/Hand in Paw by Peggy Frezon

#97 of 438 OFFLINE   Robert Crawford

Robert Crawford

• 26,150 posts
  • LocationMichigan

Posted May 18 2010 - 01:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Christou /forum/thread/300552/a-few-words-about-spartacus-in-blu-ray/60#post_3692185   Was it on VHS? The Zulu I saw on Blu-ray looked fantastic, fine detail, gorgeous colours. One of the best Blu-rays I've seen. I find people's opinions here fascinating, and I never cancel an order, I want to see the film for myself, and than decide. /img/vbsmilies/htf/smile.gif
There are others, myself included that are happy with the Zulu BRD, but there are other people that feel the complete opposite.  We've had this same discussion beforehand when the disc first came out.  Anyhow, no use discussing Zulu in a Spartacus thread.             Crawdaddy

Crawdaddy

Blu-ray Preorder Listing

#98 of 438 OFFLINE   taoyue

taoyue

Auditioning

• 8 posts

Posted May 18 2010 - 03:05 PM

If I may take the discussion back to Spartacus rather than Zulu or some other Techirama film:  
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert Harris /forum/thread/300552/a-few-words-about-spartacus-in-blu-ray/60#post_3691742 If the reconstruction and restoration were to be performed digitally from scratch, and I see no reason to do so, as the cost would be well upwards of a million dollars, it would not be done in any of the ways mentioned in the above discussions.   RAH
Didn't Spartacus have some issues with the separation masters?  I seem to remember reading about how the alignment had to be chosen on a scene-by-scene basis, depending on which part of the frame needed to be sharp.  Or am I getting the details mixed up with some other film?    

A digital restoration would allow any shrinkage of the separation masters to be corrected, which would considerably improve the sharpness.

#99 of 438 OFFLINE   Bradley-E

Bradley-E

Screenwriter

• 1,019 posts

Posted May 18 2010 - 03:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LarryH /forum/thread/300552/a-few-words-about-spartacus-in-blu-ray#post_3690502 Just canceled Spartacus,  along with Carlito's Way and Flash Gordon pending actual reviews.
Carlito's Way actually looks quite good.

#100 of 438 OFFLINE   Robert Harris

Robert Harris

Archivist

• 8,120 posts

Posted May 18 2010 - 05:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by taoyue /forum/thread/300552/a-few-words-about-spartacus-in-blu-ray/90#post_3692329 If I may take the discussion back to Spartacus rather than Zulu or some other Techirama film:   Didn't Spartacus have some issues with the separation masters?  I seem to remember reading about how the alignment had to be chosen on a scene-by-scene basis, depending on which part of the frame needed to be sharp.  Or am I getting the details mixed up with some other film?   A digital restoration would allow any shrinkage of the separation masters to be corrected, which would considerably improve the sharpness.
You remember correctly.  In shots over a certain length, positioning had to be corrected multiple times, as shrinkage became worse as one moved closer to the core of the film.  This meant that the exposed stock had to be rewound for each successive exposure, a reference frame put back in place, and filtration changed.  That extremely intensive work was performed by Paul Rutan, now of Triage in Hollywood.     Digital restoration would be performed in a totally different way.   RAH

"All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find that it was vanity: but the dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible. This I did." T.E. Lawrence

3 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 3 guests, 0 anonymous users