Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

Nicholas Hammond's Spider Man series questions?

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
6 replies to this topic

#1 of 7 OFFLINE   JamesSmith

JamesSmith

Supporting Actor

• 852 posts

Posted May 10 2010 - 06:44 AM

Dear TV DVD philes:

There's been a great deal of discussion about the problems the sixties Adam West Batman series has in being cleared for DVD release, but can anybody help me understand who might hold the rights for the seventies live action version of Spider-Man starring Nicholas Hammond?

I know Disney bought out Marvel, so now Disney might own the property, but what studio produced the series back than?

James

#2 of 7 OFFLINE   WaveCrest

WaveCrest

Producer

• 4,110 posts

Posted May 10 2010 - 10:13 AM

I remember watching the Nicholas Hammond Spiderman TV series (or was it a series of TV movies? I can't remember) on BBC2 in the late 80's or early 90's. I thought it was alright.

#3 of 7 OFFLINE   shoeshineboy

shoeshineboy

Second Unit

• 327 posts

Posted May 10 2010 - 03:36 PM

I remember that -- it was 1978 actually. Being a big spiderman fan i was crazy for the show, altho haven't seen it since it first aired. My faded memory of it makes out a less technical, adventures of superman kind of show... I do recall that in the first show JJ Jamieson was played by Larry Tate, er David White -- who looked perfect for the role of the fire-breathing newspaper editor out for Spidey's head. Then suddenly they replaced him with you'd-know-him-but-not-by-name Robert Simon, who was bald and looked nothing like Ditko and Romita's cigar-chewing character.

Extra triviality: both White and Simon worked together on Bewitched, with Simon playing Darren's father.

#4 of 7 OFFLINE   AndyMcKinney

AndyMcKinney

Screenwriter

• 1,978 posts
  • LocationKentucky, USA

Posted May 11 2010 - 12:38 AM

Charles Fries' company produced the show. In the '80s, episodes were released on VHS by CBS/Fox and in the '90s, by Rhino.

I doubt there's a tricky rights situation keeping this show out of circulation. More likely, a lack of faith (or interest) in the property by the rights holders.

#5 of 7 OFFLINE   DeWilson

DeWilson

Screenwriter

• 1,998 posts

Posted May 11 2010 - 05:40 AM

Originally Posted by AndyMcKinney 

Charles Fries' company produced the show. In the '80s, episodes were released on VHS by CBS/Fox and in the '90s, by Rhino.

I doubt there's a tricky rights situation keeping this show out of circulation. More likely, a lack of faith (or interest) in the property by the rights holders.

There was also a double-disc laserdisc release as well.

#6 of 7 ONLINE   Jack P

Jack P

Producer

• 3,105 posts

Posted May 11 2010 - 06:57 AM

I would think there would have to be some kind of rights foul-up at the moment because the optimum time to release these on DVD was during the height of interest when the movies were coming out.

#7 of 7 OFFLINE   AndyMcKinney

AndyMcKinney

Screenwriter

• 1,978 posts
  • LocationKentucky, USA

Posted May 12 2010 - 12:50 AM

Originally Posted by Jack P 

I would think there would have to be some kind of rights foul-up at the moment because the optimum time to release these on DVD was during the height of interest when the movies were coming out.

Unless Marvel (or the current rights-holder) thought the TV series too crappy to put out there (or perceived there wouldn't be much interest).

As long as they were the original hour-long episodes (and not the "movie versions" that CBS and Rhino put out), I'd be on board to buy!