What's new

Nicholas Hammond's Spider Man series questions? (1 Viewer)

JamesSmith

Senior HTF Member
Dear TV DVD philes:

There's been a great deal of discussion about the problems the sixties Adam West Batman series has in being cleared for DVD release, but can anybody help me understand who might hold the rights for the seventies live action version of Spider-Man starring Nicholas Hammond?

I know Disney bought out Marvel, so now Disney might own the property, but what studio produced the series back than?

James

WaveCrest

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Richard
I remember watching the Nicholas Hammond Spiderman TV series (or was it a series of TV movies? I can't remember) on BBC2 in the late 80's or early 90's. I thought it was alright.

shoeshineboy

Second Unit
Real Name
dan olson
I remember that -- it was 1978 actually. Being a big spiderman fan i was crazy for the show, altho haven't seen it since it first aired. My faded memory of it makes out a less technical, adventures of superman kind of show... I do recall that in the first show JJ Jamieson was played by Larry Tate, er David White -- who looked perfect for the role of the fire-breathing newspaper editor out for Spidey's head. Then suddenly they replaced him with you'd-know-him-but-not-by-name Robert Simon, who was bald and looked nothing like Ditko and Romita's cigar-chewing character.

Extra triviality: both White and Simon worked together on Bewitched, with Simon playing Darren's father.

AndyMcKinney

Senior HTF Member
Charles Fries' company produced the show. In the '80s, episodes were released on VHS by CBS/Fox and in the '90s, by Rhino.

I doubt there's a tricky rights situation keeping this show out of circulation. More likely, a lack of faith (or interest) in the property by the rights holders.

DeWilson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Denny
Originally Posted by AndyMcKinney

Charles Fries' company produced the show. In the '80s, episodes were released on VHS by CBS/Fox and in the '90s, by Rhino.

I doubt there's a tricky rights situation keeping this show out of circulation. More likely, a lack of faith (or interest) in the property by the rights holders.

There was also a double-disc laserdisc release as well.

Jack P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jack
I would think there would have to be some kind of rights foul-up at the moment because the optimum time to release these on DVD was during the height of interest when the movies were coming out.

AndyMcKinney

Senior HTF Member
Originally Posted by Jack P

I would think there would have to be some kind of rights foul-up at the moment because the optimum time to release these on DVD was during the height of interest when the movies were coming out.

Unless Marvel (or the current rights-holder) thought the TV series too crappy to put out there (or perceived there wouldn't be much interest).

As long as they were the original hour-long episodes (and not the "movie versions" that CBS and Rhino put out), I'd be on board to buy!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks