What's new

PSYCHO to Blu Ray (1 Viewer)

Sounds great! Psycho and The Exorcist for Halloween this year! Now if Universal would release the Classic Monsters Collection, I would be in Halloween Heaven!

Brandon Conway

captveg
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Brandon Conway
Instant buy here. One of my favorite films, and I never bothered to upgrade my 1998 non-anamorphic DVD since I knew the HD version was relatively around the corner.

JoeBond

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Joseph Myers
According to Blu-ray.com:
[COLOR= rgb(51, 51, 51)]Universal Studios Home Entertainment has announced Alfred Hitchcock's horror classic Psycho for release on Blu-ray on October 19, in a "meticulously restored" 50th Anniversary Edition, with a new 5.1 DTS-HD Master Audio soundtrack (the original mono audio track will be included as well). It will be presented in a single-sided BD50.Psycho will also be honored during its landmark anniversary by the upcoming 2010 Cannes Film Festival. Special features include:[/COLOR]
  • [COLOR= rgb(51, 51, 51)]Feature-length audio commentary with Stephen Rebello (Author of Alfred Hitchcock and the making of Psycho)[/COLOR]
  • [COLOR= rgb(51, 51, 51)]The Making of Psycho: A feature-length documentary on Hitchcock's most shocking film[/COLOR]
  • [COLOR= rgb(51, 51, 51)]In the Master's Shadow – Hitchcock's Legacy: Some of Hollywood's top filmmakers discuss Hitchcock's influence and why his movies continue to thrill audiences.[/COLOR]
  • [COLOR= rgb(51, 51, 51)]Hitchcock/Truffaut Interviews: Excerpts from a 1962 audio interview with Alfred Hitchcock.[/COLOR]
  • [COLOR= rgb(51, 51, 51)]Newsreel Footage: The Release of Psycho: Vintage newsreel on the unique policy Alfred Hitchcock insisted upon for the release of the film.[/COLOR]
  • [COLOR= rgb(51, 51, 51)]The Shower Scene: A look at the impact of music on the infamous "shower scene."[/COLOR]
  • [COLOR= rgb(51, 51, 51)]The Shower Scene: Storyboards by Saul Bass: Original storyboard design.[/COLOR]
  • [COLOR= rgb(51, 51, 51)]Production Notes: Read an essay on the making of the film.[/COLOR]
  • [COLOR= rgb(51, 51, 51)]The Psycho Archives: See the gallery of on-set photo stills from the film's production.[/COLOR]
  • [COLOR= rgb(51, 51, 51)]Posters and Psycho Ads: See a gallery of original posters and ads from the theatrical campaign.[/COLOR]
  • [COLOR= rgb(51, 51, 51)]Lobby Cards: View a gallery of promotional lobby cards from the film's theatrical campaign.[/COLOR]
  • [COLOR= rgb(51, 51, 51)]Behind-The-Scenes Photographs: View rare photos showing the cast and crew at work.[/COLOR]
  • [COLOR= rgb(51, 51, 51)]Psycho Sound: A never-before-seen piece that looks at the re-mastering process required to create a 5.1 mix from the original mono elements using Audionamix technology.[/COLOR]
  • [COLOR= rgb(51, 51, 51)]Theatrical Trailer: Watch the original promotional trailer from the film's theatrical campaign.[/COLOR]
  • [COLOR= rgb(51, 51, 51)]Re-Release Trailers: Watch the promotional trailer created for the re-release of the film.[/COLOR]
[COLOR= rgb(51, 51, 51)]The sound remastering process was started by Universal's in-house post production sound facility started the re-mastering process with the film's previously preserved and restored soundtrack to create a new 5.1 mix. BluWave then contracted Audionamix, a Paris-based audio technology company, to split the original mono music source into quasi-orchestral tracks. Audionamix, a leader in soundtrack separation, then applied their breakthrough proprietary technology enabling BluWave to create a discrete 5.1 split music mix. BluWave's creative talent gathered the original sound effects from the Studios' extensive effects library and, using these source materials, created a 5.1 up-mix to bring Psycho's soundtrack up to the expectations of contemporary audiences while maintaining the original integrity of the filmmaker's vision. The mono audio track will also be available for viewers who want to experience the film in its original form.[/COLOR]

Why don't they release the mono in 1.0. Why is it often 2.0? Only WB seems to do a good job of presenting the mono through the proper channels, so to speak.

Craig Beam

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
CraB
[COLOR= rgb(51, 51, 51)]The sound remastering process was started by Universal's in-house post production sound facility started the re-mastering process with the film's previously preserved and restored soundtrack to create a new 5.1 mix. BluWave then contracted Audionamix, a Paris-based audio technology company, to split the original mono music source into quasi-orchestral tracks. Audionamix, a leader in soundtrack separation, then applied their breakthrough proprietary technology enabling BluWave to create a discrete 5.1 split music mix. BluWave's creative talent gathered the original sound effects from the Studios' extensive effects library and, using these source materials, created a 5.1 up-mix to bring Psycho's soundtrack up to the expectations of contemporary audiences while maintaining the original integrity of the filmmaker's vision. [/COLOR]

And yet.... no isolated music track! Bernard Herrmann's score has never been properly released, aside from bootlegs and re-recordings. What a missed opportunity to finally let this brilliant score shine.

Doug Otte

Supporting Actor
Originally Posted by Eric Scott Richard

Why don't they release the mono in 1.0. Why is it often 2.0? Only WB seems to do a good job of presenting the mono through the proper channels, so to speak.

I prefer mono in 2.0, because the sound is sent to the two main speakers, which provide a fuller soundstage across the front. There's no loss in fidelity doing it this way over 1.0. However, I have to admit that 1.0 soundtracks can sound pretty good, too.

I hope the mono mix is presented in lossless format, but I'm not holding my breath based upon recent mono mixes (The Prisoner, The African Queen). Criterion seems to be the only company utilizing mono lossless audio.

Doug

John Skoda

Second Unit
An isolated music-only track would be nice. They obviously have one, because it sounds like that's what this Paris company will work from. Universal did a PSYCHO laserdisc boxed set once, and it had the isolated score--the only time it's been released, as far as I know.

MatthewA

BANNED
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matthew
I wonder how they intend to create a multichannel effect from a mono music track. Hopefully technology has moved beyond the bad old days of "Electronically Rechanneled for Stereo". Here's the company's website:

http://www.audionamix.com/

Steve...O

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve
Mr. Harris posted in another thread (Few Words About Elizabeth):

Universal Blu-rays can no longer be pre-ordered safely.

Quite the shame, as I had high hopes to see BD versions of Vertigo and Rear Window at some point (in addition to the other Uni Hitchcocks).

Hopefully whatever issues they have going on now at Uni will be resolved prior to this disc being unleashed on the masses.

Joe Karlosi

Senior HTF Member
I'm in! I don't even have the film on regular DVD anymore (sold it some time ago with others when I needed some cash, knowing it might come to Blu).

MatthewA

BANNED
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matthew
Originally Posted by Steve...O

Mr. Harris posted in another thread (Few Words About Elizabeth):

Quite the shame, as I had high hopes to see BD versions of Vertigo and Rear Window at some point (in addition to the other Uni Hitchcocks).

Hopefully whatever issues they have going on now at Uni will be resolved prior to this disc being unleashed on the masses.

I've also heard some less-than-great things about the Spartacus BD.

JoeBond

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Joseph Myers
The UK Blu-ray of Psycho was just released yesterday and one review of it has popped up: http://hcc.techradar.com/playback/blu-ray/hitchock-goes-hi-def-our-exclusive-psycho-blu-ray-review-05-08-10. It seems that no DNR was done to the transfer as the original grain structure is still intact. They also mention that the UK disc is Region free which is not a suprise but what suprised me is that not only is the new 5.1 track uncompressed but the original mono is uncompressed. I have read on other forums that its the default track as well. This review is the main reason why I just ordered it from the UK since I would rather have it now vs. waiting another 2 and a half months.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks