Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests to win things like this Logitech Harmony Ultimate Remote and you won't get the popup ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

PSYCHO to Blu Ray

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
175 replies to this topic

#1 of 176 John Morgan

John Morgan

Supporting Actor

• 661 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles

Posted May 10 2010 - 03:06 AM

According to ClassicFlix, PSYCHO is coming to Blu-Ray on October 19th.

#2 of 176 Robert Crawford

Robert Crawford

• 24,130 posts
  • LocationMichigan

Posted May 10 2010 - 03:19 AM

It makes sense with it being the 50th Anniversary this year.

Crawdaddy

Crawdaddy

Blu-ray Preorder Schedule

#3 of 176 Guest__*

Guest__*

Posted May 10 2010 - 04:40 AM

Sounds great! Psycho and The Exorcist for Halloween this year! Now if Universal would release the Classic Monsters Collection, I would be in Halloween Heaven!

#4 of 176 MatthewA

MatthewA

Producer

• 6,008 posts
  • LocationSalinas, CA

Posted May 10 2010 - 04:56 AM

Here's hoping they treat this classic with the care it deserves.

Enough is enough, Disney. We DEMAND the release Song of the South on Blu-ray.

My DVD/BD List at DVD Aficionado

#5 of 176 Brandon Conway

Brandon Conway

captveg

• 7,067 posts
  • LocationNorth Hollywood, CA

Posted May 10 2010 - 05:31 AM

Instant buy here. One of my favorite films, and I never bothered to upgrade my 1998 non-anamorphic DVD since I knew the HD version was relatively around the corner. /img/vbsmilies/htf/thumbsup.gif

"And now the reprimand, from an American critic. He reproaches me for using film as a sacred & lasting medium, like a painting or a book. He does not believe that filmmaking is an inferior art, but he believes, and quite rightly, that a reel goes quickly, that the public are looking above all for relaxation, that film is fragile and that it is pretentious to express the power of one's soul by such ephemeral and delicate means, that Charlie Chaplin's or Buster Keaton's first films can only be seen on very rare and badly spoiled prints. I add that the cinema is making daily progress and that eventually films that we consider marvelous today will soon be forgotten because of new dimensions & colour. This is true. But for 4 weeks this film [The Blood of a Poet] has been shown to audiences that have been so attentive, so eager & so warm, that I wonder after all there is not an anonymous public who are looking for more than relaxation in the cinema." - Jean Cocteau, 1932

#6 of 176 Steve Christou

Steve Christou

Long Member

• 14,162 posts
  • LocationLondon, England

Posted May 10 2010 - 05:40 AM

A horror classic by the master of suspence and a must buy on Blu. /img/vbsmilies/htf/thumbsup.gif

50 years old? Wow!

Posted Image

Dave hören... auf, wille stoppen sie Dave... stoppen sie Dave... Mein gehirn geht... Ich bin gefühl es... Ich bin gefühl es... Ich bin ängstlich Dave... Guter Nachmittag. Ich bin ein HAL 9000 computer. Ich wurde funktionsfähig am HAL-Betrieb in Urbana, Illinois auf January 12 1992.

Lord of the Hubs

#7 of 176 JoeBond

JoeBond

Stunt Coordinator

• 88 posts

Posted May 10 2010 - 08:22 AM

According to Blu-ray.com:

Universal Studios Home Entertainment has announced Alfred Hitchcock's horror classic Psycho for release on Blu-ray on October 19, in a "meticulously restored" 50th Anniversary Edition, with a new 5.1 DTS-HD Master Audio soundtrack (the original mono audio track will be included as well). It will be presented in a single-sided BD50.Psycho will also be honored during its landmark anniversary by the upcoming 2010 Cannes Film Festival.
Special features include:

• Feature-length audio commentary with Stephen Rebello (Author of Alfred Hitchcock and the making of Psycho)
  • The Making of Psycho: A feature-length documentary on Hitchcock's most shocking film
  • In the Master's Shadow – Hitchcock's Legacy: Some of Hollywood's top filmmakers discuss Hitchcock's influence and why his movies continue to thrill audiences.
  • Hitchcock/Truffaut Interviews: Excerpts from a 1962 audio interview with Alfred Hitchcock.
  • Newsreel Footage: The Release of Psycho: Vintage newsreel on the unique policy Alfred Hitchcock insisted upon for the release of the film.
  • The Shower Scene: A look at the impact of music on the infamous "shower scene."
  • The Shower Scene: Storyboards by Saul Bass: Original storyboard design.
  • Production Notes: Read an essay on the making of the film.
  • The Psycho Archives: See the gallery of on-set photo stills from the film's production.
  • Posters and Psycho Ads: See a gallery of original posters and ads from the theatrical campaign.
  • Lobby Cards: View a gallery of promotional lobby cards from the film's theatrical campaign.
  • Behind-The-Scenes Photographs: View rare photos showing the cast and crew at work.
  • Psycho Sound: A never-before-seen piece that looks at the re-mastering process required to create a 5.1 mix from the original mono elements using Audionamix technology.
  • Theatrical Trailer: Watch the original promotional trailer from the film's theatrical campaign.
  • Re-Release Trailers: Watch the promotional trailer created for the re-release of the film.

The sound remastering process was started by Universal's in-house post production sound facility started the re-mastering process with the film's previously preserved and restored soundtrack to create a new 5.1 mix. BluWave then contracted Audionamix, a Paris-based audio technology company, to split the original mono music source into quasi-orchestral tracks. Audionamix, a leader in soundtrack separation, then applied their breakthrough proprietary technology enabling BluWave to create a discrete 5.1 split music mix. BluWave's creative talent gathered the original sound effects from the Studios' extensive effects library and, using these source materials, created a 5.1 up-mix to bring Psycho's soundtrack up to the expectations of contemporary audiences while maintaining the original integrity of the filmmaker's vision.
The mono audio track will also be available for viewers who want to experience the film in its original form.

#8 of 176 oscar_merkx

oscar_merkx

Lead Actor

• 7,632 posts

Posted May 10 2010 - 09:25 AM

Sold

Toastmasters International

Communication is Everything

#9 of 176 Scott D S

Scott D S

Supporting Actor

• 829 posts

Posted May 10 2010 - 12:44 PM

Sold! The inclusion of the original mono track bodes well for the inevitable Jaws Blu-Ray release.

#10 of 176 Guest__*

Guest__*

Posted May 10 2010 - 01:32 PM

Why don't they release the mono in 1.0. Why is it often 2.0? Only WB seems to do a good job of presenting the mono through the proper channels, so to speak.

#11 of 176 Craig Beam

Craig Beam

Screenwriter

• 1,678 posts

Posted May 10 2010 - 04:05 PM

The sound remastering process was started by Universal's in-house post production sound facility started the re-mastering process with the film's previously preserved and restored soundtrack to create a new 5.1 mix. BluWave then contracted Audionamix, a Paris-based audio technology company, to split the original mono music source into quasi-orchestral tracks. Audionamix, a leader in soundtrack separation, then applied their breakthrough proprietary technology enabling BluWave to create a discrete 5.1 split music mix. BluWave's creative talent gathered the original sound effects from the Studios' extensive effects library and, using these source materials, created a 5.1 up-mix to bring Psycho's soundtrack up to the expectations of contemporary audiences while maintaining the original integrity of the filmmaker's vision.

And yet.... no isolated music track!  /img/vbsmilies/htf/mad.gif  Bernard Herrmann's score has never been properly released, aside from bootlegs and re-recordings.  What a missed opportunity to finally let this brilliant score shine.

#12 of 176 DavidJ

DavidJ

Screenwriter

• 2,438 posts

Posted May 10 2010 - 04:07 PM

Great news.  I can't wait (as long as they do it right).

#13 of 176 Doug Otte

Doug Otte

Supporting Actor

• 692 posts

Posted May 11 2010 - 02:12 AM

Originally Posted by Eric Scott Richard 

Why don't they release the mono in 1.0. Why is it often 2.0? Only WB seems to do a good job of presenting the mono through the proper channels, so to speak.

I prefer mono in 2.0, because the sound is sent to the two main speakers, which  provide a fuller soundstage across the front.  There's no loss in fidelity doing it this way over 1.0.  However, I have to admit that 1.0 soundtracks can sound pretty good, too.

I hope the mono mix is presented in lossless format, but I'm not holding my breath based upon recent mono mixes (The Prisoner, The African Queen).  Criterion seems to be the only company utilizing mono lossless audio.

Doug

#14 of 176 John Skoda

John Skoda

Stunt Coordinator

• 161 posts

Posted May 11 2010 - 03:15 AM

An isolated music-only track would be nice.  They obviously have one, because it sounds like that's what this Paris company will work from.  Universal did a PSYCHO laserdisc boxed set once, and it had the isolated score--the only time it's been released, as far as I know.

#15 of 176 MatthewA

MatthewA

Producer

• 6,008 posts
  • LocationSalinas, CA

Posted May 11 2010 - 07:23 AM

I wonder how they intend to create a multichannel effect from a mono music track. Hopefully technology has moved beyond the bad old days of "Electronically Rechanneled for Stereo". Here's the company's website:

http://www.audionamix.com/

#16 of 176 Nailwraps

Nailwraps

Stunt Coordinator

• 73 posts

Posted May 11 2010 - 02:38 PM

Definitely a great way to celebrate the 50th Anniversary!

#17 of 176 Steve...O

Steve...O

Producer

• 3,217 posts

Posted May 11 2010 - 04:29 PM

Mr. Harris posted in another thread (Few Words About Elizabeth):

Universal Blu-rays can no longer be pre-ordered safely.  

Quite the shame, as I had high hopes to see BD versions of Vertigo and Rear Window at some point (in addition to the other Uni Hitchcocks).

Hopefully whatever issues they have going on now at Uni will be resolved prior to this disc being unleashed on the masses.

Please help UCLA restore the Laurel & Hardy films: https://www.cinema.u...aurel-and-hardy

#18 of 176 Joe Karlosi

Joe Karlosi

Producer

• 5,994 posts

Posted May 11 2010 - 10:54 PM

I'm in! I don't even have the film on regular DVD anymore (sold it some time ago with others when I needed some cash, knowing it might come to Blu).

#19 of 176 MatthewA

MatthewA

Producer

• 6,008 posts
  • LocationSalinas, CA

Posted May 12 2010 - 06:30 AM

Originally Posted by Steve...O 

Mr. Harris posted in another thread (Few Words About Elizabeth):

Quite the shame, as I had high hopes to see BD versions of Vertigo and Rear Window at some point (in addition to the other Uni Hitchcocks).

Hopefully whatever issues they have going on now at Uni will be resolved prior to this disc being unleashed on the masses.

I've also heard some less-than-great things about the Spartacus BD.

#20 of 176 JoeBond

JoeBond

Stunt Coordinator

• 88 posts

Posted August 10 2010 - 04:21 AM

The UK Blu-ray of Psycho was just released yesterday and one review of it has popped up: http://hcc.techradar...review-05-08-10. It seems that no DNR was done to the transfer as the original grain structure is still intact. They also mention that the UK disc is Region free which is not a suprise but what suprised me is that not only is the new 5.1 track uncompressed but the original mono is uncompressed. I have read on other forums that its the default track as well. This review is the main reason why I just ordered it from the UK since I would rather have it now vs. waiting another 2 and a half months.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users