-

Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and you won't get the popup ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

WHV Press Release: Forbidden Planet (Blu-ray)

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
31 replies to this topic

#1 of 32 Ronald Epstein

Ronald Epstein

Studio Mogul

• 39,237 posts

Posted May 10 2010 - 02:14 AM

Posted Image

SIX SCI-FI ACTION FAVORITES DEBUT ON

BLU-RAY DISC™ FOR THE FIRST TIME

·        FORBIDDEN PLANET

·        MARS ATTACKS!

·        THX 1138 DIRECTOR’S CUT

·        LOST IN SPACE

·        A SCANNER DARKLY

·        MATRIX RELOADED

AVAILABLE SEPTEMBER 7, 2010

Burbank, Calif., May 10, 2010 – A wave of six science fiction action favorites are blasting onto Blu-ray Disc for the first time on September 7, 2010. Presented by Warner Home Video, each film has been selected to showcase the stunning technical brilliance of Blu-ray™. With its crisp sound and spectacularly vibrant colors, there is simply no better way to watch movies at home. Each title is individually priced at $24.98 SRP. Orders are due August, 3, 2010.

The upcoming wave of sci-fi titles includes the much anticipated release of Forbidden Planet on Blu-ray, one of the most influential science fiction films in cinematic history. The grandfather of sci-fi movies, Forbidden Planet features a number of Oscar®-nominated special effects, groundbreaking use of an all-electronic music score and the first screen appearance of both Robby the Robot and the C-57D flying saucer starship (this was the first film in which humans are depicted traveling in flying saucers of their own construction). A 50th anniversary version of the film was restored by the Warner Bros.-MGM reconstruction crew before its HD DVD release in 2006, and since then there has been an enormous consumer demand for its Blu-ray debut.

Another title making its long-awaited Blu-ray debut is Mars Attacks! the comic science fiction hit directed by Tim Burton (Alice in Wonderland) and based on the cult trading card series of the same name. Mars Attacks! features a huge ensemble cast which includes Jack Nicholson, Lukas Haas, Annette Bening, Jim Brown, Pierce Brosnan, Sarah Jessica Parker, Glenn Close, Martin Short, Michael J. Fox, Jack Black, Natalie Portman, Rod Steiger, Tom Jones, Danny DeVito and more.

With their mind boggling special effects and futuristic themes, sci-fi movies are some of the most sought after Blu-ray titles in the marketplace. Other titles being released on Blu-ray as part of Warner Home Video’s science fiction action promotion include THX 1138Director’s CutLost in SpaceA Scanner Darkly and Matrix Reloaded *.

According to DEG: The Digital Entertainment Group, with input from all major motion picture studios, Blu-ray software continued to see significant growth in the first quarter of 2010, with sell-through up 61 percent and rental up 36 percent, compared to the same period last year. The DEG also announced that Blu-ray hardware sales experienced remarkable growth, with set-tops up an astounding 125 percent versus first quarter 2009, indicating a strong consumer demand for Blu-ray.

About The Films

Forbidden Planet

A dutiful robot named Robby speaks 188 languages. An underground lair provides astonishing evidence of a populace a million years more advanced than Earthlings. There are many wonders on Altair-4, but none is greater or more deadly than the human mind.

Forbidden Planet is the granddaddy of tomorrow, a pioneering work whose ideas and style would be reverse-engineered into many cinematic space voyages to come. Leslie Nielsen portrays the commander who brings his space cruiser crew to the green-skied Altair-4 world that's home to Dr. Morbius (Walter Pidgeon), his daughter (Anne Francis), the remarkable Robby...and to a mysterious terror. Featuring sets of extraordinary scale and the first all-electronic musical soundscape in film history, Forbidden Planet is in a movie orbit all its own.

Director:                    

Fred M. Wilcox

Starring: Leslie Nielsen, Walter Pidgeon and Anne Francis

Posted Image

FORBIDDEN PLANET (BLU-RAY)

TRT: 98 minutes

MPAA Rating: G

Language: English

U.S. Street Date: September 7, 2010

Order Date: August 3, 2010

Catalog / UPC: 1000123199 / 883929114436
$24.98 SRP

Ronald J Epstein
Home Theater Forum co-owner

gallery_269895_23_10043.jpg Click Here for the latest/hottest Blu-ray Preorders gallery_269895_23_1316.jpg Click Here for our complete Blu-ray review archive

gallery_269895_23_773.jpg Click Here for our complete 3D Blu-ray review archive gallery_269895_23_992.jpgClick Here for our complete DVD review archive

gallery_269895_23_7246.jpg Click Here for Blu-Ray Preorder Release Schedule gallery_269895_23_3120.jpg Click Here for forum posting rules and regulations

#2 of 32 Steve Christou

Steve Christou

Executive Producer

• 14,212 posts
  • LocationLondon, England

Posted May 10 2010 - 05:44 AM

"Monsters, John. Monsters from the Id."

My favourite sci-fi film of the 1950's. Can't wait. /img/vbsmilies/htf/smile.gif

Dave hören... auf, wille stoppen sie Dave... stoppen sie Dave... Mein gehirn geht... Ich bin gefühl es... Ich bin gefühl es... Ich bin ängstlich Dave... Guter Nachmittag. Ich bin ein HAL 9000 computer. Ich wurde funktionsfähig am HAL-Betrieb in Urbana, Illinois auf January 12 1992.

Lord of the Hubs

#3 of 32 Jesse Blacklow

Jesse Blacklow

Screenwriter

• 2,049 posts

Posted May 10 2010 - 06:20 AM

Is the lack of special features in the announcement an omission or is it barebones?

"Would I rather be feared or loved? Um...easy, both. I want people to be afraid of how much they love me."
--Michael Scott, The Office

"When I get sad I just stop being sad and be awesome instead. True story."
--Barney Stinson, How I Met Your Mother

#4 of 32 Brandon Conway

Brandon Conway

Lead Actor

• 7,120 posts
  • LocationNorth Hollywood, CA

Posted May 10 2010 - 06:51 AM

I highly doubt the special features from the HD-DVD release would be dropped. They should be identical.

"And now the reprimand, from an American critic. He reproaches me for using film as a sacred & lasting medium, like a painting or a book. He does not believe that filmmaking is an inferior art, but he believes, and quite rightly, that a reel goes quickly, that the public are looking above all for relaxation, that film is fragile and that it is pretentious to express the power of one's soul by such ephemeral and delicate means, that Charlie Chaplin's or Buster Keaton's first films can only be seen on very rare and badly spoiled prints. I add that the cinema is making daily progress and that eventually films that we consider marvelous today will soon be forgotten because of new dimensions & colour. This is true. But for 4 weeks this film [The Blood of a Poet] has been shown to audiences that have been so attentive, so eager & so warm, that I wonder after all there is not an anonymous public who are looking for more than relaxation in the cinema." - Jean Cocteau, 1932

#5 of 32 Johnny Angell

Johnny Angell

Producer

• 5,070 posts
  • LocationCentral Arkansas

Posted May 11 2010 - 01:31 AM

What were the HD special features?  I hope they are there.  It looks like FB will be reasonably priced on release.

Johnny
www.teamfurr.org
But a family cat is not replaceable like a wornout coat or a set of tires. Each new kitten becomes its own cat, and none is repeated. I am four cats old, measuring out my life in friends that have succeeded but not replaced one another.--Irving Townsend

#6 of 32 Nelson Au

Nelson Au

Executive Producer

• 11,122 posts

Posted May 11 2010 - 03:41 AM

Yippee! I was just about to ask if there was any new news on Forbidden Planet!

HD extras are the same as those that came out in the tin box set on DVD. The tin box set was cool because it also had a model of Robby the Robot and lobby cards.

Extras included: lost footage and deleted scenes. Excerpts from The MGM Parade of Stars which were clips of Walter Pidgeon talking to the camera on the set of another film and promoting FP.

Documentaries include: TCM Watch the Skies! Science Fiction, the 1950's and Us. Amazing! Exploring the Far Reaches of Forbidden Planet, and Robby the Robot: Engineering a Sci-Fi Icon.

The last extra is cool because it's about a fan who was so enterprising, he got access to the original Robby the Robot prop/costume and restored it and then recreated his own replica in exacting detail.

Of course, new digital transfer from restored picture and audio elements. 5.1 Dolby digital. Science Fiction movie trailer gallery.

So let me see, for me, that makes this the 6th copy that I'll own! Video tape, Criterion laser disc, first DVD, DVD Tin box set, HD-DVD and soon to be blu-ray. The Criterion LD is really cool because it has deleted scenes and an un-cut version of the ending, photos of the sets and costumes, text of screenplay with notes, lobby card images, and text of Fatal Planet, the short story that led to FB, and that's a list of the main stuff, there was more!

The only thing about this release is why they didn't have or announce if they have any new input from Leslie Nielson, Anne Francis and Earl Holliman for a documentary or audio commentary.

#7 of 32 ahollis

ahollis

Producer

• 5,602 posts
  • LocationNew Orleans

Posted May 11 2010 - 05:26 AM

Where did you see the list of extras.  If the list is true then I might retire the DVD special edition, (keeping the robot though).  And are they including The Invisible Boy as they did the tin?

Originally Posted by Nelson Au 

Yippee! I was just about to ask if there was any new news on Forbidden Planet!

HD extras are the same as those that came out in the tin box set on DVD. The tin box set was cool because it also had a model of Robby the Robot and lobby cards.

Extras included: lost footage and deleted scenes. Excerpts from The MGM Parade of Stars which were clips of Walter Pidgeon talking to the camera on the set of another film and promoting FP.

Documentaries include: TCM Watch the Skies! Science Fiction, the 1950's and Us. Amazing! Exploring the Far Reaches of Forbidden Planet, and Robby the Robot: Engineering a Sci-Fi Icon.

The last extra is cool because it's about a fan who was so enterprising, he got access to the original Robby the Robot prop/costume and restored it and then recreated his own replica in exacting detail.

"Get a director and a writer and leave them alone. That`s how the best pictures get made" - William "Wild Bill" Wellman

#8 of 32 Nelson Au

Nelson Au

Executive Producer

• 11,122 posts

Posted May 11 2010 - 05:53 AM

Allen, sorry if my post was not clear. I was listing the extras that are on the past Tin DVD set and HD-DVD set. And I forgot to include the Invisible Boy extra too.

I think the thinking of the above poster is probably right; that the blu ray would likely include or have all the extras ported over from the past release.

I wouldn't retire my DVD set though. I still have DVD players in other parts of the house./img/vbsmilies/htf/smile.gif

#9 of 32 ahollis

ahollis

Producer

• 5,602 posts
  • LocationNew Orleans

Posted May 11 2010 - 06:14 AM

Thanks.  I all is true the tin becomes a catch all and I will gladly give away the standard DVD.  I seems that I am looking as forward to this as you are.  I will be a good September for both of us.

"Get a director and a writer and leave them alone. That`s how the best pictures get made" - William "Wild Bill" Wellman

#10 of 32 Nelson Au

Nelson Au

Executive Producer

• 11,122 posts

Posted May 11 2010 - 07:10 AM

Yes, I'm really looking forward to the Blu-ray!/img/vbsmilies/htf/smile.gif

#11 of 32 Jesse Blacklow

Jesse Blacklow

Screenwriter

• 2,049 posts

Posted May 12 2010 - 01:30 AM

Extras have been posted at The Digital Fix:

• Deleted Scenes and Lost Footage
  • 2 Follow-Up Vehicles Starring Robby the Robot: Feature Film The Invisible Boy & The Thin Man TV Series Episode Robot Client
  • TCM Original Documentary Watch the Skies! Science Fiction, the 1950s and Us
  • 2 Featurettes: Amazing! Exploring the Far Reaches of Forbidden Planet Robby the Robot: Engineering a Sci-Fi Icon
  • Excerpts from The MGM Parade TV Series
  • Theatrical Trailers of Forbidden Planet and The Invisible Boy

"Would I rather be feared or loved? Um...easy, both. I want people to be afraid of how much they love me."

#12 of 32 felipenor

felipenor

Stunt Coordinator

• 130 posts

Posted May 12 2010 - 02:24 AM

I really wis this came in a digibook packaging.

#13 of 32 Nelson Au

Nelson Au

Executive Producer

• 11,122 posts

Posted May 12 2010 - 03:46 AM

Thanks Jessie. If those are the extra features, then they've not ported all the extras from the past release over. That's too bad. But at least if you have the DVD , you can access the features there.

#14 of 32 Jesse Blacklow

Jesse Blacklow

Screenwriter

• 2,049 posts

Posted May 12 2010 - 04:48 AM

Thanks Jessie. If those are the extra features, then they've not ported all the extras from the past release over. That's too bad. But at least if you have the DVD , you can access the features there.

What's missing? I was using your post and the 2006 release's entry at DVD Empire as a reference, and they're identical.

#15 of 32 Nelson Au

Nelson Au

Executive Producer

• 11,122 posts

Posted May 12 2010 - 02:49 PM

Hi Jesse, The one item I didn't see on your list of the extras is: Robby the Robot: Engineering a Sci-Fi Icon.

But then I looked closer and I see it was part of one of the line items and it appears that it wasn't separated. So my bad!/img/vbsmilies/htf/blush.gif

#16 of 32 Fritz Nilsen

Fritz Nilsen

Second Unit

• 392 posts

Posted May 13 2010 - 09:02 PM

The Criterion LD is really cool because it has deleted scenes and an un-cut version of the ending, photos of the sets and costumes, text of screenplay with notes, lobby card images, and text of Fatal Planet, the short story that led to FB, and that's a list of the main stuff, there was more!

Sounds interesting! And these are not on the recent HD-DVD or the upcoming BD?

I may have to eBay that LD!

#17 of 32 Kevin EK

Kevin EK

Screenwriter

• 2,684 posts

Posted May 14 2010 - 07:29 AM

Nelson, you and I continue our amazing adventures in Laserdiscs here.

I too have the Criterion Laserdisc, as well as the tin set DVD of Forbidden Planet.  And I love that Criterion laser for the same reasons.

Probably why I hung onto pretty much all of my Criterion lasers.

(Like Midnight Cowboy, Tootsie, Secret Honor, etc etc etc)

#18 of 32 Dick

Dick

Producer

• 4,039 posts

Posted May 14 2010 - 11:35 AM

Seems as though they might have commissioned a scholar to provide a commentary track after all this time.

#19 of 32 Nelson Au

Nelson Au

Executive Producer

• 11,122 posts

Posted May 14 2010 - 12:49 PM

Kevin,

Yeah, Criterion had some of the finest laserdisc sets. Nicely thought out supplimental materials that you just don't see today. My first Criterion was 2001: A Space Odyssey.

#20 of 32 Kevin EK

Kevin EK

Screenwriter

• 2,684 posts

Posted May 14 2010 - 02:27 PM

I just can't let go of mine.  Even releases like the CAV Close Encounters and Ghosbusters, in spite of the in-depth DVD and Blu releases that followed.  I still love the materials from the original lasers.  Same thing applies to Forbidden Planet.