Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests to win things like this Logitech Harmony Ultimate Remote and you won't get the popup ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

WHV Press Release: One Flew Over The Cuckoo's Nest 35th Anniversary Ultimate CE (Blu-ray Combo)

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 of 14 Ronald Epstein

Ronald Epstein

Studio Mogul

• 38,856 posts

Posted May 10 2010 - 02:07 AM

A triumph of the human spirit.”

–        Leonard Maltin’s Movie Guide

Funny, shocking, powerful. A film of almost elemental force.”

–        Gene Shalit, “TODAY”/ NBC-TV

Winner of Five Academy Awards® and Six Golden Globes®

ONE FLEW OVER THE CUCKOO’S NEST

35th ANNIVERSARY

ULTIMATE COLLECTOR’S EDITION

ON DVD AND BLU-RAY DISC™

SEPTEMBER 14

Burbank, Calif., May 10, 2010 – Based on the American literary classic by Ken Kesey, One Flew Over the Cuckoo’s Nest is the powerfully dramatic film that took the 1975 Academy Awards® by storm with its compelling tale about the triumph of the human spirit and the fight for freedom. Presented by Warner Home Video, the critically acclaimed, award-winning film makes a very special appearance on September 14, 2010 in an all new Ultimate Collector’s Edition, commemorating the film’s 35th anniversary (Blu-ray Disc™: $49.99 SRP / DVD $39.92 SRP).

Available on DVD and Blu-ray Disc and packed with more than four hours of bonus content, the One Flew Over the Cuckoo’s Nest Ultimate Collector’s Edition will feature “Completely Cuckoo,” the captivating documentary touting rare, frank interviews with the author and an up-close and personal discussion with director Miloš Foremen (AmadeusValmontPeople vs. Larry Flynt), producer Saul Zaentz (The English Patient, Amadeus) and members of the cast such as, Christopher Lloyd, Danny DeVito and Vincent Schiavelli.

The collection also includes an all new interview with producer Michael Douglas, a full-length commentary with Forman, Douglas and Zaentz, deleted scenes and the original trailer for the film. In addition to the impressive bonus content, the 35th anniversary Ultimate Collector’s Edition will contain unique collectibles honoring the film and its legacy, such as playing cards, posters, character cards, pre-production correspondence and fascinating movie trivia.

Undoubtedly one of the greatest films in the history of American cinema, One Flew Over the Cuckoo’s Nest presents a biting and ultimately tragic satire about mental institutions and the human condition. A disturbing, witty and electrifying drama, the film went on to win a total of five Academy Awards®, including Best Picture, Best Actor for Jack Nicholson, Best Actress for Louise Fletcher, Best Direction for Miloš Forman and Best Adapted Screenplay for Laurence Hauben and Bo Goldman.

Synopsis:

R.P. McMurphy (Jack Nicholson) is a misbehaved con who shirks authority and finds himself in an asylum after faking insanity to get out of work detail in prison. The vivacious troublemaker soon finds himself in a worse kind of prison – one presided over by the repressed, terrifyingly quiet Nurse Ratched (Louise Fletcher), whose set of rules and regulations are meant to suppress patients' psychotic outbursts – and their spirits. It's not long before McMurphy is reaching out to his new inmates, trying desperately to bring life to an otherwise dead atmosphere. To Ratched, however, Nicholson's rebellious attitude is as dangerous as a schizophrenic impulse. One Flew Over the Cuckoo’s Nest is brilliantly acted by an ensemble cast that includes Brad Dourif, Christopher Lloyd, Vincent Schiavelli and Danny DeVito.

Special Features:

[*] Completely Cuckoo – A feature-length documentary about the making of the film [*] Full-length commentary by director Miloš Forman and producers Michael Douglas and Saul Zaentz [*] Brand new interview with producer Michael Douglas [*] Deleted Scenes [*] Original Trailer

Awards and Honors:

In 1993, the film was deemed "culturally, historically, or aesthetically significant" by the United States Library of Congress and selected for preservation in their National Film Registry.

Academy Awards®

One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest won all of the "Big Five" Academy Awards® at the 48th Oscar® ceremony.

* Academy Award® for Best Picture — Michael Douglas, Saul Zaentz

* Academy Award® for Best Director — Miloš Forman

* Academy Award® for Best Actor — Jack Nicholson

* Academy Award® for Best Actress — Louise Fletcher

* Academy Award® for Writing Adapted Screenplay - Laurence Hauben, Bo Goldman

It was nominated for an additional four:

* Academy Award® for Best Supporting Actor — Brad Dourif

* Academy Award® for Best Cinematography — Haskell Wexler, Bill Butler

* Academy Award® for Film Editing — Richard Chew, Lyzee Klingman, Sheldon Kahn

* Academy Award® for Original Music Score — Jack Nitzshe

Golden Globes®

The film won all nominated six awards:

* Golden Globe® Award for Best Motion Picture - Drama

* Golden Globe® Award for Best Director - Motion Picture — Miloš Forman

* Golden Globe® Award for Best Actor - Motion Picture Drama — Jack Nicholson

* Golden Globe® Award for Best Actress - Motion Picture Drama — Louise Fletcher

* Golden Globe® Award for Best Screenplay — Laurence Hauben, Bo Goldman

* Golden Globe® Award for New Star of the Year - Actor — Brad Dourif

ONE FLEW OVER THE CUCKOO’S NEST

ULTIMATE COLLECTOR’S EDITION

BLU-RAY DISC AND DVD

TRT: 133 minutes

MPAA Rating: R

Screen Aspect: Widescreen

Language: English Audio, English/French/Spanish Subtitles

U.S. Street Date: September 14, 2010

Order Date: August 3, 2010

Blu-ray Mat# / UPC: 1000092090 / 883929062812

DVD Mat# / UPC: 1000091677 / 883929061334

Blu-ray Disc: $49.99 SRP

DVD $39.92 SRP

Note: All enhanced content listed above is subject to change.

Ronald J Epstein
Home Theater Forum co-owner

gallery_269895_23_10043.jpg Click Here for the latest/hottest Blu-ray Preorders gallery_269895_23_1316.jpg Click Here for our complete Blu-ray review archive

gallery_269895_23_773.jpg Click Here for our complete 3D Blu-ray review archive gallery_269895_23_992.jpgClick Here for our complete DVD review archive

gallery_269895_23_7246.jpg Click Here for Blu-Ray Preorder Release Schedule gallery_269895_23_3120.jpg Click Here for forum posting rules and regulations

#2 of 14 GMpasqua

GMpasqua

Screenwriter

• 1,423 posts

Posted May 10 2010 - 03:18 AM

Is this the first Warner Blu-ray to get a double dip other than the films released without their box sets?

#3 of 14 blimey

blimey

Extra

• 22 posts

Posted May 10 2010 - 03:22 AM

It looks like that with the adding of a new interview in the bonus feature section, the disc will not be the same as the last one. I hope they re-do the transfer and make it right this time.

EDIT: Oh, upon further examination, the new disc seems to be featuring the complete 86 min. 'Completely Cuckoo' which was on the '97 LD but got butchered on later DVD and Blu-ray discs.

#4 of 14 Brandon Conway

Brandon Conway

captveg

• 7,066 posts
  • LocationNorth Hollywood, CA

Posted May 10 2010 - 05:38 AM

I'm satisfied with the previous release. /img/vbsmilies/htf/smile.gif

"And now the reprimand, from an American critic. He reproaches me for using film as a sacred & lasting medium, like a painting or a book. He does not believe that filmmaking is an inferior art, but he believes, and quite rightly, that a reel goes quickly, that the public are looking above all for relaxation, that film is fragile and that it is pretentious to express the power of one's soul by such ephemeral and delicate means, that Charlie Chaplin's or Buster Keaton's first films can only be seen on very rare and badly spoiled prints. I add that the cinema is making daily progress and that eventually films that we consider marvelous today will soon be forgotten because of new dimensions & colour. This is true. But for 4 weeks this film [The Blood of a Poet] has been shown to audiences that have been so attentive, so eager & so warm, that I wonder after all there is not an anonymous public who are looking for more than relaxation in the cinema." - Jean Cocteau, 1932

#5 of 14 Carlo Medina

Carlo Medina

Lead Actor

• 9,545 posts

Posted May 10 2010 - 06:15 AM

Would you (or anyone) care to elaborate on what's wrong with the transfer on the first BD? Thanks!

Originally Posted by blimey 

It looks like that with the adding of a new interview in the bonus feature section, the disc will not be the same as the last one. I hope they re-do the transfer and make it right this time.

#6 of 14 Brandon Conway

Brandon Conway

captveg

• 7,066 posts
  • LocationNorth Hollywood, CA

Posted May 10 2010 - 06:23 AM

The only things I can think of are the shorter version of the documentary and no lossless audio (main audio is DD 5.1).

"And now the reprimand, from an American critic. He reproaches me for using film as a sacred & lasting medium, like a painting or a book. He does not believe that filmmaking is an inferior art, but he believes, and quite rightly, that a reel goes quickly, that the public are looking above all for relaxation, that film is fragile and that it is pretentious to express the power of one's soul by such ephemeral and delicate means, that Charlie Chaplin's or Buster Keaton's first films can only be seen on very rare and badly spoiled prints. I add that the cinema is making daily progress and that eventually films that we consider marvelous today will soon be forgotten because of new dimensions & colour. This is true. But for 4 weeks this film [The Blood of a Poet] has been shown to audiences that have been so attentive, so eager & so warm, that I wonder after all there is not an anonymous public who are looking for more than relaxation in the cinema." - Jean Cocteau, 1932

#7 of 14 Brian Borst

Brian Borst

Screenwriter

• 1,137 posts

Posted May 10 2010 - 06:49 AM

The movie itself looks fine to me on Blu-ray, so unless the transfer is really that much better, or unless the full documentary is that much better, I won't double dip (or triple dip, since I also had the DVD).

Never go out with anyone who thinks Fellini is a type of cheese

My Blu-Ray/DVD Collection

#8 of 14 oscar_merkx

oscar_merkx

Lead Actor

• 7,632 posts

Posted May 10 2010 - 08:27 AM

Love the movie, JN at his best

Toastmasters International

Communication is Everything

#9 of 14 alexAN

alexAN

Agent

• 29 posts

Posted May 12 2010 - 01:34 AM

This picture appears in a spanish site (planetahd.com)

Posted Image

#10 of 14 Bryan^H

Bryan^H

Screenwriter

• 2,571 posts

Posted May 12 2010 - 04:44 AM

Originally Posted by alexAN 

This picture appears in a spanish site (planetahd.com)

Posted Image

Awesome!

housekeeping 2.jpg

"She always does that, she just wanders away"

#11 of 14 Powell&Pressburger

Powell&Pressburger

Screenwriter

• 1,093 posts
  • LocationMPLS, MN

Posted May 12 2010 - 05:10 AM

So I take it this new edition will contain a lossless audio track, and a feature length making of Doc. The previous Blu had just DD 5.1 track and a 47min Making of Doc.

Stop the Replacing of original Studio Opening / Closing logos! They are part of film history.

Marantz SR7007
MartinLogan: ESL, Grotto i, Motif, FX2, Motion 15
Oppo BDP-103 LG BD550 Region Free 
Pioneer LD CLD-D505
Panasonic 65" TC-P65ZT60

#12 of 14 Ronald Epstein

Ronald Epstein

Studio Mogul

• 38,856 posts

Posted May 19 2010 - 10:18 AM

Posted Image

Ronald J Epstein

gallery_269895_23_10043.jpg Click Here for the latest/hottest Blu-ray Preorders gallery_269895_23_1316.jpg Click Here for our complete Blu-ray review archive

gallery_269895_23_773.jpg Click Here for our complete 3D Blu-ray review archive gallery_269895_23_992.jpgClick Here for our complete DVD review archive

gallery_269895_23_7246.jpg Click Here for Blu-Ray Preorder Release Schedule gallery_269895_23_3120.jpg Click Here for forum posting rules and regulations

#13 of 14 Robert Harris

Robert Harris

Archivist

• 7,320 posts

Posted May 19 2010 - 10:27 AM

I do love WB, but re-packaging after less than two years is getting silly.

Unless Mr. Nicholson is going to personally deliver the new release, have dinner with the new

buyer and tell really great stories throughout, this doesn't need to occur.

Sorry.

I'm waiting for the Ultimate Dr. Zhivago.

RAH

"All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find that it was vanity: but the dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible. This I did." T.E. Lawrence

#14 of 14 Ronald Epstein

Ronald Epstein

Studio Mogul

• 38,856 posts

Posted May 20 2010 - 09:02 AM

One Flew Over The Cuckoo’s Nest 35th Anniversary Ultimate Collector’s Edition has been changed from September 7, 2010 to September 14, 2010

Ronald J Epstein

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users