What's new

So You Think You Can Dance - Season 7 (1 Viewer)

Josh Dial

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Dial
Starting the thread a little early so we can discuss the format changes:

- Mary Murphy is stepping down as judge, in order to choreograph routines for the dancers. She will, however, rotate in as the third guest judge a few times.

- Mia Michaels is back.

- There will be a "Top 10" instead of a "Top 20," and instead of continuing partnerships, the dancers will change partners each week. Further, the partners will be randomly (will it be random?) chosen from an "All-star" group of 10 dancers from previous seasons. The chosen All-star's favoured dance style will be that couples' style for the week. Because of these changes, only one dancer will go hope each week.

According to Nigel, these are the All-stars, and their styles:

Allison Hoker (Jazz/Contemporary/Broadway/Cultural)

Anya Garnis (Ballroom/Latin)

Dominic Sandoval (Hip Hop/Breaking)

Lauren Gottlieb (Hip Hop/Jazz/Contemporary)

Neil Haskell (Jazz/Contemporary/Broadway/Cultural)

Pasha Kovalev (Ballroom/Latin)

Comfort Fedoke (Hip Hop/Krump)

Mark Kanemura (Jazz/Broadway/Cultural)

Twitch (Popping/Locking/Krump)

Courtney Galiano (Contemporary/Jazz)

Ade Obayomi (Contemporary/Classical)

Kathryn McCormick (Jazz/Contemporary/Broadway/Cultural)

Thoughts?

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
Hmm.. more Courtney and Kathryn ain't a bad thing.

Were they worried about blowing through too many talented dancing contestants per season and dropped it down to 10 finalists?

Mikah Cerucco

Senior HTF Member
I wouldn't have minded seeing Will return.

I'm glad Mia's back, though you didn't say whether it was as judge, choreographer, or both. I haven't watched the fall season yet, and I don't remember from reading the thread if/how Mia participated. IMO, she can be replaced as a judge, but not as a choreographer.

Hanson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Hanson
Alison and Kathryn are two of my favorites -- too bad Chelsie is on DWTS. Alison, Kathryn and Chelsie would have been total victory. Of hotness.

Chris Lockwood

Senior HTF Member
Originally Posted by Josh Dial

- Mary Murphy is stepping down as judge, in order to choreograph routines for the dancers. She will, however, rotate in as the third guest judge a few times.

That's the best news of the season.

Josh Dial

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Dial
Just a reminder that season 7 of SYTYCD begins on the 27th (thursday). Hopefully this season, changes and all, can wash away the bad taste that was American Idol.

Hanson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Hanson
Originally Posted by Josh Dial

Just a reminder that season 7 of SYTYCD begins on the 27th (thursday). Hopefully this season, changes and all, can wash away the bad taste that was American Idol.

Don't forget the bad taste of SYTYCD season 6. Worst. Winner. Ever.

Josh Dial

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Dial
Originally Posted by Hanson Yoo

Don't forget the bad taste of SYTYCD season 6. Worst. Winner. Ever.

Definitely the worst winner ever in the show's history. I still liked (but not loved) the season overall, though, but it wasn't the best by far. Having it so close to season 5 was just stupid.

Hanson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Hanson
You don't remember the "UNTRAINED KRUMPER!" who had been attending the Boston Arts Academy and training in dance before auditioning for SYTYCD? And he still wasn't that great? The guy who "showed so much personality" even though he had zero personality and barely spoke?

Parker Clack

Schizophrenic Man
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Parker
I will Patrick. I can't remember who won last time.

Personally I didn't like the new stage either and the way the camera showed off the dancers. It was like I was setting front row in the far right hand seat all the time. I like the old stage with the camera either stage right or center.

I really look forward to this.

Josh Dial

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Dial
Originally Posted by Parker Clack

I will Patrick. I can't remember who won last time.

Personally I didn't like the new stage either and the way the camera showed off the dancers. It was like I was setting front row in the far right hand seat all the time. I like the old stage with the camera either stage right or center.

I really look forward to this.

I also didn't really like the stage--especially the stage for the finale, which was terrible. The lighting, however, was great; I hope the same tech crew is around.

Hanson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Hanson
FYI, auditions start tonight and continue Wed & Thurs thereafter. I almost didn't set my DVR in time because I didn't expect it to start so hot on the heels of the Idol finale.

Josh Dial

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Dial
Heading up to my parents' to visit for the weekend, so we won't get a chance to watch the first audition episode until sunday. My ears are still ringing from the Idol finale, so this break should give me time to recuperate.

One thing I wish they would do for the audition/vegas rounds is display the name of the song and artist for every piece of music. There are usually a few really cool, but obscure, pieces of music dancers bring out, and I have spend way too long finding them.

gregstaten

Supporting Actor
Yeah, if only Fox had promoted it more.

Huh? Fox promoted the hell out of it and not just during American Idol. And apparently the promotion worked as the overnights show it winning the night handily and growing in audience every half hour.

IMO good start to the new season.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
thinksinc
Recent bookmarks