Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

Blu-ray player vs. PS3

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
27 replies to this topic

#1 of 28 OFFLINE   jheiser

jheiser

Agent

• 27 posts

Posted May 07 2010 - 03:24 AM

Hello,

For the price of a blu-ray player today, you can practically buy a PS3. Is there any differences in there capabilities? Would I be better off purchasing a decent blu-ray player or a PS3?

#2 of 28 OFFLINE   Astrakan

Astrakan

Auditioning

• 7 posts

Posted May 07 2010 - 04:07 AM

Depends on your needs. The consensus is that the picture quality on Blu-ray playback is very similar across the entire spectrum of Blu-ray players. It's when you start considering other things that it gets a little more complicated.

- Is DVD picture quality a concern? 
- Does your receiver have HDMI, or do you plan on using analog outs for lossless audio? 
- Do you plan on importing any Blu-rays or DVDs from other regions? 
- Do you want media centre capabilities? What about gaming?

I'm sure there's other concerns too, but these are what would be of specific note to me.

In terms of the first three you should know the DVD upconversion on the PS3 isn't the best, and it does not have analog outs, nor can it (at present) be modded to be region free for Blu-ray or DVD playback.

On the other hand, if media centre capabilities and gaming are high on your list of important features, the PS3 is the King of the Hill in those areas among Blu-ray players.

#3 of 28 OFFLINE   John Garcia

John Garcia

Executive Producer

• 11,547 posts
  • LocationNorCal

Posted May 07 2010 - 05:10 AM

When the PS3 first came out it was considered one of the better Blu-ray players on the market.  It also had the ability to be updated very quickly for disc issues because it has web access.  Today, many players that cost less than the PS3 are equally as good at playback and are well supported with firmware as well as being able to update said firmware via the web.  The PS3 is still a better unit hardware wise than most BD players out there, but not all of that capability is going towards movie playback. 

Analog vs HDMI for audio is a very good point to bring up because the PS3 does not have multichannel analog outs.  Another common "complaint" is the fact that it is bluetooth only, no IR, however there is a bluetooth to IR adapter from Harmony that works with most major remotes.  I bought a PS3 early on for BD movies, but I have since stopped watching movies on it and use it exclusively for gaming.

HT: Emotiva UMC-200, Emotiva XPA-3, Carnegie Acoustics CSB-1s + CSC-1, GR Research A/V-1s, Epik Empire, Oppo BDP-105, PS4, PS3,URC R-50, APC-H10, Panamax 5100 Bluejeans Cable
System Two: Marantz PM7200, Pioneer FS52s, Panasonic BD79
(stolen) : Marantz SR-8300, GR Research A/V-2s, Sony SCD-222ES SACD, Panasonic BD-65, PS3 60G (250G)

Everybody is a genius, but if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it’ll spend its whole life believing that it is stupid.” – Albert Einstein

#4 of 28 OFFLINE   lvicious

lvicious

Stunt Coordinator

• 92 posts
  • LocationTexas

Posted May 07 2010 - 06:10 AM

If you do buy a ps3 this bluray youtube vid helps to properly set it up.  At least 1 display option has been modified by Sony on your ps3 since then due to various updates in regards to Bitstream.

'You see, god and I have a very special relationship: I don't do stupid things, he doesn't kill me."

#5 of 28 OFFLINE   Jim Mcc

Jim Mcc

Producer

• 3,710 posts
  • LocationOconomowoc, WI.

Posted May 07 2010 - 06:32 AM

I have to disagree with this. Isn't the PS3 still $299? You can buy a damn nice player for less than half that. But again, it depends on the features needed. I paid $145 for my Pan. BD65, and that included Avatar on Blu-ray.
Quote:
Originally Posted by jheiser 

Hello,

For the price of a blu-ray player today, you can practically buy a PS3. Is there any differences in there capabilities? Would I be better off purchasing a decent blu-ray player or a PS3?

#6 of 28 OFFLINE   dpippel

dpippel

Producer

• 3,232 posts

Posted May 07 2010 - 08:14 AM

There are more affordable options than the PS3 if you're JUST looking for Blu-ray and DVD playback. As someone else mentioned, in addition to Blu-ray performance the area the PS3 really shines in is as a networked media center. There are many options available for streaming audio and video to it from a local computer and the internet. In addition it still boasts just about the fastest disc loading times of any Blu-ray playback device on the market, and Sony does issue regular firmware updates (which can be good and bad). There are some drawbacks as well, such as no IR remote capability without an add-on device, but IMO the benefits far outweigh the compromises. Even though it does retail for $300, if you're looking for what the PS3 offers the bang-for-the-buck ratio is very high. Oh, and it's a game console too.  I love mine.

Careful man, there's a beverage here!

#7 of 28 OFFLINE   John Garcia

John Garcia

Executive Producer

• 11,547 posts
  • LocationNorCal

Posted May 07 2010 - 10:59 AM

Originally Posted by dpippel 

There are more affordable options than the PS3 if you're JUST looking for Blu-ray and DVD playback. As someone else mentioned, in addition to Blu-ray performance the area the PS3 really shines in is as a networked media center. There are many options available for streaming audio and video to it from a local computer and the internet. In addition it still boasts just about the fastest disc loading times of any Blu-ray playback device on the market, and Sony does issue regular firmware updates (which can be good and bad). There are some drawbacks as well, such as no IR remote capability without an add-on device, but IMO the benefits far outweigh the compromises. Even though it does retail for $300, if you're looking for what the PS3 offers the bang-for-the-buck ratio is very high. Oh, and it's a game console too. /img/vbsmilies/htf/smiley_wink.gif I love mine.

There was an article on another forum the other day that said that the new Sony S570 is now the fastest loading player available(via CNET); even faster than the Oppo BDP-83.  That means it must be REALLY fast because my Oppo is already a lot faster than my PS3s.  The PS3 slim came in last place in their comparison, which I'd have to guess means they either counted power up time or the new players are getting that much faster.  If you are going to game at all, then the PS3 is a no brainer though.

HT: Emotiva UMC-200, Emotiva XPA-3, Carnegie Acoustics CSB-1s + CSC-1, GR Research A/V-1s, Epik Empire, Oppo BDP-105, PS4, PS3,URC R-50, APC-H10, Panamax 5100 Bluejeans Cable
System Two: Marantz PM7200, Pioneer FS52s, Panasonic BD79
(stolen) : Marantz SR-8300, GR Research A/V-2s, Sony SCD-222ES SACD, Panasonic BD-65, PS3 60G (250G)

Everybody is a genius, but if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it’ll spend its whole life believing that it is stupid.” – Albert Einstein

#8 of 28 OFFLINE   TheBat

TheBat

Producer

• 3,017 posts

Posted May 07 2010 - 11:16 AM

I started off with the ps3. it was the 80 gb. I then went to stand alone player and got the panasonic 30 and then went from the 60 to the 80. I did play around with some other players and then got the oppo 83. I then sold my ps3. I hardly played any games. I do plan to get a ps3 slim down the road. I want to be able to use the bitstream.

the oppo 83 is one awesome player.

Jacob

#9 of 28 OFFLINE   jheiser

jheiser

Agent

• 27 posts

Posted May 07 2010 - 02:40 PM

I'm not a huge gaming guy as I don't even own a console.  However, I used to own many consoles and played quite a bit.  I would use the PS3 for games as well however I won't be playing everyday.  I just don't really see the point in paying $250 for just a Blu-ray player when I could spend an extra $50 and have games and access to the Internet.  However if the definition is compromised then I'd rather invest in a Blu-ray player.

#10 of 28 OFFLINE   jheiser

jheiser

Agent

• 27 posts

Posted May 07 2010 - 02:49 PM

The use will be mostly for High def movies.  I ordered my new AVR today (Onkyo 876) so I will have HDMI inputs to run the PS3 to or a Blu-ray.  I have some time to think about this as my SVS speakers won't ship out till June 14.  I am using a HD projector and a 32" LCD tv.  (The TV will be used so I don't blow out the lamp quick and the projector mostly for movies).  Thanks a lot for all the advice.

#11 of 28 OFFLINE   lvicious

lvicious

Stunt Coordinator

• 92 posts
  • LocationTexas

Posted May 07 2010 - 03:00 PM

I'm in the same boat except I have my slim ps3 and my old fatty ps3 already.  Denon 4810 on the way and my SVS also are on backorder till June but like tonight I am watching the Halo Legends on bluray via ps3 and as far as I am concerned it looks just fine and even with my old sony receiver via optical 5.1 old speakers it sounds very nice.

I game alot though and with Socom 4 coming out this year and FF14 and eventually some 3D content I would never give up my ps3.

'You see, god and I have a very special relationship: I don't do stupid things, he doesn't kill me."

#12 of 28 OFFLINE   jheiser

jheiser

Agent

• 27 posts

Posted May 07 2010 - 03:42 PM

Congrats on your new system!! I can't wait to get the SVS speakers! The only downside I see as of now is the remote control fact of the PS3.  I need to be able to control everything by a single IR controller that I plan to mount by the center channel.

#13 of 28 OFFLINE   dpippel

dpippel

Producer

• 3,232 posts

Posted May 08 2010 - 04:30 AM

Originally Posted by John Garcia 

There was an article on another forum the other day that said that the new Sony S570 is now the fastest loading player available(via CNET); even faster than the Oppo BDP-83.  That means it must be REALLY fast because my Oppo is already a lot faster than my PS3s.  The PS3 slim came in last place in their comparison, which I'd have to guess means they either counted power up time or the new players are getting that much faster.  If you are going to game at all, then the PS3 is a no brainer though.

I did say "just about". /img/vbsmilies/htf/smiley_wink.gif

Careful man, there's a beverage here!

#14 of 28 OFFLINE   lvicious

lvicious

Stunt Coordinator

• 92 posts
  • LocationTexas

Posted May 08 2010 - 04:59 AM

Originally Posted by jheiser 

Congrats on your new system!! I can't wait to get the SVS speakers! The only downside I see as of now is the remote control fact of the PS3.  I need to be able to control everything by a single IR controller that I plan to mount by the center channel.

Well I have my Harmony remote and the adapter for ps3 so it's good to go:

http://www.logitech....es/devices/5732

#15 of 28 OFFLINE   Phil Carter

Phil Carter

Second Unit

• 324 posts
  • LocationAustin, TX

Posted May 11 2010 - 12:40 AM

James: Make sure that you get one of the slim PS3s if you plan on using the "Bitstream" option to send audio from the PS3 to your receiver. The "fat" PS3s will only support Dolby TrueHD and DTS-MA over PCM and will only send the basic DD and DTS cores over bitstream.

"I should never have written all of those tank programs."
-- Kevin Flynn, "Tron"
** My DVD / Blu-Ray collection; profile by DVD Profiler **

#16 of 28 OFFLINE   viperz

viperz

Auditioning

• 2 posts

Posted May 18 2010 - 05:20 AM

Saw the link to this thread in the e-mail distribution...

You all make great points, and obviously to each person is his own...

For me, the PS3 was a huge upgrade from Sony BDP-S550 blu-ray player / XBox 360 combination. I do not play games, but I needed a good media player (360 did not cut it at all due to poor codec support). As a blu-ray player and media center combo, I could not find a better price/quality/performance deal than PS3.

The only negative is (as already mentioned) lack of IR remote support. I have Harmony 890 IR/RF remote, and had to get a $60 adapter for Harmony. The adapter works like a charm, every function is fully supported on Harmony remote now, but the price was pretty steep for simple IR to BT converter box.

Oppo 83/83SE may have a better overall package (SACD support, analog outputs, slightly better image quality or at least more adjustments), but I cannot justify a cost of that player to be added to my HT. If you compare PS3 price to a basic blu-ray player, it may be $300 to $150, so 2:1, then to upgrade to Oppo, that's another $300 to $500+ jump, which is quite significant. Yes, you may get the best blu-ray player available, but is it the best bang for your buck?

#17 of 28 OFFLINE   TheBat

TheBat

Producer

• 3,017 posts

Posted May 18 2010 - 11:57 AM

I bought the ps3 80 gb. it was like 650 or so. the oppo 83 was cheaper.. to answer your question about the oppo: viperz.

everything you hear about the oppo is true.. truly the best player out there. its worth every penny.

#18 of 28 OFFLINE   Brandon3212

Brandon3212

Agent

• 43 posts

Posted May 19 2010 - 04:35 AM

I use my PS3 for bluray and i love it, always works great.

#19 of 28 OFFLINE   WinstonCely

WinstonCely

Stunt Coordinator

• 237 posts

Posted May 21 2010 - 01:13 AM

Before my PS3 was stolen, I used it in conjunction with a Panasonic Plasma (46" THX certified model before it was stolen as well) and it was terrific.  I had the HDMI going into my Denon receiver and that to the TV, so up-converting was handled by the Denon.  Looked beautiful!

Personally, I feel the PS3 is the way to go because of it's media center possibilities.  I use Mac's exclusively (work and play) and was able to use them in conjunction with the PS3 and it was a dream.

Also, I do game a bit, more often for parties and such, so that was another mark in favor of getting the PS3.

My wife and I have the money saved up to buy another PS3 (this time the slim) and can't wait to do so.

#20 of 28 OFFLINE   Todd Erwin

Todd Erwin

Screenwriter

• 2,272 posts
  • LocationOrange County, CA

Posted May 21 2010 - 05:44 AM

I have a sneaky suspicion that Sony will unveil a new version of the PS3 Slim next month at E3, since the current models are so hard to come by because Sony is shipping so few to stores.