Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
DVD Reviews

HTF DVD REVIEW: Stagecoach (Criterion Edition)

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
10 replies to this topic

#1 of 11 OFFLINE   Matt Hough

Matt Hough

Executive Producer

• 12,034 posts
  • LocationCharlotte, NC

Posted May 06 2010 - 02:28 PM

#2 of 11 OFFLINE   Dave B Ferris

Dave B Ferris

Supporting Actor

• 811 posts

Posted May 07 2010 - 04:33 AM

Excellent review.

One suggested edit:  I think Red River is an iconic western (instead of ironic western).

Also, one question:  is the British interviewer's last name 'Jenkins'?  If so, then this must be the same supplement that is on a German release of 'She Wore a Yellow Ribbon', which was widely praised by John Hodson and some of our other overseas members.

#3 of 11 OFFLINE   Richard--W

Richard--W

Producer

• 3,527 posts

Posted May 07 2010 - 05:12 AM

A most welcome release.

Isn't this the same transfer as Warner Brothers 2-disc DVD, now discontinued?

#4 of 11 OFFLINE   Matt Hough

Matt Hough

Executive Producer

• 12,034 posts
  • LocationCharlotte, NC

Posted May 07 2010 - 08:40 AM

Originally Posted by Dave B Ferris 

Excellent review.

One suggested edit:  I think Red River is an iconic western (instead of ironic western).

Also, one question:  is the British interviewer's last name 'Jenkins'?  If so, then this must be the same supplement that is on a German release of 'She Wore a Yellow Ribbon', which was widely praised by John Hodson and some of our other overseas members.

Thanks for catching that typo. [sigh] No matter how many times one proofreads, he invariably misses something.

The interviewer's name is Philip Jenkinson.

#5 of 11 OFFLINE   Dave B Ferris

Dave B Ferris

Supporting Actor

• 811 posts

Posted May 07 2010 - 08:59 AM

Originally Posted by MattH. ">

Thanks for catching that typo. [sigh] No matter how many times one proofreads, he invariably misses something.

The interviewer's name is Philip Jenkinson.

Fair enough; I had my own problem, omitting the last three characters of the interviewer's last name.  You're having trouble with your proofing, and I'm having trouble with my memory.<br /></span>
<br />
But I <em class='bbc'>do</em> remember that John Hodson, and several others, spoke (or wrote) very highly about this interview, so I'm really excited that it has been included on this Criterion release.<br />

<br />

</div>

<ul id='postControlsNormal_3578782' class='post_controls clear clearfix' >
					<li class='top hide'><a href='#ipboard_body' class='top' title='Back to top'>Back to top</a></li>

</ul>

</div>
		</div>
	</div>

<hr />

<script type= var pid = parseInt(3578782); if ( pid > ipb.topic.topPid ){ ipb.topic.topPid = pid; } // Show multiquote for JS browsers if ( $('multiq_3578782') ) { $('multiq_3578782').show(); } if( $('toggle_post_3578782') ) { $('toggle_post_3578782').show(); } // Add perm data ipb.topic.deletePerms[3578782] = { 'canDelete' : 0, 'canSoftDelete' : 0 };

#6 of 11 OFFLINE   Jeff Newcomb

Jeff Newcomb

Second Unit

• 279 posts

Posted May 07 2010 - 02:58 PM

Originally Posted by Richard--W 

Isn't this the same transfer as Warner Brothers 2-disc DVD, now discontinued?

No, it's brand new.  It doesn't even use the same source elements.

#7 of 11 OFFLINE   Richard--W

Richard--W

Producer

• 3,527 posts

Posted May 07 2010 - 06:05 PM

Originally Posted by Jeff Newcomb 

No, it's brand new.  It doesn't even use the same source elements.

Thanks.

Do explicate.

#8 of 11 OFFLINE   Matt Hough

Matt Hough

Executive Producer

• 12,034 posts
  • LocationCharlotte, NC

Posted May 08 2010 - 02:12 AM

Originally Posted by Richard--W 

Thanks.

Do explicate.

The enclosed booklet explains that the primary source used for their new high definition transfer is a 1942 nitrate duplicate negative which they further cleaned and spruced up without leaving behind obvious signs of their own remastering (which accoounts for lingering scratches and other artifacts).

#9 of 11 OFFLINE   Rodney

Rodney

Supporting Actor

• 550 posts

Posted May 08 2010 - 05:33 AM

Must buy for me, though I do wish Criterion would stop windowboxing the films.
-Rodney

#10 of 11 OFFLINE   oscar_merkx

oscar_merkx

Lead Actor

• 7,632 posts

Posted May 10 2010 - 10:02 AM

Originally Posted by Dave B Ferris [url=/forum/thread/300413/htf-dvd-review-stagecoach-criterion-edition#post_3688801]

But I do remember that John Hodson, and several others, spoke (or wrote) very highly about this interview, so I'm really excited that it has been included on this Criterion release.

That's why I love these non US / UK releases, best interview ever from the 60s so far

Great to see that Criterion are releasing it

Toastmasters International

Communication is Everything

#11 of 11 OFFLINE   John Hodson

John Hodson

Producer

• 4,470 posts
  • LocationBolton, Lancashire

Posted May 10 2010 - 11:18 PM

Originally Posted by Dave B Ferris 

Excellent review.

It's a hoot. It was first broadcast as My Name Is John Ford; I Make Westerns as a half-hour interview in '68, Tag Gallagher quotes extensively from it and excerpts have been used in various other documentaries down the years, but this is practically the whole thing unedited/uncut, curmudgeonly insults, rough edges and all. I expect Jenkinson loved it - unimissable.

BTW, I always liked Jenkinson, part of my movie education. He was pretty chuffed to be immortalised by Monty Python!

So many films, so little time...
Film Journal Blog
Lt. Col. Thursday: Beaufort; no preliminary nonsense with him, no ceremonial phrasing. Straight from the shoulder as I tell you, do you hear me? They're recalcitrant swine and they must feel it...