What's new

Emotovia UPA-5 Amp Question (1 Viewer)

Real Name
Charlie Etzel
Hi I just purchased the UPA-5 as the first part to upgrading my system. My next purchase will be the UMC-1, in the meantime I have an old Sony reciever STR-DE 935, is there any way I can hook up my amp to this reciever so I can hear how the amp sounds,the reciever has a 2nd audio out connection but I am thinking that I will not be able to contrl volume if I hook the amp up this way to the reciever. I plan on purchasing the UMC-1 in the next few weeks along with one of Emotovia's subs. But meanwhile I would like to see if I can use the amp in any way with my reciever ? Charlie

Ed Moxley

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ed
Amps connect to a receiver's "Pre-Outs". Your receiver doesn't have Pre-Outs, so I don't think you can connect it. Sorry. Maybe someone knows a way that I don't.
Good luck.........

John Brill

Supporting Actor
Real Name
John
You can get a "Speaker to Line Level Converter". Depending on the cost, it might be cheaper to upgrade the receiver to one that has pre-outs.

Real Name
Charlie Etzel
Thanks for the information, I am looking for the chepest way I can if possible to use the amp until I order the UMC-1. Will a line level converter work and about how much do they run.

John Garcia

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
Yes, a line level converter will work but you will need one for EACH of the 5 channels. They can be found from very inexpensive to expensive; expensive being $65 for one channel and inexpensive being maybe $8-10. I would simply wait until you get the UMC-1.

Real Name
Charlie Etzel
Thanks, I think it will be better to wait as well, don't want to risk screwing up the Amp, just hate having it and not knowing how much better it will make my system sound compared to my old Sony reciever. I am trying to finish my basement at the same time so money is a little tight now. Thanks

Users who are viewing this thread