What's new

Do I have My Crossover Settings Right On My Receiver? (1 Viewer)

robert88

Auditioning
Real Name
Mark
I have a 6.1 satellite home theatre system. The center speaker has 4 3-5/8" woofers with a 7/8" tweeter. The fronts and surrounds have 2 3-5/8" woofers with a 7/8" tweeter. All speakers have a response of 80Hz-20kHz. I am using a 12" sub that has a response of 30 Hz to 180 Hz. On the subwoofer i have the LFE switch turned to on allowing my receiver to be in full control of the crossover frequency on my speakers and the upper bass output on my subwoofer. I have the crossover knob on the back of the sub turned all the way up to 180 Hz. My speakers are set to small on my receiver. I have the crossover frequency set at 80 Hz for all my speakers and the subwoofer LFE high cut is set at 100 Hz.

gene c

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gene
80 might be a bit low for spekers with smaller drivers. I'd set the crossover to at least 100. 120 might be even better. I like to set the crossover a little higher than what the listed frequency response is just to be on the safe side. These speaker ratings are usually a bit optomistic. Best thing to do is try different settings and see which sounds best to you. But I think the high-pass should be set at 120 regardless of what the crossover is set at.

robert88

Auditioning
Real Name
Mark
Originally Posted by gene c

80 might be a bit low for spekers with smaller drivers. I'd set the crossover to at least 100. 120 might be even better. I like to set the crossover a little higher than what the listed frequency response is just to be on the safe side. These speaker ratings are usually a bit optomistic. Best thing to do is try different settings and see which sounds best to you. But I think the high-pass should be set at 120 regardless of what the crossover is set at.

I am going to raise the speakers to 100hz and try it out. Should i keep the cut off frequency of the LFE channel set at 100Hz?

gene c

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gene
I don't know much about the high-pass filter (or cut-off as you describe it) but I would set it to 120. I bet none of these settings are completely accurate so I like to have a little over-lap just to be safe.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks