Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

Do I have My Crossover Settings Right On My Receiver?

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 of 4 OFFLINE   robert88

robert88

Auditioning

• 7 posts

Posted May 04 2010 - 07:40 AM

I have a 6.1 satellite home theatre system. The center speaker has 4 3-5/8" woofers with a 7/8" tweeter. The fronts and surrounds have 2 3-5/8" woofers with a 7/8" tweeter. All speakers have a response of 80Hz-20kHz. I am using a 12" sub that has a response of 30 Hz to 180 Hz. On the subwoofer i have the LFE switch turned to on allowing my receiver to be in full control of the crossover frequency on my speakers and the upper bass output on my subwoofer. I have the crossover knob on the back of the sub turned all the way up to 180 Hz. My speakers are set to small on my receiver. I have the crossover frequency set at 80 Hz for all my speakers and the subwoofer LFE high cut is set at 100 Hz.

#2 of 4 OFFLINE   gene c

gene c

Producer

• 5,787 posts
  • LocationBay area, Ca

Posted May 04 2010 - 09:33 AM

80 might be a bit low for spekers with smaller drivers. I'd set the crossover to at least 100. 120 might be even better. I like to set the crossover a little higher than what the listed frequency response is just to be on the safe side. These speaker ratings are usually a bit optomistic. Best thing to do is try different settings and see which sounds best to you. But I think the high-pass should be set at 120 regardless of what the crossover is set at.
"Everyday room": Panasonic 58" Plasma, Dish HD DVR, Pioneer Elite vsx-23, BDP-23 BR, dv58avi universal dvd player, Paradigm Studio 20 V1, CC-450, Dayton HSU-10 subwoofer.

"Movie/Music room": Toshiba 65" DLP, Dish HD receiver, Marantz 7005, CC-4003, BD-7006, Polk LSI25's-LSi7's-LSiC, 2 original Dayton 10" "Mighty-Mites" subwoofers. (subject to change without notice).

Also have  MB Quart Vera VS05 +.....too much to list. Help me.

#3 of 4 OFFLINE   robert88

robert88

Auditioning

• 7 posts

Posted May 04 2010 - 09:53 AM

Originally Posted by gene c 

80 might be a bit low for spekers with smaller drivers. I'd set the crossover to at least 100. 120 might be even better. I like to set the crossover a little higher than what the listed frequency response is just to be on the safe side. These speaker ratings are usually a bit optomistic. Best thing to do is try different settings and see which sounds best to you. But I think the high-pass should be set at 120 regardless of what the crossover is set at.
I am going to raise the speakers to 100hz and try it out. Should i keep the cut off frequency of the LFE channel set at 100Hz?

#4 of 4 OFFLINE   gene c

gene c

Producer

• 5,787 posts
  • LocationBay area, Ca

Posted May 04 2010 - 12:33 PM

I don't know much about the high-pass filter (or cut-off as you describe it) but I would set it to 120. I bet none of these settings are completely accurate so I like to have a little over-lap just to be safe.
"Everyday room": Panasonic 58" Plasma, Dish HD DVR, Pioneer Elite vsx-23, BDP-23 BR, dv58avi universal dvd player, Paradigm Studio 20 V1, CC-450, Dayton HSU-10 subwoofer.

"Movie/Music room": Toshiba 65" DLP, Dish HD receiver, Marantz 7005, CC-4003, BD-7006, Polk LSI25's-LSi7's-LSiC, 2 original Dayton 10" "Mighty-Mites" subwoofers. (subject to change without notice).

Also have  MB Quart Vera VS05 +.....too much to list. Help me.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users