Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
Blu-ray Reviews

HTF BLU-RAY REVIEW: Saving Private Ryan (Sapphire Series) - Highly Recommended

TV Reviews

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
54 replies to this topic

#1 of 55 OFFLINE   Neil Middlemiss

Neil Middlemiss

Screenwriter

• 2,934 posts

Posted May 02 2010 - 01:59 PM

"Equipped with his five senses, man explores the universe around him and calls the adventure Science" – Edwin Hubble
My DVD Collection

#2 of 55 OFFLINE   Mike Frezon

Mike Frezon

Studio Mogul

• 31,592 posts
  • LocationRensselaer, NY

Posted May 02 2010 - 02:56 PM

Yeah, baby!

Awesome review, Neil.  Thanks!

This is one of those titles I think we all knew would be one of the landmarks of high-definition home theater.

There's Jessie the yodeling cowgirl. Bullseye, he's Woody's horse. Pete the old prospector. And, Woody, the man himself.Of course, it's time for Woody's RoundUp. He's the very best! He's the rootinest, tootinest cowboy in the wild, wild west!

HTF Rules | HTF Mission Statement | Father of the Bride

Dieting with my Dog & Heart to Heart/Hand in Paw by Peggy Frezon

#3 of 55 OFFLINE   AaronMK

AaronMK

Supporting Actor

• 768 posts
  • LocationOrlando, FL

Posted May 02 2010 - 08:16 PM

For some reason, I really don't consider The Bridge on the River Kwai to be a war film, even though it takes place during WW II in a POW camp, and has plot line with soldiers going on a mission to destroy the bridge with a battle at the end.  It might be because other themes and plot elements were given stronger focus, like how the stubbornness of the two colonels clashes, or how people can become so absorbed in the task at hand that they forget their roles in the greater scheme of things.

Or maybe Kwai is still a war movie in the strictest sense, but when I saw Saving Private Ryan, it brought me into the battles with such force and gruesome reality, that Kwai no longer seems like a war movie in comparison.

Anyway, thanks for the review Neil.  That is as good and insightful of an analysis of the film as any I have seen, and it sounds like the blu-ray presentation is top notch!

(Now, where is The Bridge on the River Kwai on blu-ray? )

#4 of 55 OFFLINE   Phil Carter

Phil Carter

Second Unit

• 324 posts
  • LocationAustin, TX

Posted May 03 2010 - 12:32 AM

If I weren't already solidly in the "buy" camp, this well-written and considered review would definitely sway me there. Nicely done, Neil! Looking forward to when my copy arrives.

"I should never have written all of those tank programs."
-- Kevin Flynn, "Tron"
** My DVD / Blu-Ray collection; profile by DVD Profiler **

#5 of 55 OFFLINE   Frank Ha

Frank Ha

Second Unit

• 355 posts
  • LocationLand of mole, tlayudas and chapulines

Posted May 03 2010 - 01:56 AM

Wow!  That was a great review.  I wasn't going to get this right a way, but after reading your review I'll be getting it sooner rather than later.  Thanks, Neil.

"And in the end, the only thing you really own is... your story.  Just trying to live a good one" - The Drover 

#6 of 55 OFFLINE   Brett_M

Brett_M

Screenwriter

• 1,364 posts
  • LocationMos Eisley Spaceport

Posted May 03 2010 - 03:41 AM

Great review -- made me use my birthday gift card to order from Borders.com.
Many Shubs and Zuuls knew what it meant to roast in the depths of the Sloar that day I can tell you.

#7 of 55 OFFLINE   Scott Merryfield

Scott Merryfield

Executive Producer

• 10,892 posts
  • LocationMichigan

Posted May 03 2010 - 04:28 AM

Terrific review, Neil.  This was on my "must buy" list unless Paramount did a "Gladiator" on the transfer, so it's nice to read this transfer is top notch. This great film deserves such treatment.

#8 of 55 OFFLINE   Robert Crawford

Robert Crawford

• 25,785 posts
  • LocationMichigan

Posted May 03 2010 - 04:34 AM

This title is on sale for 19.99 at BB and Amazon will probably price match in the near future.

Crawdaddy

Crawdaddy

Blu-ray Preorder Listing

#9 of 55 OFFLINE   Prentice Cotham

Prentice Cotham

Supporting Actor

• 769 posts

Posted May 03 2010 - 06:11 AM

Looks like this release is plagued with the lip synch issue that the UK release has.  The blu-ray.com mentions the lip synch issue.  It seems to be player/receiver/etc dependent (possibly) as some notice it and some can't help but not notice it.  It's very disheartening to hear the release is botched in the manner.
Xbox Gamertag: badlieut

#10 of 55 OFFLINE   Neil Middlemiss

Neil Middlemiss

Screenwriter

• 2,934 posts

Posted May 03 2010 - 06:25 AM

No such issues exist on the disc I reviewed

nor in the disc Robert Harris viewed in the thread below:

http://www.hometheat...ryan-in-blu-ray

nor in the DVDBeaver review:

http://www.dvdbeaver...privateryan.htm

nor in the HighDefDiscNews review: 

http://www.highdefdi...ws.com/?p=42708I would be cautious of accepting such worries - or proclaiming this a 'botched release' when it is unsubstantiated.
"Equipped with his five senses, man explores the universe around him and calls the adventure Science" – Edwin Hubble
My DVD Collection

#11 of 55 OFFLINE   TravisR

TravisR

Studio Mogul

• 23,031 posts
  • LocationThe basement of the FBI building

Posted May 03 2010 - 06:27 AM

Originally Posted by Neil Middlemiss 

I would be cautious of accepting such worries - or proclaiming this a 'botched release' when it is unsubstantiated.

If it's on the internet, it's true.

#12 of 55 OFFLINE   Prentice Cotham

Prentice Cotham

Supporting Actor

• 769 posts

Posted May 03 2010 - 07:06 AM

I would be cautious of accepting such worries - or proclaiming this a 'botched release' when it is unsubstantiated.

Hi Neil,

I was reacting more to the UK release which is definitely botched as there are multiple user accounts of lip synching issues even with the PS3.  I'm assuming that the UK and the US discs are the same transfer.  When the bd.com review mentioned he experienced the synch issue, then this is confirming my assumption (in my mind at least) and I do think it is something others should be aware of.  I will take back my botched comment until more user accounts roll in.  Mine is shipping from Amazon so it's not like I can cancel it now.

Like I said before, it appears to be player/receiver dependent so it's possible that it was minimal/non-existent on your set-up.  

From the blu-ray.com review:

Quote:
If there's a misstep in the track, there appears to be a slight lip synch issue before the battle of Ramelle, found around the 2:06 mark in the film as a character shares a story about one of his brothers' girlfriends and their encounter in a barn. The effect was blatantly obvious when viewing the film with a combination of a Panasonic DMP-BDT300 Blu-ray player and Denon AVR-3808 audio receiver connected via HDMI (with the audio stream sent through a separate HDMI cable from the video stream), but seemed to be less of an issue when the Denon was paired with a PlayStation 3, also connected via HDMI.

According to one UK user, Paramount is aware of the problem and will issue replacements when rectified.   

Xbox Gamertag: badlieut

#13 of 55 OFFLINE   Robert Crawford

Robert Crawford

• 25,785 posts
  • LocationMichigan

Posted May 03 2010 - 08:14 AM

It sounds like it's a disc issue and not a transfer one.  

Crawdaddy

Blu-ray Preorder Listing

#14 of 55 OFFLINE   Aaron Silverman

Aaron Silverman

Lead Actor

• 9,906 posts
  • LocationFlorida

Posted May 04 2010 - 06:17 AM

Is the lip sync issue just one speech, or does it occur throughout the film?

I wasn't planning on upgrading, but the extras on this disc are intriguing (I only have the original DTS DVD).

"How wonderful it will be to have a leader unburdened by the twin horrors of knowledge and experience." -- Mr. Wick

#15 of 55 OFFLINE   Carlo Medina

Carlo Medina

Executive Producer

• 10,006 posts

Posted May 04 2010 - 07:07 AM

I'm curious about the problem as well: one scene or the whole film? As someone who suffered through it for the Moulin Rouge DVD, once you see the sync problem, you can't "unsee" it.

Originally Posted by Aaron Silverman 

Is the lip sync issue just one speech, or does it occur throughout the film?

I wasn't planning on upgrading, but the extras on this disc are intriguing (I only have the original DTS DVD).

XBox Live: TheL1brarian (let's play Destiny on XB1)

#16 of 55 OFFLINE   Robert Crawford

Robert Crawford

• 25,785 posts
  • LocationMichigan

Posted May 04 2010 - 09:43 AM

Amazon is selling this release for 19.99 now. Crawdaddy

Crawdaddy

Blu-ray Preorder Listing

#17 of 55 OFFLINE   Neil Middlemiss

Neil Middlemiss

Screenwriter

• 2,934 posts

Posted May 04 2010 - 12:00 PM

I reviewed the scene in question (for potential lip-sync issues) and there are no such issues present. The audio is perfectly synched throughout! And it is fantastic!
My DVD Collection

#18 of 55 OFFLINE   Felix Martinez

Felix Martinez

Screenwriter

• 1,459 posts
  • LocationSouth Florida

Posted May 04 2010 - 02:20 PM

I am also noticing a slight audio sync delay beginning at Chapter 15 - Hanks fiddling with the espresso machine, etc. onward. This was with a Panny BD-30 (latest firmware) running DTS thru coax into a Pioneer receiver.  I also noticed it with a PS3 (latest firmware) running DTS downmixed stereo analog out, into a TV with built-in speakers to keep things simple.  I then brought out my 2004 SPR 60th Anniversary D-Day DVD release as well as the original 1999 DVD release - both exhibited no audio slip.  It seems to continue throughout the last battle as well, to some degree.

The audio delay is probably something like 2-3 frames, which may go unnoticed - but definitely there on these two set-ups, compared to the prior DVD releases.

I provided feedback here FWIW:

Paramount Blu-ray Support
http://support.paramountbluray.com

Amazing a/v quality otherwise.

Oh well...

#19 of 55 OFFLINE   Neil Middlemiss

Neil Middlemiss

Screenwriter

• 2,934 posts

Posted May 06 2010 - 05:58 AM

Thanks Felix. Our friends over at Digitalbits.com made mention of this, and while they too were unable to see (or I guess, reproduce the issue), they are inquiring with Paramount...
My DVD Collection

#20 of 55 OFFLINE   Dave Moritz

Dave Moritz

Producer

• 3,536 posts

Posted May 06 2010 - 06:55 AM

I completely agree, terrific review Neil !   Money has been very tight but the next trip to Fry's and I will be all over this movie!  I have been waiting for SPR to come out in HD and it looks like none of us will be disapointed.  I can not wait to get this movie on Bluray and check it out.  I first saw this movie at the Edwards Cinema in Ontario, California on the largest screen and I walked away with a better understanding of what WW2 vets went through and a greater appreciation of what they did for us!

Supporter of 1080p & 4K/UHD video (257 Blu-ray Titles)/ Supporter of Lossless PCM, Dolby True HD and DTS HD Master Audio / Say No To MP3 & WMA / Say no to Bose

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Blu-ray Reviews, TV Reviews

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users