Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

How do I tell it will fit the whole screen?

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 of 5 OFFLINE   solidte

solidte

Auditioning

• 3 posts

Posted April 29 2010 - 06:53 PM

I generally like Blu Ray's that fit my whole screen without bars. When I go to the DVD shops and look at the back of the cover i just get some random numbers tha I don't exactly understand, could someone explain which ones will fit the entire screen. thanks :P

#2 of 5 ONLINE   Jim Mcc

Jim Mcc

Producer

• 3,729 posts
  • LocationOconomowoc, WI.

Posted April 29 2010 - 07:01 PM

What is your display/TV? A standard widescreen TV is 16:9 (1.78:1). This is what's used by HDTV shows and movies(OTA, cable, satellite). I don't think there's many Blu-rays that use this aspect ratio, so you'll have bars on most Blu-rays.  

#3 of 5 OFFLINE   solidte

solidte

Auditioning

• 3 posts

Posted April 29 2010 - 07:50 PM

This is my TV http://www.cnet.com....d-339289675.htm

#4 of 5 OFFLINE   Al.Anderson

Al.Anderson

Screenwriter

• 2,356 posts

Posted April 29 2010 - 11:42 PM

That's a standard widescreen, so what Jim said goes; your best movie choices are those in 1.78 or 1.85 (small bars).  2.35 will have large bars top and bottom, 1.33 (older TV shows) will have large bars right and left. 

This is a HT forum, so we have to try and talk you out of you anti bar stance, so here you go - VIEW THE MOVIE AS THE DIRECTOR INTENDED!

But if you really don't want to do that, there are monitor modes that force the screen full, but they either chop off a portion of the picture or they distort the picture.  There's usually a FULL setting that just expands the picture to fill the screen (chops off the overhang); I'll get shot for this, but for most movies you won't lose too much when using this option for widescreen movies.  If you use this option for TV shows (1.33) then you chop off heads.  For 1.33 TV shows there's usually an option (whose name I forget) that keeps the center of the picture at the correct size and expands the edges.  This has variable effects, on some shows you hardly notice it; on otheres it looks really bizare.

#5 of 5 OFFLINE   Astrakan

Astrakan

Auditioning

• 7 posts

Posted April 30 2010 - 12:31 AM

Originally Posted by Al.Anderson ">

This is a HT forum, so we have to try and talk you out of you anti bar stance, so here you go - VIEW THE MOVIE AS THE DIRECTOR INTENDED!

Indeed. And to that end, let me throw up a link to the old standby:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users