Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

Bose Lifestyle 35 or V30?

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 of 12 OFFLINE   kdossjojo

kdossjojo

Auditioning

• 1 posts

Posted April 28 2010 - 01:25 AM

Gurus:

I am at the moment debating on buying either a Lifestyle 35 or a V30. I already have a PS3 which I will be using as a Blu-ray player. I will be running the wires by hiring an electrician who is helping me out in this. Please let me know which would be better for me? I am leaning towards a V30. Is there something which I need to know before I start running the cables/wires?

Any input would be most appreciated.

Regards,
-Kennedy

#2 of 12 OFFLINE   Jason Charlton

Jason Charlton

Producer

• 3,103 posts
  • LocationBaltimore, MD

Posted April 28 2010 - 01:34 AM

I wouldn't go with either one.  For less than the $2500+ either of those systems will cost you, you can get a receiver and separate 5.1 speaker system that will FAR outperform the Bose and be more expandable in the future. Unless you're really hung up on going with Bose, I would suggest you start threads in the receiver and speaker forums to solicit input on alternatives. With that kind of money at your disposal, you can get a great receiver for $500 and have a solid $2k left for speakers.  That's a pretty good budget, again, you'd be wasting it going with a Bose system.

Are you new to the Home Theater Forum? Stop by the New Member Introductions area and introduce yourself! See you there!

#3 of 12 OFFLINE   Robert_J

Robert_J

Lead Actor

• 8,204 posts
  • LocationMississippi

Posted April 28 2010 - 06:16 AM

+1 on Jason's post.  Also, why are you using an electrician.  Run the wires yourself and use that money for even better speakers.  While audio and video formats change, good speakers can last a lifetime.

#4 of 12 OFFLINE   Adam Gregorich

Adam Gregorich

Executive Producer

• 15,033 posts
  • LocationThe Other Washington

Posted April 30 2010 - 11:51 AM

Most electricians don't know what they are doing when it comes to low voltage wiring.  Make sure any low voltage cable is at least 16" from his electrical wire, never sharing the same holes!  If they cross it needs to be at a 90 degree angle (perpendicular).  I second the suggestion about using a decent receiver with a good pair of speakers.  It will sound better than the Bose, be more flexible and easier to upgrade.

#5 of 12 OFFLINE   FreyTheater

FreyTheater

Stunt Coordinator

• 110 posts
  • LocationAmish Country - Lancaster County, Pennsylvania

Posted May 10 2010 - 06:39 AM

Bose is certainly not very favored amongst audiophiles, that's for sure - just Google "Bose hate" and see what you get... I was never impressed with any of their equipment, and it is definitely WAY overpriced for what you get. I owned a pair of Bose 601 speakers about 15 years ago that sold new for well over $600, and I thought they sounded pretty good, until a friend of mine gave me a free pair of old 1974 Large Advent speakers he had stored in his garage for 15 years.  The 601's had two 8" drivers, one angled up at 45 degrees, and 4 3" tweeters pointing is different directions for the infamous Bose Direct-Reflection feature... The Advent cabinets were half the size of the 601s, and had a single front-firing 10" woofer and tweeter.  I hooked them up in a side by side comparision, and the older Advents just thoroughly blew away the Bose speakers - the sound was like night and day.  Needless to say, my Bose speakers were sold within the week and gone for good!
Come FEEL a great movie in the FREYMAX 3D Theater!

#6 of 12 OFFLINE   RobertR

RobertR

Lead Actor

• 9,604 posts

Posted May 11 2010 - 02:46 AM

I join the others in strongly urging the OP not to buy Bose.  The inferiority of their speakers is not just a matter of opinion.  They are objectively inferior.  They measure worse and are cheaply constructed, in addition to simply sounding worse, all while being very overpriced.  That makes them a bad buy all around.

#7 of 12 OFFLINE   huber13

huber13

Extra

• 21 posts

Posted May 11 2010 - 06:43 AM

No Highs No Lows They Must Be Bose! Unless your not intrested in decient sound the BOSE make a good choice. Hay, If you got money to throw around I'll give you my address. I take checks or cash.

#8 of 12 OFFLINE   CB750

CB750

Screenwriter

• 1,035 posts

Posted May 13 2010 - 12:49 PM

Kenny, If could you please share with us what prompted you to audition a Bose Lifestyle system?   Was it the Bose Demonstration,  Marketing, Reputation, Recommendation of a friend, Personal Experience, small cubes, or other factors that attracted you to Bose?   Have you listened to any other component systems that were in your $2,500 price range.

#9 of 12 OFFLINE   TonyD

TonyD

Who do we think I am?

• 16,446 posts
  • LocationDisney World and Universal Florida

Posted May 13 2010 - 01:44 PM

Do those bose systems really cost $2500? WOW.
facebook.com/whotony

#10 of 12 OFFLINE   FreyTheater

FreyTheater

Stunt Coordinator

• 110 posts
  • LocationAmish Country - Lancaster County, Pennsylvania

Posted May 14 2010 - 12:53 AM

I think maybe we scared Kennedy off with all our Bose bashing...!  
Come FEEL a great movie in the FREYMAX 3D Theater!

#11 of 12 OFFLINE   CB750

CB750

Screenwriter

• 1,035 posts

Posted May 14 2010 - 04:36 AM

Originally Posted by TonyD 

Do those bose systems really cost $2500?

WOW.

The Bose Lifestyle systems range in price from $1,5000 to $4,000 the 35 system retails for $2,300.

http://www.bose.com/...le_48/index.jsp

#12 of 12 OFFLINE   Brandon3212

Brandon3212

Agent

• 43 posts

Posted May 19 2010 - 03:37 AM

Dont buy Bose its just crap.  You can spend your money in far better ways.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users