Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

Tomita Dolby Surround CD's

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
6 replies to this topic

#1 of 7 OFFLINE   Eric Fischer

Eric Fischer

Auditioning

• 4 posts

Posted April 27 2010 - 11:22 AM

Hey All -

Just picked up these Tomita "Dolby Surround Edition" CD's cheap (and for fun). They are from 1991 and for the life of me I can't figure out how the heck to play 'em in surround. I have a Denon 1920, which plays just about anything, and a Yamaha HTR-5890 but I'm stumped here. Thanks in advance!

#2 of 7 OFFLINE   Mark-P

Mark-P

Screenwriter

• 2,366 posts
  • LocationCamas, WA

Posted April 27 2010 - 01:01 PM

Uh...select Dolby pro-logic on your Yamaha?

#3 of 7 OFFLINE   Eric Fischer

Eric Fischer

Auditioning

• 4 posts

Posted April 28 2010 - 03:56 AM

Yeah, but that's kind "fake" surround isn't it? It's not like it's decoding a file on the CD itself. You could do that with any CD, right?

#4 of 7 OFFLINE   gene c

gene c

Producer

• 5,734 posts
  • LocationBay area, Ca

Posted April 28 2010 - 10:25 AM

I think your cd's are much like the Dolby Surround encoded vhs tapes of the '90's. They were also 2 channel but must have had some type of Dolby Surround encoded in those 2 channels for extraction and playback in an early 4.0 surround sound system. Cd's/vhs tapes that have this Dolby Surround will probably sound better then regular 2 channel stereo converted to 5.1 by Dolby ProLogic.

This link to a wiki explains it better than I could.

"Everyday room": Panasonic 58" Plasma, Dish HD DVR, Pioneer Elite vsx-23, BDP-23 BR, dv58avi universal dvd player, Paradigm Studio 20 V1, CC-450, Dayton HSU-10 subwoofer.

"Movie/Music room": Toshiba 65" DLP, Dish HD receiver, Marantz 7005, CC-4003, BD-7006, Polk LSI25's-LSi7's-LSiC, 2 original Dayton 10" "Mighty-Mites" subwoofers. (subject to change without notice).

Also have  MB Quart Vera VS05 +.....too much to list. Help me.

#5 of 7 OFFLINE   Mark-P

Mark-P

Screenwriter

• 2,366 posts
  • LocationCamas, WA

Posted April 28 2010 - 02:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric Fischer 

Yeah, but that's kind "fake" surround isn't it? It's not like it's decoding a file on the CD itself. You could do that with any CD, right?

There is nothing "fake" about Dolby surround. It is 4 channels matrixed into 2. No it's not discrete like Dolby Digital 5.1, but CDs can only offer 2-channel PCM sound and yes they can be encoded with Dolby surround just like any stereo movie. If the "Dolby Surround" logo is on the packaging of the CD, then it is encoded in this process and playing it back only requires a Dolby pro-logic receiver.

#6 of 7 OFFLINE   Eric Fischer

Eric Fischer

Auditioning

• 4 posts

Posted June 16 2010 - 06:30 AM

Got it - so that's the key. Looking at the CD there's only .aiff PCM files. So you're saying that even tho they play back in stereo just fine, they have Dolby encoding in the file also. Makes some sense. Played it back decoding it with my receiver and they sounded very interesting. Not really discrete, but kind of cool - especially for 1999! Thanks for the conversation gang.

#7 of 7 OFFLINE   Nicholas Martin

Nicholas Martin

Screenwriter

• 2,683 posts

Posted June 25 2010 - 03:41 PM

The only sure-fire way to get discrete 5.1 surround on a conventional audio CD is on a DTS Music Disc, or DTS-CD.

With that, pop it into any DVD player or a CD player with a digital audio out connected to a receiver and it's good to go.

Damn shame even those have pretty much died out, considering how they were far more compatible than DVD-Audio or SACD ever were.