What's new

Adding Amp to Onkyo Home Theater (1 Viewer)

tmahoney

Grip
Real Name
travis
I have an Onkyo HT s5200 which sounds great but is not loud enough. I am curious if hooking up a second amp then two PAs off that would be an option? Or if there were louder L/R speakers I could hook up to the existing system? Any ideas would help me out, I basically just want louder music where sound quality is not a huge concern.

Thanks for you help.

Robert_J

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
If you want louder for home theater, you will need to upgrade all of your speakers. Upgrading your mains without a matching center will only cause unbalanced sound. Your center speaker won't be able to keep up with the left and right speakers.

An amp and PA speakers are an option if you want just music to be louder. What is your budget for this?

tmahoney

Grip
Real Name
travis
I'm a college student in an apartment complex and we always throw small parties. Noise complaints are not a concern and i'm basically trying to make my system louder than other rooms. My budget is anywhere from $300 - $400 and unbalanced sound isn't a hugh concern. Would it be possible to hook an amp/2 PAs up to the existing system then just unplug it when were not having parties? The point behind this would be maintaining sound quality when watching movies but increasing volume during parties.

Thanks again for the help.

tmahoney

Grip
Real Name
travis
I'm a college student in an apartment complex and we always throw small parties. Noise complaints are not a concern and i'm basically trying to make my system louder than other rooms. My budget is anywhere from $300 - $400 and unbalanced sound isn't a hugh concern. Would it be possible to hook an amp/2 PAs up to the existing system then just unplug it when were not having parties? The point behind this would be maintaining sound quality when watching movies but increasing volume during parties.

Thanks again for the help.

Ed Moxley

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ed
The only pre-out you have on your receiver, is for the subwoofer, so I don't see how you're going to hook an amp up to it. Did you calibrate the speakers?

tmahoney

Grip
Real Name
travis
I connect my music from my computer into the Optical In (TV/Tape) and there are RCA outputs (TV/Tape) on the back. Instead of buying an amp could I get a powered PA like this one and plug the RCA into the 1/4" mono plug with an adapter? The room is very small and I feel that one powered PA might do the trick, what do you think? I did calibrate the speakers.

Here is a link to the back of my receiver: http://www.hd.ca/onkyo/largeimages/hts5200-Back.JPG

Ed Moxley

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ed
Originally Posted by tmahoney
Instead of buying an amp could I get a powered PA like this one and plug the RCA into the 1/4" mono plug with an adapter?
Not sure, but doubt it. Maybe someone else knows for sure.
A powered PA means it has a built-in amp, which normally needs the pre-outs.

Robert_J

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
http://www.parts-express.com/pe/showdetl.cfm?Partnumber=248-829 8 ohms and a 97db sensitivity. You should be able to crank these to uncomfortable levels.

Connect these to your B speaker outputs. Use only the B speakers during parties. You will probably want to set them to large or you won't get any bass with your music. For home theater, turn them off and set your speakers back to small.

Robert_J

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
I have no idea why it doesn't work. When I'm on that page, that is the exact URL that is in my browser. PE part number 248-829. Peavey unpowered PA speaker.

tmahoney

Grip
Real Name
travis
That sounds good, so if I were to connect those and switch output to B speakers it would just switch the mains? All the other speakers would still output including the sub correct? Also, is there some sort of adapter I can buy that will connect the +/- on my receiver to the 1/4" on the PAs you mentioned?

Thanks for the help

Robert_J

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
I wouldn't run my other speakers when listening to music. I wouldn't run my sub either. Just run the PA speakers during parties. Run your other speakers during movies.

You can buy 1/4" mono phono plugs at PE or radio shack or any music store. A soldering iron is all you need to build your own.

tmahoney

Grip
Real Name
travis
Should I not run the other speakers because it might overheat my receiver? The speakers are not that big of a deal but I do like how much punch the powered sub that comes with this system provides. Would it be a possibility to run the PAs and the sub?

Robert_J

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
I suggest that you don't run the other speakers because the PA speakers will blow them away. You won't even notice they are on.

It is possible to run the PA and the sub. Try it both ways. Unless you have a great sub, the PA speakers will probably sound better by themselves.

tmahoney

Grip
Real Name
travis
Perfect thanks, yea I could see the other speakers getting drowned out but the sub is downward firing so i feel like it will definitely add to the noise. How would I go about configuring the system so that it only plays the B Mains and the Sub Pre Out? I'm also wondering how to convert the 1/4" mono plug to speaker wire, I have a soldering iron but i'm not sure how to go about doing the actual job.

Thanks for the help so far.

Robert_J

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
http://www.behringer.com/EN/downloads/pdf/PMH1000_P0115_M_EN.pdf

Page 9. Look at the unbalanced connection. Solder one speaker wire (positive) to the tip connection. Solder the other speaker wire (negative) to the sleeve connection. Screw the cover onto the plug. Put the plug in the 1/4" jack of the speaker. Connect the bare wires on the other end to your receiver. As long as you are consistent with your polarity then everything will work.

Those 1/4" plugs can be purchased at PE, Radio Shack and most music stores.

tmahoney

Grip
Real Name
travis
Perfect, that sounds a lot easier than I thought it would be. You've been very helpful and it's much appreciated. I have one last question and I think i'll be able to go ahead and set this all up; how do I configure my receiver to just power the Sub and the B Mains?

Robert_J

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Do you have an A/B speaker selector button(s)? Set it to B. Turn off any surround settings. Keep your speakers set to small.

Those are the generic steps. Exact details will be found in your owner's manual. You know the instructions that most people throw away.

tmahoney

Grip
Real Name
travis
Yea that's more or less what the manual said--I don't think there are specific steps to just select the B speakers and the Sub. The closest I found was selecting A/B then selecting the stereo (2.1) setting which will probably fine seeing as you said the mains will get drowned out anyway.

Just out of curiosity setting the speakers to small will list them as smaller speakers so decrease the power they receiver from the receiver?

Robert_J

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Setting the speakers to small will route all bass to the sub instead of just routing the LFE track to the sub. Power to the speakers will be the same.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks