What's new

Vocals coming threw my sub (1 Viewer)

bigdog8

Agent
Real Name
Jacob
Am I correct in thinking that a SSF would fix this? A Reckhorn B-1 for example? Or is there something better?

Robert_J

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
A subsonic filter won't fix this. You need to turn down your low pass crossover. Most of us like to set ours at 80hz. That is at least a good starting point. The higher you go, the more vocals will come through your sub.

Al.Anderson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Al
With the crossover set correctly, there shouldn't be a problem. What is your crossover set at?

AudioENG

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Tim
What kind of sub? Is there some lfe switch or something that's in the wrong position?

bigdog8

Agent
Real Name
Jacob
I'm just running it out of the sub output of my pyle receiver and there is no way to adjust it. I'm running 4 Dayton DVC 15"s powered by a behringer EP4000

AudioENG

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Tim
Oh I see. I'm not as familiar with that equipment but if the pyle receiver doesn't allow control of the crossover frequency then I guess you would need some sort of external crossover. I'm surprised the receiver wouldn't have the low pass built in somewhere.

Someone might know more about this specifc configuration and be able to suggest a component.

bigdog8

Agent
Real Name
Jacob
what about something like the Pyramid CR65. Could I just plug my sub outputs into one side then the other side into my amp? Would this work?

Robert_J

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
I didn't know that Pyle made a receiver with an LFE/sub output. What model?

Adding an external crossover like the Pyramid may give you a gap in the frequency response. If your Pyle has a crossover set at 160 hz and you use an external crossover set at 60 hz. You are missing everything between 60 hz and 100 hz. And I didn't know Pyramid was still around. I still have some 15" subs from my girlfriend's (now wife) car from the late '80's. You do know you will need an AC to DC power supply for any 12v DC equipment.

Robert_J

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
It doesn't look like the Pyle has a high pass filter on its speaker outputs so it would not hurt to use the Pyramid crossover. Just power it with something like this and it will work just fine. http://www.parts-express.com/pe/showdetl.cfm?Partnumber=120-532

I really love that Pyle has stayed true to their marketing department and publish the IHBL wattage ratings. (IHBL = If Hit By Lightning)

bigdog8

Agent
Real Name
Jacob
So i would just clip the power adapter off the end of the pyramid crossover and connect the wires to the red/black on the PSU? Is there any difference in the Pyramid CR65 and CR66? And for this crossover I could just plug my sub outs into the in and then run the out to the amp correct?

bigdog8

Agent
Real Name
Jacob
i got the PSU figured out forget i asked lol. but to me the difference in the CR65 and 66 is the cut hz? would i want the 80,120,180 option one or the 50,90,180 one?

Robert_J

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
I like the one that has 50 & 90 hz. My receiver has an 80hz crossover but there is very little difference between 80hz and 90hz. But the 50hz option is nice if your mains can go that low without much effort.

bigdog8

Agent
Real Name
Jacob
ok i ordered the 50,90,180. what would you suggest I set it to? 90? Also as far as the bass boost, should I use it? If so what should it be set to? 45,80,120?

Robert_J

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Never, ever, ever use bass boost in your car or home. It is evil and will kill your subs.

Set the crossover at 50 or 90.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks