-

Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and you won't get the popup ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo

Mackenna's Gold on May 4th widescreen or not?

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
35 replies to this topic

#21 of 36 ahollis

ahollis

Producer

• 5,633 posts
  • LocationNew Orleans

Posted May 09 2010 - 01:18 AM

Originally Posted by TonyD 

^probably because it's just the same old disc in a new label.

Universal has a bunch of titles coming June 1 with new packaging but old transfers, including the horrible transfer of THE HINDENBURG.  It is 2010, so please wake up and do these things right.  Both Sony and Universal know better.

"Get a director and a writer and leave them alone. That`s how the best pictures get made" - William "Wild Bill" Wellman

#22 of 36 GMpasqua

GMpasqua

Screenwriter

• 1,429 posts

Posted May 09 2010 - 07:44 AM

Originally Posted by TonyD 

^probably because it's just the same old disc in a new label.

Also, Netflix has an HD stream available that is a widescreen  edition.

Posted Image

If Netflix has a HD version of the film does this mean it would be used for the bluray?

This Disc had no chance. 3 strikes from the start:

2;20 - 2:35 OAR intended to be re-released on DVD in widescreen

Wrong OAR of 1:85 listed on the packaging

Pan and Scan disc inside

Good work Sony, you are to be congradulated!!!

#23 of 36 Dave B Ferris

Dave B Ferris

Supporting Actor

• 728 posts

Posted May 10 2010 - 05:47 AM

Originally Posted by Douglas Monce 

I have the last Columba release of this film released about 3 or 4 years ago. It is anamorphic widescreen with 5.1 dolby digital. The color isn't washed out, but it could use a little clean up. Running time is 2 hours and 7 mins.

Doug

Doug, would you post a picture of your release, or at least provide the year listed in the copyright info on the back cover.  The only "old" version I found in stores this weekend is listed as 2003 (and the back cover does additionally say full screen).

Thank you.

#24 of 36 Douglas Monce

Douglas Monce

Producer

• 5,514 posts

Posted May 10 2010 - 11:31 PM

I don't have a way of copying the cover at the moment. The version I have has a package copyright of 2000. It is a flipper with a pan and scan on one side and widescreen anamorphic on the other. Also the audio is 5.0 not 5.1, so its probably a direct port of the 70mm audio.

I do wish this film would get a proper release. I'd also love to see it include George Lucas' short film about the making of the film called  6-18-67.

I found this review of the release that I have.

http://www.dvdtalk.c...mackennas-gold/

Doug

Edit:

I just checked out the HD release on Netflix instant view. It appears to be the same transfer as the DVD that I have. The print is fairly dirty with quite a few white specks. However it is much sharper than the DVD and very watchable.

"I'm in great shape, for the shape I'm in."
Bob Hope in The Ghostbreakers

#25 of 36 Livius

Livius

Second Unit

• 406 posts

Posted May 11 2010 - 12:25 AM

All the talk of HD versions of this movie makes me think how bad that godawful effects shot on the rope bridge might look - it already looks for all the world like an Action Man strapped to a toy horse on the DVD.

Riding the High Country - My Movie Blog

#26 of 36 Joseph Bolus

Joseph Bolus

Screenwriter

• 2,186 posts

Posted May 11 2010 - 12:36 AM

It's inconceivable to me that Sony continues to reissue this movie to DVD in P&S when a "decent" 2.35:1 anamorphic Widescreen transfer of the flick has already been released to the format.  

Several years ago I conducted a search of all the various shops in the area which stocked used DVDs in hopes of finding that old flipper.  And I came up totally empty.  (Although I *was* able to snag "The Last Action Hero" flipper which served me well until the BD release.)

Color me "totally mystified" /img/vbsmilies/htf/confused.gif by this release strategy.

Joseph
---------------

#27 of 36 Dave B Ferris

Dave B Ferris

Supporting Actor

• 728 posts

Posted May 11 2010 - 05:10 AM

Originally Posted by Douglas Monce 

I don't have a way of copying the cover at the moment. The version I have has a package copyright of 2000. It is a flipper with a pan and scan on one side and widescreen anamorphic on the other. Also the audio is 5.0 not 5.1, so its probably a direct port of the 70mm audio.

I do wish this film would get a proper release. I'd also love to see it include George Lucas' short film about the making of the film called  6-18-67.

I found this review of the release that I have.

http://www.dvdtalk.c...mackennas-gold/

Doug

Edit:

I just checked out the HD release on Netflix instant view. It appears to be the same transfer as the DVD that I have. The print is fairly dirty with quite a few white specks. However it is much sharper than the DVD and very watchable.

Thank you.

#28 of 36 dantana

dantana

Auditioning

• 1 posts

Posted May 05 2012 - 03:39 AM

I was in India in early seventies, where they had many large 70mm theaters and as a kid could not forget this magnificent movie. I have regular 4:3 version DVD which on my home theater gets streched when shown on 16:9. I don't think they released a WS version. Also I am waiting to see if they release blue ray version.

#29 of 36 Billy Batson

Billy Batson

Screenwriter

• 1,362 posts
  • LocationLondon

Posted May 06 2012 - 04:04 AM

It's a fun movie, I have the region 2 DVD. It does have some truly awful process work (when Peck & Sharif first meet there's some glaring blue screen shots, I suppose they were pick-up done in a studio, a shame as it's a spectular location), & crossing the bridge straped to a donkey, oh dear! And when the sun comes up (& my god, doesn't it come up fast) shouldn't the shadow be getting shorter & not longer? But if I'm in the mood I thoughly enjoy it. Maybe a Blu-ray from TT, but I don't enjoy it that much.

#30 of 36 Dave B Ferris

Dave B Ferris

Supporting Actor

• 728 posts

Posted October 22 2013 - 01:00 PM

So, there was yet another release this year. Does anybody know if they got it right this time?

http://www.amazon.co...wanted westerns

#31 of 36 RLane777

RLane777

Agent

• 35 posts
  • LocationSacramento, CA

Posted October 25 2013 - 10:10 PM

So, there was yet another release this year. Does anybody know if they got it right this time?

I should be getting mine tomorrow, and I'll post here what I find out. I hope it is Widescreen, but I have a feeling it's not.

My blog - classic-movies-review.blogspot.com

#32 of 36 Dave B Ferris

Dave B Ferris

Supporting Actor

• 728 posts

Posted October 28 2013 - 06:26 AM

I should be getting mine tomorrow, and I'll post here what I find out. I hope it is Widescreen, but I have a feeling it's not.

I went ahead with an order as well, so my fingers are also crossed. I hope to receive mine tomorrow or Wednesday.

#33 of 36 Everett Stallings

Everett Stallings

Second Unit

• 372 posts
  • LocationWilmington,De

Posted October 28 2013 - 07:18 AM

I remember running the trailer,and thinking how great it looked. Columbia was running full page ads in Boxoffice magazine for the 70mm release,but can't recall if it was for a RoadShow run. We ran it first run @ The Westway theatre in Balto. co.Md. 400 seat neigborhood theatre. 

Former projectionist @ all downtown theatres in Balto. City.Which are all closed. frown.gif

#34 of 36 RLane777

RLane777

Agent

• 35 posts
  • LocationSacramento, CA

Posted October 28 2013 - 02:40 PM

I reviewed my copy and it is Widescreen and all others are also in Widescreen, except Mountain Men, which is in full frame.

My blog - classic-movies-review.blogspot.com

#35 of 36 Dave B Ferris

Dave B Ferris

Supporting Actor

• 728 posts

Posted October 28 2013 - 03:06 PM

I reviewed my copy and it is Widescreen and all others are also in Widescreen, except Mountain Men, which is in full frame.

Thanks for reporting back. Very good to hear. As I mentioned earlier today, I had "gambled" by going ahead with my order.

However, I have still not received my package. It was shipped last Thursday, so I'm hoping maybe today or more likely tomorrow.

#36 of 36 Randy Korstick

Randy Korstick

Screenwriter

• 2,342 posts

Posted October 29 2013 - 07:00 AM

Its strange that they originally got this right with both a widescreen and full frame version on the original DVD release in 2000 and then couldn't get reissues right until now. Glad I got the original one when it came out and avoided all this mess.

...When you eliminate the impossible whatever remains, no matter how improbable, must be the truth

Top 20 Films

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users