What's new

Mackenna's Gold on May 4th widescreen or not? (1 Viewer)

GMpasqua

Screenwriter
Real Name
Greg
Anyone know if the My 4th edition of "MacKennas Gold" is widescreen? None of the websites (including SONY's) say if it is wide or pan and Scan. I have a feeling it's the same old Pan and Scan version (even thought it wass released in widescreen originally and it is 2010)

Van594

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Scott
I've been wondering this too...it's not even listed on Amazon for a new edition so who knows.

Mark_TS

Screenwriter
ive read it had been remastered once a couple years back in PS only, so maybe this time its WS.

Itll never happen, but it would be nice to see a restored uncut version, ive read exists

ahollis

Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Allen
Originally Posted by GMpasqua
MarK TS, what is in the uncut version?
It was to be a big sprawling Roadshow western. But since it was released in 1969, Roadshow epics were on the down hill swing then. It was filmed in Super Panavision 70, but not sure if it was ever shown in 70mm nor not sure that it was even released on the Roadshow circuit but I understand some people heard an overture before the film, so I guess it had a few showings. I understand that it was cut by a little over 10 minutes before it was released. I have read in several articles that the missing footage has survived, but maybe it is somewhere in South America (LOL).

Mark_TS

Screenwriter
i dont claim to know the length but I THOUGHT Leonard Maltin's film guide implied a LOT was cut-but that was years back when I read this

BUt you are correct on all other accounts-it was an 'end of an era Roadshow' that didnt make the cut, AFAIK

its a fun, big dumb film but beautifully shot- a guilty pleasure such as LIFEFORCE, still MIA on 16x9 DVD

ahollis

Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Allen
Originally Posted by Mark_TS /forum/thread/300101/mackenna-s-gold-on-may-4th-widescreen-or-not#post_3687756
i dont claim to know the length but I THOUGHT Leonard Maltin's film guide implied a LOT was cut-but that was years back when I read this
I had also heard that a lot was cut, but when I started asking questions, the number I kept getting back was a little over 10 minutes. This could have been just another cut from the studio during release, while the actual film delivered to the studio by the director could have been much longer and Columbia cut it before anyone saw it. AFI just lists one running time of128 minutes.

BethHarrison

Second Unit
Real Name
Bethany Harrison
In this book on J. Lee Thompson:
http://www.amazon.co.uk/J-Lee-Thompson-British-Film-Makers/dp/0719060125/ref=sr_1_17?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1273067533&sr=1-17

The duration of McKenna's Gold is listed as 136 minutes.

The DVD I have is 123 Minutes PAL, which is just under 128 minutes when corrected.

John Hodson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
The BBFC (which is not infallible BTW) lists it as originally being "135m 52s (submitted) passed with cuts"

The BFI database has the length of the film as 12240 feet, 136 minutes dead.

GMpasqua

Screenwriter
Real Name
Greg
I did read that shooting started in 70MM but at some point during the shoot they switched to 35MM

So back to my original question - is the DVD released on May 4th widesreen?

Steve Christou

Long Member
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve Christou
Fantastic western. The running time of my Region 2 dvd is 122m 50s and the only extras are 3 trailers, one of which is 5 mins long (for Mackenna's Gold).

It's also in 5.1 stereo and 2.35 ratio anamorphic.

Van594

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Scott
Originally Posted by GMpasqua /forum/thread/300101/mackenna-s-gold-on-may-4th-widescreen-or-not#post_3687833
I did read that shooting started in 70MM but at some point during the shoot they switched to 35MM
So back to my original question - is the DVD released on May 4th widesreen?
It wasn't re-released..it was supposed to be according to Digital Bits but I have seen nothing yet, just the old release which is fullscreen. It was for a short time released by Sony with WS on one side and full on the other but thats hard to find and pricey if you do. It's a film that needs WS to be appreciated.

Douglas R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Doug
Originally Posted by ahollis /forum/thread/300101/mackenna-s-gold-on-may-4th-widescreen-or-not#post_3687192
It was to be a big sprawling Roadshow western. But since it was released in 1969, Roadshow epics were on the down hill swing then. It was filmed in Super Panavision 70, but not sure if it was ever shown in 70mm nor not sure that it was even released on the Roadshow circuit but I understand some people heard an overture before the film, so I guess it had a few showings. I understand that it was cut by a little over 10 minutes before it was released. I have read in several articles that the missing footage has survived, but maybe it is somewhere in South America (LOL).
It was shown in 70mm when it first opened in London. I didn't get to see it at that time but I don't think it was given a Roadshow presentation.

Brian Sharp

Second Unit
Real Name
Brian Sharp
I have the pan and scan/ widescreen version. Not a great advert for dvd as the colour is washed out, lots of dirt, sprocket marks on the print and two channel sound.

There was an overture, intermission (hardly needed in a movie this long) and exit music which probably accounts for the 10 minute discrepancy.

john a hunter

Screenwriter
Originally Posted by Douglas R /forum/thread/300101/mackenna-s-gold-on-may-4th-widescreen-or-not#post_3688198
It was shown in 70mm when it first opened in London. I didn't get to see it at that time but I don't think it was given a Roadshow presentation.
It had a strange release because of the interference of the producer, Carl Foreman. It had orginally been shot for Cinerama(hence Super Panavision) but there was a falling out between Foreman and Cinerama and apparently some scenes were eventually shot in 35mm. It looked a bit of a mess and as Columbia at that time was fully involved in the roadshowing of Funny Girl, the film 'escaped" more than being released.
I remember speaking to someone about this time who interviewed Foreman and to say that Foreman was strange would be an understatement.

janetracer

Auditioning
Real Name
Janet
If you are looking for the Anamorphic Widescreen version of this title....
DO NOT PURCHASE THIS RELEASE.

Last night I bought Mackenna's Gold at Wal-Mart.
It had the new 2010 copyrighted cover which listed the movie as being in 1:85 Anamorphic Widescreen.
However to my disappointment when I played the movie it was the old pan and scan 1:33 release which had only the opening and ending credits in 1:33 non anamorphic widescreen.

Douglas Monce

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Douglas Monce
I have the last Columba release of this film released about 3 or 4 years ago. It is anamorphic widescreen with 5.1 dolby digital. The color isn't washed out, but it could use a little clean up. Running time is 2 hours and 7 mins.

Doug

GMpasqua

Screenwriter
Real Name
Greg
The film's OAR is more like 2:35 not 1:85.

I can't believe SONY would issue a Pan and Scan DVD in 2010 : why aren't they thinking

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
^probably because it's just the same old disc in a new label.

Also, Netflix has an HD stream available that is a widescreen edition.

e7819ca8_Screen shot 2010-05-08 at 8.49.57 PM.png

Douglas Monce

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Douglas Monce
Originally Posted by GMpasqua
The film's OAR is more like 2:35 not 1:85.

I can't believe SONY would issue a Pan and Scan DVD in 2010 : why aren't they thinking
Actually the original aspect ratio is more like 2.20:1 having been shot in 70mm. The Scope reduction is probably cropped to 2.35:1 which is what the ratio of my DVD appears to be.

Doug

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks