What's new

MIA: A SPENCER TRACY BOX SET FROM WB (1 Viewer)

Charles H

Screenwriter
Louis B. Mayer claimed that the three greatest MGM stars were Greta Garbo, Marie Dressler, and Spencer Tracy. Isn't about time that WB brought out a collection of Tracy films: the two remaining Tracy-Hepburn films (KEEPER OF THE FLAME, SEA OF GRASS), historical extravaganzas (NORTHWEST PASSAGE, PLYMOUTH ADVENTURE), war films (A GUY NAMED JOE, THE SEVENTH CROSS), novel adaptations (CASS TIMBERLANE, TORTILLA FLAT), play adaptations (THE SHOW-OFF, EDWARD, MY SON), and forgotten but memorable Tracy performances (THEY GAVE HIM A GUN, THE PEOPLE AGAINST O'HARA) that never made it to HomeVideo?

Eric Peterson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Eric Peterson
YES! Spencer is truly not appreciated as he should be. It's almost as if people have forgotten that he did films without Hepburn.

In addition to those already mentioned, I would like to see:
Northwest Passage
Edison, The Man
Man's Castle

Jim Bur

Stunt Coordinator
Hasn't Edison the Man already been released through the Archives?

The omission of Northwest Passage on DVD to date is very surprising. It is probably the top old time classic film in Warner's library that hasn't yet made it to DVD. It was one of MGM's all time moneymaking hits when it was released during the golden age.

Test Pilot is also an outstanding classic film. I thought they might be holding it out to include as part of a second Clark Gable set since they are still a number of outstanding Gable films which haven't yet been released such as Red Dust, Test Pilot, Across the Wide Missouri, The Hucksters, etc. Perhaps the first Gable set didn't do good enough business so they gave up on the idea of second set.

Eric Peterson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Eric Peterson
Hasn't Edison the Man already been released through the Archives?
Yes, it has but I don't consider that a release. Until there is a proper DVD, I have my DVD-R copy from TCM.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks