Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests to win things like this Logitech Harmony Ultimate Remote and you won't get the popup ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

A few words about...™ Saving Private Ryan -- in Blu-ray

A Few Words About

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
66 replies to this topic

#21 of 67 Bryan^H

Bryan^H

Screenwriter

• 2,571 posts

Posted April 25 2010 - 05:37 PM

I can't wait to see this on Blu-Ray.  I missed it in the theater/img/vbsmilies/htf/frown.gif and I haven't watched it on dvd since I picked up my HD tv set a couple years ago.  Watching it now should almost be as good as in the theater.  With my surround setup, I'm expecting to be "blown away"......literally.

housekeeping 2.jpg

"She always does that, she just wanders away"

#22 of 67 Robert Crawford

Robert Crawford

• 24,126 posts
  • LocationMichigan

Posted April 25 2010 - 09:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robin9 View Post

No, of course not. I was using an extreme hypothesis to make the point that a reasonably open-minded person can still be startled by an opinion that contradicts everything he has come to believe and accept.

I don't think Saving Private Ryan is a bad movie. I just don't think it is a truly great one. I agree with the consensus that it has near the begining an exceptionally good battle sequence incorporating demonstration quality use of directional sound, and that everything that follows is a bit of a let-down and is not especially thought-provoking, moving or exciting.

The general consensus is that Saving Private Ryan is a great movie whether you agree with that opinion or not.  As far as thought-provoking, I will never forget walking out of a sold-out movie theater after watching Saving Private Ryan for the first time.  It was the first time, I observed a sold out audience leaving the theater in dead silence and you could tell by the looks on their faces that most of us were still digesting what we've observed over the last 2.5 hours.  Afterwards, I talked with several friends about this film and their reaction was that Saving Private Ryan really struck a chord with them about the horror of war and the ultimate sacrifice that many soldiers gave to their country.

Personally, I wouldn't call Saving Private Ryan the greatest "war" film ever made, but it's in the top 10-15 in my opinion.  It's impact on the film industry gave us Band of Brothers and The Pacific while it will most likely continue to influence future film-making of "war" films for many more years to come.

Crawdaddy

Crawdaddy

Blu-ray Preorder Schedule

#23 of 67 Douglas Monce

Douglas Monce

Producer

• 5,514 posts

Posted April 25 2010 - 09:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robin9 

That's my position too.

The idea that Saving Private Ryan is better than, for example, The Bridge On The River Kwai, Lawrence Of Arabia, Zulu, Zulu Dawn and Patton I find astonishing.
I don't know if its better than those films, but it is surely right up there with them. And a much better film than Patton in my own opinion.

Doug

"I'm in great shape, for the shape I'm in."
Bob Hope in The Ghostbreakers

#24 of 67 Douglas Monce

Douglas Monce

Producer

• 5,514 posts

Posted April 25 2010 - 09:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robin9 

No, of course not. I was using an extreme hypothesis to make the point that a reasonably open-minded person can still be startled by an opinion that contradicts everything he has come to believe and accept.

I don't think Saving Private Ryan is a bad movie. I just don't think it is a truly great one. I agree with the consensus that it has near the begining an exceptionally good battle sequence incorporating demonstration quality use of directional sound, and that everything that follows is a bit of a let-down and is not especially thought-provoking, moving or exciting.

I think that Saving Private Ryan is a truly great film. Is it the greatest war film ever made? I have no idea. However I found it extremely though provoking.

Yes the plot is a fairly standard "squad" film where you get to know each of the men, but it is told with such virtuosity as to rise above its basic "movie formula" plot in to a truly great film.

I saw this film in a theater with a small group of World War 2 vets. It was a very moving experience for me, and clearly was for them. My group went to a coffee shop after words and ended up talking about the film till 3am. For me this is one of the best films of the last 20 years, if not the best.

Doug

"I'm in great shape, for the shape I'm in."
Bob Hope in The Ghostbreakers

#25 of 67 Parker Clack

Parker Clack

Schizophrenic Man

• 12,068 posts
  • LocationKansas City, MO

Posted April 25 2010 - 11:32 PM

Its funny what you take away from a film. I remember watching SPR and thinking to myself I didn't want to watch it again as it really bothered me on an emotional level. One scene in particular scared the hell out of me and that was when the Tiger tank is advancing on the teams position and all you hear in the background is the sound of its engine and mechanical clank of its track. The feeling of impending doom just overtook me and I almost left the theater. I went with a close friend and, like Crawdaddy experienced, you could hear a pin drop at the end. Nobody said a thing to one another as we were leaving.

I have watched about every war film made and none of them had this type of emotional impact on me. I really can't pinpoint what scene caused this emotion or that feeling but for me what SPR brought to bear was a feeling of being there in the moment and not just watching a dramatization (even though it was) of a piece of our history. 

"I tried to get my medical records from the company but they say they

are confidential and can only be released to other insurance companies,

pharmaceutical​ reps, suppliers of medical equipment and for some

reason the RNC."

#26 of 67 PaulDA

PaulDA

Screenwriter

• 2,575 posts
  • LocationSt. Hubert, Quebec, Canada

Posted April 26 2010 - 01:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fritz Nilsen View Post

May I also add a vote for "A midnight clear"? Anyone?
An excellent film that I would buy on BD in a heartbeat.

As for Saving Private Ryan, unfortunately, I had a horrible screening experience at the cinema.  Sitting next to me was a young couple (about 20 years old) and the girl had her hands over her eyes for the entire opening sequence (and much of the rest of the film).  That was not especially bothersome in and of itself, but it had a nasty consequence.  Her boyfriend spent the entire time describing, quite loudly, every detail she was not watching ("and now, there's a guy with his arm blown off standing around looking for it" and "there's a guy puking over the side of the boat" and so on).  Despite my (and other) protestations, he refused to shut up or tone down his voice.  By the time an usher could make his way to us (centre row in a huge, packed cinema), the sequence was ruined--and the usher was too cowardly to do anything about it.  

My complaint to management got me a refund, but it did nothing to undo the ruined impact of the opening sequence.  I've seen it subsequently several times, of course, but it is impossible to create the same powerful impression as a proper first viewing does.  

Never try to teach a pig to sing. It wastes time, and it annoys the pig.

#27 of 67 Mike Frezon

Mike Frezon

Studio Mogul

• 28,769 posts
  • LocationRensselaer, NY

Posted April 26 2010 - 05:21 AM

Too bad, Paul, that that's the memory with which you're left.  /img/vbsmilies/htf/thumbsdown.gif

People are stupid.

There's Jessie the yodeling cowgirl. Bullseye, he's Woody's horse. Pete the old prospector. And, Woody, the man himself.Of course, it's time for Woody's RoundUp. He's the very best! He's the rootinest, tootinest cowboy in the wild, wild west!

HTF Rules | HTF Mission Statement | Father of the Bride

Dieting with my Dog & Heart to Heart/Hand in Paw by Peggy Frezon

#28 of 67 Bryan^H

Bryan^H

Screenwriter

• 2,571 posts

Posted April 26 2010 - 05:52 AM

I think Saving Private Ryan is one of the best war movies ever.  There is only one war movie(I have seen) that I feel is much better....Platoon.  Vietnam has always fascinated me for some odd reason. Platoon on Blu-Ray would be most welcome.

housekeeping 2.jpg

"She always does that, she just wanders away"

#29 of 67 Aaron Silverman

Aaron Silverman

Lead Actor

• 9,380 posts
  • LocationFlorida

Posted April 26 2010 - 07:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert Crawford 

You're right, it's not fair to compare a 2 hour movie to a 10 hour series.

Crawdaddy
Let me rephrase:  IMO at least 7-8 episodes of Band of Brothers are individually superior to SPR. :)  I found them riveting for reasons beyond the battle sequences and production values.

This conversation comes up all the time because so many people consider SPR to be one of the greatest war films of all time.  Like Robin, I would not put it in the class of films like River Kwai or Lawrence.  (Patton or Zulu -- maybe. :) )

"How wonderful it will be to have a leader unburdened by the twin horrors of knowledge and experience." -- Mr. Wick

#30 of 67 Phil Carter

Phil Carter

Second Unit

• 324 posts
  • LocationAustin, TX

Posted April 26 2010 - 07:51 AM

Very much looking forward to this one's release. I always enjoy this when I watch it although there are still bits that have me so tense I bite my fingernails.

On a side note, I wonder how long it will be after the release before somebody starts complaining on a forum somewhere that the vaunted Blu-Ray high definition is OBVIOUSLY not worth the money, because there are streaks and smears in places on the screen during the opening sequence. :)

"I should never have written all of those tank programs."
-- Kevin Flynn, "Tron"
** My DVD / Blu-Ray collection; profile by DVD Profiler **

#31 of 67 Brian Borst

Brian Borst

Screenwriter

• 1,137 posts

Posted April 26 2010 - 08:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil Carter 

On a side note, I wonder how long it will be after the release before somebody starts complaining on a forum somewhere that the vaunted Blu-Ray high definition is OBVIOUSLY not worth the money, because there are streaks and smears in places on the screen during the opening sequence. :)
I'd like to think that everyone who's remotely interested in the movie knows enough about how and why it was shot the way Kaminski shot it. Of course that could be said about other movies too, and I've been wrong about some of those before.

Never go out with anyone who thinks Fellini is a type of cheese

My Blu-Ray/DVD Collection

#32 of 67 Jesse Blacklow

Jesse Blacklow

Screenwriter

• 2,049 posts

Posted April 27 2010 - 12:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil Carter ">

It already kinda happened at a certain audio video forum of "scientists":
Quote:
 was meant to be a window into 'real life'".  I love the part where the guy is saying a visit to the beach 64 years later represents the "true" vision of the film.  Also, note that last sentence is talking about film grain.  Which he then tried to claim Spielberg didn't mean to put in the film! 
"Would I rather be feared or loved? Um...easy, both. I want people to be afraid of how much they love me."
--Michael Scott, The Office

"When I get sad I just stop being sad and be awesome instead. True story."
--Barney Stinson, How I Met Your Mother

#33 of 67 nanalover

nanalover

Auditioning

• 1 posts

Posted April 27 2010 - 04:00 AM

i just brought from www.quemart.com

#34 of 67 hampsteadbandit

hampsteadbandit

Stunt Coordinator

• 155 posts

Posted April 27 2010 - 08:18 AM

just got my copy of SPR on Blu-Ray

awesome!

the quandry - do I watch this first, or Avatar on Blu-Ray which I also received today??

#35 of 67 TravisR

TravisR

Studio Mogul

• 21,435 posts
  • LocationThe basement of the FBI building

Posted April 27 2010 - 08:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hampsteadbandit ">

the quandry - do I watch this first, or Avatar on Blu-Ray which I also received today??

I say you watch Saving Private Ryan since it's not out yet (in Region A) so you can rub it our North American faces.

#36 of 67 Paramount

Paramount

Extra

• 17 posts

Posted April 27 2010 - 11:45 AM

I just wanted to confirm that the BD release of Saving Private Ryan will be DTS-HD Master Audio.

";s:7:"insider

#37 of 67 Jeff Robertson

Jeff Robertson

Second Unit

• 453 posts

Posted April 27 2010 - 12:42 PM

Thank you, Paramount. Hope to be hearing more from you.   :)

#38 of 67 Mike Frezon

Mike Frezon

Studio Mogul

• 28,769 posts
  • LocationRensselaer, NY

Posted April 29 2010 - 04:46 AM

Amazon has dropped its pre-order price on SPR to $22.99.

There's Jessie the yodeling cowgirl. Bullseye, he's Woody's horse. Pete the old prospector. And, Woody, the man himself.Of course, it's time for Woody's RoundUp. He's the very best! He's the rootinest, tootinest cowboy in the wild, wild west!

HTF Rules | HTF Mission Statement | Father of the Bride

Dieting with my Dog & Heart to Heart/Hand in Paw by Peggy Frezon

#39 of 67 TravisR

TravisR

Studio Mogul

• 21,435 posts
  • LocationThe basement of the FBI building

Posted April 29 2010 - 04:59 AM

^ I know we're not really supposed to talk about prices before they're published but Best Buy's price will be cheaper.

#40 of 67 Neil Middlemiss

Neil Middlemiss

Screenwriter

• 2,534 posts

Posted April 29 2010 - 05:10 AM

The review copy arrived this morning - I am eager to get home and begin my review. I can tell you now, that my review of the film will be highly positive as I consider this film one of the most important of the last 25 years.
"Equipped with his five senses, man explores the universe around him and calls the adventure Science" – Edwin Hubble
My DVD Collection

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: A Few Words About

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users