Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests to win things like this Logitech Harmony Ultimate Remote and you won't get the popup ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

A few words about...™ Saving Private Ryan -- in Blu-ray

A Few Words About

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
66 replies to this topic

#1 of 67 Robert Harris

Robert Harris

Archivist

• 7,320 posts

Posted April 23 2010 - 02:42 AM

With Paramount's Sapphire Series getting off to a bit of a rocky start with digital cleansing problems in Gladiator, which may have been caused by Universal elements, it's nice to see quality back with their release of Steven Spielberg's Saving Private Ryan.

I've a feeling that anything with Mr. Spielberg's name attached to it is going to go through a bit more serious QC path than some other productions, and if that's the case it shows here.

I screened the new Blu-ray last night for a friend, and he made an interesting comment.  With the overall dynamism, layers of audio and pure volume, dialogue during the opening landing, as well as all other sequences that play high on the db scale, is all clear. 

While I would believe that some of this is due to the decoding of one's receiver, speaker setup, etc., the audio must clearly be there in the uncompressed tracks before it can be delivered into one's home theater environment. 

The audio on this disc, full, rich, loud and always crisp and clean is a testament to not only the sound effects, dialogue recording and mixing work performed on this huge production, but also of the fact that the DTS-HD Master Audio system delivers what it promises.

Image is perfect, with rich blacks, accurate color and densities.

Saving Private Ryan is a great, and important film, and has  been delivered with perfection via Paramount on the Blu-ray format.  As the winner of five Academy Awards inclusive of Best Director, (Shakespeare in Love took Best Picture), it deserves a place in any serious Blu-ray collection.  As an aside, SPR also won Best Editing, Sound and Sound Effects Editing, so what you're hearing should come as no surprise.  Anyone serious about cinema should stop for a moment and imagine what was entailed in creating these tracks.  The job must have been immense.

A perfect Blu-ray.

Highly Recommended.

RAH

"All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find that it was vanity: but the dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible. This I did." T.E. Lawrence

#2 of 67 JoshB

JoshB

Supporting Actor

• 901 posts

Posted April 23 2010 - 02:53 AM

And also an Oscar for Best Cinematography :)

Easily the best war-film ever made (along side its mini-series counterpart Band of Brothers), and one of the most important films of the last half century in my opinion. 

Hopefully, Cameron's Titanic finds its way to BD soon in the Sapphire Series, done correctly of course.

"To sin by silence when we should protest makes cowards out of men."

Operation Iraqi Freedom Campaign Veteran, 06-08.
Operation Iraqi Freedom Campaign Veteran, 09-10.

Operation Enduring Freedom Campaign Veteran, 12-13.

#3 of 67 Sam Posten

Sam Posten

• 15,626 posts
  • LocationAberdeen, MD & Navesink, NJ

Posted April 23 2010 - 02:54 AM

Can't wait to hear this in Lossless.  This is one of those films where it will be really terrific to compare against what has come before it, due to the extensive effort that went into the theatrical production.

"Sam, you are the biggest nutter we have here."

Blog: Navesink.net - My Flickr Stream - Dolby Atmos Discussion Thread - Updates at Twitter - Join the HTF Flickr Pool

#4 of 67 Robert Crawford

Robert Crawford

• 24,121 posts
  • LocationMichigan

Posted April 23 2010 - 03:22 AM

Till this day, I think this film was robbed of the Best Picture Oscar. 

Great to hear the positive feedback on the AV presentation of this BR release.

Crawdaddy

Crawdaddy

Blu-ray Preorder Schedule

#5 of 67 cineMANIAC

cineMANIAC

Screenwriter

• 1,803 posts

Posted April 23 2010 - 03:44 AM

Can't wait to pick this up - a must have. Now what about A.I.?

#6 of 67 Joseph J.D

Joseph J.D

Screenwriter

• 2,686 posts

Posted April 23 2010 - 04:20 AM

I agree....even though I do like "Shakespeare In Love" as well, it really has no place alongside this film.  Look forward to picking this one up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert Crawford 

Recently watched- Star Wars: Return Of The Jedi, Star Wars: The Empire Strikes Back, Star Wars: A New Hope, Star Wars: Revenge Of The Sith, Star Wars: Attack Of The Clones, Star Wars: The Phantom Menace, Mad Max Beyond Thunderdome, Beauty and The Beast: Season 3, Mad Max 2, Mad Max, Wonder Woman(1974), Batman: Year One

Currently watching- Planet Earth, The Twilight Zone: Season 1, Cheers: Season 6, True Blood: Season 2, Gatchaman: The Complete Series, Simon & Simon: Season 3

"You are unwise to lower your defenses!"

#7 of 67 Aaron Silverman

Aaron Silverman

Lead Actor

• 9,380 posts
  • LocationFlorida

Posted April 23 2010 - 06:49 AM

IMO this movie is a fairly run-of-the-mill war flick with a classic opening sequence and a very good final battle (and spectacular production values).  Of course, when the DTS DVD came out, I watched that opening sequence over and over -- that's as awesome as film sound gets.  (See, this isn't a thread fart. :)

(Taken as a whole, IMO Shakespeare in Love was a better movie. And it may not be fair to compare a 2-hour movie to a 10-hour series, but I much prefer Band of Brothers.)

"How wonderful it will be to have a leader unburdened by the twin horrors of knowledge and experience." -- Mr. Wick

#8 of 67 hampsteadbandit

hampsteadbandit

Stunt Coordinator

• 155 posts

Posted April 23 2010 - 06:54 AM

this is due in my postbox very soon, and I am very excited!!

its a film that is difficult to watch due to the brutality of the battle scenes - specifically the beach landing and final battle in the town / bridge

cannot wait to see this again, but in HD, I would imagine its even more harrowing!

I've been thoroughly enjoying "The Pacific" mini-series (up to ep. 6 so far), and also cannot wait to own that on HD-Blu-Ray

buying Band of Brothers on Blu-Ray was easily my best HD purchase, the difference in the viewing experience between the HD and my SD-DVD set was simply, stunning!!

#9 of 67 Robert Crawford

Robert Crawford

• 24,121 posts
  • LocationMichigan

Posted April 23 2010 - 11:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aaron Silverman 

(Taken as a whole, IMO Shakespeare in Love was a better movie. And it may not be fair to compare a 2-hour movie to a 10-hour series, but I much prefer Band of Brothers.)

You're right, it's not fair to compare a 2 hour movie to a 10 hour series.

Crawdaddy

Crawdaddy

#10 of 67 Ron-P

Ron-P

Producer

• 6,283 posts

Posted April 23 2010 - 02:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aaron Silverman View Post

IMO this movie is a fairly run-of-the-mill war flick with a classic opening sequence and a very good final battle (and spectacular production values).  

Agreed. I will give this rent at some point just to hear the lossess during the opening sequence but there's no way I could sit through the entire film again.

You have all the weapons you need...Now fight!

#11 of 67 WillG

WillG

Producer

• 5,213 posts

Posted April 23 2010 - 03:07 PM

Quote:
Yeah, that still pisses me off.

Quote:
 Easily the best war-film ever made
Interesting how you call SPR "easily" the best war film ever made, but your avatar is a picture of Kilgore /img/vbsmilies/htf/smile.gif

STOP HIM! He's supposed to die!

#12 of 67 Edwin-S

Edwin-S

Producer

• 5,557 posts

Posted April 23 2010 - 07:32 PM

SPR is a great film. As far as best war film, I would be inclined to say "All Quiet on The Western Front".
"You bring a horse for me?" "Looks like......looks like we're shy of one horse." "No.......You brought two too many."

#13 of 67 Robin9

Robin9

Screenwriter

• 1,728 posts

Posted April 23 2010 - 09:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron-P 

Agreed. I will give this rent at some point just to hear the lossess during the opening sequence but there's no way I could sit through the entire film again. 
That's my position too.

The idea that Saving Private Ryan is better than, for example, The Bridge On The River Kwai, Lawrence Of Arabia, Zulu, Zulu Dawn and Patton I find astonishing.

#14 of 67 Flemming.K

Flemming.K

Stunt Coordinator

• 76 posts

Posted April 24 2010 - 12:10 AM

I find Saving Private Ryan an entertaining war movie, build on a spectacular premise, almost always inhabiting Spielbergs scheme of storytelling. The first 45 minutes, acts as a study in stunning cinematography combined with the most important moment in Europe the last 100 years. The historic impact of such magnitude, none of us will ever truly comprehend. For that, I thank Spielberg and for that long intro sequence alone, combined with the moment at the end on the graveyard, where we truly understand the term "the greatest generation".

As a whole though, Spielberg doesn't succeed in bringing Saving Private Ryan to a higher level. The 90 minuttes in between are purely Band of Brothers excerpts, that doesn't possess the Spielberg touch, just ordinary filmmaking.

I treasure this, as a great intermission act, for the upcoming Thin Red Line, only compromised by a cast of too many movie stars.

Waiting impatiently for Sir Ridley Scotts Prometheus!

Danish filmsite Cinefil

#15 of 67 Robert Crawford

Robert Crawford

• 24,121 posts
  • LocationMichigan

Posted April 24 2010 - 12:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robin9 View Post

That's my position too.

The idea that Saving Private Ryan is better than, for example, The Bridge On The River Kwai, Lawrence Of Arabia, Zulu, Zulu Dawn and Patton I find astonishing.

Why do you find it astonishing?  Film appreciation is very subjective which is why I value film opinions different than mine because not everybody thinks the same way in regard to any particular film.

Crawdaddy

Crawdaddy

#16 of 67 Felix Martinez

Felix Martinez

Screenwriter

• 1,441 posts
  • LocationSouth Florida

Posted April 24 2010 - 01:00 AM

As much as I love Band of Brothers, if it wasn't for Saving Private Ryan, there would be no Band of Brothers.

I don't think SPR is *better* than the other classic war films mentioned in this thread - including the unmentioned Paths of Glory - in the same way that I don't think any individual "top" war film is better than the others on that kind of list.  But I think SPR does deserve a spot on that list.

The opening and closing sequences seem to overshadow many "moments" in the middle third that I personally treasure.  Whether it's the arrival of the chaplain to deliver bad news to a mother in that wonderfully framed tableau, the silent and purely visual scene where a secretary discovers an important piece of information and brings it to her superiors, the scene in the church, or the wait before the final confrontation in the village with the haunting refrains of music echoing through the streets, or even Hanks' emotional collapse as the stress becomes too unbearable, I just find this film exceptional on all levels.

Great to read that the Blu-ray will add another level of excellence to this experience.

#17 of 67 Robin9

Robin9

Screenwriter

• 1,728 posts

Posted April 24 2010 - 09:49 PM

Quote:

Why do you find it astonishing?  Film appreciation is very subjective which is why I value film opinions different than mine because not everybody thinks the same way in regard to any particular film.

Because I had never come across that idea before!

I am well aware that "film appreciation is very subjective" but that is hardly the point as I was not suggesting that other contributors should not express their opinions. I was exercising my right to express my opinion.

I can sit here and speculate that some eccentric somewhere will believe that Plan 9 From Outer Space is a better movie than Citizen Kane but that won't stop me being astonished if the idea is ever put to me.

#18 of 67 Robert Crawford

Robert Crawford

• 24,121 posts
  • LocationMichigan

Posted April 25 2010 - 12:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robin9 

Because I had never come across that idea before!

I am well aware that "film appreciation is very subjective" but that is hardly the point as I was not suggesting that other contributors should not express their opinions. I was exercising my right to express my opinion.

I can sit here and speculate that some eccentric somewhere will believe that Plan 9 From Outer Space is a better movie than Citizen Kane but that won't stop me being astonished if the idea is ever put to me.

Nobody is suggesting that any member can't express their opinion because expressed opinions is what this forum is all about.  However, I do find your last analogy in your bolded comment interesting because I hope you're not trying to compare Saving Private Ryan to the film quality of Plan 9 From Outer Space?  Film appreciation is subjective as you have acknowledged and everyone is welcome to their own opinion, but stated opinions can run counter to a generally accepted consensus of any film.

Crawdaddy

Crawdaddy

#19 of 67 Fritz Nilsen

Fritz Nilsen

Second Unit

• 384 posts

Posted April 25 2010 - 06:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edwin-S 

SPR is a great film. As far as best war film, I would be inclined to say "All Quiet on The Western Front".
May I also add a vote for "A midnight clear"? Anyone?

#20 of 67 Robin9

Robin9

Screenwriter

• 1,728 posts

Posted April 25 2010 - 04:45 PM

Quote:
However, I do find your last analogy in your bolded comment interesting because I hope you're not trying to compare Saving Private Ryan to the film quality of Plan 9 From Outer Space?  
No, of course not. I was using an extreme hypothesis to make the point that a reasonably open-minded person can still be startled by an opinion that contradicts everything he has come to believe and accept.

I don't think Saving Private Ryan is a bad movie. I just don't think it is a truly great one. I agree with the consensus that it has near the begining an exceptionally good battle sequence incorporating demonstration quality use of directional sound, and that everything that follows is a bit of a let-down and is not especially thought-provoking, moving or exciting.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: A Few Words About

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users