Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

MGM Press Release: MGM Offers New DVD + Blu-Ray Combo Collection

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
9 replies to this topic

#1 of 10 OFFLINE   Ronald Epstein

Ronald Epstein

Studio Mogul

• 40,571 posts

Posted April 21 2010 - 12:37 PM

Posted Image
MGM HOME ENTERTAINMENT 
OFFERS NEW DVD + BLU-RAY COMBO COLLECTION
The Terminator, RoboCop, Rocky and Hoosiers 
Among 16 Films Now Available
LOS ANGELES, Calif. (April 21, 2010) – Dive into the Blu-ray format with a new collection of favorite films offered as affordable DVD + Blu-ray Disc Combos from MGM Home Entertainment. Conveniently packaged in standard DVD cases, these combination sets will be available in the DVD section of retailers, enabling buyers the convenience of upgrading their library to high definition Blu-ray when they purchase these films on DVD.
MGM is the first studio to offer an assortment of DVD + Blu-ray combination sets, designed to provide a solution for consumers who already own or are planning to upgrade to a high definition television but still want the standard DVD for secondary television sets and other playback devices.
“We are excited to offer consumers the convenience and ease of upgrading their film libraries and ‘future-proofing’ their DVD collections to Blu-ray,” said Eric Doctorow, General Manager, MGM Worldwide at Fox. “Having the Blu-ray disc packaged with the DVD available in the DVD section exposes Blu-ray to a vast audience that will likely purchase a Blu-ray player in the future.”
Film fans can choose from popular action-adventures like The Terminator and RoboCop, cinema classics like The Graduate or favorites such as Road House andRocky.
DVD+BLU-RAY COMBOS INCLUDE:
Bulletproof MonkOut of Time
Bridge Too FarRoad House
The GraduateRoboCop
Hart’s WarRocky
HoosiersRollerball
IgorThe Terminator
Last WaltzThe Usual Suspects
Walking TallWindtalkers

About Metro-Goldwyn-Mayer Inc.
Metro-Goldwyn-Mayer Inc., through its operating subsidiaries, is actively engaged in the worldwide production and distribution of motion pictures, television programming, home video, interactive media, music and licensed merchandise. The company owns the world's largest library of modern films, comprising around 4,100 titles. Operating units include Metro-Goldwyn-Mayer Studios Inc., Metro-Goldwyn-Mayer Pictures Inc., United Artists Films Inc., MGM Television Entertainment Inc., MGM Networks Inc., MGM Domestic Networks LLC, MGM Distribution Co, MGM International Television Distribution Inc., Metro-Goldwyn-Mayer Home Entertainment LLC, MGM ON STAGE, MGM Music, MGM Worldwide Digital Media, MGM Consumer Products and MGM Interactive. In addition, MGM has ownership interests in international TV channels reaching nearly 120 countries. MGM ownership is as follows: Providence Equity Partners (29%), TPG (21%), Sony Corporation of America (20%), Comcast (20%), DLJ Merchant Banking Partners (7%) and Quadrangle Group (3%). For more information, visit www.mgm.com.
Twentieth Century Fox Home Entertainment, LLC (TCFHE) is a recognized global industry leader and a subsidiary of Twentieth Century Fox Film Corporation, a News Corporation company. Representing 75 years of innovative and award-winning filmmaking from Twentieth Century Fox, TCFHE is the worldwide marketing, sales and distribution company for all Fox film and television programming, acquisitions and original productions on DVD, Blu-ray Disc, Digital Copy, Video On Demand and Digital Download. The company also releases all products globally for MGM Home Entertainment. Each year TCFHE introduces hundreds of new and newly enhanced products, which it services to retail outlets from mass merchants and warehouse clubs to specialty stores and e-commerce throughout the world.

Ronald J Epstein
Home Theater Forum co-owner

Click Here for the latest/hottest Blu-ray Preorders  Click Here for our complete Blu-ray review archive

Click Here for our complete 3D Blu-ray review archive Click Here for our complete DVD review archive

Click Here for Blu-Ray Preorder Release Schedule  Click Here for forum posting rules and regulations

#2 of 10 OFFLINE   Nicholas Martin

Nicholas Martin

Screenwriter

• 2,683 posts

Posted April 21 2010 - 12:43 PM

I've seen these at Walmart for the past couple of weeks now, for only $10. It think they're putting off Blu-ray owners (like myself) by using DVD cases for these instead of Blu cases.

#3 of 10 OFFLINE   Scott Merryfield

Scott Merryfield

Executive Producer

• 10,656 posts
  • LocationMichigan

Posted April 21 2010 - 12:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronald Epstein 

MGM is the first studio to offer an assortment of DVD + Blu-ray combination sets, designed to provide a solution for consumers who already own or are planning to upgrade to a high definition television but still want the standard DVD for secondary television sets and other playback devices.
The first studio? Really?

#4 of 10 OFFLINE   Adam Gregorich

Adam Gregorich

Executive Producer

• 14,917 posts
  • LocationThe Other Washington

Posted April 21 2010 - 04:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nicholas Martin 

I've seen these at Walmart for the past couple of weeks now, for only $10. It think they're putting off Blu-ray owners (like myself) by using DVD cases for these instead of Blu cases.

I saw these at Costco for around $12.  I agree that I would like to see them in BD cases too.  I understand they they are being marketed toward DVD owners, but I wish I could buy DVD/BD versions of these films in Blu-ray cases too.

Quote:
The first studio? Really?
Technically I think Disney just offered it on Snow White, not on "an assortment". 

#5 of 10 OFFLINE   Scott Merryfield

Scott Merryfield

Executive Producer

• 10,656 posts
  • LocationMichigan

Posted April 21 2010 - 11:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam Gregorich 

Technically I think Disney just offered it on Snow White, not on "an assortment". 
What about the Toy Story films?

#6 of 10 OFFLINE   TravisR

TravisR

Studio Mogul

• 22,316 posts
  • LocationThe basement of the FBI building

Posted April 22 2010 - 12:52 AM

Disney has done it a number of times but I think they mean 'assortment' in the sense of more than just movies aimed at kids or families.

#7 of 10 OFFLINE   Stephen_J_H

Stephen_J_H

Producer

• 4,075 posts
  • LocationNorth of the 49th

Posted April 22 2010 - 04:17 AM

$9.83 @ Walmart in Canada, but Igor is not available here because of different rights holders (Alliance). There are also several Fox titles packaged in this series including Napoleon Dynamite, Speed, Predator, Commando and others. My personal peeve with this series is that Fox is using Viva EcoBoxes with a centre flip page holding the DVD. This packaging is cheap and flimsy and makes me want to huntdown a cover scan for Walking Tall (the only title I've bought so far) and put this in a BD double. Yes, they're that cheap.

"My opinion is that (a) anyone who actually works in a video store and does not understand letterboxing has given up on life, and (b) any customer who prefers to have the sides of a movie hacked off should not be licensed to operate a video player."-- Roger Ebert

#8 of 10 OFFLINE   Aaron Silverman

Aaron Silverman

Lead Actor

• 9,575 posts
  • LocationFlorida

Posted April 22 2010 - 04:23 AM

I'd consider buying Rocky if the included DVD has the special features from the SE DVD that weren't included on the BD, but I'm not holding my breath on that.

"How wonderful it will be to have a leader unburdened by the twin horrors of knowledge and experience." -- Mr. Wick

#9 of 10 OFFLINE   Professor Echo

Professor Echo

Screenwriter

• 1,570 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles

Posted April 22 2010 - 10:30 AM

I'm assuming that the versions of WALKING TALL and ROLLERBALL are the horrendous remakes and not the originals.  It would have been nice if MGM had seen fit to include that information in their press release, but my guess is that whomever wrote that has no idea there even WERE any other versions of those two movies besides the remakes.

#10 of 10 OFFLINE   Stephen_J_H

Stephen_J_H

Producer

• 4,075 posts
  • LocationNorth of the 49th

Posted April 23 2010 - 05:48 PM

There's also that MGM doesn't own the rights to the 1973 Walking Tall; Paramount does.

"My opinion is that (a) anyone who actually works in a video store and does not understand letterboxing has given up on life, and (b) any customer who prefers to have the sides of a movie hacked off should not be licensed to operate a video player."-- Roger Ebert