What's new

AVATAR Blu-ray Looks Amazing (1 Viewer)

Tino

Taken As Ballast
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Valentino
I was able to snag a copy of AVATAR on blu-ray early and I think it looks stunning!

I saw it in IMAX 3D a few times and the blu-ray is as close to that presentation as I have ever seen. Crystal clear images, almost 3D like (

cineMANIAC

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Luis
I never really paid any attention to the picture quality of movies shown theatrically and never thought to myself Wow, this looks great! while watching a movie in a theater so I'll never understand when people say things like "It looked as pristine as a first-run print" when reviewing a DVD/BD. I fully expect new films to look flawless on Blu-ray and don't buy the argument that leaving out supplements to make full use of disc space will yield better picture quality. Having said that I look forward to adding Avatar to my film collection!

cafink

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Carl Fink
Originally Posted by Luisito34

I fully expect new films to look flawless on Blu-ray and don't buy the argument that leaving out supplements to make full use of disc space will yield better picture quality.
Uh, which part don't you buy? That leaving out supplements leaves more disc space for the picture? Or that less compression actually yields better picture quality? There's certainly an argument to be made regarding the diminishing returns that set in after a certain point, and where that point is, but it seems pretty weird to suggest that more disc space for the movie won't improve picture quality.

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
Originally Posted by cafink

There's certainly an argument to be made regarding the diminishing returns that set in after a certain point, and where that point is, but it seems pretty weird to suggest that more disc space for the movie won't improve picture quality.
Of course, more space will yield a better picture but having some special features on the disc isn't going to tank the PQ either. Does anyone seriously think that the A/V quality on the SE will be compromised because there will be special features (presumably there will be at least a commentary and maybe multi-angle features) on the disc?

Tino

Taken As Ballast
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Valentino
Originally Posted by Luisito34 ">[/url]

I never really paid any attention to the picture quality of movies shown theatrically and never thought to myself Wow, this looks great! while watching a movie in a theater so I'll never understand when people say things like "It looked as pristine as a first-run print" when reviewing a DVD/BD. I fully expect new films to look flawless on Blu-ray and don't buy the argument that leaving out supplements to make full use of disc space will yield better picture quality. Having said that I look forward to adding Avatar to my film collection![/QUOTE]My point is that the IMAX viewings of AVATAR I saw were amazing and this Blu-ray transfer is as stunning as the IMAX print.

And while you may "expect new films to look flawless on blu-ray", few do. This one does.

Understand?

Tino

Taken As Ballast
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Valentino
Originally Posted by TravisR

Of course, more space will yield a better picture but having some special features on the disc isn't going to tank the PQ either. Does anyone seriously think that the A/V quality on the SE will be compromised because there will be special features (presumably there will be at least a commentary and maybe multi-angle features) on the disc?
Maybe they will split the SE onto 2 BD 50's to handle supplements and extra scenes. Similar to the TITANIC SE on SDVD.

mattCR

Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt
Mailman just delivered mine (in Kansas City!) looks like it was mailed yesterday. I'll look at it later tonight. :)

DVDvision

Screenwriter
Real Name
David
Got mine, it's the greatest blu-ray ever made. Anyone who have reservations about the PQ is a nutter. Audio is awesome too, Cameron Laserdisc reference quality (you know, not mp3 like on DVD).

mattCR

Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt
Just so people can understand this:
Good BD's have an average weighted bitrate around 22Mb. "Avatar" has an average weighted of about 34; peaks at over 40! (40.8), and never drops below 25. The DTS-MA track is also near perfect. with it's base rate at near 3.6Mb, high rate of 5.2!

Both of these absolutely press the boundaries of spec. People had wondered how to equate this, and they had shrugged off "superbit" comparison, but I don't know of any other way. There is no title released that I can think of that carries even close to the bitrate. And a large number of titles that we think of as "good" that are encoded at around 1/2 the bitrate.

I'll have to sit down and watch through it tonight, but it is a very bare.. but very high quality, production.

TheBat

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jacob
the only other title that I can think of is akira. it has a strong bitrate for trueHD at 192.

Jacob

FreyTheater

Stunt Coordinator
Amish Country - Lancaster County, Pennsylvania
Real Name
Troy Frey
Man, I'm chomping at the bit for my copy, I'm picking up my pre-ordered BD tomorrow over my lunch hour, and then I have a Movie Night showing right away tomorrow night in my projection theater for 8 people! Plus, three more showings over the next two weekends - so far! Almost everyone I know wants to come see this in my theater, I'm really gonna be putting a few hours on my projector bulb for this one!

Love to hear about the video quality of this film, I really like that they jacked up the video to the max on this release -- I could care less about extra features on a BD or DVD, I don't ever watch them anyway. I am very sensitive to BD image quality - the difference is extremely noticable when a BD is projected on a big screen. So, I am definitely not a fan of intentionally-added film grain to BDs, either.

Heck, I'm expecting this BD copy of Avatar to be as good as "dvdvision's HTF avatar"... lol!

Tino

Taken As Ballast
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Valentino
I'll be surprised if this doesn't get 5/5 across the board.

Adam Gregorich

What to watch tonight?
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Adam
Originally Posted by mattCR

Good BD's have an average weighted bitrate around 22Mb. "Avatar" has an average weighted of about 34; peaks at over 40! (40.8), and never drops below 25. The DTS-MA track is also near perfect. with it's base rate at near 3.6Mb, high rate of 5.2!

Both of these absolutely press the boundaries of spec. People had wondered how to equate this, and they had shrugged off "superbit" comparison, but I don't know of any other way. There is no title released that I can think of that carries even close to the bitrate. And a large number of titles that we think of as "good" that are encoded at around 1/2 the bitrate.

I'll have to sit down and watch through it tonight, but it is a very bare.. but very high quality, production.

Well put. Thanks for the breakdown.

Adam Gregorich

What to watch tonight?
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Adam
You guys are going to hate me by the end of the day for making an appearance in just about every Avatar thread, but Jon Landau the producer of Avatar and Titanic will be here for a chat on Tuesday 4/27 from 5-7 to discuss the film and Blu-ray release. Check out the HTF chat page for full details. If you are happy with the disc let him know, and if you want to hear about the upcoming special edition it would be worth attending!

Ron-P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ron

Awesome, thanks for the info. I would much rather have a high quality bare bones release then one packed with extras that I'll never watch.

HOLY SMOKES! Can't wait!

Anyone can say how much data it takes up on the disc?

So which scenes maxxed out the specs you mentioned? Sorry about geeking out on ya, my copy is still 2 days away. Thanks so much!

Tino

Taken As Ballast
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Valentino
A nice little bonus that the disc does have is the resume feature which remembers where you left off.

Well......it's somthing.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
thinksinc
Recent bookmarks