What's new

Sitcoms with 2 or more full seasons that are not on DVD (1 Viewer)

Neil Brock

Senior HTF Member
Since sitcoms seem to be the most popular genre for DVD releases (I prefer dramas myself), I thought it might be interesting to take a look at what popular sitcoms (those that ran at least 2 full seasons or more) have not seen a decent release on DVD. I don't count a few episodes on crappy PD releases nor Warner's "Fan Favorites" as decent. I also left out shows that were done predominantly live, such as Mama, which ran for years but only had the final 26 filmed. The list is from the 50s thru the 80s. Beyond that, I'll let someone else with better knowledge of the last 20 years take over. Here we go, broken down by ownership, to the best of my knowledge:

Universal: The Ray Milland Show, Hennesey, The Jack Benny Program, Bachelor Father, Love That Bob, House Calls, Amen, Major Dad

Sony: Burns and Allen, Farmer's Daughter, Dennis the Menace, Pete and Gladys, Temperatures Rising, Carter Country

Fox: Life of Riley, Ann Sothern Show, Private Secretary, Dobie Gillis, Ghost and Mrs, Muir, Nanny and the Professor, Arnie, Phyllis, The Tony Randall Show, 9 to 5, The Wonder Years

Warner: Mayberry RFD, Please Don't Eat the Daisies, Courtship of Eddie's Father, The Little People, The New Dick Van Dyke Show, Private Benjamin, Love, Sidney, It's A Living, Valerie (Hogan Family), My Sister Sam, Chico and the Man, Alice, Head of the Class, Just the Ten of Us

CBS/Paramount: The People's Choice, To Rome with Love, Amos and Andy (which we'll never see in our lifetime), Our Miss Brooks, December Bride, How to Marry a Millionaire, Car 54 Where Are You, Webster, Duet, Dear John

ABC/Touchstone: Empty Nest

ITC: The Gale Storm Show

Unknown Ownership/Possible PD: Beulah, The Stu Erwin Show, Topper, It's A Great Life, The Ray Bolger Show

Bert Greene

Screenwriter
What about "My Favorite Husband," with Barry Nelson and Joan Caulfield? Didn't it have two full seasons, along with an abbreviated 3rd, in which Vanessa Brown replaced Caulfield? I remember seeing one of the latter on an old Shokus Video compilation. Desilu show, I think (especially as Lucy starred in the radio version), so would it be wrong to assume it's part of the massive CBS/Paramount library?

Neil Brock

Senior HTF Member
Originally Posted by Bert Greene /forum/thread/299847/sitcoms-with-2-or-more-full-seasons-that-are-not-on-dvd#post_3681780
What about "My Favorite Husband," with Barry Nelson and Joan Caulfield? Didn't it have two full seasons, along with an abbreviated 3rd, in which Vanessa Brown replaced Caulfield? I remember seeing one of the latter on an old Shokus Video compilation. Desilu show, I think (especially as Lucy starred in the radio version), so would it be wrong to assume it's part of the massive CBS/Paramount library?
It was actually done live for all but the last season which was shot on film.

Neil Brock

Senior HTF Member
Originally Posted by Regulus /forum/thread/299847/sitcoms-with-2-or-more-full-seasons-that-are-not-on-dvd#post_3681742
You forgot one! - Julia - 20th Century Fox /img/vbsmilies/htf/laugh.gif
Yes, don't know how I missed that one. Another Fox show we'll never see.

Bert Greene

Screenwriter
Wow, I didn't realize that the first two-seasons of "My Favorite Husband" were live. I just assumed it was all filmed, like that 3rd-season example. You're a wealth of info, Neil!

JanuaryMan

Agent
Real Name
Robert
WKRP in Cincinnati (not decent)
Hangin' with Mr. Cooper
John Larroquette Show
Love & War
Nurses
Step by Step
Unhappily Ever After

MatthewA

BANNED
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matthew
Originally Posted by Neil Brock /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Yes, don't know how I missed that one. Another Fox show we'll never see.
We might see it as a Shout! Factory set with transfers that were good enough for UHF stations in 1983. If we're lucky they'll be uncut.

Duane Alford

Second Unit
Only ones I'm interested in:
1.Dennis The Menace (already mentioned)
2.The George Carlin Show
3.Herman's Head
4.Roc

6 other sitcoms that lasted one full season or less

LCD22

Screenwriter
Two Guys, a Girl, and a Pizza Place (aka Two Guys and a Girl) (with the original broadcast music)

Neil Brock

Senior HTF Member
Originally Posted by JanuaryMan /forum/thread/299847/sitcoms-with-2-or-more-full-seasons-that-are-not-on-dvd#post_3681959
WKRP in Cincinnati (not decent)
Hangin' with Mr. Cooper
John Larroquette Show
Love & War
Nurses
Step by Step
Unhappily Ever After
I only did up until 1989 so that's why those aren't on my list.

Neil Brock

Senior HTF Member
Originally Posted by TV_Fan /forum/thread/299847/sitcoms-with-2-or-more-full-seasons-that-are-not-on-dvd#post_3682210
Out Of This World 1897-1991 (Universal)
Hooperman 1987-1989 (Fox)
I thought about Hooperman but to me that was closer to a drama with comedic overtones than a comedy.

BobO'Link

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Howie
"Remember WENN" (and I don't think it would have music issues considering the time frame of the show)

Elena S

Supporting Actor
The one that really stymies me is why we haven't had a release for Empty Nest. The show was popular during its run, and it's a natural extension of the Golden Girls. I would snatch it up in a heartbeat.

bretmaverick2

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Tom Hunter
I could definately go for a release of EMPTY NEST. This was a show that my wife and I really enjoyed. As a matter of fact, we have commented that we are surprised it doesn't seem to be available on any of our cable stations and we don't remember it being syndicated. Although, we could easily be wrong on that point.

I would add SANFORD to the list. Had two seasons on NBC a couple of years after SANFORD AND SON was over. I just kinda expected it after S&S releases were done.

I would also add GET A LIFE from FOX, but from Brian Ward over at Shout!, it seems they have tried several times to secure the show and have not been able to.

I guess the last one that I would list would be MAKE ROOM FOR DADDY/THE DANNY THOMAS SHOW. While I know that some seasons have been released, weren't the first couple of seasons skipped over??? I say start at the beginning!!!

Neil Brock

Senior HTF Member
Originally Posted by bretmaverick2 /forum/thread/299847/sitcoms-with-2-or-more-full-seasons-that-are-not-on-dvd#post_3684801
I could definately go for a release of EMPTY NEST. This was a show that my wife and I really enjoyed. As a matter of fact, we have commented that we are surprised it doesn't seem to be available on any of our cable stations and we don't remember it being syndicated. Although, we could easily be wrong on that point.
I would add SANFORD to the list. Had two seasons on NBC a couple of years after SANFORD AND SON was over. I just kinda expected it after S&S releases were done.
I would also add GET A LIFE from FOX, but from Brian Ward over at Shout!, it seems they have tried several times to secure the show and have not been able to.
I guess the last one that I would list would be MAKE ROOM FOR DADDY/THE DANNY THOMAS SHOW. While I know that some seasons have been released, weren't the first couple of seasons skipped over??? I say start at the beginning!!!
Sanford didn't really run 2 full seasons. More like 2 half seasons and I think around 31 or so episodes.
The Thomas estate will never put out the early seasons of the show. Danny and Jean Hagen couldn't stand each other and he felt that they had absolutely no on-screen chemistry. The only seasons of the show that have even been seen since the late 60s are seasons 5 thru 9. The first 4 aired on NBC daytime in the early 60s and not since while the last 2 seasons have not been in the syndication package (if they ever were) for at least 40 years. Season 10, a few episodes are with Danny and Kathy in Europe and they aren't in the rest of the episodes, its just Charlie and Bunny and the kids. The 11th season, everyone is kind of going through the motions and as is typical of most shows, its a poor final year.

bretmaverick2

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Tom Hunter
Too bad the Thomas estate wouldn't allow the complete series (along with Make Room For Granddaddy) to be released.

Having only seen the few seasons that have been syndicated, and that not for many years, I would certainly be willing to buy the whole series.

Danny put together a great, if ever changing, cast on this show.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks