Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests to win things like this Logitech Harmony Ultimate Remote and you won't get the popup ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

*** Official KICK-ASS Discussion Thread

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
86 replies to this topic

#1 of 87 Jose Martinez

Jose Martinez

Screenwriter

• 1,113 posts

Posted March 15 2010 - 02:59 PM

After reading this review, I cannot wait to see this movie!

Warning, this review contains spoilers

http://movies.ign.com/articles/107/1076231p1.html

Live Free or DIE!!!!!

#2 of 87 mattCR

mattCR

Lead Actor

• 9,996 posts
  • LocationOverland Park, KS

Posted April 02 2010 - 04:35 PM

Now that's a good review.  I had email from a friend living in London who told me it's the best film they've seen this year.  That's good enough for me.  I'm there.

trakt.tv

Ask Me about HTPC! (Threads in HTPC / PMs always responded to)

This signature is povided by MediaBrowser 3 Trakt Plugin: Media Browser 3

#3 of 87 TravisR

TravisR

Studio Mogul

• 21,426 posts
  • LocationThe basement of the FBI building

Posted April 05 2010 - 10:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Christou View Post

And yes, Chloe Moretz as Hit-Girl steals the show, a foul-mouthed little girl...

Does Hit Girl use lots of bad words that start with the letter 'C'? Not that I need to hear profanity during a movie but I'm wondering if they keep her language close to the comic book version of the character or if they tone it down (somewhat) since American audiences might be a little sensitive to those words... especially when uttered by a child.

#4 of 87 Steve Christou

Steve Christou

Long Member

• 14,160 posts
  • LocationLondon, England

Posted April 05 2010 - 10:32 AM

Chloe uses the 'C' word once at the beginning and she says 'fuck' a few times and 'motherfuckers' later. But it's that C word that has people bothered here in the UK, apparently her mother insisted she say it, because the scene was more effective, and hilarious, with that word. The last thing you'd expect to hear coming out of a 12 year old girls mouth. The fact she kills a lot of people in the film, in nasty ways (chopping one guys leg off before stabbing him to death) doesn't bother people as much as her saying those words. /img/vbsmilies/htf/biggrin.gif

Dave hören... auf, wille stoppen sie Dave... stoppen sie Dave... Mein gehirn geht... Ich bin gefühl es... Ich bin gefühl es... Ich bin ängstlich Dave... Guter Nachmittag. Ich bin ein HAL 9000 computer. Ich wurde funktionsfähig am HAL-Betrieb in Urbana, Illinois auf January 12 1992.

Lord of the Hubs

#5 of 87 Edwin-S

Edwin-S

Producer

• 5,556 posts

Posted April 05 2010 - 11:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Christou 

The fact she kills a lot of people in the film, in nasty ways (chopping one guys leg off before stabbing him to death) doesn't bother people as much as her saying those words. /img/vbsmilies/htf/biggrin.gif

Foul language from a twelve-year old mouth is disturbing, but the commission of brutal acts of violence by the same twelve-year old are no big deal. It just shows how bizarre people's sensibilities can be. It is like the time I saw "Under Siege" on TV. The foul language was modified and the 20 second titty shot was cut completely, but every act of brutal violence was left intact. It just made me laugh at how stupid censorship can be.

"You bring a horse for me?" "Looks like......looks like we're shy of one horse." "No.......You brought two too many."

#6 of 87 Steve Christou

Steve Christou

Long Member

• 14,160 posts

Posted April 05 2010 - 11:37 AM

I know, it's crazy. Her vengeance-seeking father, played by Nic Cage, is a bad influence on the little girl, here's sample dialogue between the two, which had people laughing in the cinema -

Big Daddy: So... Have you thought a little more about what you might want for your birthday?

Hit-Girl: Can I get a puppy?

Big Daddy: You wanna get a dog?

Hit-Girl: Yeah, a cuddly fluffy one, and a Bratz movie-star make over Sasha! [laughs] I'm just fucking with you Daddy... I'd love a bench made model 42 butterfly knife!

Big Daddy: [relieved] Oh, child... You always knock me for a loop!

Dave hören... auf, wille stoppen sie Dave... stoppen sie Dave... Mein gehirn geht... Ich bin gefühl es... Ich bin gefühl es... Ich bin ängstlich Dave... Guter Nachmittag. Ich bin ein HAL 9000 computer. Ich wurde funktionsfähig am HAL-Betrieb in Urbana, Illinois auf January 12 1992.

Lord of the Hubs

#7 of 87 Craig_Ehr

Craig_Ehr

Second Unit

• 326 posts

Posted April 07 2010 - 04:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TravisR 

Does Hit Girl use lots of bad words that start with the letter 'C'? Not that I need to hear profanity during a movie but I'm wondering if they keep her language close to the comic book version of the character or if they tone it down (somewhat) since American audiences might be a little sensitive to those words... especially when uttered by a child.
Actually, she uses at least two that begin with the letter 'C' - one female-related and the other male.  I was at the Kick-Ass panel @ WonderCon this past weekend and Chloe Moretz, the actress who portrays Hit-Girl (aka Mindy Macready), appears to be simply the sweetest, cutest little girl you could meet.  It makes the role she plays that more shocking if anything (and hilarious to boot.)  She seems like a brilliant child actress with impeccable comedic timing (and I generally loathe child stars in cinema) - I definitely look foward to her future career in film.

#8 of 87 Aaron Silverman

Aaron Silverman

Lead Actor

• 9,375 posts
  • LocationFlorida

Posted April 07 2010 - 06:12 AM

Actually , I was kind of disturbed when I first saw clips of extreme violence involving the little girl.  Much more so than by any bad language.

I'll probably check out the movie at some point anyway, based on the good word-of-mouth.

"How wonderful it will be to have a leader unburdened by the twin horrors of knowledge and experience." -- Mr. Wick

#9 of 87 Don Solosan

Don Solosan

Supporting Actor

• 748 posts

Posted April 07 2010 - 09:26 AM

"Actually , I was kind of disturbed when I first saw clips of extreme violence involving the little girl.  Much more so than by any bad language."

Naw.  Little girl kicking ass to the Banana Splits theme?  Awesomeness!

#10 of 87 Don Solosan

Don Solosan

Supporting Actor

• 748 posts

Posted April 10 2010 - 04:11 PM

Mario, you might consider breaking this up into paragraphs, make it easier on the eyes.

#11 of 87 Steve_Tk

Steve_Tk

Screenwriter

• 2,833 posts

Posted April 12 2010 - 11:22 AM

I read some "parent groups" are boycotting this film because the 13 year old uses the C word.  Are you kidding me?  All I can say is HAHA.  Parent groups boycotting a, *gasp*, rated R movie??? Oh gee.  What is the world coming to when parents can't take their 10 year olds to see rated R movies?? The horror. 

#12 of 87 TravisR

TravisR

Studio Mogul

• 21,426 posts
  • LocationThe basement of the FBI building

Posted April 12 2010 - 12:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve_Tk View Post

I read some "parent groups" are boycotting this film because the 13 year old uses the C word.  Are you kidding me?  All I can say is HAHA.  Parent groups boycotting a, *gasp*, rated R movie??? Oh gee.  What is the world coming to when parents can't take their 10 year olds to see rated R movies?? The horror. 

Phew, I'm glad they informed me. Despite the R rating for "strong brutal violence throughout, pervasive language, sexual content, nudity and some drug use - some involving children", I was going to take my 4 year old daughter and her friends to see it this weekend but now I know better.

#13 of 87 Jeff Cooper

Jeff Cooper

Screenwriter

• 1,235 posts

Posted April 14 2010 - 06:35 AM

On a side note, every time I glance down the topic list and see this topic title, my mind automatically translates it to "Kiss-Ass".  /img/vbsmilies/htf/laugh.gif

-Jeff Cooper

"Curse you inspector Dim! You are too clever for us naughty people."

#14 of 87 Hanson

Hanson

Producer

• 4,389 posts

Posted April 14 2010 - 07:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve_Tk 

I read some "parent groups" are boycotting this film because the 13 year old uses the C word. 
It's just so hypocritical to me that these supposed moral watchdog groups use films like Kick-Ass to publicize their groups and in turn knowingly publicize the movie that they purportedly don't want anyone to see.  The producers of the movie are probably like, "thanks for the free publicity!  And thanks for taking the bait!"

Like I said, if they were smart, they wouldn't go after a smaller film like this.  But they're too enamored with seeing their names in the press to truly be concerned.

#15 of 87 JonZ

JonZ

Lead Actor

• 7,793 posts

Posted April 14 2010 - 07:46 AM

Supposedly the kid used both C words.

#16 of 87 Steve Christou

Steve Christou

Long Member

• 14,160 posts

Posted April 14 2010 - 07:55 AM

And the comic books were even more violent -  /img/vbsmilies/htf/smile.gif

Kick-Ass comic 1a.jpg

Lord of the Hubs

#17 of 87 todd s

todd s

Lead Actor

• 6,853 posts

Posted April 14 2010 - 08:56 AM

Quote:

And the comic books were even more violent -  /img/vbsmilies/htf/smile.gif

Posted Image

Wow, she must have dropped the ketchup.   /img/vbsmilies/htf/smiley_wink.gif

Bring back John Doe! Or at least resolve the cliff-hanger with a 2hr movie or as an extra on a dvd release.

#18 of 87 Robert Crawford

Robert Crawford

• 24,116 posts
  • LocationMichigan

Posted April 15 2010 - 02:21 AM

This thread is now designated the Official Discussion Thread for "Kick-Ass".  Please, post all comments, links to outside reviews, film and box office discussion items to this thread.

All HTF member film reviews of "Kick-Ass" should be posted to the
Official Review Thread.

Thank you for your consideration in this matter.

Crawdaddy

Crawdaddy

Blu-ray Preorder Schedule

#19 of 87 Aaron Silverman

Aaron Silverman

Lead Actor

• 9,375 posts
  • LocationFlorida

Posted April 15 2010 - 04:59 AM

Quote:

Chloe uses the 'C' word once at the beginning and she says 'fuck' a few times and 'motherfuckers' later. But it's that C word that has people bothered here in the UK, apparently her mother insisted she say it, because the scene was more effective, and hilarious, with that word. The last thing you'd expect to hear coming out of a 12 year old girls mouth. The fact she kills a lot of people in the film, in nasty ways (chopping one guys leg off before stabbing him to death) doesn't bother people as much as her saying those words.
That's kind of interesting, in that the 'C' word is much less of a big deal in the UK than in the US.

"How wonderful it will be to have a leader unburdened by the twin horrors of knowledge and experience." -- Mr. Wick

#20 of 87 Hanson

Hanson

Producer

• 4,389 posts

Posted April 15 2010 - 07:47 AM

Yeah, that's true.  Same with the word "twat" -- it's kind of minor league epithet in the UK, but in the US, it's much higher up the food chain.

OTOH, "shagged" wouldn't even get the FCC to raise an eyebrow in the US, but it's much more racy in the UK.  There were issues with the title, "The Spy Who Shagged Me" in the UK, requiring posters and ads with alternate titles.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users