Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

HTF DVD REVIEW: I Love Lucy: The Movie

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 of 5 OFFLINE   Matt Hough

Matt Hough

Executive Producer

• 12,356 posts
  • LocationCharlotte, NC

Posted April 14 2010 - 01:58 PM

#2 of 5 OFFLINE   EricSchulz

EricSchulz

Producer

• 4,525 posts

Posted April 15 2010 - 02:03 AM

Since I was one of those that supported the individual seasons as they were released, I am glad this "box set" extra is being released seperately.  I will definitely pick it up.

#3 of 5 OFFLINE   Joe Lugoff

Joe Lugoff

Screenwriter

• 2,082 posts

Posted April 15 2010 - 02:30 AM

Could someone who has seen this "movie" tell me something (which can be labeled as a spoiler)?

The reviewer says this:

"Five new sequences were filmed to connect the episodes into a feature film: the first serves as an introduction to the movie (which ingeniously explains why there was audience laughter on the soundtrack) ..."

I'm dying to know what the ingenious explanation is that explains why there was audience laughter on the soundtrack.

#4 of 5 OFFLINE   Timothy E

Timothy E

Supporting Actor

• 918 posts

Posted April 16 2010 - 06:57 AM

Originally Posted by Joe Lugoff 

Could someone who has seen this "movie" tell me something (which can be labeled as a spoiler)?

The reviewer says this:

"Five new sequences were filmed to connect the episodes into a feature film: the first serves as an introduction to the movie (which ingeniously explains why there was audience laughter on the soundtrack) ..."

I'm dying to know what the ingenious explanation is that explains why there was audience laughter on the soundtrack.

The movie is a show within the show with the studio audience being present as Desi plays Ricky, and so forth.  The original episodes (with audience laughter) are cut into bridging sequences filmed at Desilu which includes the introduction of the cast to the audience by Desi prior to filming of the show.  For those of us who never had the chance to see the show being filmed live, the bridging sequences are the next best thing for seeing what the studio and soundstage looked like in 1953. 
The bridging sequences were actually filmed a couple of years after the episodes were filmed (and the studio was on a different street from the original) but the bridging sequences create an illusion that it was filmed at the same time.

#5 of 5 OFFLINE   Larry.P

Larry.P

Stunt Coordinator

• 88 posts

Posted April 16 2010 - 08:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timothy E 
The bridging sequences were actually filmed a couple of years after the episodes were filmed (and the studio was on a different street from the original) but the bridging sequences create an illusion that it was filmed at the same time.

That's actually not quite true.  The bridge sequences were filmed in the May 1952 time frame,  just a few months after the last of the 3 episodes were filmed ("Breaking the Lease" was filmed on January 5, 1952).  If you watch Desi's audience warm-up, you can clearly see the set from "The Handcuffs" episode over where the kitchen set would normally be.  It is the set where they finally remove the handcuffs from Lucy and Ricky.  Although "The Handcuffs" aired in Season 2, it was a holdover from season 1.  It was filmed on May 16, 1952.  Thus, the bridging scenes were still on the original sound stage.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users