-

Photo
- - - - -

Universal's 2nd Wave of BR Flipper Disks

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
58 replies to this topic

#1 of 59 anime-fan

anime-fan

Auditioning

• 14 posts

Posted April 13 2010 - 08:33 PM

Just caught wind of this article that mentions Universal's second wave of Blu-ray titles and guess what? They're flipper disks:

Quote:
We're still not sure if those Jason Bourne DVD / Blu-ray combo discs went over well, but Universal is already gearing up its second go round of "flipper" combos with Out of Africa 25th Anniversary Edition, Traffic and The Jackal all set to arrive April 27. With $27 MSRP and sub-$20 pricing on Amazon there's not a huge price premium on these catalog releases, but unless they're personal favorites we're leaning towards waiting for their inevitable appearance in a bargain bin. Are there any among us who just have to have a little old and a little new all in one?

This is not good news. Out of Africa and The Jackal were two I was considering but I still refuse to purchase Universal releases until they stop using these flipper disks.

http://hd.engadget.com/2010/04/13/universals-back-with-more-dvd-blu-ray-flip-discs-later-this-m/

#2 of 59 Robert Crawford

Robert Crawford

Studio Mogul

• 24,540 posts
  • LocationMichigan

Posted April 14 2010 - 03:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by anime-fan View Post

Just caught wind of this article that mentions Universal's second wave of Blu-ray titles and guess what? They're flipper disks:

This is not good news. Out of Africa and The Jackal were two I was considering but I still refuse to purchase Universal releases until they stop using these flipper disks.

http://hd.engadget.c...s-later-this-m/

If you're in the minority with your objection then you won't have to worry about purchasing these titles as they won't stop using flipper discs if the majority likes them.

Crawdaddy

Crawdaddy

Blu-ray Preorder Schedule

#3 of 59 Eric Peterson

Eric Peterson

Screenwriter

• 2,959 posts

Posted April 14 2010 - 04:42 AM

Luckily for me there have been no titles on this format that have yet interested me.  In the meantime, I get to sit back and see how stable they are.  If after a year, there are few if any reports of problems, I will consider them.  Until them, consider me scared to death of this format.

#4 of 59 Greg_M

Greg_M

Screenwriter

• 1,193 posts

Posted April 14 2010 - 05:23 AM

Am I missing something? What's wrong with Flipper Discs?

#5 of 59 anime-fan

anime-fan

Auditioning

• 14 posts

Posted April 14 2010 - 05:42 AM

Blu-ray titles are mainly purchased by Blu-ray owners. If you have a Blu-ray player, why would you want a flipper disk that has a DVD on it? These releases should be two-disk sets with the Blu-ray on the first disk and the DVD on the second disk.

I just refuse to purchase them, which means that I'm effectively boycotting all Universal titles until they stop using these disks. I've been writing reviews on these flipper disks with the lowest score I can give them. Universal should have approached these disks the same way that Disney has. Disney has the DVD on a separate disk.

#6 of 59 TravisR

TravisR

Studio Mogul

• 21,842 posts
  • LocationThe basement of the FBI building

Posted April 14 2010 - 06:16 AM

I know this is one of those issues that has to go through the same arguments every few months but isn't there a thread for this topic already?

#7 of 59 cafink

cafink

Producer

• 3,034 posts

Posted April 14 2010 - 06:25 AM

Quote:

Universal should have approached these disks the same way that Disney has.
Why?

#8 of 59 anime-fan

anime-fan

Auditioning

• 14 posts

Posted April 14 2010 - 06:29 AM

I couldn't find one and this was was posted due to the article I linked to. At any rate, Universal just doesn't get it ... double sided disk are bad and why ram the DVD format down the throat of consumers who only want the Blu-ray. 

#9 of 59 cafink

cafink

Producer

• 3,034 posts

Posted April 14 2010 - 06:56 AM

Quote:

double sided disk are bad
Why?

#10 of 59 Michael Reuben

Michael Reuben

Studio Mogul

• 21,769 posts

Posted April 14 2010 - 07:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by anime-fan 

I couldn't find one and this was was posted due to the article I linked to.

Here's one of the previous threads:

http://www.hometheat...lipper-discs/30

Here's another:

http://www.hometheat...d-flipper-discs

Here's a third:

http://www.hometheat...als-combo-disks

COMPLETE list of my disc reviews.       HTF Rules / 200920102011 Film Lists

#11 of 59 Jason Charlton

Jason Charlton

Screenwriter

• 2,903 posts
  • LocationBaltimore, MD

Posted April 14 2010 - 07:20 AM

Quote:

I've been writing reviews on these flipper disks with the lowest score I can give them.
I didn't realize there was a community of folks who literally rated "digital media".  Most of the reviews I read focus on the quality of the audio and video presentation contained on the physical media.

While I find that concept fascinating, I think I'll pass on your "reviews" and stick to the ones that provide information on aspects of the disc that I actually care about - namely presentation and cost.

Are you new to the Home Theater Forum? Stop by the New Member Introductions area and introduce yourself! See you there!

#12 of 59 Jesse Blacklow

Jesse Blacklow

Screenwriter

• 2,049 posts

Posted April 14 2010 - 07:28 AM

Quote:

Blu-ray titles are mainly purchased by Blu-ray owners. If you have a Blu-ray player, why would you want a flipper disk that has a DVD on it? These releases should be two-disk sets with the Blu-ray on the first disk and the DVD on the second disk.
So there should be releases with the DVD version...but not releases with the DVD version? You've managed to contradict yourself within the same post. As they say: Truly, you have a dizzying intellect.

Quote:

At any rate, Universal just doesn't get it ... double sided disk are bad and why ram the DVD format down the throat of consumers who only want the Blu-ray. 
We eagerly await the multitude of data points from consumers saying they only want the Blu-ray and feel that the DVD is being "rammed down their throats." I mean, they must exist, because you're claiming it as fact.

"Would I rather be feared or loved? Um...easy, both. I want people to be afraid of how much they love me."
--Michael Scott, The Office

"When I get sad I just stop being sad and be awesome instead. True story."
--Barney Stinson, How I Met Your Mother

#13 of 59 Andrew Pierce

Andrew Pierce

Stunt Coordinator

• 187 posts
  • LocationMinneapolis

Posted April 14 2010 - 07:54 AM

Hey, I have blu and appreciate also getting the DVD -- I loan my disks out to others ("You haven't seen _____?! Really?! Lets fix that!") and having the DVD helps when most people don't have Blu.

Also, the DVD plus some realily available freeware is all the 'digital copy' I need to load the disc onto whatever portable device I want, and one that's not all DRMed to hell, tied to specific devices and not going to stop working at some date in the future.

So yeah, I want the Blu but the DVD version has some value to me as well.

#14 of 59 Douglas Monce

Douglas Monce

Producer

• 5,514 posts

Posted April 14 2010 - 08:44 AM

Quote:

I have a blu-ray player. I also have many DVD players including a portable player. Having a blu-ray with a DVD on the back side means I don't have the buy that particular movie twice, once on blu-ray and once on DVD.

Doug

"I'm in great shape, for the shape I'm in."
Bob Hope in The Ghostbreakers

#15 of 59 Douglas Monce

Douglas Monce

Producer

• 5,514 posts

Posted April 14 2010 - 08:46 AM

Quote:

At any rate, Universal just doesn't get it ... double sided disk are bad and why ram the DVD format down the throat of consumers who only want the Blu-ray. 
I'm not sure I understand this statement. I've never had a problem with a double sided disc. I think they are perfectly fine.

Doug

"I'm in great shape, for the shape I'm in."
Bob Hope in The Ghostbreakers

#16 of 59 PaulDA

PaulDA

Screenwriter

• 2,578 posts
  • LocationSt. Hubert, Quebec, Canada

Posted April 16 2010 - 09:48 AM

I've never had any trouble with my "flipper" DVDs and HD DVDs--can't see them being a big problem for BD.  I'd rather have two discs but it's not a deal breaker by any stretch.
Never try to teach a pig to sing. It wastes time, and it annoys the pig.

#17 of 59 Adam Gregorich

Adam Gregorich

Executive Producer

• 14,762 posts
  • LocationThe Other Washington

Posted April 16 2010 - 10:19 AM

I still haven't had any problem with the Bourne discs, and I look forward to being able to retire my Jackal and Out of Africa DVDs.  Have been waiting for Jackal on BD for a long time.  I know there was a lot of talk about the HD DVD transfer of Traffic.  Curious to see what Kevin says when he reviews the BD.

#18 of 59 Mark-P

Mark-P

Screenwriter

• 2,271 posts
  • LocationCamas, WA

Posted April 16 2010 - 10:43 AM

I must say, the tantrums some people throw over the release of double-sided blurays reminds me of something. Oh wait, I can't bring that up because it involves politics.

#19 of 59 Matt Hough

Matt Hough

Executive Producer

• 11,120 posts
  • LocationCharlotte, NC

Posted April 16 2010 - 02:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam Gregorich 

I still haven't had any problem with the Bourne discs, and I look forward to being able to retire my Jackal and Out of Africa DVDs.  Have been waiting for Jackal on BD for a long time.  I know there was a lot of talk about the HD DVD transfer of Traffic.  Curious to see what Kevin says when he reviews the BD.
Same here. I've played each of the Bourne Blu-rays at least a half dozen times on a variety of Blu-ray machines, and they've played perfectly each time.

#20 of 59 Kevin EK

Kevin EK

Screenwriter

• 2,781 posts

Posted April 16 2010 - 07:50 PM

I had no problems with the Bourne flippers, and I noted that in my reviews of those.

I am now moving on to the three upcoming flippers, and I'll let you know. 

I am on the lookout for the picture issue with Traffic, and I'm looking forward to the funniest Jack Black scene of his career in The Jackal.