-

Photo
- - - - -

Netflix signs with Fox and Universal, for 28-day BD delay...

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
10 replies to this topic

#1 of 11 David Wilkins

David Wilkins

Supporting Actor

• 823 posts

Posted April 12 2010 - 05:02 AM

Per High-Def Digest, Netflix has signed an additional deal with Fox and Universal, to add their BD releases to the 28-day delay program. Deal gives Netflix added streaming content. Link, below.

http://www.highdefdigest.com/news/show/Fox/Netflix/Universal/Netflix_Signs_with_Fox_and_Universal__Adds_28_Day_Blu-ray_Delay/4527 

#2 of 11 Bill Buklis

Bill Buklis

Supporting Actor

• 516 posts
  • LocationChicago, IL

Posted April 12 2010 - 09:12 AM

Well, it's good for streaming, but bad for rentals. I can see why the studios would want this. But, honestly, it really isn't going to effect me too much. I don't mind waiting an extra month to see something. For that matter, I usually end up waiting at least that long anyway as I work my way through my queue. I have plenty of things to watch in the mean time. My queue is over 200 titles as it is.
Check out my Flickr stream. Join the HTF Flickr Pool.

#3 of 11 Johnny Angell

Johnny Angell

Producer

• 5,207 posts
  • LocationCentral Arkansas

Posted April 12 2010 - 09:55 AM

I'm close to canceling netflix.  I don't like this.  My neighbor has the Sony PS3 is it?  He's shown me streaming from netflix on his HD screen.  At least half the movies he browsed thru were not available in HD.  The HD he showed me was hardly better than SD.  At the moment, based on that experience, I don't see Netflix streaming as a good alternative.

You know, it's bad enough seeing all the long wait, very long wait, and "forgedda 'bout it" in the que.  I'm not paying $15+ a month  just so they can add another 30 days to the wait.

I personally see this as degrading their service.  But that's just MHO.

Johnny
www.teamfurr.org
But a family cat is not replaceable like a wornout coat or a set of tires. Each new kitten becomes its own cat, and none is repeated. I am four cats old, measuring out my life in friends that have succeeded but not replaced one another.--Irving Townsend

#4 of 11 Michael Elliott

Michael Elliott

Lead Actor

• 7,129 posts
  • LocationKY

Posted April 12 2010 - 11:07 AM

This doesn't bother me.  If I really want to see something I'll go to the theater.  If I don't mind missing the theater and waiting four months, an additional 28-days isn't going to kill me.

#5 of 11 Bill Buklis

Bill Buklis

Supporting Actor

• 516 posts
  • LocationChicago, IL

Posted April 14 2010 - 04:42 AM

I'm not much of a fan of streaming either. I tried it a couple of times and I wasn't impressed. Bandwidth just isn't even close yet to get decent quality. I much prefer seeing it on Blu-Ray (and with the special features), then on less than DVD quality streaming.

For the average Joe, streaming is fine as they don't care much about image quality in the first place.

As for the delay. Big deal. There are plenty of things to watch to keep me busy in the mean time.

#6 of 11 Brandon Conway

Brandon Conway

Lead Actor

• 7,149 posts
  • LocationNorth Hollywood, CA

Posted April 14 2010 - 05:09 AM

When it comes to rentals my picture quality barometer is much, much lower. Thereby, streaming to the PS3 (or on my computer) is an acceptable alternative. If I like the film enough I will then purchase the best quality DVD/Blu-ray. Add to it that I rarely rent new releases, especially early on, and these deals don't really effect me at all.

"And now the reprimand, from an American critic. He reproaches me for using film as a sacred & lasting medium, like a painting or a book. He does not believe that filmmaking is an inferior art, but he believes, and quite rightly, that a reel goes quickly, that the public are looking above all for relaxation, that film is fragile and that it is pretentious to express the power of one's soul by such ephemeral and delicate means, that Charlie Chaplin's or Buster Keaton's first films can only be seen on very rare and badly spoiled prints. I add that the cinema is making daily progress and that eventually films that we consider marvelous today will soon be forgotten because of new dimensions & colour. This is true. But for 4 weeks this film [The Blood of a Poet] has been shown to audiences that have been so attentive, so eager & so warm, that I wonder after all there is not an anonymous public who are looking for more than relaxation in the cinema." - Jean Cocteau, 1932

#7 of 11 Douglas Monce

Douglas Monce

Producer

• 5,514 posts

Posted April 14 2010 - 08:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Buklis 

I'm not much of a fan of streaming either. I tried it a couple of times and I wasn't impressed. Bandwidth just isn't even close yet to get decent quality. I much prefer seeing it on Blu-Ray (and with the special features), then on less than DVD quality streaming.

For the average Joe, streaming is fine as they don't care much about image quality in the first place.

As for the delay. Big deal. There are plenty of things to watch to keep me busy in the mean time.
To me the HD streaming on Netflix is far superior to a standard def DVD.

Doug

"I'm in great shape, for the shape I'm in."
Bob Hope in The Ghostbreakers

#8 of 11 AaronMK

AaronMK

Supporting Actor

• 768 posts
  • LocationOrlando, FL

Posted April 24 2010 - 05:39 PM

Agreed, far superior to a standard def DVD, but still far inferior to a blu-ray.

#9 of 11 Douglas Monce

Douglas Monce

Producer

• 5,514 posts

Posted April 24 2010 - 07:05 PM

Well sure, its only 720p at this point. Soon it is supposed to be 1080p.

Doug

#10 of 11 Bill Buklis

Bill Buklis

Supporting Actor

• 516 posts
  • LocationChicago, IL

Posted April 26 2010 - 08:19 AM

I didn't know they had any HD streaming content. Of course, it has been a while since I last actually tried and it may also have been my selection, but so far I'd only seen less than DVD quality.

I find it hard to believe it could ever (at least not any time soon) get to Blu-Ray quality. At 1080p the bandwidth requirements would be incredible. I'm sure the compression rate is a lot higher than on disc. Still, I wouldn't mind it to catch up on some TV content I may have missed from first airing.

#11 of 11 Douglas Monce

Douglas Monce

Producer

• 5,514 posts

Posted April 26 2010 - 03:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Buklis 

I didn't know they had any HD streaming content. Of course, it has been a while since I last actually tried and it may also have been my selection, but so far I'd only seen less than DVD quality.

I find it hard to believe it could ever (at least not any time soon) get to Blu-Ray quality. At 1080p the bandwidth requirements would be incredible. I'm sure the compression rate is a lot higher than on disc. Still, I wouldn't mind it to catch up on some TV content I may have missed from first airing.
You'd be surprised how low the bit rate can go with a modern codec (VC-1 or AVC) and still maintain quality. I've encoded some stuff I've shot around 8 mb and it is almost indistinguishable from the same material encoded at 25 mb

I'm not sure you get HD content streaming on the computer, but you do on the PS3 and X-Box 360.

Doug