Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

Petition for Harry O to be Released on DVD

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
186 replies to this topic

#161 of 187 OFFLINE   Randy Korstick

Randy Korstick

Screenwriter

• 2,446 posts

Posted February 05 2013 - 03:36 AM

Yes good news on Season two. I haven't finished Season 1 yet but will definately be getting season 2 on the next sale. I have a strong feeling this is going to be a great year for Warner Archive with classic TV.
...When you eliminate the impossible whatever remains, no matter how improbable, must be the truth

Top 20 Films

#162 of 187 OFFLINE   Neil Brock

Neil Brock

Screenwriter

• 2,116 posts

Posted February 05 2013 - 06:04 AM

Comparing it to the better-looking CBS/Paramount releases like Mannix & Hawaii Five-O etc., it doesn't look as good, since it isn't (to my knowledge) remastered for high definition. These are old prints. Like the FBI and Medical Center prints, there's some variation in quality. Like I said, it's not terrible, like the worst Timeless series, but it's not going to be a demo disc for how good an old TV show can look on a modern TV. I still recommend it!

Which is why I don't use a "modern TV". Unless you are watching new shows or pristine remasters of old shows, its going to look like **** stepped on with a gigantic, HD, 16x9 television. Since I don't watch a great deal of new television and since pristine remasters are the exception rather than the norm, I'll stick with tube sets for as long as I can.

#163 of 187 OFFLINE   AndyMcKinney

AndyMcKinney

Screenwriter

• 1,978 posts
  • LocationKentucky, USA

Posted February 05 2013 - 06:17 AM

I'll stick with tube sets for as long as I can.

To each his own. I replaced my 32" tube with a 52" LCD panel last year (after putting a60" one in the basement the year before) and haven't regretted it once. The only stuff that looks "bad" is some old, off-air VHS stuff, but even that stuff doesn't look too bad from an acceptable viewing distance (and, being honest, that stuff didn't look all that great on the tube anyway). I don't think LCD panels make old stuff "look worse", it's just that remastered and HD stuff looks so much better by comparison (than it would if it was being beamed to a SD tube) that is the real shock to people. And, being able to watch all my imported PAL material in native PAL format without having to have an ugly, in-player standards conversion to NTSC is a light-year leap forward!

#164 of 187 OFFLINE   Neil Brock

Neil Brock

Screenwriter

• 2,116 posts

Posted February 05 2013 - 06:44 AM

Yes good news on Season two. I haven't finished Season 1 yet but will definately be getting season 2 on the next sale. I have a strong feeling this is going to be a great year for Warner Archive with classic TV.

It would be great if they released their television library at the same pace as their old movies. They're still sitting on a ton of stuff from the 50s and 60s: 77 Sunset Strip, Hawaiian Eye, Surfside 6, Bourbon Street Beat, The Alaskans, Colt 45, Roaring 20s, Bronco, Sugarfoot, Lawman, The Dakotas, Warner Brothers Presents/Conflict, King's Row, Casablanca, No Time For Sergeants, Mr. Roberts, Hank, Cain's Hundred, Mr. Novak, Eleventh Hour, Sam Benedict, Asphalt Jungle, Jericho, Maya, Hondo, Man Called Shenandoah, Travels of Jamie McPheeters, Father of the Bride, National Velvet, Northwest Passage, Dr. Kildare, Harry's Girls, the whole Lorimar library.

#165 of 187 OFFLINE   Sky Captain

Sky Captain

Second Unit

• 284 posts

Posted February 05 2013 - 06:53 AM

And, being able to watch all my imported PAL material in native PAL format without having to have an ugly, in-player standards conversion to NTSC is a light-year leap forward!

How do you do that, and with what kind of DVD player?

#166 of 187 OFFLINE   hypnohighball

hypnohighball

Stunt Coordinator

• 156 posts
  • LocationBattle Ground, Washington

Posted February 05 2013 - 08:04 AM

I just ordered Harry O season #2 from Warner Archives. I can't wait for a sale to save $10! :D

#167 of 187 OFFLINE   dhammer

dhammer

Second Unit

• 310 posts

Posted February 05 2013 - 09:49 AM

I want it and will get it but $49 and change--no way. What a rip off. I'll wait till it comes down.

#168 of 187 OFFLINE   Rick Thompson

Rick Thompson

Supporting Actor

• 909 posts

Posted February 05 2013 - 09:53 AM

I ordered it. This one's worth the premium cost.

#169 of 187 OFFLINE   dhammer

dhammer

Second Unit

• 310 posts

Posted February 05 2013 - 11:56 AM

I usually can't wait. But I am tired of some of these studios overcharging for a set. Fifty bucks for a season set. Warner Archives has released a lot of great movies and shows but they make you pay top dollar. Maybe it has to do with MOD thing?

#170 of 187 OFFLINE   JMas

JMas

Stunt Coordinator

• 100 posts

Posted February 05 2013 - 02:42 PM

I wonder if early orderers will get pressed copies like we did for Season 1, or if there will only be burned DVD-Rs for Season 2.

#171 of 187 OFFLINE   DeWilson

DeWilson

Screenwriter

• 1,998 posts

Posted February 05 2013 - 03:05 PM

It would be great if they released their television library at the same pace as their old movies. They're still sitting on a ton of stuff from the 50s and 60s: 77 Sunset Strip, Hawaiian Eye, Surfside 6, Bourbon Street Beat, The Alaskans, Colt 45, Roaring 20s, Bronco, Sugarfoot, Lawman, The Dakotas, Warner Brothers Presents/Conflict, King's Row, Casablanca, No Time For Sergeants, Mr. Roberts, Hank, Cain's Hundred, Mr. Novak, Eleventh Hour, Sam Benedict, Asphalt Jungle, Jericho, Maya, Hondo, Man Called Shenandoah, Travels of Jamie McPheeters, Father of the Bride, National Velvet, Northwest Passage, Dr. Kildare, Harry's Girls, the whole Lorimar library.

You forgot THE THIN MAN :)

#172 of 187 OFFLINE   Neil Brock

Neil Brock

Screenwriter

• 2,116 posts

Posted February 05 2013 - 03:10 PM

You forgot THE THIN MAN :)

Indeed I did!

#173 of 187 OFFLINE   hypnohighball

hypnohighball

Stunt Coordinator

• 156 posts
  • LocationBattle Ground, Washington

Posted February 05 2013 - 04:25 PM

I wonder if early orderers will get pressed copies like we did for Season 1, or if there will only be burned DVD-Rs for Season 2.

That's another reason I went ahead and ordered, to be sure of it.

#174 of 187 OFFLINE   BrianHass

BrianHass

Stunt Coordinator

• 63 posts

Posted February 06 2013 - 01:22 AM

I was hoping they were going to include the pilot film, Smile Jenny, You're Dead, so we wouldn't have to buy that one seperately.

#175 of 187 OFFLINE   Randy Korstick

Randy Korstick

Screenwriter

• 2,446 posts

Posted February 06 2013 - 02:22 AM

I usually can't wait. But I am tired of some of these studios overcharging for a set. Fifty bucks for a season set. Warner Archives has released a lot of great movies and shows but they make you pay top dollar. Maybe it has to do with MOD thing?

Not really as Paramount apparently just increased Gunsmoke to $50.00 a half season or $100.00 a season. In both cases its best to wait for discounts which for Gunsmoke is already available of course online but we're still going to be paying $10.00 a set more than Season 1-7. Mannix retails for $49.99 as well. Warner archive is always having sales so just wait a bit if price is a concern. Season one was just $25% off 2 weeks ago
...When you eliminate the impossible whatever remains, no matter how improbable, must be the truth

Top 20 Films

#176 of 187 OFFLINE   AndyMcKinney

AndyMcKinney

Screenwriter

• 1,978 posts
  • LocationKentucky, USA

Posted February 06 2013 - 05:11 AM

How do you do that, and with what kind of DVD player?

The biggest obstacle is finding a TV that has multi-system capabilities, because US TV sets capable of such a feat rarely, if ever, mention it in their documentation. I just did some online research and some practical, in-store research with a multi-system DVD player (one of the older Philips models that is NTSC/PAL/MULTI selectable). Just about any store I walked into was willing to let me hook my player up to test (why turn away a potential sale?). What I've found is that it's mostly down to brand. US models of Panasonic and Samsung are notorious for not being compatible with PAL or 1080i/50. I think it's pretty much company policy for these two brands to lock-out foreign refresh rates. On the other hand, brands like Vizio, Philips, LG and Sony are PAL-friendly, on component and HDMI connections (among the models I tested) and Sharp is PAL compatible on all A/V inputs except the tuner (yes, it's even PAL-compatible on composite, so if you have a PAL VCR, you can play back your old VHS tapes without using a standards converter). --- The other half of the equation is having a player that won't force a standards conversion in the machine. "Newer" Philips machines (all models after the 5140, such as the 5182, 5990, etc) force a conversion to NTSC, unless you have hacked firmware. However, even a hack won't give you PAL output if you use the HDMI connection (the player then forces a downconversion to NTSC before upscaling to HD). If you use Component, however, you're okay. What I did was get an Oppo BDP-83. You just set your output to MULTI and that way, your NTSC stuff plays natively, and your PAL and 1080i/50 stuff plays natively, too. I'm sure there are cheaper players that will also output native PAL through HDMI, but the Oppo has superior DVD upscaling anyway and I didn't already have a blu-ray player, so it was a no-brainer for me.

#177 of 187 OFFLINE   The Obsolete Man

The Obsolete Man

Screenwriter

• 1,207 posts
  • LocationTruth or Consequences, New Mexico

Posted February 06 2013 - 05:41 AM

That's another reason I went ahead and ordered, to be sure of it.

Ordering late doesn't necessarily mean you'll get a burned set instead of pressed. I ordered Night Court S6 a good 6 or 7 months after release, and got a pressed set. And I would guess Night Court is one of the more popular series from the Archives. /doesn't mean I didn't order S8 early, just to be sure.

#178 of 187 OFFLINE   younger1968

younger1968

Screenwriter

• 2,347 posts

Posted February 10 2013 - 12:29 AM

It is good to see Harry O is now complete. I have the series on my agenda, but not until the price comes down. I have to order the set from amazon.com and it is too expensive. I am wondering if this means we could see O'Hara Treasury Agent as well. David Jansens was an amazing talent!!

#179 of 187 OFFLINE   Neil Brock

Neil Brock

Screenwriter

• 2,116 posts

Posted February 10 2013 - 04:09 AM

It is good to see Harry O is now complete. I have the series on my agenda, but not until the price comes down. I have to order the set from amazon.com and it is too expensive. I am wondering if this means we could see O'Hara Treasury Agent as well. David Jansens was an amazing talent!!

Why would you assume that? O'Hara is owned by Universal, not Warner Brothers.

#180 of 187 OFFLINE   younger1968

younger1968

Screenwriter

• 2,347 posts

Posted February 10 2013 - 04:20 AM

Why would you assume that? O'Hara is owned by Universal, not Warner Brothers.

Ne The focus is on David Janssen as such i was hoping who own rights for O'Hara Treasury Agent would look at that show being released.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users