Petition for Harry O to be Released on DVD

• Please log in to reply
186 replies to this topic

#41 of 187 OFFLINE   exliontamer

exliontamer

Agent

• 36 posts

Posted April 16 2011 - 09:12 AM

I also preferred the San Diego-set episodes, and liked Quinlan somewhat more than Trench. Janssen and Zerbe seemed to get a big kick out of playing off each other, though, and Trench's assistant/sidekick, Detective Roberts (Paul Tulley), had great chemistry with both of them, so it was still good fun.

As for "Elegy for a Cop," I never quite understood why the producers saw fit to kill Quinlan off, and the episode itself is my least favorite of the series. Janssen has some nice moments and Darrow plays it beautifully, but Harry and Manny never actually meet in "Elegy," so the cobbled-together quality is obvious (the scenes grafted on from the original pilot just add to the messiness and confusion).

All in all it's a great, unique show, so I'm happy to see it (or some of it, at least -- I have a feeling Warner Archives is only going to release the pilots) on DVD at last.

"Stay glued to your TV set."

#42 of 187 OFFLINE   HenryDuBrow

HenryDuBrow

Screenwriter

• 1,276 posts

Posted April 16 2011 - 10:24 AM

Wow, that'd sure be a bit of a blow if so, what makes you think they're only going with the pilots Mark? Maybe they're just testing the interest that way first but that sure would be a grave disappointment to many still, and it's worth noting they are releasing The Yellow Rose as well so fingers crossed, plus this archive thing desperately needs to be more than a mere (TV) movie releaser and like their regular DVD releases. I do wish of course they'd given it a true DVD release as I think it would perfectly warrant it too; not a long running show, its positive reputation/cult status, Janssen's big name and Farrah's to boot. How could that possibly go anything but well.

#43 of 187 OFFLINE   exliontamer

exliontamer

Agent

• 36 posts

Posted April 16 2011 - 10:49 AM

Pure conjecture, Henry, mostly just to lower my expectations so that I'm not too disappointed if the whole series doesn't get released. Something in the way that Facebook comment is phrased, too, makes me suspicious. But I'll be really, really happy if I'm wrong.

#44 of 187 OFFLINE   66KIMBLE

66KIMBLE

Stunt Coordinator

• 81 posts

Posted April 16 2011 - 12:53 PM

I vaguely recall Warner Home Video releasing one of the pilots on VHS almost 25 years ago. I hope Mark is wrong too.

#45 of 187 OFFLINE   WaveCrest

WaveCrest

Producer

• 4,103 posts

Posted April 17 2011 - 04:26 AM

A fair point made about the possibility of just the first or both pilots being released by Warner Archive. I think when you've been waiting so long for a much requested TV series to get a DVD release, that when the first bit of news comes along you jump at the thought of it being a season set, not realising it could just be the pilots being released.

#46 of 187 OFFLINE   HenryDuBrow

HenryDuBrow

Screenwriter

• 1,276 posts

Posted April 17 2011 - 07:52 AM

Well, that they have released things like Falcon Crest and other shows coming as well gives me hope it's a series release and not just a pilot release. Would pilot releases alone even make any sense? I don't know, unless there's some sort of rights problem with the rest. But the 'paying a visit' line I don't think we should necessarily read too much into, if you've been to their online chats it's the same lingo info small talk. Places on the web where people had uploaded episodes no longer have them up, so they've been pulled there which is hopefully a good sign but all we can do is wait.

#47 of 187 OFFLINE   WaveCrest

WaveCrest

Producer

• 4,103 posts

Posted April 18 2011 - 05:11 AM

A bit of useless trivia about Harry O (source: book The Complete Directory to Prime Time Network and Cable TV Shows 1946-1999). Harry O was shown in the 10 pm - 11 pm timeslot on Thursday nights on ABC. This applies to both seasons (it wasn't moved to another timeslot during it's original run between 1974 and 1976). It didn't break the Top 30 overall season ratings during it's two season run.

Harry O's competition at the start of the 1974-75 season:

10 pm - 11 pm:

CBS: CBS Thursday Night Movie (second hour)

NBC: Movin' On.

Harry O's competition at the start of the 1975-76 season:

10 pm - 11 pm:

CBS: CBS Thursday Night Movie (second hour)

NBC: Medical Story.

#48 of 187 OFFLINE   exliontamer

exliontamer

Agent

• 36 posts

Posted April 18 2011 - 03:02 PM

Originally Posted by HenryDuBrow 

Well, that they have released things like Falcon Crest and other shows coming as well gives me hope it's a series release and not just a pilot release. Would pilot releases alone even make any sense?

Henry, you've got my hopes up all over again.

My suspicion that this might just be a pilot (or pilots) release is in line with WaveCrest's, but it's also based on what WA did with the Then Came Bronson pilot and the fact that Smile Jenny, You're Dead has something of a reputation apart from the series. We'll find out sooner or later; in the meantime, does anyone else consider that one the lesser of the two pilots, as I do? I'm grateful it sold the show, but tonally and otherwise it's generic and not nearly as satisfying as Such Dust as Dreams Are Made On.

#49 of 187 OFFLINE   HenryDuBrow

HenryDuBrow

Screenwriter

• 1,276 posts

Posted April 19 2011 - 12:55 AM

I see your point now, yes. To be honest I've always felt it's strange that Smile Jenny has this stand alone reputation, to me it's always been more like just a two part episode (albeit a lesser story too as it is) but I suppose its feel is somewhat different in the more usual TV thriller sense. Its traditional approach doesn't really represent the mood of the show where Harry's the center focus of attention, I'd very much agree with you on that. Now you've lowered my hopes with the Bronson reminder, is that show planned? Posted Image I'm also wondering how they'd promote Smile Jenny alone, would it be that title (with no connection to the series) or would Harry figure. Questions, questions. They know of course that many people want the show, so a pilot I wonder what basic audience they'd have in mind there with just that. I like Andrea Marcovicci too and maybe there's a big fan of hers at WAC, seeing they've also released Cry Rape.

#50 of 187 OFFLINE   Mr. Pacino

Mr. Pacino

Second Unit

• 346 posts

Posted April 21 2011 - 08:35 PM

Yesterday, I´ve seen an episode for the first time(in German).

It was the first pilot episode "Such Dust as Dreams are made on". In German it was a 75 minute pilot episode. Maybe it was a cut version, I don´t know.

The episode was good. Highlight was the motorcycle chase where David Janssen chased "bad guy" Sal Mineo.

Today I´m gonna watch the second pilot episode "Smile Jenny, you´re Dead" which is a 85 minute episode(in Germany).

It´s strange that the series had two different pilot episodes....-very unusual, I think.

#51 of 187 OFFLINE   Rick Thompson

Rick Thompson

Supporting Actor

• 895 posts

Posted April 22 2011 - 01:34 AM

"Smile Jenny" is, in my opinion, more like the series became than "Such Dreams." You were seeing the laconic humor in "Smile" that you didn't see in "Such." I would guess that "Smile" got made because "Such" didn't show much potential as a series unless there were some changes made. "Smile" showed the changes and "Harry O" went to series. Side note: I'm surprised no one has mentioned the appearance of a very young Jodie Foster, a little before she did her "Paper Moon" series with Christopher Connelly.

#52 of 187 OFFLINE   HenryDuBrow

HenryDuBrow

Screenwriter

• 1,276 posts

Posted April 22 2011 - 01:59 AM

There were some good guest stars, a young Kurt Russell reunited again with Janssen about ten years after their Fugitive episodes. Or to become star Anne Archer twice, or three future WKRP stars; Mr. Carlson, Johnny Fever and Jennifer. And Mel Stewart a decade before Scarecrow & Mrs. King was a bit of a regular, as was Tom Atkins (Lt. Quinlan era). Loads of other more famous names too, of course.

#53 of 187 OFFLINE   exliontamer

exliontamer

Agent

• 36 posts

Posted April 22 2011 - 04:52 AM

I forgot about Tom Atkins's recurring role, Henry -- another casualty of the location change who I hated to see go. As for guest stars, there's also Stefanie Powers as a phony psychic (she overdoes it a bit, to Janssen's apparent amusement), Bernie Kopell, Kathleen Lloyd (a couple of times), and Susan Strasberg. My favorite, though, is Jeanette Nolan in "The Last Heir"; she's funny and has great chemistry with Janssen, and the episode itself makes a nice, unofficial bridge between the San Diego and L.A. episodes (if I'm remembering right).

I also forgot about Jodie Foster in Smile, Jenny, Rick. Her character is most like the people who pop into Harry's life in the series to me. The main thread, with Andrea Marcovicci, seems like a stock movie-of-the-week plot, and while Marcovicci is gorgeous, she's also hammy and self-absorbed. Janssen is more engaged in Such Dust, too. Just my opinion -- I actually like both pilots, if only because it makes for that much more Harry O.

#54 of 187 OFFLINE   WaveCrest

WaveCrest

Producer

• 4,103 posts

Posted April 22 2011 - 09:35 AM

Thinking of the possibilities with how Warner Archive will begin with Harry-O (I'm thinking in the optimistic sense, thinking all of the series will get released on DVD)....they might release the first half of the first season, or the whole of the first season, skipping the two pilots. Hope not.

#55 of 187 OFFLINE   66KIMBLE

66KIMBLE

Stunt Coordinator

• 81 posts

Posted April 22 2011 - 01:10 PM

Another David Janssen release I'm impatiently waiting for from 1973 (shortly before the Harry-O pilots) is "He Who Digs A Grave".This is the third season premiere of CANNON with William Conrad .David is the special guest star in a two hour episode featuring many guests ranging from Anne Baxter,Barry Sullivan,and Murray Hamilton. The plot features a twist on Janssen's Kimble persona with David's character accused of murder.The pairing with Conrad is a nice touch of Fugitive past.                                                                                                                                                                                                                                        The last chapter of Cannon released on DVD was Season Two Vol 2 over a year ago!!!!!!                                                 

#56 of 187 OFFLINE   HenryDuBrow

HenryDuBrow

Screenwriter

• 1,276 posts

Posted April 23 2011 - 02:50 AM

Me too, that's the one we'll see first when or if they (CBS) release Cannon's third season. Since the Harry O series is what people want basically, I think it's okay or safe-ish to assume it's what they also meant by saying Harry O in the WAC answer and not simply Smile Jenny or anything else, could be it'll be included in a two part episodic format which would be smart actually. The first season had another two-parter as well. Wonder if they'll be using syndicated versions though, just yesterday watched the great Material Witness episode with Barbara Anderson where Harry's protecting her from Mob hitmen, it's oddly cut off at the end when Harry gets off a bus and it has Tom Atkins in the credits but he's not in it.

#57 of 187 OFFLINE   Berkshires

Berkshires

Stunt Coordinator

• 92 posts

Posted April 26 2011 - 05:07 AM

Smile Jenny You're Dead will be released on May 3.

http://www.wbshop.co...cgid=ARCHIVEPRE

"Miss Garbo should be kept away from the bed entirely." - Joseph L. Breen

#58 of 187 OFFLINE   HenryDuBrow

HenryDuBrow

Screenwriter

• 1,276 posts

Posted April 26 2011 - 05:13 AM

Don't know what to make of that, other fans here think it's a good sign for the series later? Hope so, naturally. Recently everything visual Harry O related found on the web was removed as far as I can tell, same for The F.B.I., so what we make of all that I guess is anybody's guess. Sad if it should remain unseen that's for sure as I can't spot any purpose in that, but I'll be getting this TV movie of course and keep fingers crossed for more.

#59 of 187 OFFLINE   Mr. Pacino

Mr. Pacino

Second Unit

• 346 posts

Posted April 26 2011 - 09:58 AM

Why do they only release the pilot?

Will they ship to Europe or only within the USA?

#60 of 187 OFFLINE   Rick Thompson

Rick Thompson

Supporting Actor

• 895 posts

Posted April 26 2011 - 11:08 AM

I guess I should have known better than to think they'd release the series. Guess they want to make sure all the "alternate source" providers don't go out of business. My off-the-air recording of "Smile Jenny" is pretty good, so I don't know if I'll bother with this.  It's the regular series episodes from off-air and 16mm prints that are pretty crummy. Those are what I want. Should have known that Warner would cheap out on us.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users