What's new

Petition for Harry O to be Released on DVD (1 Viewer)

Fredbloggs

Auditioning
Real Name
Winifred
On the recent Live Chat with Warner Brothers they said there were no plans to release Harry O on DVD at the moment.

There are numerous scam websites and others selling poor quality DVDs which indicate there is a demand for Harry O on DVD.

I have created an online petition to send to Warner Brothers. If you would like to support it you can do that here http://www.ipetitions.com/petition/harryo/ Please feel free to pass this on to any friends you think would like to support it, post it onto fan sites, forums etc. The more support the better!

Many thanks

WinifredSubmit

DeWilson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Denny
Petition DON'T Work - especially on line ones! The studios and "powers that be" arn't going to care if a few hundred,or even few thousand people sign one.

They know the interest in each and every one of the titles they own. Just because there are *ahem* copies going around doesn't mean there's ENOUGH interest to release a particular series.

Everyone has a favorite show or movie that won't be "offically" coming out on DVD,or BD anytime soon and that's just a fact of this hobby.

Sure there's a SLIM chance HARRY O could get a release in the Warner Archive, but a petition isn't going to sway that from hapeening,either.

HenryDuBrow

Screenwriter
Real Name
Henry.
Of course it means there's enough interest with a (petition) indication like this, how else would they know what to release or not or would they prefer people all wrote them in hand. Besides, surely studios don't just gamble on titles in the pot or throw darts at a board. Yes, they know many of their shows are popular that's why they probably do follow that certain *ahem* thing, at least I read they do so I don't see how signing can hurt.

Also, the archive thing (as I read it) is primarily for less popular titles which I wouldn't really say this show in question is, it's just its bad luck it's Warner and not Universal or Paramount. So I can't see why the chance is slim about an archive release when they said 'no plans yet' about the real discs, but in both cases it could happen since a lot of TV fans didn't see Scarecrow and Mrs. King coming and it did.

MattHR

Screenwriter
I'd love to see Harry O on DVD, but I also think its chances are slim. Farrah Fawcett appeared in several episodes, so that's as good a marketing hook as they're probably going to get. With the DVD market/economy the way it is, and the number of shows left to be released, I'm at the point of accepting "best of" sets...if that's what it would take to make some of them available, as opposed to nothing.

HenryDuBrow

Screenwriter
Real Name
Henry.
Best-ofs, hmm, not from the archive at least. I don't see the point there when fans already have it off TV, these best-of things sell notoriously bad I believe, though if it did well I'm sure they'd pay attention. Farrah fans might be excited about this show too, but the big draw's Janssen whose strife with police superiors (S1's Henry Darrow and S2's Anthony Zerbe) surpasses most such detective/cop relationships in the annals of television.

DeWilson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Denny
I say write the studios - a real letter,NOT an email would make a bigger impact than a Petition.

It may not make much of a difference,but one letter in hand is worth more than a name on a petition - it takes effort.

HenryDuBrow

Screenwriter
Real Name
Henry.
Nothing wrong with that way, how about we all write them wouldn't that be something wild. /img/vbsmilies/htf/rock.gif I think it's more our money studios are interested in, less the effort of a letter where any reply if at all would be a short standard one typed. I think they choose by other factors and are really more interested in knowing is there even a broader fan interest in a title or not, and petitions serve that cause, not saying that letters don't help.
I bet in the case of Scarecrow that's how they knew of an interest, same with Falcon Crest, some fans may have sent letters though most likely signed. But of course I don't know for sure, studios are very secretive, writing and signing both probably is a good idea if you want something bad enough.

mustang

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
patrick
While i Share Your Frustration With Our Favourate Shows Not Being Released Onto DVD a Petition Or Any Other Form Of Communication To Warner Bros Is a Complete Waste Of Time.It Has Been Done Before With Other Warner Bros Shows And Nothing Has Happened.About 3 Or 4 Years Ago It Was Brought To Warner Bros Attention That Bootleggers (Those People Who Sell Cheap And Nasty Copys Of TV Series Shows) Were Making a Fortune,So Warners Said They Would Release More TV Shows And Guess What Happened NOTHING.

DeWilson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Denny
We vote with our dollars when they release a title for them to release additional volumes, but if they don't release what we want to buy,then how can we vote? :)

bmasters9

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ben Masters
Originally Posted by DeWilson /img/forum/go_quote.gif
We vote with our dollars when they release a title for them to release additional volumes, but if they don't release what we want to buy,then how can we vote? :)
That's what I've been thinking about "CHiPs." I thought that by my purchase of the #2 release of that one week after its release, surely Warner would have known that I and other fans of that series wanted more of it because we were enjoying it. Unfortunately, that doesn't seem to be the case.

mustang

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
patrick
Originally Posted by HenryDuBrow /img/forum/go_quote.gif
What about the show(s) mentioned, what made them decide there.
I Have No Idea How They Decide What TV Shows To Put Onto DVD And i Will Bet Neither Does Anybody Else,Who Knows What Makes Them Tick.Maybe Thats a Question That Should Have Been Asked At The Forum,But i Suppose If It Had Been Asked They Would Have Given Some Vague Answer.I Think The Best Way To Go With Any Warner Bros Shows Is To Send Petitions,Emails Etc To Shout, Maybe They Might Listen To The Public And Release Some Of The TV Shows That Have Fairly Strong Support.

WaveCrest

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Richard
Would Harry O be a realistic suggestion for the Warner Archive Collection?

Rick Thompson

Screenwriter
Originally Posted by WaveCrest
Would Harry O be a realistic suggestion for the Warner Archive Collection?
Actually, it's the only one I'd pay the price for MOD that Warner is charging. The FBI might have been, but not at what they're charging, and nothing else on TV MOD interests me at all. For Harry O, I'd pay that price. The show is that good.

HenryDuBrow

Screenwriter
Real Name
Henry.
I bet it's some sort of rights issue(s) preventing it from coming out, or maybe it's just its past misfortune to be a Warner show rather than a Universal but it probably is that first suggestion. There's been some speculation maybe the Janssen estate co-owns it, but I thought that was only the O'Hara, U.S. Treasury (1971-72) show which incidentally is Universal. In any case, it's a terrible waste indeed as it's one of the great unsung detective shows of the '70s and if they ever figure it out a proper normal DVD release would be greatly appreciated and much deserved anyway, although MOD obviously would have to do as second possibility for us hungry fans.

Ethan Riley

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ethan Riley
There's only about 40 episodes; wouldn't be too terrible as a pair of MODs. I'd buy it on Day One--

Rick Thompson

Screenwriter
Actually it's 44 hour-longs plus the two pilots, "Such Dust as Dreams Are Made of" (parts of which were incorporated into "Elegy for a Cop" where Manny Quinlan was killed off) and "Smile Jenny You're Dead."

younger1968

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
paul young
It would be nice to see this show released, but i remember and it was mentioned earlier about WB not having any plans for Harry O release. I think there are several shows in the archives that it would be neat to see released. I just not holding my breath as the years go by then there will be less interest in classic shows. The new shows will get more attention as the now generation will want these shows.

Berkshires

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Bob
Looks like the petition was successful. Warner Archive posted on their Facebook page on Monday that Harry O will be available soon.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks