Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests to win things like this Logitech Harmony Ultimate Remote and you won't get the popup ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo

Weekly Roundup 4-13-2010

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
32 replies to this topic

#1 of 33 Mike Frezon

Mike Frezon

Studio Mogul

• 28,775 posts
  • LocationRensselaer, NY

Posted April 10 2010 - 04:02 PM

Posted Image

The Features

Posted Image
– Phillip Seymour Hoffman (Pirate Radio – 2009)

Posted Image
– Tom Hanks (Apollo 13 – 1995)

Posted Image
–The Great Mouse Detective– 1986

Posted Image
–Marcela Nohynkova & Meri Roth (Blessed is the Match: The Life and Death of Hannah Senesh – 2008)

Posted Image
–Robert Englund (A Nightmare on Elm Street– 1984)

The Prices
Posted Image
Click on the Amazon price to buy from Amazon and support HTF
SD-DVD TITLE Amazon BestBuy Target Costco
8 1/2 (CC) $14.99http://www.assoc-amazon.com/e/ir?t=hometheaterforum-20&l=ur2&o=1"> $14.99    
2010 Winter Olympics in Vancouver $19.99    
Alias Smith and Jones: Seasons 2 & 3 $44.99    
The Beatniks $14.99    
Blessed is the Match: Life & Death of Hannah Senesh $24.99    
Brief Encounter (CC) $14.99    
Crazy on the Outside (Target Exclusive)     $10.00  
Dallas: Season 13 $34.99    
Defendor $19.99    
Emergency: Season 6 $34.99    
Essential Art House: Volume 5 (CC) $89.99    
Floating Weeds (CC) $14.99    
Gone With the Wind: Scarlett Edition $34.99    
Gone With the Wind: The Making of a Legend $12.99    
The Great Mouse Detective $14.99 $14.99  
Haunted $24.99    
Jules & Jim (CC) $14.99    
Kapo (CC) $14.99    
Loves of a Blonde (CC) $14.99    
A Nightmare on Elm Street Collection $24.99    
The Oregon Trail $44.99    
Pirate Radio $19.99 $19.99 $18.99
The Slammin' Salmon $19.99    
Stoic $14.99    
Tenderness $19.99    
Three Kingdoms: Resurrection of the Dragon $19.99    

M-G-M DVD-Rs (Released 4-15-10) $17.99      
[See list below.] $19.98      
BLU-RAY TITLE Amazon BestBuy Target Costco Apollo 13 (15th Anniversary Edition) $18.99http://www.assoc-amazon.com/e/ir?t=hometheaterforum-20&l=ur2&o=1"> $19.99     Crazy on the Outside (Target Exclusive)     $19.99   Gone With the Wind: Scarlett Edition $39.99     A Nightmare on Elm Street                                     $24.99     Pirate Radio $29.99 $22.99   The Slammin' Salmon $20.99    
(CC) after a title = New release in the Criterion Collection.

Individual Titles in the Collections Listed Above:

A  Nightmare on Elm Street Collection  (DVD):  A Nightmare on Elm Street, ANoES 2: Freddy's Revenge, ANoES 3: Dream Warriors, ANoES 4: The Dream Master, ANoES 5: The Dream Child, Freddy's Dead: The Final Nightmare, Wes Craven's The New Nightmare, Freddy vs. Jason.

Essential Art House: Volume 5 (CC) (DVD):  8 1/2, Brief Encounter, Kapo, Floating Weeds, Jules & Jim, Loves of a Blonde.

The Disclaimer Standard disclaimer: All prices are taken from the websites of each chain, or from their printed Sunday advertisements. All prices are subject to change by each chain. Prices and inventory in-store may or may not match the website price.

I, obviously, cannot include EVERY title released in a given week in the RoundUp. The titles included are those that I am interested in...as well as those which I consider will be of interest to a majority of consumers (and sometimes I’ll miss one!). I don't get paid for this, and I don't have the time to list every DVD. So, please don't complain! If there is a title not included in the RoundUp that you want to see, PLEASE just look it up yourself, and be nice enough to post and share the results with everyone!

Note that I cannot include Wal-Mart/Sam’s Club prices in the RoundUp. They set prices at individual stores based on nearby competition, so there is no way I can say here what price you'll find at YOUR local Wal-Mart/Sam’s Club location. And, Circuit City is still out of business...even in Hawaii (where they NEVER guaranteed their prices anyway).

The Specials

--Amazon has the following M-G-M DVD-Rs for sale (as of April 15):

$17.99: 
The Best Man, The Glory Guys, Fitzwilly, The Offence,   The Whisperers, The Caretakers, Valentino, Garbo Talks, Wicked Stepmotherhttp://www.assoc-amazon.com/e/ir?t=hometheaterforum-20&l=ur2&o=1">.

$19.98: 

--Best Buy has disparate prices on Pirate Radio in its flyer ($29.99) and at BestBuy.com ($23.99).

--Best Buy is advertising pre-orders of Avatar at BestBuy.com/Avatar.   Available 4-22 on Blu-ray and DVD.

--Best Buy has the following Blu-ray titles on sale:

$19.99:  The Hurt Locker, Law Abiding Citizen, Boondock Saints II: All Saints Day, Zombieland, Up In the Air, Old Dogs, Couples Retreat, Fantastic Mr. Fox, The Princess and The Frog, Alvin and the Chipmunks: The Squeakquel.

--Best Buy is also advertising some TV on DVD catalog titles.

--Best Buy Odds and Ends:  A list of DVDs for $3.99 apiece.

--Target this week has an EXCLUSIVE RELEASE of Crazy on the Outside on both DVD and Blu-ray.  Only at Target!  Crazy on the Outside, Tim Allen's latest comedy and directorial debut, also starring Sigourney Weaver and Ray Liotta.  Includes: behind-the-scenes interviews, film-making bloopers, digital copy.

--The following Blu-rays are on sale @ Target for $22.99 (also DVDs for $16.99):  Astro Boy, Precious, Fantastic Mr. Fox, Armored, The men Who Stare at Goats, Capitalism: A Love Story, Brothers, Where the Wild Things Are.

--Target also has a FREE $5 GIFTCARD with the purchase of The Twilight Saga: New Moon (Blu-ray/DVD Combo Pack) and another select title:  Astro Boy, BandSlam, Twilight in Forks. Offer good through May 1.

--Target Odds and Ends: A list of $4.75 & $10 DVDs.

#2 of 33 Patrick Sun

Patrick Sun

Studio Mogul

• 37,625 posts

Posted April 10 2010 - 04:04 PM

Best Buy on sale DVD items:

$3.99 each:
American Pie 2
Bowfinger
Chucky
Chronicles of Riddick
What Dreams May Come

TV On DVD

$19.99 each:
The Big Bang Theory season 2
Gossip Girl season 2
Two and a Half Men season 6
Flash Forward season 1 part 1

$24.99 each:
Glee season 1 volume 1
It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia season 4
Nurse Jackie season 1
Breaking Bad season 2

$29.99 each:
The Simpsons season 23
Sons of Anarchy season 1

$34.99:
30 Rock season 3
True Blood season 1

Blu-ray:

$19.99 each:
The Hurt Locker
Law Abiding Citizen
The Boondock Saints II: All Saints Day
Zombieland
Up In The Air
Old Dogs
Couples Retreat
Fantastic Mr. Fox
The Princess And the Frog
Alvin and the Chipmunks: The Squeakquel

---------

Target on sale DVD items:

$4.75 each:
Edward Scissorshand
Elmo Grouchland?
Stuart Little
Stuart Little 2

$10 each:
He's Not That Into You
Observe and Report
Marley & Me
Land of the Lost (2009)

$16.99 each:
Armored
The Men Who Stare at Goats
Capitalism: A Love Story
The Fantastic Mr. Fox
Precious
Brothers
Astro Boy
Where the Wild Things Are

$10:
Crazy on the Outside

Blu-ray:

$22.99 each:
Armored
The Men Who Stare at Goats
Capitalism: A Love Story
The Fantastic Mr. Fox
Precious
Brothers
Astro Boy
Where the Wild Things Are

"Jee-sus, it's like Iwo Jima out there" - Roger Sterling on "Mad Men"
Patcave | 2006 Films | 2007 Films | Flickr | Comic-Con 2012 | Dragon*Con 2012

#3 of 33 Bill Thomann

Bill Thomann

Supporting Actor

• 581 posts

Posted April 10 2010 - 04:32 PM

Thanks for the Roundup.  Just Great Mouse Detective for me (first dvd I've bought since I went blu last Thanksgiving).  Don't see it getting a blu ray release anytime in the foreseeable future.  Seems everybody's price is around $15.   Walmart.com has it for $11.86.  Do they pm their own website?   If not I can do a site to store order.   If there was something else I needed I'd get it at Amazon but nothing to get to $25 for free shipping.

#4 of 33 Mike Frezon

Mike Frezon

Studio Mogul

• 28,775 posts
  • LocationRensselaer, NY

Posted April 10 2010 - 04:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Thomann 

If there was something else I needed I'd get it at Amazon but nothing to get to $25 for free shipping.
C'mon Bill.  You can try harder than that!  /img/vbsmilies/htf/wink.gif

There's Jessie the yodeling cowgirl. Bullseye, he's Woody's horse. Pete the old prospector. And, Woody, the man himself.Of course, it's time for Woody's RoundUp. He's the very best! He's the rootinest, tootinest cowboy in the wild, wild west!

HTF Rules | HTF Mission Statement | Father of the Bride

Dieting with my Dog & Heart to Heart/Hand in Paw by Peggy Frezon

#5 of 33 Adam Gregorich

Adam Gregorich

Executive Producer

• 14,619 posts
  • LocationThe Other Washington

Posted April 10 2010 - 05:15 PM

The most tempting thing for me this week is the Hurt Locker on sale.  Nothing new is calling my name, at least not until I read the reviews.  I know Kevin is just about ready to post Apollo 13.  We haven't received the BD of Pirate Radio yet.

#6 of 33 Adam Gregorich

Adam Gregorich

Executive Producer

• 14,619 posts

Posted April 10 2010 - 05:15 PM

And thanks as always Mike!

#7 of 33 Mike Frezon

Mike Frezon

Studio Mogul

• 28,775 posts
  • LocationRensselaer, NY

Posted April 10 2010 - 05:22 PM

Does anyone know?  Are those M-G-M DVD-Rs on amazon April 15 connected with the Warner Archive Program?  /img/vbsmilies/htf/confused.gif

I've never seen anything listed on amazon like that in their new release listings.

There's Jessie the yodeling cowgirl. Bullseye, he's Woody's horse. Pete the old prospector. And, Woody, the man himself.Of course, it's time for Woody's RoundUp. He's the very best! He's the rootinest, tootinest cowboy in the wild, wild west!

HTF Rules | HTF Mission Statement | Father of the Bride

Dieting with my Dog & Heart to Heart/Hand in Paw by Peggy Frezon

#8 of 33 Adam Gregorich

Adam Gregorich

Executive Producer

• 14,619 posts

Posted April 10 2010 - 05:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Frezon 

Does anyone know?  Are those M-G-M DVD-Rs on amazon April 15 connected with the Warner Archive Program?  /img/vbsmilies/htf/confused.gif

I've never seen anything listed on amazon like that in their new release listings.

Its MGMs version of the Archive Program

#9 of 33 Bill Thomann

Bill Thomann

Supporting Actor

• 581 posts

Posted April 10 2010 - 05:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Frezon 

C'mon Bill.  You can try harder than that!  /img/vbsmilies/htf/wink.gif">
Well, I could order it with Armageddon blu (preorder for 4-27) but then I'd have to wait a couple more weeks.   Otherwise nothing really coming up.  Trying not to double dip on blu for titles I own on dvd unless they're non anamorphic (like Armageddon).   But you're right I will try harder.

#10 of 33 Guest__*

Guest__*

Posted April 10 2010 - 05:52 PM

The Great Mouse Detective for me. First time it has been released with its original, unaltered title on home video!

#11 of 33 Timothy J Wolfe

Timothy J Wolfe

Stunt Coordinator

• 198 posts

Posted April 10 2010 - 08:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric Scott Richard 

The Great Mouse Detective for me. First time it has been released with its original, unaltered title on home video!
What was changed in the titles on the other releases?

#12 of 33 Robert Crawford

Robert Crawford

• 24,147 posts
  • LocationMichigan

Posted April 10 2010 - 10:59 PM

Originally Posted by Adam Gregorich 

Its MGMs version of the Archive Program

Also, you need to be careful with the MGM titles because unlike Warner's Archive Program, not all the MGM titles are in their OAR. 

Crawdaddy

Crawdaddy

Blu-ray Preorder Schedule

#13 of 33 Brisby

Brisby

Second Unit

• 288 posts

Posted April 11 2010 - 12:15 AM

The video title was changed to The Adventures Of The Great Mouse Detective.

Anyways, waiting for the Blu on that one (already have the DVD, not double-dipping until it's Blu).

#14 of 33 Jason_V

Jason_V

Producer

• 4,609 posts
  • LocationBothell, WA

Posted April 11 2010 - 02:02 AM

If you scroll through BB's DVD's or BD's on sale (online), you'll find a bunch of interesting stuff.  The Thing and Catwoman for 9.99.  Bender's Game for 20.99.  Simpsons S20 @34.99.  Amazon has some for less, including a lower price on Up in the Air BD. 

#15 of 33 TravisR

TravisR

Studio Mogul

• 21,457 posts
  • LocationThe basement of the FBI building

Posted April 11 2010 - 03:53 AM

I'll be picking up A Nightmare On Elm Street on Blu-ray.

Thanks for the prices, guys! 

#16 of 33 EricSchulz

EricSchulz

Producer

• 4,454 posts

Posted April 11 2010 - 04:15 AM

nothing...not even The Great Mouse Detective.

#17 of 33 Nelson Au

Nelson Au

Executive Producer

• 11,060 posts

Posted April 11 2010 - 04:17 AM

I look forward to the review of the Apollo 13 blu ray. My SD disc died and I didn't the HD-Disc, I'm sure it will be a great release and it's on my list to pick-up!

#18 of 33 David Norman

David Norman

Screenwriter

• 1,969 posts
  • LocationCharlotte, NC

Posted April 11 2010 - 04:27 AM

Possible help on a couple titles

Universal Studios Facebook page has a $5 off coupon available -- It think expires either 4/30 or 5/31.   Pirate Radio looks like the only new title available from that studio so may be bit more $$$.   If so then PR for 16.99 or 17.99 at Target and BB.

www.facebook.com/universalstudiosentertainment

You need to sign into Facebook (or create a new account), become a "Fan" at the Universal site and then you should be able to get 2 coupons per account ( 2 per computer).   If you have a 2nd/3rd computer it appears you can create another account and get additional coupons -- or you can create a dummy account if you don't wish to share your FB information with Universal.  

The coupon states $5 off Regularly Priced Bluray so there is a bit of a YMMV here depending on how the folks interpret that.    Several people got some of the $10 titles last week from BB  like Fletch, Knocked Up, and Sarah Marshall which still appear to be on sale this week so may be worth a try.  Many others got denied due to the restrictions

#19 of 33 ScottJH

ScottJH

Second Unit

• 483 posts

Posted April 11 2010 - 05:14 AM

There is also a buy 2 get $5 off "new-to-Blu" Universal promotion going on @ Amazon. Apollo 13 is one of the titles to choose from.
http://www.amazon.co..._rd_i=193640011

#20 of 33 Robbie S

Robbie S

Auditioning

• 12 posts

Posted April 11 2010 - 09:33 AM

Forgive me if this a touch off topic, but does anyone know of a reliable source for checking the differences between multiple relases of the same film?  I think this is already the 3rd Gone With The Wind Blu Ray release, and I don't know which edition I would want.  I used to use Amazon, but they don't seem to list edition features like they used to, and to further complicate matters, the reviews that come up can sometimes refer to other editions.  THANKS!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users