Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

Vague Memories and DVDs

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 of 14 OFFLINE   bretmaverick2

bretmaverick2

Supporting Actor

• 548 posts

Posted April 08 2010 - 01:46 AM

So as I am reading through news items on DVD releases, it brings to mind some questions that I have, particular about some detective shows.

Over the years, I know that there were some crossovers among different detective series (Law & Order and Homicide, for example).

A lot of these series have been released on DVD but I am wondering about the crossovers between shows and how they are handled on DVD releases.

I guess one example that I have in mind is the cross over between Magnum, PI and Murder, She Wrote.   I remember the crossover (vaguely) and was wondering if the crossover episodes are included on the proper season sets of the DVD releases??

And can anyone list other crossovers (drama, detective shows, comedies) and how they are handled on their DVD releases.  Shoot, feel free to list crossovers even if the series has not been released on DVD.

Thanks for any info provided.

#2 of 14 OFFLINE   jamoon2006

jamoon2006

Stunt Coordinator

• 138 posts

Posted April 08 2010 - 04:09 AM

For the examples you raised, the cross-over episodes of "Murder, She Wrote" and "Magnum, PI" were included on the respective season sets of each show.  Ditto the "Magnum" and "Simon & Simon" cross-over.

The individual "Homicide" seasons did not contain the L&O cross-overs, but the A&E Complete Series release contained them.  I believe the individual L&O seasons contain the "Homicide" episodes (but I may be wrong).

Sometimes it works out; "Murder, She Wrote," "Magnum" and "Simon" are all Universal properties.  But in the case of other shows, the cross-overs can't always make the leap between studios.  Case in point: "The Pretender" and "Profiler" had a few cross-overs, but the DVD sets don't contain the episodes from the other series.

#3 of 14 Guest__*

Guest__*

Posted April 08 2010 - 09:40 AM

In the early 60's, "Hawaiian Eye", "77 Sunset Strip", "Bourbon Street Beat", and "Surfside Six" had crossovers all the time.

#4 of 14 OFFLINE   Joe Lugoff

Joe Lugoff

Screenwriter

• 2,095 posts

Posted April 08 2010 - 10:18 AM

Originally Posted by Richard Villafana 

In the early 60's, "Hawaiian Eye", "77 Sunset Strip", "Bourbon Street Beat", and "Surfside Six" had crossovers all the time.
What really crossed over for those shows were the scripts.  I've read that the Warner Bros. shows all used basically the same scripts, with just the character names and settings changed.

#5 of 14 OFFLINE   Joseph Bolus

Joseph Bolus

Screenwriter

• 2,219 posts

Posted April 08 2010 - 10:31 AM

One caveat on the Magnum PI/Murder She Wrote crossover:

The Magnum PI episode "Novel Connection" included on the "Murder She Wrote" Season 3 set mistakenly included the non-cliffhanger syndicated version of the ep.  The proper version of the first part of the crossover ep is included on the Magnum PI Season 7 set -- along with the proper "Magnum on Ice - Part 2" from "Murder She Wrote".  So you really need the "Magnum PI Season 7" set in order to view the crossover ep the way it originally aired.

BTW, Magnum and Jessica Fletcher made a *terrific* team.  It's too bad this was the only time they worked together.
Joseph
---------------

#6 of 14 OFFLINE   bretmaverick2

bretmaverick2

Supporting Actor

• 548 posts

Posted April 09 2010 - 01:18 AM

Anyone know of any other crossovers that go directly from an episode of one series to be concluded on the next???

I had forgotten about the Magnum PI/Simon & Simon?  Was there a S&S/Murder, She Wrote?

#7 of 14 OFFLINE   Bert Greene

Bert Greene

Second Unit

• 408 posts

Posted April 09 2010 - 02:24 AM

One curious crossover (because it crossed 'genre' lines) was an episode of "The Nurses" from 1965, which concluded on an episode of "For the People."  Same producer, I believer. 

#8 of 14 Guest__*

Guest__*

Posted April 09 2010 - 05:18 AM

Originally Posted by bretmaverick2 

Anyone know of any other crossovers that go directly from an episode of one series to be concluded on the next???

I had forgotten about the Magnum PI/Simon & Simon?  Was there a S&S/Murder, She Wrote?
"Buffy the Vampire Slayer" and "Angel" used to do that occaisionally.  :)

#9 of 14 Guest__*

Guest__*

Posted April 09 2010 - 05:18 AM

"Buffy the Vampire Slayer" and "Angel" used to do that occaisionally.  :)

#10 of 14 OFFLINE   Theodore J. Mooney

Theodore J. Mooney

Supporting Actor

• 538 posts

Posted April 09 2010 - 05:29 AM

Happy Days and its spin-off, Laverne & Shirley, did that once.

Music Video of the Week (Feb. 8th-14th):
 ("Hands To Heaven" sung by Breathe)

"I Love Lucy wasn't just a title" ~ Desi Arnaz
"Desi Arnaz was the love of my life" ~ Lucille Ball

#11 of 14 OFFLINE   Jack P

Jack P

Producer

• 3,560 posts

Posted April 09 2010 - 06:07 AM

"Adam-12 " and "The D.A." and Shout! was not able to get the "D.A." episode for the Adam-12 S4 set (though the Adam-12 episode doesn't end on a cliffhanger;  we just don't see what happened at the arrested man's trial)

#12 of 14 OFFLINE   bmasters9

bmasters9

Supporting Actor

• 594 posts

Posted April 10 2010 - 06:11 AM

Originally Posted by Theodore J. Mooney 

Happy Days and its spin-off, Laverne & Shirley, did that once.
I think I recall hearing somewhere that "Marcus Welby, M.D." had a crossover w/"Owen Marshall" in 1971.
"CBS Sports presents...The Prudential College Football Report, sponsored by The Prudential, offering a full range of insurance and other financial services. The Prudential: the Rock...it's strong, it's on the move, it's bigger than life."

(Don Robertson's opening from The Prudential College Football Report in the 1986 season, modified from what it was in 1985, in that "other financial services" was said instead of just "financial services")

#13 of 14 OFFLINE   FrankPitt

FrankPitt

Stunt Coordinator

• 59 posts

Posted April 10 2010 - 09:08 AM

Third Watch had a crossover with ER, although I'm not sure if the Third Watch episode is included in the ER's Season 8 set.

Third Watch also crossed over into the short-lived Medical Investigation (where the fate of TW character Carlos was determined), but DVDs of TW have stalled, so it's doubtful we'll ever see the first half, let alone the conclusion, on disc.

#14 of 14 OFFLINE   ChrisCook

ChrisCook

Screenwriter

• 1,514 posts

Posted April 10 2010 - 09:44 AM

"Touched by an Angel" has all of its crossovers with "Promised Land" released on Touched by an Angel: The Third Season, Vol. 1, The Third Season, Vol. 2, and The Fourth Season, Vol. 1 with the exception of the final crossover episodes, "Vengeance Is Mine" and "Saving Grace".  Unfortunately, CBS/Paramount has no plans to continue season releases of "Angel".

In the second season, "Promised Land" also had a crossover that concluded on the same night with "Diagnosis Murder".  "Total Security" and "Promises to Keep" have yet to be released on DVD.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users