What's new

High End Touch Screen Remote - The perfect IPAD app? (1 Viewer)

buggs

Grip
Real Name
Scott
Sorry if this may have been covered, but I did not see anything in my search.

I am definatley not an apple fanboy and have been taking quite a bit of joy bashing the IPAD the last couple of weeks... But then I was sitting in my theater last weekend and it just hit me.

The IPAD would make a fantastic touch screen remote similar to the high end Creston touch panels but at a fraction of the cost.

All you would need to make this work would be an IP to IR blaster similar to the ITach:
www.globalcache.com/products/itach/ip2irspecs/

Then it just takes a well written app for your whole home control needs.

Thoughts?

buggs

Grip
Real Name
Scott
I actually found that Crestron and Control4 are coming out with IPAD apps, but of course they want you to connect to their control systems... Not exactly what I was thinking of.

In my concept, I think you would use a simple IP to IR blaster and directly control all of your systems. Inexpensive yet extremely powerful.

I am not an IPHONE / IPAD developer, but it is just another language... If it doesn't show up, I will have to consider doing it myself.

Is this something you would be interested in?

buggs

Grip
Real Name
Scott
Ok, I have my plan...

I am going with the Command Fusion system and their iViewer app for the iPad. The costs will be about $120 for each Global Cache IP to IR appliance I want and $150 for the Command Fusion GUI designer kit.

That plus the cost of an iPad and this system should be high end on a real budget.

I am an application developer and I have a good friend who is a graphic designer so I think between the two of us we can put together a very high end system. But even if you didn't come to the game with the skills we have, I think you could create a very nice system using these tools and available templates.

I am kind of suprised at how quiet this site has become. I haven't been on since I finished the theater room, but wow nobody is interested in chatting about a DIY rome system???

I like this theme for a Crestron unit and will take several design cues from it. But in the end it will be my own design.

Parker Clack

Schizophrenic Man
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Parker
This is really cool. I think it would great to have this in the Apple area too.

If you want I can post this thread in there too.

Parker Clack

Schizophrenic Man
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Parker
Do you think you could develop an app for the iPad so that people that didn't have the skills you have could use it and set up their own system?

mattCR

Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt
I just realized if there is an IP to IR device, setting this up via an iPad app would be surprisingly easy. Making the app "pretty" would be the hard part, but making the app function exactly as planned would be a snap... hmm.

buggs

Grip
Real Name
Scott
That is right. We are going to work on a template that can then be customized for each of our inidividual needs.

I am pretty sure we are not going to go into the business of selling this product so I will probably just put it out for usage. That also means that I will not be looking to support the template either.

HtHero2010

Auditioning
Real Name
James
Seriously I might buy an iPad just for your app (okay so there might be a couple other reasons too, Lol)

I would partner with some app developer to make it look "pretty" though. I would bet you could make a fortune! UI is a big deal with these apps. Let us know how it goes!

Phil Taylor

Supporting Actor
I recall someone somewhere mentioning a device that turns an iPod touch into a universal remote - couldn't find it but IIRC it had Red in the name ... but I did find this from years back that is an involved process that makes an iPod an IR remote --
http://www.engadget.com/2004/07/27/how-to-turn-your-ipod-in-to-a-universal-infrared-remote-control/

Dave@Arnold

Auditioning
If you have a chance, take a look at the "Touch IR+ Universal Remote & PC Control" iPhone/iPod Touch app, and the free PC companion software. Allows you to create completely custom remote interfaces on the iPhone using your own designs/graphics/buttons/backgrounds, etc. Also provides direct integration with USB-UIRT and ability to execute commands, run programs, and control your PC from your iPhone/iPod. If you are an IRCommand2 user, you can drive IRCommand2 devices and buttons from your iPhone using a fully customized/personalized interface, opening it up to other IR dongles, X10, etc. If you're a Windows Media Center user, control it all from a remote that looks just like the physical MCE remotes - but on your iPod. iPad version in the works.

Great for HTPC-ers.

App Store: [Link: itunes.apple.com

Web Site (PC Software and support): http://touch-ir.webs.com

Real Name
Charlie Etzel
I have an iphone and currently I can run my PC from my phone, this includes using it to go to the next track, pause,volume, stop etc in I tunes. Its called Air Mouse and it works great. I would think that it would be something they could do from the ipad as well. Its basically just a mouse but also has a mini keyboard that can be used from the phone as well.

Pioneer also has an app that can run all of the controls of there receivers and other eqipement such as DVD players etc.Its Called icontrol, it was a free app so I downlaoded it just to see how it would work, I dont have pioneer equipment but this is a very cool idea. It has a demo mode and you can basically do every remote control function from the phone.

Charlie

RobertR

Senior HTF Member
Originally Posted by Robster85

They are now working on a system specific for the iPad since it has HD capabilities but the app in it's state now works fine.

I like the looks of that a lot, particularly the Redeye mini. At $499 for the iPad + $49 for the Redeye mini, it's going to be much cheaper than a high end Pronto, and much sexier as well. My only question would be can the buttons be custom designed.

zzaa11111

Auditioning
Real Name
niuniu
[FONT= 宋体]Shoes you like[/FONT]

[FONT= 宋体]Do you want to have a comfort shoes to fit your foot, please land on our website choose you fell satisfaction's product ,We supply all kinds of styles of sports wear,jeans,handbag,hat,sport shoes such as air Jordan, Nike, nike dunk, nike tn ,nike kobe, Adidas, Puma,redmonkey d so on.you can see my website![/FONT][FONT= 宋体]The payment we accept paypal ,Western Union and money gram.[/FONT]

[FONT= 宋体] I hope you can find you like and contact with me ![/FONT]

[FONT= 宋体]Website: [/FONT][FONT= 宋体][COLOR= red]http://www.okebay.com [/COLOR][/FONT]

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks