Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

Looking for a new HDMI out video card

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
2 replies to this topic

#1 of 3 OFFLINE   Michael Harris

Michael Harris

Screenwriter

• 1,344 posts

Posted April 07 2010 - 09:35 AM

Currently I have an ATI 3450 video card.  When I was running XP, the HDMI out passed both video and audio.  When I upgrated to VISTA Home Premium, only video was passed.  This is a know issue for VISTA versions of Catalyst and looks like it won't be fixed.  Not too big of an issue since I have digital out from my sound card but I would like to pass the HDMI signal to my new amp and then to the TV.  Any recommendations?

#2 of 3 OFFLINE   mattCR

mattCR

Executive Producer

• 10,025 posts
  • LocationOverland Park, KS

Posted April 07 2010 - 10:41 AM

I've almost never had any issues passing bitstream with Vista, though you may require something like FFDShow to handle it (this will be true of any other card you purchase).

I would recommend the ATI5450, as it's the cheapest viable card that supports passing DTS-MA/DD-HD and lossless 7.1 (LPCM) audio over HDMI.. 

At this point, Nvidia doesn't provide such a card at all :(  (no DTSMA/DDHD in any of their offerings) which crosses them out for many.

trakt.tv

Ask Me about HTPC! (Threads in HTPC / PMs always responded to)

This signature is povided by MediaBrowser 3 Trakt Plugin: Media Browser 3

#3 of 3 OFFLINE   Michael Harris

Michael Harris

Screenwriter

• 1,344 posts

Posted April 07 2010 - 12:33 PM

Thanks.  I looked up the card you recommended and the reviews on Tom's Hardware look good.

As for the problems with HDMI audio on the 3450, just do a Google search on "3450 HDMI Audio".  Ain't pretty.

BTW, the primary reason for needing a new card is that my current one is showing signs of potential failure.

EDIT:  I bought the card and it works exactly as advertised.  Now that both my Blu-Ray and HTPC are on HDMI, I was able to remove six sets of cable from my rats nest.