What's new

WB chat 1970s series (1 Viewer)

younger1968

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
paul young
I attended the WB Chat last night, but missed the first hour. I did see the common questions came up around ALICE, Batman 1966, Growing Pains, CHiPs, DC Comics, etc. I get the feeling there are some releases in the pipeline, like Alice and the S2 - Growing Pains. Has anyone have info they like to share around possible series that may be continued or released?

dhammer

Second Unit
Real Name
David
I just read the transcripts. What a waste of time. These haughty studios act like fans are some lowly peasants, who once in a great while, they condescend to let us ask their majesties a handful of questions. The answers are never really satisfying. You walk away with more questions and confusion.

Take the Batman1966 question. They answered that it would be awesome to see it on dvd and that it is frustrating for all parties...what does that really mean? Are they working on it?

It is as I always suspected, retro tv sales don't pay well in general. So if your not going to release a show then sell it to someone who will, like Shout.

Gary OS

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gary
I just read the transcript and what little was spoken of concerning 50's/60's material wasn't encouraging. I came away with the distinct impression that there's almost nothing coming from those two decades. I believe they said they were looking into "Maverick" and that's about it for the older shows. Unless they are renting a bunch of these out, it didn't sound promising in the least.

Gary "looks like the Archive is the only hope left" O.

dhammer

Second Unit
Real Name
David
I'm sure someone will defend the studio and say they didn't have to speak at all. Let's be honest, what is the point of having this forum if the comments are going to be, "We're considering it", "It's on the long list", "We're looking at some of those tiles".

Why not just state which titles you are working on or what to expect in the future? I will never understand they way these studios work.

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
Originally Posted by dhammer

I'm sure someone will defend the studio and say they didn't have to speak at all.
That's not defending them. It's the truth.

I do agree though that Warners saying what they are working on is a good idea. And I guess there's some value to them hearing directly from people about what titles they want to see.

Gary OS

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gary
Quote:
Originally Posted by TravisR

I do agree though that Warners saying what they are working on is a good idea. And I guess there's some value to them hearing directly from people about what titles they want to see.

Yeah, but they completely blew off Dave's question, which really burned me up considering who he is. He's always asked about multiple titles in the past. And they just blew his question off without even trying to really answer with any specifics. I'm sorry, but that was just a rude response they gave him.

Gary "oh, and the defending vs. just telling the truth comment is not an either/or situation - it can be both" O.

Sam Favate

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Favate
Take the Batman1966 question. They answered that it would be awesome to see it on dvd and that it is frustrating for all parties...what does that really mean? Are they working on it?
I agree that it was frustrating to read questions that I really wanted to see answered, only to have them not answer the question. Similar non-specific answers were given in regard to the Filmation Superman and Batman cartoons from the 60s, and other titles.

That said, it is a cool thing that they do these chats, and consider that the stream of information works both ways - they likely walk away with an idea of what people are clamoring for. So that's a good thing.

DeWilson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Denny
When I looked over the transcript and got a feeling that the selection of what's released in the Warner Archive isn't up to the TV/Animation side, but up to the Warner Archive side. (No mentions of upcoming TV Movies in The Archive were mentioned in the chat I noticed.)

As for "Maverick", they all but said that's it's going to either be released by the Archive or Shout! without saying it - it was the most ovious intended response in the whole chat.

Funny no mention of 77 SUNSET STRIP with a new movie version (set in the 1960's) in the works.

It would have been nice if a representive of Shout! was on hand to talk about their plans for future WB TV releases.

Do we really need these chats when say quarterly interviews (with submited Q&A) posted on tvshowsondvd.com or here would be more effective?

HenryDuBrow

Screenwriter
Real Name
Henry.
That's true enough David, they should give these titles to smaller companies in license as these surely shouldn't be expecting similar sales numbers the majors do. Cult titles simply sell less than the latest hits, that's common knowledge, so it'd be a nice convenient way for the big studios to get smaller titles out - and of course the fans off their backs about it.

HenryDuBrow

Screenwriter
Real Name
Henry.
Warner said 'no plans at this time' last night, I still hope they've written it behind their ears now and look into it, as mentioned in the other thread here wonders never cease. Would be great if they handled it themselves, or in the least let another company have a go at it.

Bryan^H

Senior HTF Member

It is as I always suspected, retro tv sales don't pay well in general. So if your not going to release a show then sell it to someone who will, like Shout.
Yup, and they pretty much answered the question of farming out titles by saying they like to release their classic titles themselves. AKA: hold the titles in limbo forever, depriving fans of classic tv while they scoff at our pleas for a release.

Gary OS

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gary
Quote:
Originally Posted by TravisR

I didn't say "telling the truth", I meant that it's the truth that they don't have to do these chats.

That was a mistype on my part. I knew what you meant and it still doesn't change the validity of what I wrote after you: It's not an either/or situation. People can very well have as their motive a defense of the studio in question and still make the comment about the studio not having to do a chat at all. One does not negate the other.

Gary "no biggie either way" O.

WaveCrest

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Richard
Disappointed in the answer regarding a DVD release of Harry O. I'd like to see Shout! Factory release this if it was possible.

DeWilson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Denny
Originally Posted by Bryan^H

Yup, and they pretty much answered the question of farming out titles by saying they like to release their classic titles themselves. AKA: hold the titles in limbo forever, depriving fans of classic tv while they scoff at our pleas for a release.
Then they the heck did they do a deal with SHOUT! in the first place?

The truth is the studios don't care about the classic tv fans like they did the classic movie fans. It's easier to deal with a single film,or a handful of films in a box set, than a TV series with lots of shows to clear and remaster.

Now we have Blu-Ray to deal with as well!

Neil Brock

Senior HTF Member
From the perspective of a 50s and 60s TV fan, we know they have little interest in a regular release on any of the titles still sitting in the vault. So, that being the case, Warner Archives would be the only avenue they would use for these series. Not having a rep. there from that department renders the chat superfluous to those of us who's area of interest that is. Since they won't say it, my sources, take them for what they're worth, tell me Maverick, Cheyenne and Strip are being worked on for Archive releases. I'll try to get further details.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hemolens
Recent bookmarks